Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

You can set the download folder to a different drive. It'll be a LOT slower (run it overnight) but you won't run into storage issues. And if you don't like something, try another one lol

Lexys LOTD is the most popular "super modded" one, Phoenix Flavour is halfway to vanilla and the most popular in that way, then there are a few vanilla+ and a few super whack ones.

The great thing is you can install them and delete them, and even have as many as you like at once and they'll stay separate

Phoenix Flavour also has its own website that can guide you through the process manually from a fresh install of Skyrim SE to the final patching steps. It also covers more manual customization options than if you just let Wabbajack run automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It sucks that all of the face overhaul mods seem to be based around making everyone in Skyrim look fuckable instead of just making the faces look less lovely. Im using that popular WICO one on and even the Gray beards look like boy band guys with beards, and old lady NPCS look like 25 year olds with wrinkles plastered on. The faces do look overall less junky but it's sort of charmless.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Phoenix Flavour also has its own website that can guide you through the process manually from a fresh install of Skyrim SE to the final patching steps. It also covers more manual customization options than if you just let Wabbajack run automatically.

Pretty much all of them do. Lexy's is actually discontinuing the Wabbajack version and it'll be removed from the launcher with the next guide release so I recommend grabbing it now if you don't want to go through the 20hr install process (I've done it three times). This time I just used wabbajack and I sorta miss the customisation but I like having an extra loving day or two lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

veni veni veni posted:

It sucks that all of the face overhaul mods seem to be based around making everyone in Skyrim look fuckable instead of just making the faces look less lovely. Im using that popular WICO one on and even the Gray beards look like boy band guys with beards, and old lady NPCS look like 25 year olds with wrinkles plastered on. The faces do look overall less junky but it's sort of charmless.

I've seen a lot of complaints about WICO that it goes far beyond what an appearance overhaul should. Supposedly it changes stats and attributes of a bunch of NPCs as well. It also breaks a few quests because of said changes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I finally figured out on Nexus Mods that my profile had base Skyrim set as my game and not SE. That would probably explain a lot of my problems.

Can I get recommendations on mods that get me some more merchant options for offloading expensive loot? I know there's some stuff I can do in the skill tree to improve merchant interaction but I don't think it's enough between the higher-tier gear I'm finding now and the crazy potions I used for practice. I'm blowing my money on instructors and mod spell books so I'm surprisingly needing it.

Edit: I'll be trying Extended Leveling Merchants Wallets as a starter. It looks like it scales their money with the player's level.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 25, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are any of the Serana dialogue expansions worth getting? I see two popular ones and apparently they don't conflict? Serana Dialogue Edit and Add-On respectively. Just about to do Dawnguard on this run and wondering if it's worth installing either or both.

Edit: trying them, seem okay so far?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried the add-on one well after completing Dawnguard. In that case, it didn't seem to add too much but I also haven't really be having major conversations with her. I'm about to reach my hand into the toilet and pull out the Sofia follower.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I tried the add-on one well after completing Dawnguard. In that case, it didn't seem to add too much but I also haven't really be having major conversations with her. I'm about to reach my hand into the toilet and pull out the Sofia follower.

If you're anything like me, you'll quickly start to hate her if you spend any amount of time sneaking.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jade Rider posted:

If you're anything like me, you'll quickly start to hate her if you spend any amount of time sneaking.

So... funny you say that... because I laid her off when I started trying to increase my sneak skill!

You'd think in corridors that her yelling, "You're mine!" and blasting off some magic will give me a chance to slink to the blind side of a doorway and put a skewer in some rear end in a top hat's back, but they come in with their eyes wide open so it never counts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you insist on traveling with pack mulesfollowers, always give them the Wait Here far out of sight/sound range of any enemies you plan to engage.

The only nice thing I have to say about Sofia and that Bosmer chick follower whose name I can't immediately remember is that they can be set up to actually stay the hell put and engage enemies from range only (but Inigo and Lucien Flavius can also do this and they are better).

