Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't know how well-regarded Beau is ITT, but I watch his videos a lot. He uploaded one this morning about this very thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3KJQ-Cckdg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

beau good

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've read enough poo poo from arfcom, free republic, Zyklon Ben, and other far right nuts over the last decade (thanks to SA). They have been told for decades that a Democratic government is an existential threat to liberty via FEMA death camps and New World Order UN stormtroopers, but the average Democratic voter is a limp-wristed soy boy who will literally shake and piss himself at the sight of a manly man with a gun. So with a Republican manly man controlling the government, they feel free to strap on their arsenals and wander into left wing protests because there won't be a real threat and if anyone throws a bottle it's open season. They've been fantasizing about going into cities and having open season on hippies and "urban ferals" for decades and they think it's their chance now. The Kenosha Kid was explicitly doing this and assumed that the cops would be on his side. We'll see if the jury is. They are probably right that the cops and might be right that the juries will support them. They didn't count on left wing protesters being armed and using the same reasoning about shooting first. After Kyle Rittenhouse's actions, armed left wing protesters are going to be a lot more jumpy and shoot a lot faster rather than risk being gunned down by militia nuts.

It's gonna escalate.

Remember: "Boogaloo bois" ultimately refers to a second civil war (or, as their fathers would have called it, RaHoWa) so these people are going to want to escalate it.

We're also careening toward a worsening of the recession and potential start of a no-poo poo Big-D Depression. One thing people forget (or rather, probably don't want to remember) is that the Great Depression started ~1.5-2 years *after* the stock market crash. The Titanic didn't sink immediately after hitting the iceberg, it took time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Man I teed up the 1st ep of "It Could Happen Here" while mowing the law this morning and uh gently caress that was way way too on the nose considering the last 72-96h. gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Local police are saying he was acting in self defense and no charges will be brought.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Local police are saying he was acting in self defense and no charges will be brought.

So what options does this leave you with?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think that they're correct that only one side is armed and organized. I'd go further and say, it's also the only side with political representation.

My dad was in Chile in and around their 9/11, and is convinced that's the road we're going down: unarmed leftists found dead in the street as a warning, armed leftists getting an industrial military response they have no way of standing in the face of.

With the size of the US and political dispersion, I certainly feel like there are some places that are more ripe for this sort of thing than others. I can imagine that this would happen in the northwest and parts of the american south with smaller or isolated incidences of violence elsewhere. Like someone said, I really hope we can find one of the off ramps from this somehow. I have a maybe naive hope that there will at least be an attempt to ratchet things down, but who knows. I've worked hard to try and get my anxiety and anger issues under control and all this poo poo going on doesn't help with that at all. I wish I could just find a button and make everything go back to normal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That Works posted:

Civil litigation.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sounds very legit and well reasoned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

I'm trying to figure it out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Carry and shoot first

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mr. Nice! posted:

lol didn't gun guy punch first? lmao that if you got shot in the face while kneeling the chuds would currently be screaming that it was self defense and old buddy would be speaking at the rnc

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Carry and shoot first

Not being shot first means concealed is safer, if you can do it legally.

Incidentally, almost anyone in this thread would be very welcome in the SRA.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm trying to figure it out.

Please don’t feel like you have to discuss pending litigation here in case his attorney goes after your post history or something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doc Hawkins posted:

Not a huge fan of the USSR imagery used in it. Seems like trading one terrible thing for something equally bad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm really kinda nervous about my decision that I'm not currently safe with a gun :(

Midjack posted:

Please don’t feel like you have to discuss pending litigation here in case his attorney goes after your post history or something.

iirc Mr Nice has a degree in law, so I hope he has a handle on what to do :gritin:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Midjack posted:

Not that I assume anyone in here is a lawyer, but how would you subpoena someones posting history?

During discovery do you go up to the opposing lawyer and say "I want all social media and forums accounts linked to your client, and also a print out of all his posts dating between x and y".

To verify it do you hire detectives to go on various sites [reddit/somethingawful/4chan] to look for evidence that posterx==guyx?

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Since loving South Duhkota isn't exactly a hotbed of protest I have nothing to attend. The College Republicans Young Americans for Liberty (supposedly a libertarian group) is bringing in some guy name Bryson Grey, some rapper from South Carolina who's a chud. After reading up on him I feel like he's more Kanye mentally ill than anything. His big gimmick is one of those clown top hats in redhat mode, apparently. The College Dems, who are led by one of my favorite students, are counter protesting. I might go but I as I'm a professor here I probably should not.

