Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mayveena posted:

I have been playing in a micro bubble for three months. Here are the rules for how we play.

Mine are different. What we do is, we try not to let cubes be added to a city with three cubes of the same color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mayveena posted:

I have been playing in a micro bubble for three months. Here are the rules for how we play.
Hands must be washed after using the restroom

Wow, this thing is really bringing out people's authoritarianism. I could not live under such tyranny.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah totally understand. Remember these are board games, not something you get paid to do. But we have to do what we can to mitigate the risk. So if people don't want to play like that, it's totally fine with us, they are still friends and waiting the day when we can play without masks. We only have six people total anyway and that's all we'll ever have.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think that was a joke pointing to the incredible lack of hygiene some people exhibit by not washing their hands after going to the bathroom.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I think that was a joke pointing to the incredible lack of hygiene some people exhibit by not washing their hands after going to the bathroom.

Oh :). Before all this I was misdiagnosed with Emphysema so we were already practicing extra hygiene anyway. I got the diagnosis corrected just as the lockdown started so it wasn't a big change.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Have you gotten to play with any game brain folks, or is this a separate bubble?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Have you gotten to play with any game brain folks, or is this a separate bubble?

Yes, Dmitry is part of our bubble but the issue is there that he's allergic to my cats so we must play outside. Well it hasn't been under 90F in a month, so he'll probably be back next month or in October. The rest may or may not have a separate bubble, I don't know, haven't asked.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SiKboy posted:

If you wouldnt rate a game 10 out of 10 on BGG, its probably not worth risking killing your friends and famliy to play it.

Time to break out mega civ with 17 other people.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Time to break out mega civ with 17 other people.

I’m in

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Fat Samurai posted:

b) now I want to make inserts for everything.

I've got the same problem. I may or may not have bought certain expansions primarily because the base game didn't have enough components to warrant an insert.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bottom Liner posted:

What limitations? It's the full game, the full code, and the full experience.

This is from a while ago but when one gets older, playing something like Civ 6 on an ipad -- even an 11" diagonal screen one -- might be the full game under the hood but it is really not an ideal experience.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've just finished smashing out 100 games of Uno* with my partner across a 12 day period... I feel like I should probably be turning in my SA Board Game thread membership card for this, but at least I'm now MUCH closer to being back on track to completing the 365 play challenge! :D

*$5 well spent, or $5 poorly spent? I'm still unsure, about that one! haha

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Buy Uno Flip. Mixes the regular Uno formula up really nicely.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

I've just finished smashing out 100 games of Uno* with my partner across a 12 day period... I feel like I should probably be turning in my SA Board Game thread membership card for this, but at least I'm now MUCH closer to being back on track to completing the 365 play challenge! :D

game is a game

If you're enjoying it, enjoying the company, doesn't loving matter, especially right now.

Speaking of which, I got to unshrink a random copy of Cities that I had picked up a long time ago, and played it with my wife. I'd played it online a few times, she had not. It's a tile laying flip-and-place or whatever the gently caress you want to call that genre that's basically Roland Wright. Put 16 tiles in a 4x4 grid, put 7 meeples on at your convenience with some small movement abilities, final scoring is based on groups of like-colored squares with a couple more bits of scoring.

Dead simple, took 5 minutes to explain and 10 minutes to play. Super easy, and there's even easier variants in the rulebook for, what I have to assume, 6 year olds.

I mostly hate R&W so this one is nice to be able to enjoy, both online and in person.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'll still judge you for playing Uno. What the gently caress? Uno?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

If it makes you feel better, we put in the same amount of hours into Gloomhaven earlier today, as we did for Uno the last couple of weeks! :D

Needless to say, I think that my Uno deck isn't gonna see the light of day for a little while, as we're both a bit fatigued. Back to Hey, That's My Fish for a while, I think!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Major Isoor posted:

If it makes you feel better, we put in the same amount of hours into Gloomhaven earlier today, as we did for Uno the last couple of weeks! :D

Needless to say, I think that my Uno deck isn't gonna see the light of day for a little while, as we're both a bit fatigued. Back to Hey, That's My Fish for a while, I think!

