Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

e: The Intel 487 series Microprocessor is a lot less famous than the one that came before it.

Probably because it was really a 486DX anyway :shobon:

Edit: 1488 is the bad number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

peanut- posted:

TrueAnon is a fun podcast but please don't take it all that seriously.

i don't quite know what this means other than possessing basic knowledge of london's economy and how it functions makes someone a podcast listener, or something?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh just gently caress off you smug oval office. You know *exactly* what I'm saying, get hosed.

The Deleter posted:

gently caress off oval office

literally insane and ridiculous responses to the mildest possible take, which is that london has only achieved the status it has in this country and europe more generally because it's used as a laundering front for dark money thanks to its appalling financial system and complete lack of government oversight. glad to see the marxists in the marxist thread coming out to argue so passionately for a city run for the benefit of tories and arms dealers and literally nobody else, though. congratulations, you are all going to hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/garyraikes2/status/1299959544865591296?s=20
https://twitter.com/BryceElder/status/1300028379022884864?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lol:
https://twitter.com/davesleney/status/1300137153557671939
https://twitter.com/davesleney/status/1300180086189158400

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh good, the British Union of Fascists are here to... IDEK what is it fascists do again?

Oh right yeah get their faces loving kicked in.

E: they are getting loving dunked on in the replies though.

But good lord really?

gently caress's sake twitter was a mistake. He's literally a loving fascist, openly and happily, and twitter's just like... sure. Be a fascist on our site.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Which disabled the actual CPU when installed in a 486 so they could sell it as a coprocessor or something similarly silly iirc, unlike the unlike the original x87s that were genuine coprocessors and nothing else.

There was not enough x86 chat on page 486.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

literally insane and ridiculous responses to the mildest possible take, which is that london has only achieved the status it has in this country and europe more generally because it's used as a laundering front for dark money thanks to its appalling financial system and complete lack of government oversight. glad to see the marxists in the marxist thread coming out to argue so passionately for a city run for the benefit of tories and arms dealers and literally nobody else, though. congratulations, you are all going to hell.

That's definitely what people are doing and taking issue with rather than your persistent refusal to communicate properly even when it is clearly annoying everyone.

Twisto that looks like another excellent informationpost and I will read it when my brain stands half a chance of taking in any of it properly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

persistent refusal to communicate properly even when it is clearly annoying everyone.

I dont think this kind of thing should be frowned upon.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

There was a LOT of suspicion about this at the time from the queer circles I'm in on Facebook, and a lot of people were varying between a little concerned and absolutely terrified that this would erase the meaning of the rainbow flag from public life - and I can understand the terror, to be honest, especially as it wasn't just 'kids drawing rainbows' at the highest points of it, it was people buying literal pride flags and hanging them 'for the NHS'. And that means that the pride flag becomes less reliable as a way for queer people to find venues that we can be a little more sure of being accepted in.

Thankfully it seems to have mostly gone away now, and the pride flag is still the pride flag.

Thanks. Glad (in a way) that it wasn't just something I cynic-ed up but it's a shame that people were genuinely worried/terrified at the possibility - but the bolded bit is good.

But it honestly wouldn't surprise me to find there was an ulterior motive to it.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's the kind of thing that would sound like conspiratorial horseshit, it being a planned ulterior motive to devalue the rainbow flag, if I wasn't such a complete cynic about literally everything at the moment when it comes to poo poo the right wing will do to wage culture war.

:same:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're either being deliberately obtuse to troll or you're just a loving idiot.

I mean, his rap sheet is eight pages long. Just saying.

Edit: my bad. Still trolling tho

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 30, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Its 8 things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Are you looking at the same person?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
8 pages loving hell. Didn't he only join last year?

Edit: *phew*

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Communist Thoughts posted:

anyone know any good books or media about this?

