Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

OwlFancier posted:

Government briefing notes got leaked I see.

"Queen to be interred on golden throne, young offenders institutes to be renamed 'martyr academys', report to your nearest commissar for more information"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"Queen to be interred on golden throne, young offenders institutes to be renamed 'martyr academys', report to your nearest commissar for more information"

Marmite to be renamed Corpse-Starch.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Z the IVth posted:

Marmite to be renamed Corpse-Starch.

Glad the grim darkness of the far future has stronger food labelling standards.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1299806359106596867

I'm probably overthinking this, but I've had a thought niggling at me for a while that either the Republicans or the Tories will at some point attempt to not only flirt with QAnon but to actually try and harness them to a good old-fashioned moral panic. Trump and his lot seem most likely - I can totally see him just straight up accusing Biden of eating babies in the debates - but I always assume anything out of the Telegraph is a trial balloon being floated by Johnson, and I have to wonder if this is the next dead cat they're lining up.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One concrete example of the damage Qanon poo poo does is terminally cynical libs going "oh look people going on about the 'Hollywood pedophile conspiracy' again *eyeroll*" while ignoring the very real pedophile conspiracy that multiple people are currently in court over

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Johnson announced an investigation into pedophile child trafficking among the elite, even if it was a stupid fake Q one, the royals would pull the rug from under him so fast.

Related, this came up in the crazy political forwards thread and it's good, if best understood through a Protestant/Evangelical lens, but that does explain pizzagaters/qanans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not like you could tell it apart from the normal standard of british journalism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tabloid front page journalism is also a very good example of that "bearing false witness so that people can feel better with zero personal improvement" that it's probably the UK spiritual equivalent of Jack Chick evangelism.

"At least I'm not a pedophile jihadist on benefits. In fact I'm very against those things."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

It's not like you could tell it apart from the normal standard of british journalism.

what country does better journalism?

do you think whatever it is you do is done here to a better or worse standard than elsewhere?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have faith that through hard work and perseverence the UK can manage to be the worst at something that is inherently poo poo.

As far as putting things on shelves go I suspect that most of the world is probably better at it from a maximum labour for minimum pay perspective.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the best surely?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As per that twitter account twisto linked yesterday:
https://twitter.com/BottomStuff/status/1099593030397513730

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say that when I put something on a shelf it usually stays there until it is intentionally removed. And very rarely does it spontaneously go on fire.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Government briefing notes got leaked I see.

Is that because of this?

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1299781777163255814?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's because of a minecraft thing, apparently, just thought it was a funny thing to see trending.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol as if anything we cared about would be about politics or something real

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what country does better journalism?

North Korea

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

MonkeyLibFront posted:

You realise that a reply doesn't always mean I endorse the reasoning, gas turbine is cheaper in the long run than a nuclear reactor, that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Yeah fair enough. It's just funny that the default way to measure everything is, apparently, the direct monetary cost. It's almost as if that doesn't always tell the whole story, and is noticeably imperfect as a measure of the actual, true cost of anything :thunk:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

1922 committee expecting to have their ears bent next week apparently

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
You can taste the relief over at grauniad HQ that they can now run with articles claiming sir haircuts numbers are good with a straight face

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

You can taste the relief over at grauniad HQ that they can now run with articles claiming sir haircuts numbers are good with a straight face

Dan Hodges all ready bringing out the new line:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1300010730327093249?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Well done youre almost level with a government thats overseen an additional 50k deaths and millions extra unemployed.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well done youre almost level with a government thats overseen an additional 50k deaths and millions extra unemployed.

