Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Some flexibility, but preferably $1,000 - $1,200
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? For now, using an older monitor (ViewSonic XG2401 144 Hz at 1080p with freesync), but would like the option of upgrading to 1440 in the future

This is what I have so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.41 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1074.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-28 22:44 EDT-0400

I am hoping the b550 gives me some growth potential, and the markup doesn't look bad over a b450. For whatever reason the Ryzen 3600s are $199 right now, so I figure the extra $8 for the 3600x isn't such a bad deal.

I already have a 1TB ssd to throw games on, so I primarily just need something for the OS.

I'll probably replace the 5700 xt with a brand I've heard of, so that's a placeholder for the moment.

I'm not sold on the case (just went with whatever the pcpartpicker recommended system had) and could not care less about aesthetics/RGB. If there are savings to be had there (without sacrificing function such as ease of working in the case or nose reduction) I'm game.

Edit: went with a micro atx with on-board wifi (thanks Mu Zeta and sean10mm) and a Gigabyte 5700 xt.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can save some cash with the B550M Pro VDH Wifi for $130.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mu Zeta posted:

I have seen it for even less. Bazooka is around 130 and looks good too.

P300A mesh is a good lower cost case alternative.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Mu Zeta posted:

Would I be losing anything by going to the micro-atx?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Enigma posted:

Would I be losing anything by going to the micro-atx?

Not really because B550 can't actually support all the ports/slots on an ATX board at once anyway.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

sean10mm posted:

Not really because B550 can't actually support all the ports/slots on an ATX board at once anyway.

Awesome, thank you. Revised above.

Looking into that case now. Really wish I could see these in person.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im putting together a build for my 11 year old fortnite playing little brother
Im in the US and the budget is about 600 not including monitor, kb+m
1080p 120fps is the goal which may be pretty easy for fortnite

Things that im taking from my old build and donating are a gtx 1070 and a nzxt 240mm CLC that is am4 compatible
Im not sure how much CPU should be paired with a 1070
Will definitely need Wifi
reserving $100 for case because im sure he will pick something shiny with RGB
MATX and ITX are fine by me

At 200-300 who is going to give me the best performance on a CPU/Mobo for exclusively gaming?
I do have access to a local Microcenter

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The upcoming World of Warcraft expansion requires an SSD. Never seen this before.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/256565

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Fauxtool posted:

im putting together a build for my 11 year old fortnite playing little brother
Im in the US and the budget is about 600 not including monitor, kb+m
1080p 120fps is the goal which may be pretty easy for fortnite

Things that im taking from my old build and donating are a gtx 1070 and a nzxt 240mm CLC that is am4 compatible
Im not sure how much CPU should be paired with a 1070
Will definitely need Wifi
reserving $100 for case because im sure he will pick something shiny with RGB
MATX and ITX are fine by me

At 200-300 who is going to give me the best performance on a CPU/Mobo for exclusively gaming?
I do have access to a local Microcenter

A quick-and-dirty mATX list, leaving out the case and things you're bringing:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Corsair)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ B&H)
Total: $511.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-29 03:25 EDT-0400

A quick look at Microcenter prices suggests it'll be more or less the same price total.

An R3 3300X would be an excellent choice, but they're out of stock everywhere. Failing, that, an R5 3600 will give that PC just excellent legs - It'll do great with a 1070, and you could eventually donate whatever graphics card you're replacing the 1070 with in two or three years to keep it going, and I'd expect to get five years out of that processor with no problems. The PS5 and Xbox X will run on what is essentially a 3700X, so it won't greatly constrain your brother if he wants to play newer, more demanding games in the future. The motherboard is a good one, and you technically have the option to put in a better 3XXX or (not yet released) 4XXX processor later, but it won't be a really big jump in the way that a graphics card would be.

Everything else is pretty standard, the wifi card has bluetooth if your brother wants to use wireless controllers. Get a copy of Windows 10 cheap from the guy in SA-Mart, too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

A quick-and-dirty mATX list, leaving out the case and things you're bringing:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Corsair)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ B&H)
Total: $511.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-29 03:25 EDT-0400

A quick look at Microcenter prices suggests it'll be more or less the same price total.