Treasure Islands by Shaxson is a really good, very accessible book about how colonialism never actually ended, the capital streams were just diverted into finance, and it's written for a layperson to be able to understand. Would absolutely recommend it for anyone who sort-of-knows that The City Of London is one of the top ten most currently active evil institutions in human history but would like a few concrete arguments why to have in their back pocket.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

That's definitely what people are doing and taking issue with rather than your persistent refusal to communicate properly even when it is clearly annoying everyone.

what are you talking about? how am i "refusing to communicate"? i've stated my position and i've politely and patiently offered reasons for why i hold this opinion, complete with a citation by a renowned antimafia investigative journalist who has spent decades chasing the money and business links, lives under 24 hour guard in part because of what he knows about london, and isn't prone to hysterical overstatement. in response i got a load of angry babble about how saying london relies on dark money to function makes me the same as "flag shaggers" "in the north", that i somehow hate "the working class" of london because of this, and that i should "listen to true anon", or something? my patience has been exhausted here because people who clearly haven't bothered to do any reading about london's role in the global financial system don't like being told that they have been misled by callous dipshits into believing that the city is some kind of bastion of progressive politics. i even reassured our angry friend that he/she/they wasn't/weren't at fault for any of this, yet they keep shrieking at me anyway.

boris johnson served 2 terms as mayor and the met police has (have?) no jurisdiction in the City for a reason. that reason, once again, is because london is nothing more than a washing machine for the profits of organized crime, and normal people just happen to live there because they need someone to keep the machine in good nick. this is not controversial, and any self-described "leftist" should be able to grasp this quite easily. astounded we are at the stage where C bombs are being deployed to protect london's honour ffs. get a grip.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

for a poundshop pissflaps, I'll give you 6/10 for effort

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

i really truly don't understand why critiquing london's economic system and the exploitation that keeps it afloat is considered trolling in 2020, but have fun!

edit: actually, it's probably precisely *because* it's 2020 that we're now defending the integrity of london, so...have fun!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

i really truly don't understand why critiquing london's economic system and the exploitation that keeps it afloat is considered trolling in 2020, but have fun!

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the 'purpose' of Manchester is? Or Sheffield?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

what are you talking about? how am i "refusing to communicate"? i've stated my position and i've politely and patiently offered reasons for why i hold this opinion, complete with a citation by a renowned antimafia investigative journalist who has spent decades chasing the money and business links, lives under 24 hour guard in part because of what he knows about london, and isn't prone to hysterical overstatement. in response i got a load of angry babble about how saying london relies on dark money to function makes me the same as "flag shaggers" "in the north", that i somehow hate "the working class" of london because of this, and that i should "listen to true anon", or something? my patience has been exhausted here because people who clearly haven't bothered to do any reading about london's role in the global financial system don't like being told that they have been misled by callous dipshits into believing that the city is some kind of bastion of progressive politics. i even reassured our angry friend that he/she/they wasn't/weren't at fault for any of this, yet they keep shrieking at me anyway.

boris johnson served 2 terms as mayor and the met police has (have?) no jurisdiction in the City for a reason. that reason, once again, is because london is nothing more than a washing machine for the profits of organized crime, and normal people just happen to live there because they need someone to keep the machine in good nick. this is not controversial, and any self-described "leftist" should be able to grasp this quite easily. astounded we are at the stage where C bombs are being deployed to protect london's honour ffs. get a grip.

So your talking about that tiny little bit in the middle then? Cos to people that live in the rest of london and are quite old and have family memories that they maybe tie their identity to in some ways, it could probably be quite upsetting to be told that a big factor in who you characterise yourself as is bullshit. So then going oh but dont worry i dont blame you for being bad and thick might result in them telling you to gently caress off.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

feedmegin posted:

it's genuinely not trolling, the talk was about london so i mildly ventured that london was just a massive front for organized crime. which it is. yeah it sounds hyperbolic but actually look into the economics and the way money flows around the city and the property/investment scene. it's obvious immediately what's going on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the 'purpose' of Manchester is? Or Sheffield?