Being even in the polls give’s the government less leeway to kill as many extra people as they would like. Under a different opposition leader who was a clear 15 points behind, they would definitely thinking ‘can we squeeze in another 50,-000’?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

eh its an achievement and obviously the press are happy cause its their achievement

now they can have some leverage over the government without worrying that pulling the lever raises their taxes or reduces misery

e: it musta been real frustrating if you were trying to play hardball with some tory MP at your fancy party because their ethnic cleansing program is a bit gauche and they go "well what are you gonna do? vote for corbyn?"
drat they're right, i definitely can't do that

e2 goddamn it, i can't help escape the feeling that Kier is narratively perfect as the next PM in britains downfall
a total rejection of the democratisation of labour experiment and a literal knighted, bootlicking bagholder by profession anointed by the ChUK demographic
a guy whose job was to ignore state racism fits the UK zeitgeist a lot more than an anti-racist activist did

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 30, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We are a joke of a country

https://twitter.com/ITVCentral/status/1300001040603975680?s=19

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

quote:

Boris Johnson is facing a showdown with furious Conservative MPs over his government’s chaotic handling of Covid-19, as a new poll shows the Tories have surrendered a massive lead over Labour in just five months.

As MPs prepare to return to Westminster on Tuesday, Charles Walker, who is vice-chair of the 1922 committee of Conservative backbenchers, told the Observer that a recent string of U-turns had left many colleagues in despair, with some struggling to support and defend their government to constituents. Governing by U-turn in this way, he said, was unsustainable.

Walker, who is normally counted as a firm Johnson loyalist, said: “Too often it looks like this government licks its finger and sticks it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. This is not a sustainable way to approach the business of governing and government.

Guardian running with Tories sharpening their knives already

The S*n and Torygraph splashing 'Rishi hiking taxes, sad'

quote:

However, the Government insists it still meets its obligation to provide 0.7% of gross national income to international development.

It is hoped the plans could raise the £20billion needed to help pay for debt caused by the coronavirus chaos.

But aides at No10 fear the hikes could derail the economic recovery - with some questioning whether the money could be taken from cuts to Whitehall departments’ current spending budgets.

Senior economists and business leaders have also warned raising taxes in the current recession would be "whistling in the wind".

They have called on Sunak not to raise taxes during the worst recession for 300 years but focus on aiding growth.

It is also feared the proposals would hit the south of England and London more than the rest of the UK.

A Treasury spokesman told the Telegraph: “We do not comment on speculation about tax changes ahead of fiscal events.”

A fun and new thing of criticizing the government, gosh. The photo of Rishi biting his lip and looking nervous is getting a lot of mileage. etc.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh no! Not the poor south of England and London!!!!! They've suffered so much!!!!!!!!!

No offense to all posters living there but the rest of us would be immediately better off if London just hosed off into another dimension. Just a great big smooth crater that we can put a sign up saying 'never again'.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/boquintana/status/1299612701614837760

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Oh no! Not the poor south of England and London!!!!! They've suffered so much!!!!!!!!!

No offense to all posters living there but the rest of us would be immediately better off if London just hosed off into another dimension. Just a great big smooth crater that we can put a sign up saying 'never again'.

Yeah, ditch the most left-wing region of the country, good plan.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I want a breakfast and some tea now

And also to invade Jerusalem, weird

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's an incredibly beige cup of tea.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The whole 'Labour have suddenly caught up in the polls! Tories panicking!' thing is meaningless, because A: it's only one poll, and B: there's still another four years before the next election. If anything comes of this, it'll be the Tories sticking their knives into Johnson's back and choosing someone even worse from the ultra-Brexit wingnut fringe as leader.

Starmer has had absolutely no influence on any of it - it's all self-inflicted on the Tories' part through their sheer callous incompetence. The LOTO might as well have been a wet bag of flour for all the difference it would have made. (And probably preferable to having a member of the loving Trilateral Commission as leader of a supposedly left-wing, pro-worker party.)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Removing Land of Hope and Glory: meaningless symbolism that the PM says we shouldnt bother with

Thank you planes: Totally cool and normal, not at all a distraction from real issues

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, ditch the most left-wing region of the country, good plan.

If it meant the rest of England could receive a more equal portion of funding, job opportunities and investment that would be good probably.

For example, London receives £509m in funding from the Arts Council, whilst the North East receives £56m. 1 organisation in London, the Royal Opera House, received more funding (£74m) than entire regions of the UK.

