Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do hope the ghost writer team get another shot at a series.

For everything wrong with it, the art is pretty great at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexo posted:

Yeah a number of Manga don't poll, but sell significantly better as volumes/tanks than their rankings would indicate

People have come out post-Bakuman and said that the way things work now volume sales are much more important than poll rankings

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk if this is the thread to start posting about old poo poo, but I started reading Yugioh and I can definitely see why this because a thing. It’s very bingeable in the sense that all the duels so far are the equivalent of two kids just making up bullshit like “my dragon gets a terrain bonus from this rock on the field that’s somewhat dragon shaped” “aha! you’ve fallen into my trap card of Anti-Dragon Rocks!” and it’s just interesting to see how this capricious lowkey malevolent god of games cheats his way to victory harder than his enemies do (just finished the Haga/Weevil duel).

I think everyone knows how batshit insane/amazing the older parts were by now, but I’m guessing they’re taking a backseat to Duel Monsters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blockhouse posted:

People have come out post-Bakuman and said that the way things work now volume sales are much more important than poll rankings
That explains why so many series end right at the 2 volume mark. If your first volume doesn't sell you're out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think the idea was perfectly workable, it's just the main character was totally unlikable and the most interesting parts of the premise were dropped immediately. The story also couldn't sit still for more than like two chapters, skipping over huge chunks that could have been used for interesting character development to try to rush the story along towards...well, nothing really. I feel like almost everyone could relate to that phenomenal first chapter, and Aino as a character was surprisingly likable - having her be included as an assistant was a neat idea. Develop the story from there to include him learning how to actually improve his art and his craft, actually learn the skills necessary to do what he couldn't. Develop the relationship between him and Aino as friends and eventually rivals as she gets her own manga. Etc etc. "Learning to be a great artist" is not all that much different from "learning to be a great fighter" or "learning to be a great volleyball player" or "learning to be a great hero" or whatever, but it needs to be well structured and written, which Ghostwriter wasn't.

I feel like the editor may have been telling the author that his series was heading for the chopping block unless something changed, so they felt compelled to constantly shake things up in an effort to get more people reading.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Last Celebration posted:

Idk if this is the thread to start posting about old poo poo, but I started reading Yugioh and I can definitely see why this because a thing. It’s very bingeable in the sense that all the duels so far are the equivalent of two kids just making up bullshit like “my dragon gets a terrain bonus from this rock on the field that’s somewhat dragon shaped” “aha! you’ve fallen into my trap card of Anti-Dragon Rocks!” and it’s just interesting to see how this capricious lowkey malevolent god of games cheats his way to victory harder than his enemies do (just finished the Haga/Weevil duel).

I think everyone knows how batshit insane/amazing the older parts were by now, but I’m guessing they’re taking a backseat to Duel Monsters.

Yeah, you could tell that the author hadn't really planned out how Duel Monsters was actually supposed to play in real life and was just winging it for the first couple of arcs. To say nothing about Pre-DM Yu-Gi-Oh which may as well be a different series entirely.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah, you could tell that the author hadn't really planned out how Duel Monsters was actually supposed to play in real life and was just winging it for the first couple of arcs. To say nothing about Pre-DM Yu-Gi-Oh which may as well be a different series entirely.

Honestly when they got to Duelist Kingdom I was pretty surprised that the “new rules” weren’t just, you know, the actual rear end Duel Monster rules. I guess that’s a liberty the anime took cause it made sense? Or at least I remember things like summon sacrifices being a thing there?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly when they got to Duelist Kingdom I was pretty surprised that the “new rules” weren’t just, you know, the actual rear end Duel Monster rules. I guess that’s a liberty the anime took cause it made sense? Or at least I remember things like summon sacrifices being a thing there?

I’m pretty sure the anime has never stuck too closely to the actual rules of the game. Is this not the case in the manga?

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

That was Battle City, DK was pretty much calvinball.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the anime has never stuck too closely to the actual rules of the game. Is this not the case in the manga?

Once they get to GX it starts playing by the rules pretty consistently with the exception of being able to play cards in face up defense mode for better setpieces.