manchester: arrogant scally poo poo musicians
sheffield: spoons and hills

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

Everyone in the thread is perfectly aware of the role that london plays in capitalism, the gist if not the specifics, but you repeatedly saying how much you hate london and then clarifying "oh no sorry I don't mean london I mean these specific bits of it but also gently caress london" when people live there and are taking it personally, perhaps the person with the communication problem is you, not everybody else?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So your talking about that tiny little bit in the middle then? Cos to people that live in the rest of london and are quite old and have family memories that they maybe tie their identity to in some ways, it could probably be quite upsetting to be told that a big factor in who you characterise yourself as is bullshit. So then going oh but dont worry i dont blame you for being bad and thick might result in them telling you to gently caress off.

these people are all being pushed out of the city by the exact organized crime groups and the political scumbags they own that i am talking about, i'm pretty sure most of them would be in agreement with me that london isn't really theirs anymore. and yeah it isn't their fault, what the gently caress are you talking about? when have i said they are to blame for what's happened to london? they're as at the mercy of these forces as anyone else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Edit: 1488 is the bad number.

Wasn't the 487 the coprocessor? I'm sure one of my mates had one and wouldn't stop lording it over everyone even though it made literally no difference to how well X-Wing played.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

these people are all being pushed out of the city by the exact organized crime groups and the political scumbags they own that i am talking about, i'm pretty sure most of them would be in agreement with me that london isn't really theirs anymore. and yeah it isn't their fault, what the gently caress are you talking about? when have i said they are to blame for what's happened to london? they're as at the mercy of these forces as anyone else.

the city or the CIty? I dont understand.

oh. that feels like an odd probation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh just gently caress off you smug oval office. You know *exactly* what I'm saying, get hosed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mods do you even loving read posts before you jam your dick into the button in an orgasmic rush to feel some brief moment of joy in your lives? Pretty sure the dude who just wrote a massive effortpost is not the one white noise posting atm.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Oh bugger off, for my sins I'm familiarly bound to London, couldn't live anywhere else and I do love it but pointing out correctly that's it's a cesspit of rank capitalism is not bad posts.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you value your identity as 'a londoner' so highly that you can't acknowledge ghostpinballas point that the structural role of a city =/= an insult on the working class people who live in that city then this is you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqSkPtx2iA stop being so precious/disingenuous

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone in the thread is perfectly aware of the role that london plays in capitalism, the gist if not the specifics, but you repeatedly saying how much you hate london and then clarifying "oh no sorry I don't mean london I mean these specific bits of it but also gently caress london" when people live there and are taking it personally, perhaps the person with the communication problem is you, not everybody else?

i didn't once say i hate london, i also have not modified my original statement, because it is true. i don't exactly relish the idea that our capital is just an organized crime front, you know? and no, that isn't the fault of ordinary w/c people there, and i have not once dunked on anybody outside the financial elites who live in london. i have in fact expressed sympathy for what's been happening to their city multiple times, and highlighted how speculators even turn tragedies like grenfell into another excuse to socially cleanse the city and pave over more of what made it a community. it is remarkable how you are conjuring all of this out of the ether, but i'll be god damned if people are going to try and pretend that's what i'm saying just because they're feeling territorial when i accurately say the whole city is ruled by gangster capitalists. gently caress that mate, i really enjoy your posts and i've learned a lot from them but sorry, you're on a hiding to nothing here. think i'm gonna just stop posting itt for a while (feel free to quote and say "thank gently caress" or whatever) because with all the love in the world, this is just going nowhere now and obviously it's just making GBS threads up this (excellent and informative) thread at this point.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Mods do you even loving read posts before you jam your dick into the button in an orgasmic rush to feel some brief moment of joy in your lives? Pretty sure the dude who just wrote a massive effortpost is not the one white noise posting atm.

yeah this is bullshit, no need for a probe here i was fine with twisto's post, this isn't my first rodeo ffs.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 30, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I do actually hate london. God. Theres no such place as far as I can tell. London is travel, just constantly moving and wondering, a lot of FOMO.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i appreciated the london hate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wasn't the 487 the coprocessor? I'm sure one of my mates had one and wouldn't stop lording it over everyone even though it made literally no difference to how well X-Wing played.
It was the coprocessor, but it also contained a full 486 CPU and would afaik shut off the main 486 CPU to take over full functionality and so was really a strange CPU, unlike earlier x87s, which were just the floating point units.

