Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hmm? The Texans revolted specifically because of Mexico’s stance on slavery.

Is this lost cause bullshit but for the first time

They likely would've revolted regardless of Mexico's stance on slavery because there was never any intention of becoming loyal mexicans. Immigrating into and seizing Texas had been an anglo dream since it was spanish. It wasn't really the explicit cause and the mexican government had made no effort to actually free the "indentured servants" that the white anglos all suddenly had after slavery was abolished in 1830. It certainly wasn't Santa Anna's intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
In late with my Nero neck beard shot:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They likely would've revolted regardless of Mexico's stance on slavery because there was never any intention of becoming loyal mexicans. Immigrating into and seizing Texas had been an anglo dream since it was spanish. It wasn't really the explicit cause and the mexican government had made no effort to actually free the "indentured servants" that the white anglos all suddenly had after slavery was abolished in 1830. It certainly wasn't Santa Anna's intention.

Admission as a slave state was a key goal of the Texas plan. There was land to be had elsewhere, but Texas had the climate, location, and distinct lack of Yankees to make it a prime candidate for the creation of new slave states. The Mexican authorities saw slavery as a touchstone issue for this reason and tried repeatedly to curtail it, but ultimately their authority just didn't reach into Texas and they were reluctant to send in the troops as they were frankly outnumbered even before factoring in the risk of provoking the USA.

There were certainly other factors, perhaps even more pressing ones, so it is not quite correct to say that pro-slavery sentiment was the reason Texas rebelled. But it makes Texans very mad when you claim it was, so it is also extremely correct to say so.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
But saying white Southerners wanted Texas as a slave state (extremely true) is not the same as saying Santa Anna was an abolitionist. Honestly, nobody comes out the Texas Revolution looking good - anglo Texans wanted slaves and roped their Tejano neighbors into their revolt by talking a big line about LIBERTY, and Santa Anna was a petty, self-aggrandizing wannabe Napoleon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one said he was, and ultimately it doesn’t matter.

The US North was not abolitionist in any real way until the South forced their hand.

People still pretend the North fought the war for slavery.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Remulak posted:

In late with my Nero neck beard shot:

One of my very favorite parts of that holiday I had in Rome was getting to see all the portrait busts in the Capitolinum; Roman art is and was, frequently derided for being heavily dependent on copying the Greeks, but they did have an extremely important innovation of physical accuracy in portraiture, rather that idealization. A possibly wanky way of saying that Roman sculptural portraiture was frequently exceptionally unforgiving to the sitter. I'd maybe question the accuracy of the portraits of the very murderous Emperors. Is it a coincidence that the very murdery ones like Commodus look pretty hot in their portrait busts?

edit: like, look at this guy:

Traditionally supposed to be a portrait of Lucius Brutus, but it couldn't have been taken from the life, since it was made at least 300 years after L. Brutus died. That's not an idealization, that's someone specific. Thats someone contemporary. I really like Roman portraiture; its pragmatic and probably very honest.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Aug 30, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

I really like Roman portraiture; its pragmatic and probably very honest.

Except when it isn't. There isn't one portrait of Augustus as an old or even middle aged man, he's always idealized.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Have you considered the possibility of Augustus actually being a God and eternally young? :agesilaus:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's because he's the perfect human.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
vampire

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Straight White Shark posted:

Admission as a slave state was a key goal of the Texas plan. There was land to be had elsewhere, but Texas had the climate, location, and distinct lack of Yankees to make it a prime candidate for the creation of new slave states. The Mexican authorities saw slavery as a touchstone issue for this reason and tried repeatedly to curtail it, but ultimately their authority just didn't reach into Texas and they were reluctant to send in the troops as they were frankly outnumbered even before factoring in the risk of provoking the USA.

There were certainly other factors, perhaps even more pressing ones, so it is not quite correct to say that pro-slavery sentiment was the reason Texas rebelled. But it makes Texans very mad when you claim it was, so it is also extremely correct to say so.

I mean, I'm a texan. I don't live there now, but it doesn't make me mad so much as... what? why? You make texans mad by dunking on Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or whichever team they like, or calling it a red state. Or blaming the inhabitants for the voter suppression. The only people who care about the honour of the loving alamo are already chuds.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Aug 31, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I'm a texan. I don't live there now, but it doesn't make me mad so much as... what? why?

Nice melt-down.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean your revisionism and proudly declaring yourself a Texan makes me think your very mad

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean your revisionism and proudly declaring yourself a Texan makes me think your very mad

now, now

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

don't reply to Charles

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pick posted:

vampire

Ah, another follower of the Life of Caesar podcast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

don't reply to Charles

As it’s cute you think people read your posts

I do friend, I do

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

As it’s cute you think people read your posts

I do friend, I do

Obviously you don't, because you never take the hint when people ask you not to derail threads all over the fora. Just let it go, man.