An R3 3300X would be an excellent choice, but they're out of stock everywhere. Failing, that, an R5 3600 will give that PC just excellent legs - It'll do great with a 1070, and you could eventually donate whatever graphics card you're replacing the 1070 with in two or three years to keep it going, and I'd expect to get five years out of that processor with no problems. The PS5 and Xbox X will run on what is essentially a 3700X, so it won't greatly constrain your brother if he wants to play newer, more demanding games in the future. The motherboard is a good one, and you technically have the option to put in a better 3XXX or (not yet released) 4XXX processor later, but it won't be a really big jump in the way that a graphics card would be.

Everything else is pretty standard, the wifi card has bluetooth if your brother wants to use wireless controllers. Get a copy of Windows 10 cheap from the guy in SA-Mart, too.

The B550 version of that board includes wifi and basically costs much as the B450 board plus the cost of the wifi card.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

sean10mm posted:

Why intel?

I have no idea what the equivalent AMD CPU, Motherboard and Video card would be. Can you suggest something?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Comstar posted:

I have no idea what the equivalent AMD CPU, Motherboard and Video card would be. Can you suggest something?

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi motherboard.

Video card is whatever you want, AMD or intel CPUs are fine with either nvidia or AMD graphics cards. They don't give a poo poo either way.

One thing about that build you posted is that using 1 stick of 16 GB memory instead of 2x8 is really bad for memory performance. There's no good reason to do that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The GPU manufacturer is irrelevant, you don't need to match Radeons to AMD CPUs or nvidias to Intel.

He questioned why Intel because generally they were well beaten by AMD for value and performance across the board in the last few years, but that i5 10400F you were recommended looks like a recent release which is competitive performance and price wise with the standard midrange Ryzen recommendation, which is a 3600 with a B550 chipset mobo. I will question the single stick of RAM though - others are way more knowledgable than me but generally dual channel RAM is better in performance across all applications, although it doesn't make a huge difference in games.

I would say with your budget I'd even be tempted to spend a little more on the GPU, which will have a lot more of an effect on performance longer term than either of the CPUs mentioned. You could step up to a 2060 Super for ~$650 or the Radeon 5700 XT for less than $600.

Edit: beaten oh well

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Am I correct that, for gaming or anything that isn't large file transfer, a m.2 nvme SSD offers negligible benefits over a sata ssd for the difference in price?

I have a 500 gb m.2 nvme picked out for my main/OS drive and was planning to bring over my sata ssd I use to store games rather than getting a bigger main drive.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
At the moment not much difference, but in the future potentially, owing to the fact that the new consoles both use NVMe drives and Sony in particular are making noise about how they're going to design games based on the much faster loading speeds.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Butterfly Valley posted:

At the moment not much difference, but in the future potentially, owing to the fact that the new consoles both use NVMe drives and Sony in particular are making noise about how they're going to design games based on the much faster loading speeds.

Sony has custom hardware on their SSD. It isn't just the throughput speed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

The B550 version of that board includes wifi and basically costs much as the B450 board plus the cost of the wifi card.

thanks, picking the mobo and cpu are pretty much the only parts i was unsure of considering how many AMD options there are. Is there any compelling reason to go intel in this price range?

Coucho Marx posted:

A quick-and-dirty mATX list

very cool thanks.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 29, 2020

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What would be a solid upgrade from a GTX 960 that's under $400? No size or PSU restrictions

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fauxtool posted:

thanks, picking the mobo and cpu are pretty much the only parts i was unsure of considering how many AMD options there are. Is there any compelling reason to go intel in this price range?

There's few compelling reasons to pick intel at any price range.

erenoyo posted:

What would be a solid upgrade from a GTX 960 that's under $400? No size or PSU restrictions

What size of screen? For 1080p, a 1660 Super is a solid upgrade that more than doubles your GPU power & plays everything above 60fps. It's even reasonably ok for 1440p/60, though you can't use the highest settings on the most demanding games and keep 60 fps. The 2060 or 5600XT are the general recommendations for 1440.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

erenoyo posted:

You can find 2060 Supers for just a hair under $400. That said, new GPUs are being announced in like three days and will likely cause a whole bunch of used cards to go on the market over the next few weeks.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, my screen is 1080p, 120hz. If there's new stuff coming out I'll just wait for prices to drop. I was looking at the Radeon 590 though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

erenoyo posted:

Sorry, my screen is 1080p, 144hz. If there's new stuff coming out I'll just wait for prices to drop. I was looking at the Radeon 590 though.