Putting extremely Sneak/Muffle enchanted gear on your followers also makes life with them far less annoying. Feel free to cheat yourself up some 100% Sneak gauntlets for them; I do.

e: Not related to the above, but the Mayhem spell is so wonderful :allears:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 26, 2020

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I almost never use followers and I have yet to regret this choice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does this thread serve double time for Fallout modding?

I'd love to eventually get FO4 VR to not run like poo poo and I hear this is popular, but looking at the files, idgi

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28850?tab=files

There's files for all the DLC, which isn't even included in FO4 VR (I know you can get it working though) then files for downtown, and for interiors, but what about the rest of the game? Unless I'm missing something The areas it appears to address aren't even the problem areas. It's walking around the wasteland that turns it into a jittery mess.

God what a heinous port FO4 VR is. The worst part it you boot it up and you see all the potential but it just runs like total dog poo poo to the point it's almost unplayable for me, despite well meeting the system requirements. :sigh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FO4 modding thread

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So... funny you say that... because I laid her off when I started trying to increase my sneak skill!

You'd think in corridors that her yelling, "You're mine!" and blasting off some magic will give me a chance to slink to the blind side of a doorway and put a skewer in some rear end in a top hat's back, but they come in with their eyes wide open so it never counts.

I was more talking about the fact that she ends all her voice lines while sneaking with some variation of "oh yeah i need to be quiet lol" which gets old fast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jade Rider posted:

I was more talking about the fact that she ends all her voice lines while sneaking with some variation of "oh yeah i need to be quiet lol" which gets old fast.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Serana.

I am walking through the vanilla sneak perks right now. I have heavy armor, which I guess is bad due to a perk that reduces the effect of it. I don't get to do too many sucker stabs yet but I am starting to not be noticed by stuff at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Will the NPCs start to become a problem when I try to do stabbies? It's okay for now stuff so far.

Should I switch out the vanilla perks now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh, I thought you were talking about Serana.

I am walking through the vanilla sneak perks right now. I have heavy armor, which I guess is bad due to a perk that reduces the effect of it. I don't get to do too many sucker stabs yet but I am starting to not be noticed by stuff at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Will the NPCs start to become a problem when I try to do stabbies? It's okay for now stuff so far.

Should I switch out the vanilla perks now?

Sneaking and wearing heavy armor are general at odds with each other, both using vanilla perks and most of the popular perk mods. If you're using vanilla perks and don't mind them I wouldn't worry about switching out right now. If you ever decide to start from scratch I'd recommend looking at them.

Speaking of Perk mods, anybody seen this one

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/104349

it goes a bit beyond perks because it tries to remake crafting and bartering as well through the crafting and speech perks and it merges both armor classes to make room for an unarmored skill.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

I hadn't seen that, but it looks pretty cool. I have pretty severe misgivings about their plan for the lock picking though. 10 picks only? I might miss some loot!

I might give it a shot in my next playthrough though, I do like what they're trying to do.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is Beyond Reach trying to be the most grimdark mod or something? It's like somebody saw Skyrim and thought, "This is great and all but let's replace the snow with goth prose."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is Beyond Reach trying to be the most grimdark mod or something? It's like somebody saw Skyrim and thought, "This is great and all but let's replace the snow with goth prose."

It's by the people who made Beyond Bouldet Dome for New Vegas. BBD was godawful, and trying to be grim dark was part of that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I never got into Fallout so I can only infer. I always thought Fallout was really going for the "murdering somebody in their own home while happy Motown music is playing" vibe. So I imagine if you take away that little bit of whimsical irony, you just have a bunch of brown post-Apocalyptic grit or something.

Playing good and bad mods has been surprisingly illuminating towards good and bad game design. There's a lot of stuff where you wonder why Skyrim didn't come like that. Then there are quest mods where I am advancing without knowing wtf or I want to yell at the monitor over the linear, out-of-character choices.

The Beyond Reach dialog gets me because it makes me act like I'm just in it for the money or something. This after the whole quest line starts with Mara brainfucking me in broad daylight in the middle of Solitude.

