Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

I always wondered if the tolerances on huge engines scale with the size, or if they're pretty comparable to your typical car engine.

They're comparable to your typical car engine, a couple thousandths, for bearings, bores and critical surfaces at least, inspection covers and whatnot might be a bit different.

Pro-tip, do not try and run an engine that size on oil that has been sitting outside in -20F weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

KozmoNaut posted:

When something like that is a mere software switch away, I view it as artificially limiting the capabilities of the hardware I bought. It's the same as when Tesla puts the same full-size battery in all cars, but artificially limit the capacity in software unless you buy the next level up.

It's wasteful and abhorrent. And subscription services for features your car should by all rights already have, is even worse.

:capitalism:

The issue you're referring to is "artificial scarcity" and while the limit is usually created somewhere not so close to your person, it is there in almost any transaction when there is imperfect information (e.g. any real capitalist economy) by the parties. It is exactly 0% different than charging more for a particular paint color or limiting the number of vehicles produced in a "special run". You didn't buy (that portion of) the hardware even if it's in your garage. You liked the deal enough to take it even with its limitations and in a way that was neither deceptive nor retroactively limited, so the only thing that has changed is your perception rather than your reality.

Now don't get me wrong: I agree that it's wasteful and abhorrent, but that's a flaw in capitalism as a general concept and nothing about software-gating is inherently new or unusual or even intrinsically predatory. It comes down to the details: If they're doing it because it brings the entry cost down to a level that some consumer segment is happier with and reduces the cost to Tesla, then it's a win for all involved; but if it's done in a psychologically manipulative way (e.g. the way most freemium games operate) to induce people to spend more than they would otherwise be happy with, then it is predatory. If the marginal upgrade charge is the same as the original discount (e.g. your 60kWh-limited cost is $5k less than a 75kWh and the upgrade costs the same $5k), then it's almost certainly the former.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

keseph posted:

Now don't get me wrong: I agree that it's wasteful and abhorrent, but that's a flaw in capitalism as a general concept

Which is why we have to abolish capitalism, by force if necessary.

Artificial scarcity and planned obsolescence are symptoms of the disease.

This is also why I advocate for open hardware and software, and against locked down systems.

E: I'll stop ranting now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got scammed into reading this poo poo article about Tesla's thermal management system, and I just wanted to pop in to say how much I hate EV "journalists"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

I got scammed into reading this poo poo article about Tesla's thermal management system, and I just wanted to pop in to say how much I hate EV "journalists"

I hate that EV "journalist" too now. JFC that article was just loving awful

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elviscat posted:

By whom, a Tesla bro coworker? I have one who's also big into Bitcoin, huge surprise.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

By whom, a Tesla bro coworker? I have one who's also big into Bitcoin, huge surprise.

No, the news algorithm knows I like EVs, and I saw the cover photo with the dude holding the valve body, and I went "I like valve bodies, and would like to read an article about Tesla's valve bodies."

Then the article had one sentence about the purpose of that valve body.

I should've peeped the url first.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Kozmo was saying how insensed he is that a company would dare to do such a thing, and I'm thinking, what company doesn't, and hasn't for like decades?

Ah, my bad.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So I have been fending off the Tesla FanBois and I'm now focused on getting the best 2-year lease on a Kia Niro EV to replace my 2000 Echo with 267k miles on it.

With a weekly commute to LA the carpool sticker will be a good thing.

The best lease deal I have seen is $2495 down and $299 a month. I'll have to negotiate on the down and the miles/year.

Oh and of course the first dealer to respond to my inquiry comes back with an entirely different price ($468/mo.), IGNORING that I was quoting the Kia page.

My CR is over 800.

I sent the above. Let the FUN begin.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gently caress you guys get cheap leases. That's nothing, that's a rounding error.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

E-tron lease (admittedly after discount)

vs Taycan

Lol

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

E-tron lease (admittedly after discount)

vs Taycan

Lol

Seems entirely reasonable given the different price. :shrug:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

Seems entirely reasonable given the different price. :shrug:

Nope. The Audi one is just showing the difference between purchase price and residual value, the porsche is the purchase price. The Audi is a bit cheaper - 110k vs 150k. But the porsche offer is just way worse value.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Nope. The Audi one is just showing the difference between purchase price and residual value, the porsche is the purchase price. The Audi is a bit cheaper - 110k vs 150k. But the porsche offer is just way worse value.