They usually get around the rule stuff by inventing stuff like Speed-duels or Performaduels or whatever each season so they can do gimmicky stuff without being tied to the rules. But when they do normal stuff its pretty 1:1. They never have the Calvinball stuff any more, cards have consistent effects duel to duel even if they sometimes work slightly differently than they do in real life (because a lot are adapted from the anime to the game and get some of their more ridiculous power toned down or altered once printed).

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 27, 2020

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

seems like it is pretty far removed from when helck happened, though. there was just the one human kingdom in helck, and they had no concept of demihumans.

one of the cool parts about helck was that the world was so vast to the point of where the empire which you see like a tiny amount of was completely unaware there were other continents, nevermind just places outside of its borders

so its totally possible that this takes place in the same era but in a different area.

like despite being a potential world ending threat, the scope of the bad guys in helck never technically exceeded the northern front of the empire - iirc a neverending army of helck level warriors was only rated as an ss danger level to the north's sss+ which is wild

we never even saw the other 2 guardians or the dragon emperor lol

that one of the protags of helck 2 is the white tiger who iirc was the guardian assigned to the northern border is a pretty intetesting hook Lore Wise

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Mulva posted:

Incidentally The Vertical World is rad as gently caress and more people should read it.

I can vouch for this manga being rad as gently caress
It's got the art of mob psycho 100 but instead of a SoL coming-of-age story its a scifi adventure that just constantly escalates
In fact, you totally should go read it now
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100074

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
For the longest time while reading Helck, I was CONVINCED that the portal had shunted them forward in time. I was kinda sad when that wasn't the case, but the series was good anyways so who cares

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Sindai posted:

That explains why so many series end right at the 2 volume mark. If your first volume doesn't sell you're out.

No, a volume for a series doesn't come out till like 2-3 months after the chapters for it are released, and by that point the series could be dead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think the idea was perfectly workable, it's just the main character was totally unlikable and the most interesting parts of the premise were dropped immediately. The story also couldn't sit still for more than like two chapters, skipping over huge chunks that could have been used for interesting character development to try to rush the story along towards...well, nothing really. I feel like almost everyone could relate to that phenomenal first chapter, and Aino as a character was surprisingly likable - having her be included as an assistant was a neat idea. Develop the story from there to include him learning how to actually improve his art and his craft, actually learn the skills necessary to do what he couldn't. Develop the relationship between him and Aino as friends and eventually rivals as she gets her own manga. Etc etc. "Learning to be a great artist" is not all that much different from "learning to be a great fighter" or "learning to be a great volleyball player" or "learning to be a great hero" or whatever, but it needs to be well structured and written, which Ghostwriter wasn't.

Ghostwriter's main problem is that instead of trying to focus on making a good story, it was too obsessed trying to justify the MC's actions as a heroic plagiarist. The story was doomed by chapter 2, when the MC justified stealing White Knight by saying he's now obligated to tell that story to the fans, as well as not explaining the time travel deal to Aino in a decent manner. If the author just buried the MC and focused on Aino, or that one assistant who had given up on going pro but got inspired to try again by White Knight, then maybe the story could have gone on a better direction.

Also, despite being a manga about making manga, we never really see pages of White Knight or Anima, unlike in Bakuman. It's hard to believe that White Knight or Anima are these amazing "manga that have no message in it" when we don't get a sneak peek at it. Most importantly, Ghostwriter just completely fails to make creating manga look fun or engaging. The MC always looks stressed and miserable as he draws, and Aino's chapter shows she lost her spark on why she made manga in the first place.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

Ghostwriter's main problem is that instead of trying to focus on making a good story, it was too obsessed trying to justify the MC's actions as a heroic plagiarist. The story was doomed by chapter 2, when the MC justified stealing White Knight by saying he's now obligated to tell that story to the fans, as well as not explaining the time travel deal to Aino in a decent manner. If the author just buried the MC and focused on Aino, or that one assistant who had given up on going pro but got inspired to try again by White Knight, then maybe the story could have gone on a better direction.

Also, despite being a manga about making manga, we never really see pages of White Knight or Anima, unlike in Bakuman. It's hard to believe that White Knight or Anima are these amazing "manga that have no message in it" when we don't get a sneak peek at it. Most importantly, Ghostwriter just completely fails to make creating manga look fun or engaging. The MC always looks stressed and miserable as he draws, and Aino's chapter shows she lost her spark on why she made manga in the first place.