Board gaming rosaries - for every sin of Uno you must do 10 Hail Gloomhavens and 6 18xx's. Go in peace, my son and sin no more.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Has anyone checked out the Targi expansion? Is it a banger?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Playing Uno with my kid made me realize it actually has a very important purpose. Because you can’t choose who you target, you can learn how to disassociate in game aggression from personal aggression.

Of course that was playing with a five year old and now she’s bored on Uno already so, yeah, that many games of Uno? On purpose?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
If they ever ship it to me maybe

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

djfooboo posted:

i'm under the impression it is well-received

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Uno Attack is the true gentleman's variant.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

djfooboo posted:

If the myth of its NA release ever proves true I'll let you know.

Looking at you CSI, June 7th release date my rear end.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

djfooboo posted:

Mine came from Amazon two days ago out of nowhere after they said it was getting delayed until late September. I just got a chance to play it a few hours ago and my initial impression is that it's a good expansion. It adds just enough to make it more strategic without adding a ton of more stuff and rules overhead. If you liked Targi I think you will like this. My wife explained it well after we played. She said if they sold the expansion with the base game you could have original Targi as the beginner version for first time players and the Expansion adds just enough to be an advanced version.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 30, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

silvergoose posted:

...now I miss blacksmithing classes, gently caress

I have this crazy idea to make a competitive but you have to work together smithing game, so like you help me pump the bellows and I'll help you with the grinder later

The weird thing with blacksmithing I've seen in video/board games is nothing has ever actually attempted to replicate the mechanics of forging something out in itself, it's just melt iron -> object or select blade + handle = object. But most real work is rails and grilles and hinges and tools when all people want to do is gently caress around with knives and most games are "about" weapons, I don't know how you'd depict scrolling something in a game.

The place I teach at has been very aggressive with their Covid policy, putting up dividers between gas forges, sink going to automatic water and soap dispensing, classes cut in half, mandatory masks which apparently only one person so far has argued against; from what I gather he was given his money back and told to get out.

Given the nature of the work you don't tend to be that close to people anyways, if you got a place near you you should see if they've put safeguards in place.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 31, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

threelemmings posted:

The weird thing with blacksmithing I've seen in video/board games is nothing has ever actually attempted to replicate the mechanics of forging something out in itself, it's just melt iron -> object or select blade + handle = object. But most real work is rails and grilles and hinges and tools when all people want to do is gently caress around with knives and most games are "about" weapons, I don't know how you'd depict scrolling something in a game.

The place I teach at has been very aggressive with their Covid policy, putting up dividers between gas forges, sink going to automatic water and soap dispensing, classes cut in half, mandatory masks which apparently only one person so far has argued against; from what I gather he was given his money back and told to get out.

Given the nature of the work you don't tend to be that close to people anyways, if you got a place near you you should see if they've put safeguards in place.

Yeah like, my barely idea would aim to actually care about the details. Blacksmithing is so fun, and for some reason washing soot out of your hair makes it silky smooth.

Anyway good on your forge, sounds like all's right.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Yeah like, my barely idea would aim to actually care about the details. Blacksmithing is so fun, and for some reason washing soot out of your hair makes it silky smooth.

Anyway good on your forge, sounds like all's right.

consider washing your hair even when there isn't soot in it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

homullus posted:

consider washing your hair even when there isn't soot in it

Hmmmmm. Interesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fat Samurai posted:

My two problems now are: a) that I can’t use it until my group meets again and b) now I want to make inserts for everything.

I know what you mean. I've made a little over half a dozen inserts at this point, some I'm actually quite proud of, and I find now as I'm opening new games that I'm also thinking in the back of my mind about how is make an insert for it.

Like, I'm looking at that Spirit Island one, and I'm almost certain I could design one that didn't have any box lift (or substantially less, anyway). If I had the game I'd probably try it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

My group did our first Food Chain Magnate game without expacs today. It was very interesting and I can see why it is popular. Some of the milestones seemed overpowered though esp that +50 cash one is that common?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a timer mechanism for a fast strategy basically. If you rush to $100 you probably don't have the infrastructure to win a long game (where players can get the CFO to even it out) and pricing wars will crush them. Multiple players can get it too if you're all about even.

Another way to think of it is that in inexperienced games it just helps the snowball reach the finish line faster instead of dragging things out. It's not the deterministic milestone it seems to be at first glance.