The 590 is not a particularly good card unless you've found some super bargain, like under $200. A 5600XT is much better and those are about $250 these days.

Unfortunately, prices don't generally have major drops with new generations these days. GPU makers are pretty good at judging demand and tailing off production ahead of the new products, so they don't have to firesale old stock. You have to look at used cards to get price drops (and most of the time on ebay people will buy used cards for the same price as new cards of the same performance, I don't get why the used discount is so minimal).

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My laptop is almost definitely on its last legs and the Fractal power supply I ordered is still on back order. My total power draw should be around 550w. Is there a usable power supply that is under 100, and in stock? As soon as the Fractal comes in, I'll be using it.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

The 590 is not a particularly good card unless you've found some super bargain, like under $200. A 5600XT is much better and those are about $250 these days.

Unfortunately, prices don't generally have major drops with new generations these days. GPU makers are pretty good at judging demand and tailing off production ahead of the new products, so they don't have to firesale old stock. You have to look at used cards to get price drops (and most of the time on ebay people will buy used cards for the same price as new cards of the same performance, I don't get why the used discount is so minimal).

Ah, okay. I think I will go with the 1660 Super then, since it also has the same power draw as my 960, so I won't need to upgrade my PSU. Thanks!!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maigius posted:

My laptop is almost definitely on its last legs and the Fractal power supply I ordered is still on back order. My total power draw should be around 550w. Is there a usable power supply that is under 100, and in stock? As soon as the Fractal comes in, I'll be using it.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx550-550w/p/N82E16817139202

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MikeC posted:

Sony has custom hardware on their SSD. It isn't just the throughput speed.

They have a custom disk controller that drives the built-in SSD as well as a third party nvme drive if you choose to install one, and all it does is handle compression and cache management that would otherwise be handled by the CPU. PS5's architect confirmed this at a presentation he gave a few months ago

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2020

Fliptwist
Mar 16, 2001

I'm fat, black, cranky, and menopausal! You do NOT want to mess with me!
Pillbug
In the USA, budget is $2500.
Primary usage is Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Autodesk Inventor and probably Keyshot rendering when the 3000 series GPUs are readily available.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($709.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($183.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($389.00)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2393.87

This is a work pc so any unused budget is wasted leading to a bit of overspending here, I welcome any advice on places it might make sense to shift that overspending around. The 1tb ssd will be OS/apps, the 2tb scratch disk and temp storage.

I picked the 1660 Super as a budget friendly card until the 3000 cards are out and I can upgrade down the road. Is there a better option in that price range than what I picked?

I think the 64gb of ram is valid in this use case just due to the possibility I'll be editing 4k video in the near future and general multitasking with these programs. That said the 3600 mhz 2x32gb seems to be out of stock everywhere now so I'm curious how much of a compromise the 3200 mhz might be.

I will probably decide to lightly OC the cpu so would it be better in that case to switch for an AIO?

Thanks in advance on any advice offered.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fliptwist posted:

I think the 64gb of ram is valid in this use case just due to the possibility I'll be editing 4k video in the near future and general multitasking with these programs. That said the 3600 mhz 2x32gb seems to be out of stock everywhere now so I'm curious how much of a compromise the 3200 mhz might be.

It's not a huge difference in apps that aren't heavily depending on memory bandwidth.

Though I'd say just go for 4x16 rather than pay premium for 32gb sticks. You can get 2 packs of crucial 3600 for $150 each... or $170 each is RGB lights are your thing.

quote:

I will probably decide to lightly OC the cpu so would it be better in that case to switch for an AIO?

A good AIO might get you 50mhz or maybe 100mhz more than the D15, but that's with a tuned manual OC where you're looking for the max stable clocks. If you're not pushing the bleeding edge I doubt you'll find much difference.

OTOH in a Define 7 the AIO might be nice for noise & thermals, if you mount it to the top panel and dump heat right out of the case. OC'ed 3950 + high-end 3000 GPU will be a lot of heat, while the Define 7 isn't the best ventilated case in the world. You'll probably need top exhaust anyways.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I'm looking to build my very first PC in the coming months hopefully after AMD and NVIDIA make their respective CPU and GPU updates later this year.