All very good points. I actually disagree with showing the manga though, I think with how monumentally good White Knight is supposed to be, leaving it mostly up to your imagination was a good move.

That being said, what you posted in bold is 100% spot on. Why didn't they have scenes explaining how manga gets made? Why didn't they have scenes discussing how panel and speech bubble layout can make a huge impact? Why didn't they show how composition can be used to lead the eye around? Etc. If they couldn't make interesting characters, they easily could have included interesting info about what makes a good manga that most readers won't know about.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1298960750724214787?s=20

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That's a very quick rebound isn't it? Guardian of the witch was cancelled not to long ago right?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well, a one-shot is just a one shot, not a full on series. Also an artist has gotta eat.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I feel like it doesn't even need to be said anymore, but this week's Roboco was fantastic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The phantom seer manga seems dece.

I like the art and the Heroine a bit up in the air on the MC.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Lmao the ending of Time Paradox Ghostwriter was so bad.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh poo poo, an extra chapter of Mitama Secureity!

Ghostwriter ended in the most boring and predictable way possible, yawn.

Phantom Seer has potential, the characters are kinda fun and the art is good. I hope it explores the idea of "your hopes and talents not aligning" since that's an interesting idea.

Big month for ghosts!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mashle wrapping up the current fight with the promise of more cream puffs in the future. Really leaning into the OPM comparisons but it's a good thing.
Viz
Mangaplus

Jujutsu Kaisen just loving

Chef Sukuna just casually destroying a 140m circle of Shibuya does not bode well for this arc's resolution when we already had a train station of casualties. Poor Yuji looks like he's on the verge of breaking down.
Viz
Mangaplus

Ragna Crimson also got a new chapter yesterday. And it's always a problem to fight an opponent who places no value on his troops whatsoever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Here lies Ghost Plagerist, it never scored.

Other than that fairly good bunch this week.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
finally, a Shonen Jump series about teens battling demons

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I feel like it doesn't even need to be said anymore, but this week's Roboco was fantastic.

I was in stitches, absolutely fantastic. So many golden lines and panels.

Mashle finished the fight really well, this was One Punch man and naruto’s Night Guy in one.
Now we’re up for my least favorite guys probably, but it will probably be stupid.

I didn’t like Agravity Boys this week.

Moriking was fun.

There’s also a new series fantom seer, which I haven’t checked out yet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phantom Seer is a solid loving EH.
Oh no a highschool girl with 0 agency and character is thrust into an unfamiliar world of ghosts and demons and only the badass MC can help!
2020 hasnt been a good year for new serious manga in jump. Maybe the virus is putting a damper on morale of the new guys.

But theyve just been so predictable and utterly boring.
Rip Ghostwriter, I will have forgotten it completely come next week.

Re: Jujutsu Kaisen
I should be mad at the story for staying in one place in one event for so long. HOWEVER were still getting new turns in the story and actual advancement of our knowledge of the world and of the characters.

Whats the innocent bystander death count at this point though? Sukuna just eviscerated near everyone the shamans evacuated, plus everyone Mahito touched or got ate by curses.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 30, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn’t really understand this week’s Jujutsu Kaisen. Sukuna’s domain expansion failed against Mahoraga so he just uses a different technique to one shot it? What?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

I didn’t really understand this week’s Jujutsu Kaisen. Sukuna’s domain expansion failed against Mahoraga so he just uses a different technique to one shot it? What?

I think his thing is that he doesn't do the kind of domain expansion we've seen so far, where you put up a barrier, instead its just a wide rear end AOE

edit:
I misunderstood the question, read this one
\/\/

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 31, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

I think he just finished it off with his fire technique because it was regenerating from his domain expansion, and if it had regenerated, it would have become immune to the domain expansion due to its ability to adapt.

Sukuna used Dismantle -> Maho recovered and adapted -> Sukuna used Cleave -> Maho had some cutting resistance due to its adaptation from Dismantle and began to recover -> Sukuna used Fire Arrow before Maho could fully recover -> Dead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Monster #8: Read through it all. What started as an interesting premise of having an older protagonist and the struggle that comes with applying for a job that he failed before becomes kinda generic since he can turn into an impossibly strong monster at will. I didn't like how the genius monster-slayer girl gets introduced in one chapter, only to job a chapter later. It makes me worried about the power creep because if #8 can easily trash monsters that humans have trouble with, then that means that once monsters appear that even #8 struggles with then the humans will be dead weight.

