Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best thing about WCW Mayhem was it let me listen to Raven's and DDP's entrance themes whenever I wanted. It's funny to remember those pre-YouTube days.

Shut Your Mouth! is the best wrestling game because the CAW story is massive and has a lot of variety. gently caress wrestling games that don't let me turn heel.

Admittedly the last wrestling game I played was...Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 or 2007? It had "Animal I Have Become" on the background rock soundtrack that played while you did stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

Shut Your Mouth! is the best wrestling game because the CAW story is massive and has a lot of variety. gently caress wrestling games that don't let me turn heel.

God, that game had the absolute best ending in a wrestling game. The "SHUT YOUR MOUTH" bit with Vince, the "Real American" music video, and then the "Beautiful People" video with all the goofy poo poo, like six Flairs flopping at the same time.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
legally obligated to post the best bit of any wrestling game ever that isn't chocolate drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdmcGIedXo

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Flight Bisque posted:

legally obligated to post the best bit of any wrestling game ever that isn't chocolate drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXfLotjWlrE

it's the little "aw shucks" hand motion after a failure that gets me every time

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByO5l00uxKY

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Doc M posted:

They actually got some pretty big names on that covers album. Motörhead did a cover of Enter Sandman, and Bruce Dickinson did a great version of The Zoo:

White Zombie, Megadeth and Anthrax were on there as well. I was pretty surprised to see how many big-name artists they had on ECW Extreme Music.

I also like the cover photo, which looks like Sandman was trying to put up a barbed wire fence but was too drunk to do it properly and this was the end result.
Those are bigger names than I remember/realized, but it's still the sort of thing where open/specific licenses make a big difference.

If ECW wanted to do a compilation CD (or release a DVD, or whatever) using "Enter Sandman" or "Walk" (the original master recording) they'd have to negotiate with the record labels for the rights, and the owners of the masters could more or less set their price. As long as you attribute proper credit and pay royalties, ECW (or you or me) could commission Lemmy and Megadeth (or you or me) to record covers of "Enter Sandman" or "Walk", and since they own the masters they can just put that song wherever, so long as again, you pay money to the owners of the song.

This leads to things like artists like the Everly Brothers, Def Leppard or John Fogerty just re-recording entire songs/albums years/decades after the fact to have a version that they own/don't have to share with labels/bandmates they no longer like, and also the weird bit in the early 2000s when it was cheaper to just hire Jimmy Page or Stephen Stills or Phil Collins or Phil Collins to come in and perform a cover of a song they wrote and popularized than to clear the rights to sample the song.

A lot of contracts with major labels now have clauses to keep artists from doing this, so it might not be possible to reunite Jefferson Starship to record a new version of "Jane", but hope springs eternal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This was why there was a whole to-do about Taylor Swift a few months ago because she had one of those deals and is probably gonna re-record most of her catalogue for the same reason.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Shut Your Mouth was the most accurate WWE video game every created. I remember being undefeated and winning literally every match, going backstage and asking Vince/Ric for a push or a title shot and always getting shot down.

I still have my memory card save. Someday creative will have something for me, I just know it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Flight Bisque posted:

Why is this a thing and what is it from?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The latter SDvsRAW games had great stories like Candice Michelle turns you into a woman, Edge and Christian having a literal time machine in their locker room, and controlling the Undertaker with the urn to cause destruction.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which one ended with you facing Kevin Nash in a seven stage gauntlet match?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the eddie guerrero/undertaker storyline that ends with undertaker killing eddie guerrero in smackdown vs raw 2006 which came out the day after eddie died was some unfortunate timing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utr8qLByzCI

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember renting WCW Mayhem with a few friends and the very first match we played was a four-way where we all climbed each turnbuckle as soon as the bell rang and immediately got stuck, the only thing we were able to do was just spin in place and taunt until time ran out for a draw.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember renting WCW Mayhem with a few friends and the very first match we played was a four-way where we all climbed each turnbuckle as soon as the bell rang and immediately got stuck, the only thing we were able to do was just spin in place and taunt until time ran out for a draw.