I've been reading in a lot of places that lots of parts are inflated due to COVID related shortages in manufacturing. Does anyone have a sense if this is true and if so, which parts are particularly inflated right now? I've read in several sources that power supply prices in particular are a bit inflated right now. Unfortunately, I've only been doing research for less than a month, so I don't have a good sense of prices of parts pre-COVID.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mA posted:

I'm looking to build my very first PC in the coming months hopefully after AMD and NVIDIA make their respective CPU and GPU updates later this year.

I've been reading in a lot of places that lots of parts are inflated due to COVID related shortages in manufacturing. Does anyone have a sense if this is true and if so, which parts are particularly inflated right now? I've read in several sources that power supply prices in particular are a bit inflated right now. Unfortunately, I've only been doing research for less than a month, so I don't have a good sense of prices of parts pre-COVID.

Yes, but it seems to have settled down so it's mostly just PSUs. PSUs are way more than they had been previously, but for a ~120 PSU that's 50 in tariffs and 20 in covid.

Really though it doesn't matter, prices are what they are at the time you're buying and you need every component to build a system. During the hight of *coins I was suggesting people buy a console, but we're nowhere near that.

Evvvvv: oh yeah, SSDs are like 30% higher than last year, but that happened pre-COVID, at least partially.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 30, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I distinctly remember there were Intel NVME 2tb drives for $180 sometime last year. Now 2tb drives are all $250.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mu Zeta posted:

I distinctly remember there were Intel NVME 2tb drives for $180 sometime last year. Now 2tb drives are all $250.

The intel 660P was priced below all other nvme 2tb drives and even a bunch of sata drives, I think because they were the first QLC drive on the market and trying to push acceptance. So after a bit the story on the 660p was "this is QLC but still a good performer at a great price, A+ buy" and eventually intel could raise the prices based on positive reviews and good rep.

SSDs haven't really gone up much in price -- sales that knocked $25 off the price of 2TB drives aren't as frequent, but the mainline prices aren't higher.

GN just did a video saying that ram and nand is looking to fall, so if you want to buy a 2tb drive you might want to wait a bit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finally put together my SFF i7 4770/GTX 1660 Ti box. Currently running Heaven benchmark on loop, and seems like the GPU temp stays around ~78C. I have the overclocked variant of the 2.75 slot EVGA XC model (1845 MHz clock boost), and read the 1660 Ti only throttles around 90-95C. Just for reassurance, GPU temps around 77-79C under sustained load should be fine, right?

The case I ended up using for my SFF build was the Lian Li TU150 (aluminum side panel) w 2x120mm Notcua Redux fans. The i7 4770 temp seems to generally hover around the high 50s, with spikes to the mid 60s C during the Heaven loop, so not really worried about CPU temps. I do have the option to add 2 more slim 15mm fans to the bottom of the case, but I'm pretty sure they'd be pressing right up against the GPU because of how thick its HSF is. Worth it to try? Or should I not bother—I convinced myself earlier I didn't need the bottom fans, but wanted to know what the others might think.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 30, 2020

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Butterfly Valley posted:

Here's Sean's build with a few adjustments, which is very similar to what I'll be going for in a couple months.

He didn't include a motherboard, I've gone for a 550 chipset which guarantees a bit of future compatibility, micro ATX size because those come with on-board WiFi and it sounds like you have no need for many extra expansion slots. There's space for an additional NVMe drive for future storage expansion if needed. You could also go for a full-size ATX board and buy a separate WiFi card.

I've bumped it up to the 3700x sean mentioned because I think it makes sense to have a processor on parity with the next generation of consoles for when increased cores/threads are being fully taken advantage of. I've also changed the ram to a slightly faster module which plays nicely with the processor apparently.

I think you should absolutely wait for the 3070, it will be a big performance boost over if you bought now.

There's dedicated monitor and accessory threads in the forum but for single monitor gaming the sweet spot now is 1440p 27", which you can expect to pay €300-€500 for. Along with accessories your entire build should run you ~€2250.