How the hell do you config an e-tron 50 to be 110k CHF? Does it emit oysters? Is the seat massage by Keira Knightly in person?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

How the hell do you config an e-tron 50 to be 110k CHF? Does it emit oysters? Is the seat massage by Keira Knightly in person?

In Switzerland, pretty easily, even with a 10k discount.

http://www.audi.ch/AYRAL5HE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

In Switzerland, pretty easily, even with a 10k discount.

http://www.audi.ch/AYRAL5HE

I didn't go through the wizard, but you've linked the Sportback version. That is, as the Dane has been protesting, paying more and getting less.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

knox_harrington posted:

We really need a Scrooge McDuck “That’s Porsche!” They’ve been famous for $1000 floor mats and poo poo long before EVs were a thing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
After having driven the Model 3 for a bit, I feel like there is something that I don't really like about the Model 3 at speed 70+ mph. It feels a bit "nervous" for lack of a better word. I don't think it's anything inherent in the Model 3 but I'm guessing it's a combination of the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM tires and overly stiff damping of the shocks. I've used MXM before on other cars and its a fine all season high mileage tire but the Tesla OEM version at the high pressures that maximize efficiency combined with the shocks give it an odd feel at speed. Combined with steering that is precise but not overly communicative means I have less confidence it in than with other cars. I've driven plenty of stiffly sprung sports sedans before including owning a BMW M3 and tuned Evo X so it's not just a stiff suspension issue. I wonder if an upgraded suspension and different tires would give it better road feel.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Does Tesla still ship cars at like 45 psi? I remember a tweet saying it's fine to drop them to like 39 and is a big improvement to ride quality.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The psi spec in the manual is 42 psi. I haven't check the TPMS reading but will do so.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

VideoGameVet posted:

So I have been fending off the Tesla FanBois and I'm now focused on getting the best 2-year lease on a Kia Niro EV to replace my 2000 Echo with 267k miles on it.

The best lease deal I have seen is $2495 down and $299 a month. I'll have to negotiate on the down and the miles/year.

Oh and of course the first dealer to respond to my inquiry comes back with an entirely different price ($468/mo.), IGNORING that I was quoting the Kia page.

My CR is over 800.

This is every interaction I have ever had with a Kia/Hyundai/Genesis dealership. They seem to have modeled themselves after the 1970s experience.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yuns posted:

After having driven the Model 3 for a bit, I feel like there is something that I don't really like about the Model 3 at speed 70+ mph. It feels a bit "nervous" for lack of a better word. I don't think it's anything inherent in the Model 3 but I'm guessing it's a combination of the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM tires and overly stiff damping of the shocks. I've used MXM before on other cars and its a fine all season high mileage tire but the Tesla OEM version at the high pressures that maximize efficiency combined with the shocks give it an odd feel at speed. Combined with steering that is precise but not overly communicative means I have less confidence it in than with other cars. I've driven plenty of stiffly sprung sports sedans before including owning a BMW M3 and tuned Evo X so it's not just a stiff suspension issue. I wonder if an upgraded suspension and different tires would give it better road feel.

Dumping the lovely Contisilents that mine came with for Pilot Sport 4S’ was the best thing. They put absolute trash tires on them for some reason.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

MrYenko posted:

Dumping the lovely Contisilents that mine came with for Pilot Sport 4S’ was the best thing. They put absolute trash tires on them for some reason.
What tire pressures are you running on the Pilots?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yuns posted:

What tire pressures are you running on the Pilots?

42psi.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
So I've floating the idea about getting a Bolt, possibly. Maybe... I've seen some cheap off-lease ones come up around the area.

The dealer I bought my Volt from claimed to have a few Bolts on the lot. 3 new ones and 2 used ones. The new 2020 ones where 27k-28k They had a bunch of pictures of each one online, the under hood pictures showed they all had DCFC. (DCFC models have a large high voltage connector with 2 wires sticking out of the front of the power distribution box)

I decided to run up there and take a look.. When I arrived I discovered ALL of the new ones where NOT equipped with DCFC. :doh: Looking further, it appears the under-hood picture was identical on all of them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

If I'm reading this right and the lease monthly cost is $244... how is that even possible?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

MrOnBicycle posted:

If I'm reading this right and the lease monthly cost is $244... how is that even possible?