To contribute to this thread, the existence of Dutch Brazil always fascinates me. For context, the Dutch never made any real efforts to claim a part of South America outside of this. They fought for it pretty hard against the Portuguese, and then spectacularly lost control of it until they had to give it up a short time later.

But that's not the interesting part. No, the interesting part is that this is an early example of how media coverage shapes national memory. The moment the Dutch lost control, public opinion turned and the first newspapers started deriding the failing colonists. When it was lost, a conscious effort was made to never speak of it again. And it worked! Most of us in the Netherlands know all former colonies by heart, but even today almost no one remembers this place. It's one of the first cases I know of where mass media had this effect, and I think that's fascinating.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I said I read them didn’t say I listen to them, though considering the topic was literally about his attempts at historical revisionism I don’t think you know what a derail is

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

To contribute to this thread, the existence of Dutch Brazil always fascinates me. For context, the Dutch never made any real efforts to claim a part of South America outside of this.

...Surinam?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Obviously you don't, because you never take the hint when people ask you not to derail threads all over the fora. Just let it go, man.

To contribute to this thread, the existence of Dutch Brazil always fascinates me. For context, the Dutch never made any real efforts to claim a part of South America outside of this. They fought for it pretty hard against the Portuguese, and then spectacularly lost control of it until they had to give it up a short time later.

But that's not the interesting part. No, the interesting part is that this is an early example of how media coverage shapes national memory. The moment the Dutch lost control, public opinion turned and the first newspapers started deriding the failing colonists. When it was lost, a conscious effort was made to never speak of it again. And it worked! Most of us in the Netherlands know all former colonies by heart, but even today almost no one remembers this place. It's one of the first cases I know of where mass media had this effect, and I think that's fascinating.

In a similar vein most Scottish people have never heard of the Darien Scheme from the late 1690s where Scotland sunk a shitload of money into trying to establish a colony in the Darién gap in Panama in Central America. It was an abject failure and approximately 20% of Scotland’s wealth had been sunk in it leaving the country in financial straits when it failed. This meant Scotland was way more open to the idea of Union with England when it got raised and so it led to the political union in 1707.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

Helith has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Sep 3, 2020

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Can you imagine going from Scotland to Panama? When you've never lived anywhere else in your life, had no frame of reference for what you were getting into? No wonder so many of them died.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The Darién gap has such treacherous terrain that you cant cross overland across North and South America without planning a major expedition. Even trying to cross in all-terrain vehicles is impossible without using barges or rafts.

Also. Apparently the only surviving remnant of New Caledonia is a ditch they dug on the first expedition.
From "The corner of Central America where Scotland lost its independence"

On a somewhat related historical topic, "silleteros" were mostly native men, some enslaved and some employed, who carried goods and more infamously European colonials on their backs across mountain ranges in the Colombian Andes. It's a powerful image that even apalled many contemporary Europeans.

Earlier this month Medellín finished up it's most important event, the Festival of the Flowers. One of its biggest draws is a parade of silleteros, only now they carry flowers on their backs instead of people.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Sep 3, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The Darién gap has such treacherous terrain that you cant cross overland across North and South America without planning a major expedition. Even trying to cross in all-terrain vehicles is impossible without using barges or rafts.

There have been plans for ages to build a road through it, which would be the road to connect the entire network of North America to the entirety of South America.

There's several reasons they haven't done that.

1. The terrain is so treacherous that building a road would be prohibitively expensive.
2. It is a protected nature area and building through that is controversial anyway.
3. There's all sorts of rebel groups there that kill or kidnap anyone who gets near.
4. A project like this would be truly Pan-American, but the richest countries (USA) have no interest in helping to fund it because they believe this will only cause more immigrants to try and make it to the USA. Which might be true.

On the other hand, I wonder how hard it really is to get to the other side. There's ferries that go around it, right? And if you have the money you can just take a plane, of course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

There have been plans for ages to build a road through it, which would be the road to connect the entire network of North America to the entirety of South America.

Minus Iquitos, Juneau, and all the smaller settlements (not a complete list) with no connection to the main road networks of either continent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's several reasons they haven't done that.

1. The terrain is so treacherous that building a road would be prohibitively expensive.
2. It is a protected nature area and building through that is controversial anyway.
3. There's all sorts of rebel groups there that kill or kidnap anyone who gets near.
4. A project like this would be truly Pan-American, but the richest countries (USA) have no interest in helping to fund it because they believe this will only cause more immigrants to try and make it to the USA. Which might be true.

On the other hand, I wonder how hard it really is to get to the other side. There's ferries that go around it, right? And if you have the money you can just take a plane, of course.