MOTY

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
An authentic simulation of late WCW booking

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The best thing is that Tony and Brain would start getting on your case if you kept taunting in Mayhem, and also if you just kept spamming the same move over and over again.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Also you could do a move off the turnbuckle and miss, and Tony would say something like "do we have to put a big red X on the guy's chest for you?!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Maxwell Lord posted:

An authentic simulation of late WCW booking

I’d trade current WWE for death stage WCW in a heartbeat

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was watching the newest video uploaded to F4WOnline's YT channel in which Bryan and Dave talk about WWE's babyface problem.

Most relevant though, Dave mentions Rey Mysterio as a "career babyface." I'm sure this was common back in the day but how many current wrestlers have never turned face or heel?

I instantly thought of Jeff Hardy but I think he was a heel in TNA? But he's always been babyface in WWE, right? He's like Rey, he is a perfect babyface and just would not work as a villain.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was watching the newest video uploaded to F4WOnline's YT channel in which Bryan and Dave talk about WWE's babyface problem.

Most relevant though, Dave mentions Rey Mysterio as a "career babyface." I'm sure this was common back in the day but how many current wrestlers have never turned face or heel?

I instantly thought of Jeff Hardy but I think he was a heel in TNA? But he's always been babyface in WWE, right? He's like Rey, he is a perfect babyface and just would not work as a villain.

I'm no historian, but I'd say that Tanahashi is definitely a career babyface.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Red posted:

I’d trade current WWE for death stage WCW in a heartbeat

That's like trading ham for Canadian bacon at this point.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Did Ricky Steamboat ever turn heel?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

He teased it in ROH, he had a program with Punk I think?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Russo tried to turn him in TNA but he left before it could be finalized.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm no historian, but I'd say that Tanahashi is definitely a career babyface.

Tana has the John Cena thing where certain crowds/feuds have him playing de facto heel, and I think he's worked specifically heel when doing spots for outside promotions.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Tana has the John Cena thing where certain crowds/feuds have him playing de facto heel, and I think he's worked specifically heel when doing spots for outside promotions.

This is correct; he worked a “I’m too good for this place” heel in DDT, and was a young arrogant invader heel for his NOAH match at Destiny in 2005. If he wrestles a guy in their hometown, he also works heel. His trilogy of Dome main events also had him working babyface in the first, tweener in the second (with a real heel post match where he taunted a crying Okada as Gedo helped him to the back), and heel in the third.

But he’s never actually had an elongated series of programs where he’s remained a heel through all of them.

Tanahashi’s a weird case.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Tana definitely heels it up a bit whenever he notices that his opponent is more over at a specific time, but it's not like he's ever turned fully and at this point he's so universally beloved that I don't think he could.

Dunno what he's been in promotions outside NJPW though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tana had a single match in NOAH in 2010 against Go Shiozaki where he played total heel and you can tell he was having fun with it too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

Hardys were heels early in their WWE career.

Not sure Tito Santana was ever heel. The character Chief Jay Strongbow never had a heel run, I think.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I instantly thought of Jeff Hardy but I think he was a heel in TNA? But he's always been babyface in WWE, right?

Long time ago, and very brief, but was a heel as part of The New Brood.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Come to think of it, was Ultimate Warrior ever a heel? Except IRL, of course.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Jeff Hardy was a heel at the very outset of his WWE run, and also worked heel for a spell in TNA during Immortal.

I think Rey's only real heel run was briefly in the Filthy Animals, though at that point in WCW it's hard to say. On one hand they had feuds with clear-cut heel stables like the Natural Born Thrillers and Team Canada, on the other hand they also feuded with the Misfits in Action and at two different points beat up and robbed Ric Flair, and later abducted him from a stretcher job, drove him out to the desert and buried him alive.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Filthy Animals were, I believe, a Russo/Ferrara attempt to make a WCW Degeneration X so they were very much tweeners.