On the other hand, there's quest stuff where it sounds like I am talking to somebody on their headset over Discord, but it is put together pretty well so there's no problem.

Edit: I think I am making GBS threads on it too much. It does come with a money back guarantee, after all.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 29, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I never played beyond reach because that Mara thing complete with terrible voice acting and typos leaves such an awful first impression

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The biggest lesson I've taken from Skyrim mods is that apparently quality voice acting is really loving difficult because almost every mod I've ever seen that adds voice acting it is appallingly bad, except a couple of the custom followers. And even then Vilja for instance, if you think Vilja's own voice acting is bad, wooooo boy, the various side characters in the mod's quest are comically bad. You couldn't try to be that bad.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I must be inoculated against caring about bad voice acting due to playing late 90s videogames. Resident Evil, Megaman Legends, Brave Fencer Musashi...

LostEnder posted:

I hadn't seen that, but it looks pretty cool. I have pretty severe misgivings about their plan for the lock picking though. 10 picks only? I might miss some loot!

I might give it a shot in my next playthrough though, I do like what they're trying to do.

Restricting how many lockpicks you can carry and find really does make lock picking more interesting. It makes picking up lockpick perks, or (mod) spell alternatives much more reasonable.

I wrote my own, very lightweight, lockpick-limiting mod, called Limited Lockpicks. Its fine to drop into a modlist mid playthrough (I did when I wrote it!)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 29, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Agents are GO! posted:

I must be inoculated against caring about bad voice acting due to playing late 90s videogames. Resident Evil, Megaman Legends, Brave Fencer Musashi...
There's some bad acting, sure, but the real shame is some lower hanging fruit:
1. Boosting weak, cheap microphones so the speech is noisy, clippy, and lacking full range.
2. Sitting down while talking, which will compress your diaphragm and incline you not to move much. Yes, people can't see body language but they can hear it. So you're getting speech like it's an audiobook voiceover when you're actually in a stand-up, all-out fight.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Agents are GO! posted:

dude what the gently caress? “Barry?! Where’s Barry?!” the little lego men in MML with their little lego voices?

god drat

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The biggest lesson I've taken from Skyrim mods is that apparently quality voice acting is really loving difficult because almost every mod I've ever seen that adds voice acting it is appallingly bad, except a couple of the custom followers. And even then Vilja for instance, if you think Vilja's own voice acting is bad, wooooo boy, the various side characters in the mod's quest are comically bad. You couldn't try to be that bad.

And then you get Inigo and he's like, professional quality? Did they hire someone for him? Looking at the mods page he was just done by a really talented amateur which is like, wow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The other characters in Inigo's bundled quest, not so much.

Lucien Flavius's voice acting is good, too. There was a pretty barebones follower called Arissa that never got ported to SE whose voice acting was drat good (a disappointment otherwise, though).

As Rocko said, I think the difference is mostly in the voice actor actually taking it seriously and owning proper equipment in a properly set up room.

The sound quality of the voice acting on Vilja (who I like but many others don't) and Sofia (who many others like but I don't) is also good, though the quality of the actual voice acting is uneven.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm fine with the VA on Vilja herself, but yeah, basically everyone else in her mod is terribly voice acted. The bit I consider emblematic is that at one point in her questline you're looking for something she wants, and you have to go talk to (IIRC) Hulda. Most of the dialogue consists of canned lines, but then you get to the one line the modder had to add in and it sounds like she was suddenly possessed. Her voice drops in pitch and sounds a lot more sinister (she's only telling you to go look for one of the Khajiit caravans).

Again, I consider Sofia reasonably well acted for an amateur production provided to the Internet at no cost. YMMV on her writing.

For both I suggest turning down the frequency of their quips, because they get a bit tiring after a while.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Interesting NPCs overall has pretty good VA I think, especially the "major" followers.

To be honest I don't usually notice bad VA but I think the specific "nasally nerd trying to sound like a badass" voice you get a LOT in mods sets off my fight or flight reflex.