That's a hilariously wrongbrained version of why US capitalists don't care for the gap

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/iamchelz_/status/1279956175681916929

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1902 French Indochina was overrun with rats. The colonial government hired rat hunters, but even though they were killing over 20 000 rats a day they couldn't even make a dent in the rat population. The solution was to set å bounty on one cent per dead rat. They even had the ingenious idea of telling people to just show up with the tail so to not flood the governmental offices with rat corpses. And sure enough the rat tails started to pour in. But then people started to notice that the rats were still there, they were just missing their tails. A dead rat can't generate any more money after all, but an alive rat (without a tail) can produce more rats which means more money. People even began smuggling rats into the country and set up rat breeding farms. The government then gave up one extermination the rats and in 1906 there was an outbreak of the bubonic plague in Hanoi. Paul Doumer, the then governor of French Indochina and the man responsible for it all, later became president of France.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

In 1902 French Indochina was overrun with rats. The colonial government hired rat hunters, but even though they were killing over 20 000 rats a day they couldn't even make a dent in the rat population. The solution was to set å bounty on one cent per dead rat. They even had the ingenious idea of telling people to just show up with the tail so to not flood the governmental offices with rat corpses. And sure enough the rat tails started to pour in. But then people started to notice that the rats were still there, they were just missing their tails. A dead rat can't generate any more money after all, but an alive rat (without a tail) can produce more rats which means more money. People even began smuggling rats into the country and set up rat breeding farms. The government then gave up one extermination the rats and in 1906 there was an outbreak of the bubonic plague in Hanoi. Paul Doumer, the then governor of French Indochina and the man responsible for it all, later became president of France.

I've heard more or less this story but colonial India with cobras.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if the same thing will happen in Florida with iguanas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Iguanas, gators, and rattlesnakes are all really tasty and I dunno why we don't eat more reptiles tbh. I know turtle was/still is in some places a super common food even in the west.

e: I imagine there's a lot critters like turtles, squirrel, etc that we used to eat loads of but they fell out of favour sometime between the Victorian era and the fifties due to being associated with lower class subsistence eating.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It’s the one the phenomenon is named for.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iguanas, gators, and rattlesnakes are all really tasty and I dunno why we don't eat more reptiles tbh. I know turtle was/still is in some places a super common food even in the west.

e: I imagine there's a lot critters like turtles, squirrel, etc that we used to eat loads of but they fell out of favour sometime between the Victorian era and the fifties due to being associated with lower class subsistence eating.

Squirrel and dumplings is kick rear end.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You know what's underated meat?

Horse. A good foal steak easily rivals beef.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Some counties put a bounty on coyotes because it was believed that shooting them would protect livestock. Many counties allowed you to bring in the nose. So hunters would skin out the pads of the paws and punch 2 holes in them. That turned each coyote in to 5 when collecting the bounty. It also didn't do anything to change the coyote populations.

We are now experiencing the same thing with feral pigs being a major issue but also a money maker for some landowners who would rather perpetuate the cycle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lobsters kinda did the opposite.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of food did. Foie gras, for example, was made by jews in the middle ages which meant that few non-jews would would dream about eating it and anglerfish was thrown back into the sea for a long time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

that one is kind of interesting actually, it's partially a triumph of improved techniques. if you cook lobster while the creature is dead it significantly spoils the taste making it much less edible and that was the stuff that was considered inhumane to use on prisoners, lovely to feed to your indentured servants, etc. i have also read that lobster spoils incredibly quickly and to a very foul state - it made it impossible to serve anywhere but near water. at some point around the time the trains figured out they could offer fresh foods like this inland due to their incredible speed, some chefs figured out that the meat tastes much better if you boil them live and the infrastructures and technologies for keeping them alive and effective refrigeration and such really took off in a big way.

it is kind of wild that in many supermarkets in Canada where I grew up would have what are essentially wet market aquariums. i can't recall seeing them in the UK though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've eaten frozen long dead langoustine (Norway Lobster) and boiled alive proper lobster and the difference in taste is negligible though there is some difference in texture.

Anglerfish tastes almost identical to both.

But I imagine modern freezing techniques go a long way to preserve the meat. Shellfish that's any less than totally fresh can be incredibly foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've eaten frozen long dead langoustine (Norway Lobster) and boiled alive proper lobster and the difference in taste is negligible though there is some difference in texture.

Anglerfish tastes almost identical to both.

But I imagine modern freezing techniques go a long way to preserve the meat. Shellfish that's any less than totally fresh can be incredibly foul.

they were (in america at least) traditionally caught like any other fish, ie, traumatically and to their demise. they most certainly did not see refrigeration (even of the primitive ice box sort typically) at sea, meaning the clock to them to start getting rank and full of horrible bacteria already started well before they got to shore. better techniques and infrastructure, such as non-lethal traps and special boats with hulls that let seawater in to the bottom of the boat so the catch can stay alive for longer, all contributed to lobster's ascension.

the chefs discovering the technique was a rediscovery really - humans have been boiling lobsters alive since roman times at least.