A bit late but thanks for your tweaks and advice!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fliptwist posted:

In the USA, budget is $2500.
Primary usage is Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Autodesk Inventor and probably Keyshot rendering when the 3000 series GPUs are readily available.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($709.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($183.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($389.00)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2393.87

This is a work pc so any unused budget is wasted leading to a bit of overspending here, I welcome any advice on places it might make sense to shift that overspending around. The 1tb ssd will be OS/apps, the 2tb scratch disk and temp storage.

I picked the 1660 Super as a budget friendly card until the 3000 cards are out and I can upgrade down the road. Is there a better option in that price range than what I picked?

Thanks in advance on any advice offered.

If you're wanting to OC on air I'd change the case to the Meshify version of the Define 7 (which I think is the S2). Position one of the front case fans to blow directly into the D15 and it will basically cool any goddamn thing.

Mesh fronts are a trade-off because they raise the sound floor when your PC is at idle/lightly working, but can be quieter under any kind of actual load (because the fans on the CPU/GPU don't have to work as hard) and cool better. The stock fans on the S2 are fine but their position is kind of dumb for most people (they should both be offset down to blow right into the CPU heatsink & GPU respectively)

Note with the D15 you may have to move the front fan on it up on the heat sink a little to clear the RAM, and depending on the mobo/graphics card can be a close fit with the GPU. The D15S is the improved compatibility version but comes with only 1 fan (but is also cheaper... by about the cost of 1 fan.)

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 30, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

teagone posted:

Finally put together my SFF i7 4770/GTX 1660 Ti box. Currently running Heaven benchmark on loop, and seems like the GPU temp stays around ~78C. I have the overclocked variant of the 2.75 slot EVGA XC model (1845 MHz clock boost), and read the 1660 Ti only throttles around 90-95C. Just for reassurance, GPU temps around 77-79C under sustained load should be fine, right?

The case I ended up using for my SFF build was the Lian Li TU150 (aluminum side panel) w 2x120mm Notcua Redux fans. The i7 4770 temp seems to generally hover around the high 50s, with spikes to the mid 60s C during the Heaven loop, so not really worried about CPU temps. I do have the option to add 2 more slim 15mm fans to the bottom of the case, but I'm pretty sure they'd be pressing right up against the GPU because of how thick its HSF is. Worth it to try? Or should I not bother—I convinced myself earlier I didn't need the bottom fans, but wanted to know what the others might think.

78 under load is perfectly normal. I'd think that cooler could do better in a different case, but it's well below the threshold on concern, so dont sweat it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Coucho Marx posted:

An R3 3300X would be an excellent choice, but they're out of stock everywhere.

Do we know anything else about this. I've spoken with Ebuyer, my supplier for a few items over the years here in the UK, one of the biggest suppliers of stuff over here, and they told me apart from a very very small shipment just before release day, which sold out before they were received, they haven't had a single unit since. Unlike the sister model, the 3100, which they had plenty of before release, and have had more coming in regularly. It seems really wierd to make way less of the model that was obviously going to be way more popular. This is one of the more confusing things this year.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 30, 2020

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
It's not an issue to build a PC with all the parts except the GPU and add that later, is it? I can hold off on gaming for a while but I want to pass my laptop on and need a machine to just browse the internet and do some work with while I wait for the 3070 release.

Apologies for the dumbass question

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Elliptical Dick posted:

It's not an issue to build a PC with all the parts except the GPU and add that later, is it? I can hold off on gaming for a while but I want to pass my laptop on and need a machine to just browse the internet and do some work with while I wait for the 3070 release.

Apologies for the dumbass question

If you're using an AMD processor or one of the Intel -f processors you'll need some form of graphics adapter since they don't have any onboard graphics, but any PCIe card will work for this so you can pick up some ancient POS for $5 if need be. A spare GPU is always useful to have on hand for troubleshooting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Some Goon posted:

If you're using an AMD processor or one of the Intel -f processors you'll need some form of graphics adapter since they don't have any onboard graphics, but any PCIe card will work for this so you can pick up some ancient POS for $5 if need be. A spare GPU is always useful to have on hand for troubleshooting too.

Right, I had assumed that all mobo's carried some sort of basic graphics chipset. Thanks for clearing that up for me.