Also, fun COVID update: there's been a fallout from both Sturgis and the stupid County Fair which they insisted on having. There's been an uptick in cases and the state is starting to make quarantine lists, as in if you travel from here you get to chill for two weeks in several states, including Chicago. Two confirmed cases on campus but I have at least ten students saying they've been exposed. It's not Alabama but this is a small school so as it rises numbers will matter. Rumors of the school going completely online again are so big that the President actually sent out an email trying to disprove them.

Been reading about Prison riots. The New Mexico riot in 1980 is batshit insane. Attica in 1971 is way more organized and interesting. It's amazing that in both the CO's were completely untrained and unprepared and nothing changed.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Not a huge fan of the USSR imagery used in it. Seems like trading one terrible thing for something equally bad.

SRA has all types and you'd be very welcome in the Puget Sound Chapter. When you're back from Italy I wouldn't mind bringing you along to a range day if you want to actually check it out crab dad

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

I'm really kinda nervous about my decision that I'm not currently safe with a gun :(

I'm not exactly an ideal firearms owner, but no mental health doctor is going to convince me to get rid of my guns. Not with the mess coming down on us now. Just glad I didn't offload them after my VA stay.

Really could do with finding some .38 special and .357 mag ammo. That isn't 60¢ and 80¢ a round.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Midjack posted:

Yeah, this. Time to go radio silent.

Defenestrategy posted:

Not that I assume anyone in here is a lawyer, but how would you subpoena someones posting history?

During discovery do you go up to the opposing lawyer and say "I want all social media and forums accounts linked to your client, and also a print out of all his posts dating between x and y".

To verify it do you hire detectives to go on various sites [reddit/somethingawful/4chan] to look for evidence that posterx==guyx?

You can ask for it during discovery.

*edit*

Oh wait he's a fellow law goon? I'll stop throwing in my two cents then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Same. Not worth answering questions about for work, either.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think that they're correct that only one side is armed and organized. I'd go further and say, it's also the only side with political representation.

My dad was in Chile in and around their 9/11, and is convinced that's the road we're going down: unarmed leftists found dead in the street as a warning, armed leftists getting an industrial military response they have no way of standing in the face of.

I mean yeah let's not pretend which side the government will fall on

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Nice is an attorney so he has a better handle on that than I do. However, I'm aware of multiple legal happenings that have pulled in SA post histories (custody and stalker stuff), and we have no idea if the aggressor or one of his friends is reading this thread.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean yeah let's not pretend which side the government will fall on

Will? They made that choice decades ago.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hi fbi

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

hi fbi

They're here building their case against Mr nice for shoving his face in the way of that brave patriots gun

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Doc Hawkins posted:

The argument you made was that cross-racial solidarity makes you feel bad, and that Obama makes black people feel good.  This was your response to others saying that voting booths won't help stop white supremacist violence.

No, my response was towards people here and on twitter acting incredulous over the fact LeBron and a group of NBA players reached out to Obama of all people for advice. Feel free to go find the post where I said that by merely voting we would solve the problem white supremacy and police brutality. I'll wait. 

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're consistently talking about feelings, presentation, marketing, approval ratings...in short, celebrity.  Things you can appreciate but accept as being out of your hands, except that you can argue over their interpretation.

Feelings are a huge driver behind why many people vote, strike, or demonstrate for/against particular things. This isn't a controversial argument with most people. Sorry if you feel differently. Also, sorry if you see the statement that Obama is still deeply popular within the black community as "presentation, marketing...celebrity", I don't know what the gently caress you want to hear but my apologies I'm not here to echo-chamber for you.

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're living in a world of dreams and punching at shadows while people are being starved, evicted, and killed.
Oh gently caress right off dude, you have no idea the struggles or problems I've faced or continue to face. I don't pretend to know yours nor am I going to pretend that I do based on your posts here. I didn't realize that I'm only qualified to post about any of this unless my or my family's personal hardships met your litmus tests. If you want to project, go find someone else to do it with

Doc Hawkins posted:

Even if I granted the ludicrous premise that voting is the proper and primary way of building power, something worth trading away the most high-profile strike in our lifetime for a miniscule boost to, anyone in this thread could, in a week of volunteering, net more votes for the candidates of their choice in November than they've ever placed personally in their life. It isn't hard, even when you're as dumb as I am.  Your individual vote is nothing to waste time being proud of, other people's individual vote is nothing to waste time badgering them over.

