Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Empire establishes that the Falcon cannot outrun Star Destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Han's other boast is about the Falcon making "point 5 past light speed" which the old EU always took to mean it had a great hyperdrive.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alchenar posted:

Empire establishes that the Falcon cannot outrun Star Destroyers.

A New Hope also establishes this.

The Falcon is relatively fast - because it’s a literally a small, decades-old cargo boat.

But what we‘re shown in the films is that it’s fairly maneuverable.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Falcon's atmosphere speed is 1500 kph under lando's ownership, and 1050 kph later on, same as T65B/C-model X-Wing models used during the Original trilogy era

TIE Fighters' atmosphere speed is 1200kph
Interceptors are 1250kph
Defenders were 1680kph

Imperial-class Star Destroyers plod around at 975 kph

Which all boils down to "They go as fast as the plot needs them to" for those that don't care about numbers

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm sorry, but the psychopath woman who raised the SSD rose to the top of the Empire by sleeping with the Emperor, the psychopath woman who did the same by sleeping with Tarkin was an entirely different one.

Wait, gently caress, am I mixing up Daala and Isard?

Really hosed up, then, that the old EU had the two most powerful women in the Empire having gotten to that point by sleeping their way to the top.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 30, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Falcon's atmosphere speed is 1500 kph under lando's ownership, and 1050 kph later on, same as T65B/C-model X-Wing models used during the Original trilogy era

TIE Fighters' atmosphere speed is 1200kph
Interceptors are 1250kph
Defenders were 1680kph

Imperial-class Star Destroyers plod around at 975 kph

Not for nothing, but posts like this really don’t belong in Star Wars lore. The “science” was never intended to make any sense. It’s why literal wizards were included in the very first movie. This is just a bunch of nonsense that my eyes just breeze over. You could have made all of this up, I don’t know and I don’t care. I am never going to check.

Vinylshadow posted:

Which all boils down to "They go as fast as the plot needs them to" for those that don't care about numbers

This, however, is spot on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Not for nothing, but posts like this really don’t belong in Star Wars lore. The “science” was never intended to make any sense. It’s why literal wizards were included in the very first movie. This is just a bunch of nonsense that my eyes just breeze over. You could have made all of this up, I don’t know and I don’t care. I am never going to check.

At least it pleases both sides of the argument rather than either explaining nothing or over-explaining every little inconsequential detail, 99.95% of which is literally meaningless but it's there for the 0.05% that want it

Leads to some vicious debates, which make for hysterical reading material if you ever need a laugh too, so win-win for everyone

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Lucas referred to parsecs unintentionally he surely would gave corrected it in subsequent editions, in the same way he corrected Han shooting first or leaving out Greedo's catchphrase.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

all im asking for is a reintegration of exactly enough old eu to make rey's dad canonically trioculus

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 30, 2020

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bring back Triclops as well imo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Okay, see, now both of those I’m for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've made the commitment during these Covid Times to rewatch all of the Star Wars in order. Right now I made it barely through Episode 1 and I'm now trudging through Episode 2.

The CGI in this has not aged well at all.

Other than the bad CGI they're not that god awful.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Episode 2 and 3 own you are in the sweet spot of the whole series

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
All this talk of TIE speeds and prices and such is drawing on EU sources that don't really match up to what we see on screen. If we go solely by what we see in the movies we get a much different view of various ships capabilities. The EU for instance made decided the TIE was a cheap-rear end fighter designed to be faster and more maneuverable than anything else at the cost of shield. What we see in the movies however is a ship matched in all capabilities by the X-Wing, a ship that has shields yet blows up from the same things that would kill TIE's, implying the TIE too might have shields. And the only thing we can really infer about how many the Empire fields is that of course the reigning government can field more craft than a guerrilla group. Everyone "knows" the TIE Interceptor has four lasers on the end of its pointy bits, despite the fact that in RotJ it fires from the two cannons right there on the model in the exact location as the standard TIE. Popular culture remembers Luke and Wedge as the leaders of "Rogue Squadron" but in fact the only time they don't fly as Red Squadron is a single flight of Snowspeeders called "Rogue Group" of whom almost all die.