Speaking of OP milestones, we've been playing a few games with Ketchup milestones where the marketer doesn't get the free trainees which helps slow it down and feel more in line with RG. Doesn't stop it from getting lemonade every time if it wants, but the lack of free trainees means it has to spend the 2nd turn hire on the errand boy instead of what is usually a RG. Also toyed with the idea of just removed the range bonus from it. I've played enough games of Ketchup now (about 35) to firmly say it's the strongest of the 3 openers by a large margin without specific modules to boost the others (namely Night Shift for RG and lobbyist for Trainer). Reserves don't really affect it either, in a short game it has a strong lead when the initial bank breaks and in a long game (or $5 game with new reserves) it coasts to victory with strong trainer tech and equal money from marketing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
New expansion for Bargain Quest just showed up, and while I want to check it out, I also know in my heart that it means two-boxing the game, as the original + all expansions i literally bulging the box on my shelf.

I did the thing where I put a bunch of games into one box (the entirety of the games, box and all, into an empty eldritch horror exp box) so I have some more space but...argh.

Also a new mini-expansion for Clinic arrived a couple days ago, it's called the Covid-19 expansion, turning the game somewhat into a co-op where you're all trying to cure as many patients as you can before they die (all profits of it go to two medical institutions, otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up). I ended up playing the solo core game and realized that I just really like games where you can build little...structures? Towns, buildings, machines, etc, where things are connected logically (so not just a tableau builder) and you have to really plan where things go and such as their placement has ramifications. Must be why I like Dungeon Lords so much, too.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Major Isoor posted:

I've been playing Super Mario Uno, which is just Uno but some of the wilds have a star on them, so you can bounce +2's/+4's back on who used them on you.

Of course, the people I'm playing with are 3 and 5 years old, so that's a decent excuse for playing Uno as an adult.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a timer mechanism for a fast strategy basically. If you rush to $100 you probably don't have the infrastructure to win a long game (where players can get the CFO to even it out) and pricing wars will crush them. Multiple players can get it too if you're all about even.

Another way to think of it is that in inexperienced games it just helps the snowball reach the finish line faster instead of dragging things out. It's not the deterministic milestone it seems to be at first glance.

Speaking of OP milestones, we've been playing a few games with Ketchup milestones where the marketer doesn't get the free trainees which helps slow it down and feel more in line with RG. Doesn't stop it from getting lemonade every time if it wants, but the lack of free trainees means it has to spend the 2nd turn hire on the errand boy instead of what is usually a RG. Also toyed with the idea of just removed the range bonus from it. I've played enough games of Ketchup now (about 35) to firmly say it's the strongest of the 3 openers by a large margin without specific modules to boost the others (namely Night Shift for RG and lobbyist for Trainer). Reserves don't really affect it either, in a short game it has a strong lead when the initial bank breaks and in a long game (or $5 game with new reserves) it coasts to victory with strong trainer tech and equal money from marketing.

One of the strangest things that I enjoy about this thread are in-depth strategy discussions of games that I will never ever play. Without context, it sounds absolutely insane, and I love it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'd like to thank you all for posting in support of the representation thread I started, especially djfooboo who gave me 100 geekgold. It's truly a testament to our group that the only messages left on the front page were from goons. Glad to be here and a part of this, it's what board game discussion should aspire to.

Jennifer Schlickbernd

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mayveena posted:

I'd like to thank you all for posting in support of the representation thread I started, especially djfooboo who gave me 100 geekgold. It's truly a testament to our group that the only messages left on the front page were from goons. Glad to be here and a part of this, it's what board game discussion should aspire to.

Jennifer Schlickbernd

Your OP, plus four goon responses (one of them mine) is all that survived the first page onslaught.

Fun thread!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mine and another are two of those four and are hidden but still there, which means a bunch of people reported us for things like "representation matters" and "they probably don't have enough diverse voices on their teams".

Anyway thanks again for posting it, it really shouldn't be required but clearly fuckin is.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

Jennifer Schlickbernd

Word. :)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I finally picked up Root and uh...there's a lot here to learn. Anyone have a How to Play video they can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Moderation on that BGG thread made me realize how much better active moderation elsewhere could be. Especially that of making "dismissive" worthy of post-scrubbing.