I don't really blame or envy the modders though, it's a really difficult situation. If you don't have VA these days it's jarring and immediately takes the player out of the game - it's a huge signpost saying "NON PROFESSIONAL FAN MADE CONTENT APPROACHING".

It ties into a broader issue that ive thought about a lot. I'm an old Morrowind modder and it was perfectly feasible at that time to make content that was indistinguishable from base game, which is (usually) what you want. Nowadays, we give Skyrim poo poo for being buggy and janky, but the level of detail in every respect is so much bigger and more complex. As games get more "realistic", with bigger budgets and teams, it becomes harder for amateur modders to keep up. I was a quest modder, I worked alone and made Muffinwind, which is easily 15-20 hours of content with a reasonable or at least Bethesda level of polish. With the exception of a few mad geniuses, that doesn't happen in Skyrim without a big team, and that's the point where modding becomes a loving second job. No wonder we don't see the amount of quest mods we once did.

Mod teams do an admirable job and I have the utmost respect for their skill and dedication, but no wonder they fall apart or into drama as often as not. certainly the mods as a whole are usually far more *enjoyable* than vanilla content, but we don't have the resources to make or match the content Bethesda can put out with professional recording studios, hundreds of people polishing areas and decorations etc.

There's no real solution or going back here I guess, and it's not anyone's fault. Just makes me a bit wistful.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 30, 2020

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I remember playing heavily modded Oblivion wherein many custom companions or quests were unvoiced and honestly those were often the best ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This water mod for Skyrim VR is so loving good. It really makes the water go from being barely identifiable as water to looking so good you feel like you are going to get soaked when you jump in.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30571

I used a few other ones like Realistic Water 2 but this one just blows it our of the water, pun intended.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know geographically how Beyond Reach even fits? I have kind of struggled with this whole thing of going west of Markarth (leftwards on the map), only to then go eastwards in the new land. Am I going south and under Skyrim? Is it actually flipped?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Interesting NPCs overall has pretty good VA I think, especially the "major" followers.

There are standout exceptions, like that one cleric who sounds like someone told him his voice needed to be softer and lower in pitch and so he did that with his voice... but like he's not a professional voice actor, so you have someone mumbling constantly now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It ties into a broader issue that ive thought about a lot. I'm an old Morrowind modder and it was perfectly feasible at that time to make content that was indistinguishable from base game, which is (usually) what you want. Nowadays, we give Skyrim poo poo for being buggy and janky, but the level of detail in every respect is so much bigger and more complex. As games get more "realistic", with bigger budgets and teams, it becomes harder for amateur modders to keep up. I was a quest modder, I worked alone and made Muffinwind, which is easily 15-20 hours of content with a reasonable or at least Bethesda level of polish. With the exception of a few mad geniuses, that doesn't happen in Skyrim without a big team, and that's the point where modding becomes a loving second job. No wonder we don't see the amount of quest mods we once did.

Mod teams do an admirable job and I have the utmost respect for their skill and dedication, but no wonder they fall apart or into drama as often as not. certainly the mods as a whole are usually far more *enjoyable* than vanilla content, but we don't have the resources to make or match the content Bethesda can put out with professional recording studios, hundreds of people polishing areas and decorations etc.

There's no real solution or going back here I guess, and it's not anyone's fault. Just makes me a bit wistful.

I really hope Elderscrolls never has the PC voicing dialogue. That would be a huge death knell for fan content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Voiced PC's have a ton of problems, but I don't think it would cause an issue for modders. It would just be text dialogue with silence instead of PC speech, just like it is now for NPCs when they add non-voiced quests.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Elder Scrolls 6 will have a voiced pc and they will remove all non human options to accommodate it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You're in prison and a prison guard steals your baby, who is also in prison with you. Every NPC will have "Jason" as a dialogue option

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Elder Scrolls 6 will have a voiced pc and they will remove all non human options to accommodate it.

Thinking about this just made me realize that's definitely not going to happen because they'd lose all the people who want to play a sexy cat person and that's a huge chunk of their base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well yes obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrXR6n0RTY