I will say though that the Millennium Falcon seems to change drastically between ESB and RotJ. In the first two TIEs outrun it easily and it's only weapons are the equivalent to two door guns. It's only actually fast with its Hyperdrive, and that thing barely works. Then you get to RotJ and It can dogfight and outrun top of the line Imperial Craft while having enough firepower to blowup the Death Star Reactor.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

pospysyl posted:

If Lucas referred to parsecs unintentionally he surely would gave corrected it in subsequent editions, in the same way he corrected Han shooting first or leaving out Greedo's catchphrase.
As (ma)clunky as the Han-shooting scenes are, I can't imagine trying to changing English dialog without using Ford let alone an alternative SW universe term to mean "partial seconds".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

The EU for instance made decided the TIE was a cheap-rear end fighter designed to be faster and more maneuverable than anything else at the cost of shield. What we see in the movies however is a ship matched in all capabilities by the X-Wing, a ship that has shields yet blows up from the same things that would kill TIE's, implying the TIE too might have shields.
Do we see TIEs survive a shot? I can't remember.

EDIT: Vader's in ANH does but given its unique design and purpose it's not what I mean.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 31, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you just go by what you see in the movie, Tie fighters are so expensive that the death star only has like a dozen of them on hand at any time to repel an assault

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do we see TIEs survive a shot? I can't remember.
I think some of the shots from the Falcon seem like glancing blows when they're escaping the death star

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

thrawn527 posted:

If I remember correctly, it’s taken from internal speed charts used by Lucasfilm to standardize the movements of models during the battle sequences in RotJ, which were later used in the Star Wars tabletop games and standardized into Km/h instead of the unnnamed units the SFX team used.

And then those numbers got changed because nerds got mad that they weren’t right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

If I remember correctly, it’s taken from internal speed charts used by Lucasfilm to standardize the movements of models during the battle sequences in RotJ, which were later used in the Star Wars tabletop games and standardized into Km/h instead of the unnnamed units the SFX team used.

And then those numbers got changed because nerds got mad that they weren’t right.

All I hear is “banana banana banana”. It’s all nonsense unless it comes up as a plot point.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The Kingfish posted:

The parsec explanation was one of the few pieces of EU gap-filling I thought was actually interesting.

Can you explain it for those of us who didn't care enough to read the EU book that does?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

this man has an illness

ignore everything he speaks of

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Can you explain it for those of us who didn't care enough to read the EU book that does?

the kessel run takes place between a bunch of black holes, and you need to be really good at piloting to be able to fly between them rather than around them. being able to make the run in six parsecs means being extremely really good at flying between them.

it's...dumb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Episode 1 is the best Star Wars film and unfortunately we dont get anything that good again until the second half of Episode 6 but dang what an ending

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

I will say though that the Millennium Falcon seems to change drastically between ESB and RotJ. In the first two TIEs outrun it easily and it's only weapons are the equivalent to two door guns. It's only actually fast with its Hyperdrive, and that thing barely works. Then you get to RotJ and It can dogfight and outrun top of the line Imperial Craft while having enough firepower to blowup the Death Star Reactor.

Obviously, while Han was in carbonite, Lando and Chewie took the opportunity to rip out all his half-assed 'upgrades' and make the ship actually work the way it's supposed to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mameluke posted:

Bring back Triclops as well imo

Sounds like a way to get sued by the He-Man people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

galagazombie posted:

All this talk of TIE speeds and prices and such is drawing on EU sources that don't really match up to what we see on screen. If we go solely by what we see in the movies we get a much different view of various ships capabilities. The EU for instance made decided the TIE was a cheap-rear end fighter designed to be faster and more maneuverable than anything else at the cost of shield. What we see in the movies however is a ship matched in all capabilities by the X-Wing, a ship that has shields yet blows up from the same things that would kill TIE's, implying the TIE too might have shields. And the only thing we can really infer about how many the Empire fields is that of course the reigning government can field more craft than a guerrilla group. Everyone "knows" the TIE Interceptor has four lasers on the end of its pointy bits, despite the fact that in RotJ it fires from the two cannons right there on the model in the exact location as the standard TIE. Popular culture remembers Luke and Wedge as the leaders of "Rogue Squadron" but in fact the only time they don't fly as Red Squadron is a single flight of Snowspeeders called "Rogue Group" of whom almost all die.

