Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was curious what happened to that 20-foot high wall of water because it didn't seem to happen but apparently it did

quote:

The highest surge hit about 15 miles east of where Laura was forecast to make landfall but it “wobbled” at the last moment. That slight change likely saved the city of Lake Charles, said Jamie Rhome, head of the storm surge team at the National Hurricane Center (NHC).

Most U.S. media played up a nine-foot surge recorded by a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration observation station near Cameron, Louisiana, and the NHC was criticized for perhaps raising too much alarm.

There is just one problem, Rhome said.

“It’s wrong. That reporting is based off a single observation station in Cameron Parish that didn’t come close to measuring the peak storm surge which occurred at 10 or 15 miles east of there,” he said.

Fresh data on Friday from an Army Corps of Engineer gauge 15 miles east indicates that the storm surge was right at the 15- to 20-feet forecast that was Rhome’s highest in his 20-year career, he said.

An exact reading would soon be released after the data and gauge are fully analyzed, Rhome said.

“We’re finding out the storm surge was really 15 to 20 feet,” Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards confirmed to reporters on Friday after flying over the hardest-hit areas.

feel bad for everybody affected but it looks like this could have been a whole lot worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lake Charles spared by an unforseen and incredibly lucky wobble, drat.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Mayor Nic Hunter cautioned that there was no timetable for restoring electricity and that water-treatment plants “took a beating,” leaving barely a trickle of water coming out of most faucets. “If you come back to Lake Charles to stay, make sure you understand the above reality and are prepared to live in it for many days, probably weeks,” Hunter wrote on Facebook.

The Louisiana Department of Health estimated that more than 220,000 people were without water. Restoration of those services could take weeks or months, and full rebuilding could take years.

Forty nursing homes were relying on generators, and assessments were underway to determine if more than 860 residents in 11 facilities that had been evacuated could return.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
jesus christ weeks to get water back

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are they seriously going to "fully rebuild" instead of just permanent rehousing? yes of course they are

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
gotta love all those “total nothingburger” hot takes from a few days ago.

now the plight of these poor people can be relegated to the dustbin of the 24 hour news cycle.
fuckin 2020.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

now the plight of these poor people can be relegated to the dustbin of the 24 hour news cycle.
fuckin 2020.

Please spare a thought for poor Marco, the little hurricane that couldn't.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

what the gently caress are these people doing with their generators, running them inside the house?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

what the gently caress are these people doing with their generators, running them inside the house?
Yup, or the garage. Happens after every storm.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
whens the next hypercane I’m bored again

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

It's always in the garage with a double ended male plug jammed into whatever wall outlet in the garage hopefully is on the same rail in the breaker box as the refrigerator. About half the time they at least have the courtesy to trip the main breaker so they don't kill a lineman when they come to try to fix the power.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Koirhor posted:

whens the next hypercane I’m bored again

'cane season doesn't peak for another few weeks

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Paradoxish posted:

I believe putting them just outside a window is a less-obvious way to achieve the same outcome. The window gets left open to run the power cord into the house, while the other windows stay closed to keep the heat and mosquitos out.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the support structure under this blue building definitely wasnt cheap

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bulgakov posted:

the support structure under this blue building definitely wasnt cheap

That looks like a reliable support structure and I'd be happy to live there if it was in a completely different part of the country with completely different weather patterns and sociopolitical demography.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SpaceCadetBob posted:

fuckin 2020.

this is basic weather thread terminology. a hurricane is a nothingburger if it doesn't utterly destroy a major city

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

actionjackson posted:

are they seriously going to "fully rebuild" instead of just permanent rehousing? yes of course they are

You're letting the hurricanes win if you don't return your house to the beach.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Salt Fish posted:

You're letting the hurricanes win if you don't return your house to the beach.

We're pretty much at the point where hurricane rebuilding projects are going to get wiped out by new hurricanes before they're ever completed

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

We're pretty much at the point where hurricane rebuilding projects are going to get wiped out by new hurricanes before they're ever completed

Jobs?!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

tater_salad posted:

Americans are dumb.

No I'm doesn't!

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1300139110988832768?s=21

oh yay let’s go

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Gotta love how humanity enabled/fostetered a second Atlantic storm nursery off the Georgia/Carolina coasts in less than 200 years of industrialization. :golfclap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's not looking like either of those are a threat to the US

The Caribbean one's modeling has it just staying west and going into Central America

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gotta love how humanity enabled/fostetered a second Atlantic storm nursery off the Georgia/Carolina coasts in less than 200 years of industrialization. :golfclap:

yeah that's what the third one this year?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not looking like either of those are a threat to the US

The Caribbean one's modeling has it just staying west and going into Central America

people live in central america tho

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think they are expecting it to become a hurricane or anything

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm going to become a hurricane.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

hot wet and furious

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

i bet you cant even get up to 75 mph sustained winds b*tch

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

El Burbo posted:

i bet you cant even get up to 75 mph sustained winds b*tch

Your mom can. :smug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I fear any storm named Omar.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
ideally, the one off florida will strengthen into a cat 5 then swing into nyc

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
on the one hand I live in florida so i'm worried about hurricanes every year

on the other hand i live in florida so there's always the promise of the sweet release of death

so conflicted

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Just rebuild what was lost, no one goes back, and you get to do it again after the next hurricane, forever!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wet rear end Pressue

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

entering September.... time to white knuckle it for another month baby!

https://twitter.com/FOX8NOLA/status/1300382243265929216?s=19

Thesaurus has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Aug 31, 2020

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/NOAASatellitePA/status/1300460029594800128?s=19

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

looks like blood in the water

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a Magic Wand is forming off of the coast of Africa

hopefully it runs out of cord before it reaches the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

a Magic Wand is forming off of the coast of Africa

hopefully it runs out of cord before it reaches the US.

It's aimed right for our dangly bits!