First off, I don't give a poo poo how you or anyone else here ultimately votes. Please feel free to find my posts that I spent time badgering people here to vote or vote for Biden or Bernie or any other candidate. If someone here wants to make the argument that voting is useless, I'm free to take issue with that argument, but I could care a less if that specific poster votes or not. It's not my problem nor am I going to spend my time thinking about it.

Second, myself and several other people here have said multiple times, voting is not the ultimate solution to these problems but it is one thing that you can do in addition to several other actions to push for the change you want to see in the world. You can disagree with that premise all you want, but no one here including myself said that merely voting will solve this problem. If you want to keep strawmanning my argument, feel free but I'm done with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is straight up bullshit.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 30, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He (Mr. Nice) is talking about the rear end in a top hat who pulled a gun on him, Ralph.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

No I know, I was stating that charges not getting brought up against that rear end in a top hat is bullshit.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's the guy that got shot yesterday in Portland, just defending the guy that murdered two people on public transit (in 2017)

https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/871099079710953472?s=19

He's no angel etc.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/portland-wins-wear-fox-hat-oregon-license-photo-article-1.2564433

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1300193398477946883

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wait for Orktober.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

No, my response was towards people here and on twitter acting incredulous over the fact LeBron and a group of NBA players reached out to Obama of all people for advice. Feel free to go find the post where I said that by merely voting we would solve the problem white supremacy and police brutality. I'll wait. 

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also "practically nothing" in this case was getting the owners to turn arenas into voting centers and spending money to drive turnout among other things.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Asking this in good faith, what did you realistically expect them to do here?

I slept on this question and don't think I gave it question the answer it deserved. If you mean, what did I predict they would do, then I hadn't given it any thought. If you mean, what could they realistically have done in the short term, each team could have demanded the appropriate office-holders in their cities commit to defunding or disarming or really loving anything the police. Wait for the owners to call them and put them through the wringer. Have a big joint press conference, shake hands, smiling for the cameras. "We're so glad we can count on you." Then later if they back out, announce how betrayed and disappointed you are and strike again.

quote:

Feelings are a huge driver behind why many people vote, strike, or demonstrate for/against particular things. This isn't a controversial argument with most people. Sorry if you feel differently. Also, sorry if you see the statement that Obama is still deeply popular within the black community as "presentation, marketing...celebrity", I don't know what the gently caress you want to hear but my apologies I'm not here to echo-chamber for you.

You left "approval ratings" out from that list, hopefully because you're able to see exactly how it connects. Even if not, people were spitting on the ground at the mention of a strikebreaker, and you were exclaiming that famous LeBron James famously likes the famous Obamas and who could object to him calling on them?? Probably racists! You're engaging with the world at the level of personality, hurt feelings, and yes, celebrity. Figure it out.

quote:

Oh gently caress right off dude, you have no idea the struggles or problems I've faced or continue to face. I don't pretend to know yours nor am I going to pretend that I do based on your posts here. I didn't realize that I'm only qualified to post about any of this unless my or my family's personal hardships met your litmus tests. If you want to project, go find someone else to do it with

I made no claims and hold no beliefs about hardships you've faced. It seems that's a sensitive subject to you. You don't deserve to be subject to litmus tests, and I hope you choose to stop applying them to others.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Less a dogwhistle than a fascsignal

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lame.

Pastafarians figured this poo poo out a long time ago.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Less a dogwhistle than a fascsignal

Kinda interesting to go through the comments to see how many are pretty blatant sock puppet or bot accounts. Many “left the left,” “left the plantation,” or “Former democrat,” all of which are POC, posting in support of a white supremacist.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Here's the guy that got shot yesterday in Portland, just defending the guy that murdered two people on public transit (in 2017)

https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/871099079710953472?s=19

He's no angel etc.

Him saying poo poo like that and it’s a wonder someone didn’t shoot him much sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The case he's talking about, wasn't that the guy that was dragged out of his sentencing hearing while screaming "I shoulda killed you too bitch"?