Ayakashi: I thought maybe the author was finally learning to tone down the horny these past couple chapters, but hoooooley poo poo this chapter was like a volcanic eruption from the author.

Agravity Boys: I loved that this episode is just them geeking out over a show. The way everyone has different tastes and favorite seasons while Grislow acts as the person who hasn't seen the show really makes it feel like a genuine bonding session between friends. The punchline at the ending where they're bored with the current episode and telling Grislow that the show gets really good a couple episodes after this was just :discourse:.

Ghostwriter: It ended, I guess. It really bugged me when Aino kept singing praises of the MC's genius and how his new manga has completely beat hers. There was no explanation of the time machine, or how he stole White Knight from her, or that the only reason this new manga beats Anima is that he had the advantage of pausing time for 34 years to work on it. Sure, he saved Aino, but he also kept quiet and let her keep on believing he's an awesome mangaka. Oh well, at least this trainwreck of a series is over.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Think it's hosed up that in Burn the Witch good dragons are objects and creatures willing to be enslaved by humanity.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Meadowhill posted:

Think it's hosed up that in Burn the Witch good dragons are objects and creatures willing to be enslaved by humanity.
Bleach is a hosed up cosmology.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Meadowhill posted:

But enough about the Flintstones

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think he just finished it off with his fire technique because it was regenerating from his domain expansion, and if it had regenerated, it would have become immune to the domain expansion due to its ability to adapt.

Sukuna used Dismantle -> Maho recovered and adapted -> Sukuna used Cleave -> Maho had some cutting resistance due to its adaptation from Dismantle and began to recover -> Sukuna used Fire Arrow before Maho could fully recover -> Dead.

Yeah thats the gist of it.
Sukunas domain can exist outside of a barrier, directly affecting the world itself. and its effect, or at least its guaranteed hit, is to automatically attack everything and anything within its range with dismantle/cleave.

And it doesnt seem that he has to remain within its range for it to still work. Scary stuff for sure.

Also poster who posited sukuna is a chef:
You mught have the right of it, the knives shown when explaining sukunas power are kitchen knives.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 31, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

amigolupus posted:

Monster #8: Read through it all. What started as an interesting premise of having an older protagonist and the struggle that comes with applying for a job that he failed before becomes kinda generic since he can turn into an impossibly strong monster at will. I didn't like how the genius monster-slayer girl gets introduced in one chapter, only to job a chapter later. It makes me worried about the power creep because if #8 can easily trash monsters that humans have trouble with, then that means that once monsters appear that even #8 struggles with then the humans will be dead weight.

Ayakashi: I thought maybe the author was finally learning to tone down the horny these past couple chapters, but hoooooley poo poo this chapter was like a volcanic eruption from the author.

Agravity Boys: I loved that this episode is just them geeking out over a show. The way everyone has different tastes and favorite seasons while Grislow acts as the person who hasn't seen the show really makes it feel like a genuine bonding session between friends. The punchline at the ending where they're bored with the current episode and telling Grislow that the show gets really good a couple episodes after this was just :discourse:.

Ghostwriter: It ended, I guess. It really bugged me when Aino kept singing praises of the MC's genius and how his new manga has completely beat hers. There was no explanation of the time machine, or how he stole White Knight from her, or that the only reason this new manga beats Anima is that he had the advantage of pausing time for 34 years to work on it. Sure, he saved Aino, but he also kept quiet and let her keep on believing he's an awesome mangaka. Oh well, at least this trainwreck of a series is over.

I love that the MC of the show only has one expression regardless even as his series wildly changes genres.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
If anybody's interested, the second (first?) chapter of the Helck sequel was just posted.

It looks like the new series might be set in the 10 kingdoms period, which iirc would be about 1500 years before the 'modern day' of Helck.

Still, there's already been a 108 year-long timeskip, so it doesn't rule out that we'll catch up eventually.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 1, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I want to read Agravity Boys and Mashle but the middle chapters aren't available to me and neither is Viz :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There sure are a lot of harem manga starting on Mangaplus these days.

Anyway, a prequel for the 7 deadly sins sequel

Anyone else still enjoying Space Tale? I know I am.