And that's a weird rear end 6er and I've no idea who reported it if the original poster didn't care.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

that is orthodox Marxist patter on enclosures as an urbanization push factor... the question arises as to whether labour's quality of life actually decreased as urban migration accelerated under industrialization. Over time the debate has shifted in the opposite direction, especially since the 1980s - not only did real wages fail to decrease, and fail to even stagnate, across the 'long 19th century' all three of real wages, nutrition, and life expectancies all increased as industrialization set in. So urbanization as a pull factor is probably more salient

how relevant this is to political changes in the 1980s/1990s/2000s is another question of course

the question arises as to whether there's more to quality of life than wages, nutrition and life expectancy

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

SA is better than most but still proves the rule that there has never been a good mod. That wasn't white noise posting in the slightest and the UKMT allows much more tedious actual white noise posting all the time anyway, mods need to calm themselves.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

the question arises as to whether there's more to quality of life than wages, nutrition and life expectancy

What car you've got, how big the (main) telly is, and where your next holiday is to.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

my post was clearly discussing london as an economic hub kept afloat by money laundering for organized crime, which puts something of a dent in grand talk of its positive aspects yes but is necessary context. i said nothing at all about the normal people who live there. there is no need to lash out like this due to some sense of shame, i don't hold you or any other ordinary londoner responsible for the undeniable fact that it is a gigantic washing machine for blood money, "the most corrupt financial power in the world", as described by investigative journalist roberto saviano and proven in multiple investigations by e.g. antimafia prosecutors.

none of that is on you friend. it is not your fault. it is not your fault.

“When I said ‘your mum’ I was obviously referring to the stereotypical role that female parents are forced into by the patriarchy, and the lack of respect given to child rearing by capitalist forces, something we should all be contemplating very seriously. And you really shouldn’t consider yourself responsible in any way for your mother’s own libertine sexual lifestyle.”

London has existed in one form or the other for literally thousands of years, and it’s primary purpose is housing 9 million people, who at the last election fairly overwhelmingly voted for a government led by Jeremy Corbyn (a London MP), the only region in the country to do so. God knows financial crimes go on here, mainly in an area of a single square mile, home to almost no one. But capitalism happens everywhere, and if it wasn’t London, it would be somewhere else. Meanwhile, Londoners are often the most acute victims of these crimes, as the events at Grenfell Tower, for one example, show.

E: Also, free Twisto, jesus that’s some low-quality modding.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

feedmegin posted:

better not look at mine then

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, people will find out how you prepare chicken.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Deleter posted:

gently caress off oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why is a dumb Yank mod touching this thread? Calling bad posters cunts is a time-tested UKMT tradition. We have our own IK who does plenty of keeping the thread nicely chill when it needs to be, go away. Calling Twisto a white noise poster, what utter bollocks.

Anyway https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1300207833552687104?s=20

Shocked to see Maajid Nawaz carrying water for far right. loving terrific that we endure years of Labour being accused of tolerating anti-semitism while we just go normalising CULTURAL MARXISM which is less an anti-semitic dogwhistle as it is foghorn. "Oh, it just means the Frankfurt School", mate, what's more likely? loving Nigel Farage having read Marcuse & Adorno & Benjamin et al, or him aping the rhetoric of Adolf Hitler's screeching about Cultural Bolshevism but through a US lens of Pat Buchanan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Some atrocious modding. Just terrible. I thought the whole point of having Guava as IK was to keep an eye and judge minor poo poo like this.