London has 73 MPs so it also seems a bit useless pouring all the hopes and dreams of a country into a city that has just over 10% of the MPs. But sure, why won't London save us :(

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

e2 goddamn it, i can't help escape the feeling that Kier is narratively perfect as the next PM in britains downfall
a total rejection of the democratisation of labour experiment and a literal knighted, bootlicking bagholder by profession anointed by the ChUK demographic
a guy whose job was to ignore state racism fits the UK zeitgeist a lot more than an anti-racist activist did
Keir is heading straight for a role as Blair Mk. II (Then As Farce ed.), coming in on the back of a hollowed-out and unpopular Conservative government, delivering mostly "market reforms" and at best some surface-level improvements with no staying power (because the media won't allow anything more), enervating the left voter base, and leaving the country completely unprepared for adapting to the future. Although that does depend on the Tories not having any ideas left, and the Dark Enlightenment has loooooots of ideas just waiting for a chance to shine.

also gently caress the NHS Spitfire. you like the NHS and patriotism, so here's World War 2 (which we won, by the way) and the NHS! we are babies, we have pooped ourselves, everything is symbols and culture war. what a joke of a country

this has been a grumpy post. here is a weasel, so far not killed by Ed Davey

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

London would probably be better if it existed as it's own separate city-state like Monaco

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just wait until London starts siphoning off the rest of the UK's medicine and food to maintain the illusion that everything is going swell post brexit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1299806359106596867

I'm probably overthinking this, but I've had a thought niggling at me for a while that either the Republicans or the Tories will at some point attempt to not only flirt with QAnon but to actually try and harness them to a good old-fashioned moral panic. Trump and his lot seem most likely - I can totally see him just straight up accusing Biden of eating babies in the debates - but I always assume anything out of the Telegraph is a trial balloon being floated by Johnson, and I have to wonder if this is the next dead cat they're lining up.

Qanon holds a special place in my heart because it's a conspiracy about how all the rich and powerful people are paedophiles and then that turned out to be true but because it wasn't done through their silly "Ah they're hiding kids in the bottom of Pizza Hut" way where secretly not dead Kennedy's are working with Trump to kill Jennifer Anniston and clone her they just kind of didn't know what to do with it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

Keir is heading straight for a role as Blair Mk. II (Then As Farce ed.), coming in on the back of a hollowed-out and unpopular Conservative government, delivering mostly "market reforms" and at best some surface-level improvements with no staying power (because the media won't allow anything more), enervating the left voter base, and leaving the country completely unprepared for adapting to the future. Although that does depend on the Tories not having any ideas left, and the Dark Enlightenment has loooooots of ideas just waiting for a chance to shine.

also gently caress the NHS Spitfire. you like the NHS and patriotism, so here's World War 2 (which we won, by the way) and the NHS! we are babies, we have pooped ourselves, everything is symbols and culture war. what a joke of a country

this has been a grumpy post. here is a weasel, so far not killed by Ed Davey

blair as farce is a great way of describing it. i was thinking he's some kind of bizzare blair redux but in a lot of ways he's very different and considerably more depressing. blair had ideas at least and was a crazy catholic astrologist or whatever.

i'm still unsure whether kier is stupid, a sap or cynical.

e: Qanon has essentially been absorbed by the british right and encouraged by the british press but in the form of "politicians helping grooming gangs of muslims raping white kids"

e2: lmao remember the child abuse inquiry(s)?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'm still unsure whether kier is stupid, a sap or cynical.

Honestly, it's probably just a bit more of the 'stupid' side, because the thing is, politicians are. I went to uni with people who went into politics and they were just all.... fine? Mediocre, often good with people, but nothing special in the brains department. The smart people were going into banking (there was money in it then), law, business - but not politics. I'm also convinced this is where the expenses scandal etc comes from - people who take the view of "well I would be making loadsa dosh if I had gone into business/banking/law like my mates at uni, but I chose to *swoon* serve the public, saint that I am. So I should just take a bit extra to make up the difference." you couldn't have done those things, you weren't bright enough