Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Friend, they're all about Victorian England.

(they are the antagonist in a lot of their history episodes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
He's done a lot of writing around it and here's a good piece, although it's more literary based in case that doesn't interest you:

https://exiledonline.com/lord-byron-the-exiles-patron-saint/all/1/

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Have been humming, inject them with the Wuhan flu all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ryIztqI5g

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Matthew Randazzo owns. Fight back a little bit indeed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

drink every time he says documents

It'll go well with mine for whenever Annibale says "pro-ab-ly"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how did i forget that a white militia terrified a biracial family with the assistance of law enforcement by felling trees to create barricades to pin them down in the town from twilight because they had reports of antifa

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I'm only about halfway through the latest episode and I have two thoughts:

1.) I could listen to a whole episodes about Dolan talking about his latest misadventures. I always want the "Where in the World is Dolan now?" parts to go on much longer.

2.) Thomas Frank is amazingly charming.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
He’s been on This is Hell a few times.

Should be able to listen from here.

https://thisishell.com/guests/thomas-frank

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

He’s been on This is Hell a few times.

Should be able to listen from here.

https://thisishell.com/guests/thomas-frank

Thanks! I'll check that out!

Hosie
Mar 21, 2008
Okay.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I didn’t love the latest RWN on Serbia. it was one of those where I think the guest assumed familiarity with the subject. in particular, she said several times that Serbia could be headed for civil war but it really wasn’t clear why. just because people are fed up with th corruption and increasing authoritarianism of the president?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

John Dolan learning about neural networks ftw

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i read dolan's autobiographical book about his college age years in california during the sexual revolution, pleasant hell. it's hilarious, and very well written. i think it's out of print or something because it's really expensive to get a real copy of, but you can find it online.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Finicums Wake posted:

i read dolan's autobiographical book about his college age years in california during the sexual revolution, pleasant hell. it's hilarious, and very well written. i think it's out of print or something because it's really expensive to get a real copy of, but you can find it online.
The scene where he uses Vicks VapoRub as deodorant is beautiful.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

snoremac posted:

The scene where he uses Vicks VapoRub as deodorant is beautiful.

true Goon mindset

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

"John gets a job at the glass factory" was my favorite part, but there are a lot of great moments.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I seem to remember him on an episode telling a story where he fantasized about impressing his crush during a Soviet takeover of America by accurately identifying the machinegun they're about to get massacred with

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

StashAugustine posted:

I seem to remember him on an episode telling a story where he fantasized about impressing his crush during a Soviet takeover of America by accurately identifying the machinegun they're about to get massacred with

So basically just the Calibre Obscura guy

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pleasant Hell really is an incredible book. so is Ames’ Going Postal. if someone had to read only two books about America it’d be hard to do better

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Paladin posted:

"John gets a job at the glass factory" was my favorite part, but there are a lot of great moments.

mine is when he realized his perpetually unwashed karate uniform was growing mold but iept wearing it, so no one would practice karate with him and he had to do the moves alone lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i joined the rwn commubity fb group, seems pretty good

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sad to hear that Yahoo took away John's favorite comment threads :(

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

i joined the rwn commubity fb group, seems pretty good

it's very cspam, including having long fights over China

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm not on the fan page but i'm friends with gary brecher and sometimes john asks questions. the followers on that account are extremely knowledgeable, especially from a non-american perspective

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there an episode about unlikely great generals and conquerors? Those who were lame, ugly, overweight or such and went on to build or expand empires? I think I remember a preview but can't place the episode.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
It might have been the episode about Genghis, since he was pretty "self-made" as conquerors go and I remember them commenting on that at length. And I think they talked about the Ethiopian general in India who was bought as a slave. Not sure if they ever talked about Al-Saffar but he comes alot in these kinds of discussions because he's usually described as a blacksmith (he was also an ayyar which is pretty relevant to becoming a warlord).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

timur lenk was also famously lame, no?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

hell yes dolan and ames talking UFOs is that pure vibe you need rn

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that tom delonge's organization was possibly taken seriously in order to spur the MIC is mind-blowing lol

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i read the articles linked in the ep description too, i'm definitely convinced that whatever "this" is, be it a secret tech program or aliens, its legit, as in, these objects really were there. content to marvel at the footage for now. i hope they are visitors ofc.

one thing i find quite interesting is the mention that the tic tac performed a corkscrew manoeuvre in response to the airforce pilot doing the same. so maybe they are quite friendly if they are visitors.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

altho it could all just be some psyop cobducted for unfathomable deep state reasons, who knows

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There was also the episode (116 I think?) about Yi Sun-sin, the Korean admiral who won major victories against the Japanese despite never having been on a ship, or knowing anything about naval warfare.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I bet these UFOs are regular planes, weather balloons and the like. People put too much faith in military hardware and personnel. It seems reasonable to conclude that experienced pilots and sophisticated military hardware cannot make such mistakes but it happens all the time. Perspective and optical illusions can fool the best humans. Radar can glitch. Objects can look very different in infrared versus visible light. People have crashed jets because they didn't know they were flying upside down.

In the Nimitz incident you have accounts from multiple sources of something bizarre happening. But it should be noted that these sources don't show the same event happening at the same time. They show different events happening at around the same time that also happen to be very strange. It seems unlikely that this could be a coincidence. But consider the vast amount of people flying, and cameras and radar in use then coincidences like these are more likely to occur. We never hear about all the times fighters get scrambled because of a radar blip and just sees a flock of birds.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think i posted my theory in another thread about that, but i think it's a clever "viral marketing" campaign for navy recruitment given the pilot shortage and demand for cyber / computer warriors and no easy way to market that except to sell a dream that isn't going down with all hands after a chinese DF-1D missile attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNsvgbpLMnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q7fxXKpu1E

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
like the blink-182 guy is involved in this? this is hollywood, entertainment stuff. it's probably too clever for the u.s. military to come up with, but maybe not too clever for whatever high-priced consultant firm the pentagon hired to develop their new-age recruitment strategies.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FacelessVoid posted:

I bet these UFOs are regular planes, weather balloons and the like. People put too much faith in military hardware and personnel. It seems reasonable to conclude that experienced pilots and sophisticated military hardware cannot make such mistakes but it happens all the time. Perspective and optical illusions can fool the best humans. Radar can glitch. Objects can look very different in infrared versus visible light. People have crashed jets because they didn't know they were flying upside down.

In the Nimitz incident you have accounts from multiple sources of something bizarre happening. But it should be noted that these sources don't show the same event happening at the same time. They show different events happening at around the same time that also happen to be very strange. It seems unlikely that this could be a coincidence. But consider the vast amount of people flying, and cameras and radar in use then coincidences like these are more likely to occur. We never hear about all the times fighters get scrambled because of a radar blip and just sees a flock of birds.

we don't really think about it today, but remember the time before drones? that anyone would be flying something the size of a golf cart at people?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

like the blink-182 guy is involved in this? this is hollywood, entertainment stuff. it's probably too clever for the u.s. military to come up with, but maybe not too clever for whatever high-priced consultant firm the pentagon hired to develop their new-age recruitment strategies.

this sounds like part of the plot of a william gibson book

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Finicums Wake posted:

this sounds like part of the plot of a william gibson book
if you looked around at events happening today, and asked yourself "does this sound like the plot of a 1950s asimov novel or a 1980s gibson novel?" you should bet on the gibson novel

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Personally speaking it reminds me more of a certain 90s film, that was perhaps a bit TOO prescient of our contemporary era...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The people reporting contact with UFO are the same people who reported NVA in the Gulf of Tonkin