Angry Salami posted:

Obviously, while Han was in carbonite, Lando and Chewie took the opportunity to rip out all his half-assed 'upgrades' and make the ship actually work the way it's supposed to.

The funny thing is this is canon in the old EU: the Falcon is being repaired, modified and upgraded so constantly that the Empire has three completely different sensor profiles for it from only a couple of years, which the characters take advantage of to broadcast a decoy signal.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I just took the Falcon turning into effectively a giant fighter for RotJ being the result of it finally having a complete crew :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've kinda come round to the view that some youtube people have, which is that as bad as the prequel trilogy is, at least Lucas is trying to tell a story there that has things you can talk about. The sequel trilogy just has nothing.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Alchenar posted:

I've kinda come round to the view that some youtube people have, which is that as bad as the prequel trilogy is, at least Lucas is trying to tell a story there that has things you can talk about. The sequel trilogy just has nothing.

The prequel trilogy has an interesting story told badly but, yes, there is at least a cohesive narrative.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The prequels and the sequels manage to gently caress up and succeed in pretty distinct ways, there isn't much they both get right or both get wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes a lot of sense considering the sequels are a massive overreaction to the prequels. Maybe the only common theme is that overemphasis on the same characters and families ends up making the setting feel small.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got my 4.5 year old to watch a new hopes beginning and end (hoth and endor proved to be too scary) . He loves it, and has been telling everyone of the adventures of r2d2, the robot who says oh dear and their triumph over breathing mask after blowing up the bad guy ship. Then r2 pulls the xwing out of the swamp with the force! He hasn't been able to figure out how the pod race fits in but he loves replicating that too. The pod race rules

In even better news, c3p0 and r2 visit sesame street is on YouTube

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Finishing the Kessel run within X parsecs refers to how close your ship flies to a large black hole located near the system. I think it’s cool.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

Finishing the Kessel run within X parsecs refers to how close your ship flies to a large black hole located near the system. I think it’s cool.

i'm not generally a fan of ex-post facto justications and canonizing every word the OT characters said, but yeah, this one actually works imo

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

I got my 4.5 year old to watch a new hopes beginning and end (hoth and endor proved to be too scary)

What the gently caress?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Knights of Ren never said "I bid you dark greetings"

0/10 throw it all away

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is this is canon in the old EU: the Falcon is being repaired, modified and upgraded so constantly that the Empire has three completely different sensor profiles for it from only a couple of years, which the characters take advantage of to broadcast a decoy signal.

I actually really like this explanation, because it fits in so well with the movies. The Falcon is a pretty blatant homage to 50's/60's car culture and it's love of post purchase modifications. Han treats it just like the stereotypical muscle car owner would their tricked out ride. And we see him constantly tinkering with it and attempting to install mods of dubious worth. It makes a lot of sense that prior to the big battle to decide the fate of the Galaxy the Rebels would stuff in the most tricked out engine they could find and bolt on every cannon and missile its frame could fit.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

euphronius posted:

III/RO/IV/V is the sweet spot.

Barudak posted:

Episode 1 is the best Star Wars film and unfortunately we dont get anything that good again until the second half of Episode 6 but dang what an ending

That's enough bad takes for one day.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I've finished 1/3 of the Star Wars Trilogy. The Question really is do I go with chronological order and watch Rogue One then move onto the original 3.

Super suprised how much I enjoyed Episode 3. Despite its serious flaws with bad bad bad CGI, the ending fight with Obi Wan and Anakin is surprisingly good. Also kind of horrific for a PG 13 movie at what happens to Anakin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'd keep it chronological and go with Rogue One next.

There's also Solo but you're really not missing anything by skipping it.