But then again they booked everyone as tweeners or cool heels the whole time so yeah it’s impossible to tell where people were supposed to land on that sort of spectrum.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The closest it ever got was the angle they did with Steamboat and Luger in 1989.

This was after the Flair matches and (face) Lex Luger, being the reigning US champion was angry that Steamboat was still the #1 contender even after losing to Flair.

So at Clash 7, the main event is Steamboat vs Terry Funk. Steamboat wins by DQ because Funk hits him with a microphone and keeps beating on him until Luger makes the save, only for Luger to continue beating on Steamboat after he has run Funk out of the ring. Now that was to turn Luger heel, but here's the weird part in all of this, Steamboat is mad of course and demands a NO-DQ match at Great American Bash. The match is made, but right before it starts Luger demands that the no-DQ stip is dropped, which is agreed to by the authorities.
Steamboat loses it and attacks Luger with a chair and loses by DQ.

Now nothing happened after that, because that was his last match in WCW for that run, he had some contract disputes with the company.
But it seems like they would have done something with his character, even if he wasn't outright turned heel they might make him a tweener of sorts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Bro, it wasn't my idea, bro.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He teased it in ROH, he had a program with Punk I think?

IIRC, it was when R-Truth became NWA champion in the early days of the weekly PPV period. Truth cut a promo directed at him about how in wrestling, people of colour like him were rarely, if ever, given opportunities, and were told to be satisfied with a secondary or tertiary-at-best title, and that as a POC, Steamboat should know just how much harder he had to work to even be given a chance to challenge for the title. Steamboat, who was on-screen commissioner agreed with Truth, and gave him a title shot against Shamrock, which Truth won.

I think that was meant to be the start of Steamboat's heel turn, but he pretty much dipped out of TNA at that point. Because, you know, nothing says "heel turn" like acknowledging institutional inequality and making an effort to address it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Cameo posted:

This is correct; he worked a “I’m too good for this place” heel in DDT, and was a young arrogant invader heel for his NOAH match at Destiny in 2005. If he wrestles a guy in their hometown, he also works heel. His trilogy of Dome main events also had him working babyface in the first, tweener in the second (with a real heel post match where he taunted a crying Okada as Gedo helped him to the back), and heel in the third.

But he’s never actually had an elongated series of programs where he’s remained a heel through all of them.

Tanahashi’s a weird case.

The closest to a protracted period of being a heel for Tana only seems to be when he's on the odd excursion to Mexico.

I'm also pretty sure he was a heel back in the mid-2000s in NJPW, when he had the U-30 championship, a title only eligible to anyone under 30 years of age. This was around the time that Nakamura was the chosen future Ace of the company, but had no real personality to speak of, with the triangle choke as his finisher.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Vagabundo posted:

IIRC, it was when R-Truth became NWA champion in the early days of the weekly PPV period. Truth cut a promo directed at him about how in wrestling, people of colour like him were rarely, if ever, given opportunities, and were told to be satisfied with a secondary or tertiary-at-best title, and that as a POC, Steamboat should know just how much harder he had to work to even be given a chance to challenge for the title. Steamboat, who was on-screen commissioner agreed with Truth, and gave him a title shot against Shamrock, which Truth won.

I think that was meant to be the start of Steamboat's heel turn, but he pretty much dipped out of TNA at that point. Because, you know, nothing says "heel turn" like acknowledging institutional inequality and making an effort to address it.

OH that was a HEEL promo truth cut? ah... okay... TNA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Davros1 posted:

Hardys were heels early in their WWE career.

Not sure Tito Santana was ever heel. The character Chief Jay Strongbow never had a heel run, I think.

I vaguely recall both of the angles below, but I feel like they were heelish under Hayes/Hendrix, and maybe turning face with Terri?