If that's with zero drive offs, it would just be huge discounts. My guess is that it's full msrp, minus the listed discount, and a huge down payment. The lease terms are cropped out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah for $244/mo I'd jump on it. I'm actually kinda annoyed at how few lease (aka non-existent) options for EVs are available around me.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

VideoGameVet posted:

My CR is over 800.

I’m interested in what they have to say in response. I’m going to guess that Kia’s national lease deals left out the tax, title and licensing, and the dealership figured that into their quote. Were they quoting on a specific vehicle in their inventory that has more options?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MrOnBicycle posted:

I can't get to the Volvo/Polestar LA site, but the regular Polestar Configurator gets $244/mo with a 36mo lease, 12k may and about $18k down, so maybe around 9k down if those incentives kick in and don't include the tax rebate?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that's about right. I put in $8k down and a trade in of $12k (that's a little low, KBB said $14k I'm just playing it safe)

I just can't find a v60 polestar around me. I think they're sold out. And the 2021 ones aren't out? Maybe I'll just wait a few years and pick up an off lease CPO one.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Don’t put money down a lease.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Never ever put money down on a lease. If the car were to be totaled driving off the lot you would instantly lose all that money. There is an alternative knows as MSDs where you can put money up front that you get back at the end of the lease to drop the monthly payment.

Also check out sites like Lease Hacker where people post their deals to give you an idea of what's possible. If you live in a non flyover state or are willing to have a car shipped you can just spend $200-$500 and hire a broker who will do absolutely everything for you.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shamino posted:

Never ever put money down on a lease. If the car were to be totaled driving off the lot you would instantly lose all that money. There is an alternative knows as MSDs where you can put money up front that you get back at the end of the lease to drop the monthly payment.

Also check out sites like Lease Hacker where people post their deals to give you an idea of what's possible. If you live in a non flyover state or are willing to have a car shipped you can just spend $200-$500 and hire a broker who will do absolutely everything for you.

Would wrecking the car on Day 1 not be covered by your insurance? I am guessing not, presumably due to shittiness of car insurance in the US, but it seems absolutely crazy from a Euro perspective. The lease agreements require that you get full cover insurance anyway.

I have managed to wean myself off the idea of leasing a Taycan by realising that if I get an e-tron 55 instead, after 36 months the money saved would be enough to buy the Tacan's residual value.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Shamino posted:

Never ever put money down on a lease. If the car were to be totaled driving off the lot you would instantly lose all that money.

You can insure yourself against that, though. At least in my neck of the wood.

Also, if it’s a minor amount (to you) I wouldn’t sweat it. Think of it as a deductible.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks, I've never had a lease so this is new to me. That being said, still can't find a Polestar so I guess it doesn't matter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn here you'd be happy to get a gas Polo for $200/month wtf

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

Would wrecking the car on Day 1 not be covered by your insurance? I am guessing not, presumably due to shittiness of car insurance in the US, but it seems absolutely crazy from a Euro perspective. The lease agreements require that you get full cover insurance anyway.

I have managed to wean myself off the idea of leasing a Taycan by realising that if I get an e-tron 55 instead, after 36 months the money saved would be enough to buy the Tacan's residual value.

Yes you're supposed to have full coverage but generally you'll get diminished value because guess what, the car is used now. Most leases have gap insurance for this reason but even then, why deal with it in the first place? Also what if you return the car? If you do MSDs (multiple security deposits, aka buy down the rate) you get that money back when you turn it in. You don't get down payment money back. The same applies to a trade in...it's better to just get a check from the dealer and not let that money come near the lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Goober Peas posted:

This is every interaction I have ever had with a Kia/Hyundai/Genesis dealership. They seem to have modeled themselves after the 1970s experience.

Fortunately the Escondido dealership is EV central ... and besides I liked the Niro EV better.

And so ...

Decent 15k mile/year lease deal.

Only sad is the 110v in the garage isn’t “good enough”. So I ordered the Costco 220v/110v charger.

Didn’t realize that California has a state rebate of $2K cash either.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 30, 2020