Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Shiiiit. The trim levels they have make the base very lackluster and barren. I mean, you have to go the the highest trim to get the sound system and 2nd from the top to get LED headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

obi_ant posted:

Shiiiit. The trim levels they have make the base very lackluster and barren. I mean, you have to go the the highest trim to get the sound system and 2nd from the top to get LED headlights.

I don't know what engine options are for the Atlas, but I think they get the VR6, right? Same VR6 that's in my '06 Passat and that thing loving rips.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nice I just got one of these yesterday but haven't installed it yet

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

Nice I just got one of these yesterday but haven't installed it yet

For my install, I didn't mess with the dash at all. Just 12v from battery, ground and +/- from the rear speaker wire in the b pillar. Pretty easy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's a subwoofer right? If you've tied it into the rear speaker signal how do you adjust crossover so it's getting the lower notes that are usually not going to speakers? And how do you adjust fade without changing the sub volume or increase the sub level without getting lovely bass from the rest of the speakers?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

flightless greeb posted:

You all should have bought sportwagens instead of tiguans and I'm mad that you didn't!!!

I'm pretty sure 90% of US golf wagon production is located within a 3 mile radius of me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

I'm pretty sure 90% of US golf wagon production is located within a 3 mile radius of me.

Nah it's super funny pockets. They're all over Ann Arbor, for instance.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Residency Evil posted:

Not anymore!

:smith:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

That's a subwoofer right? If you've tied it into the rear speaker signal how do you adjust crossover so it's getting the lower notes that are usually not going to speakers? And how do you adjust fade without changing the sub volume or increase the sub level without getting lovely bass from the rest of the speakers?

That model has a built in amp and crossover. And powers off itself 30 seconds after not getting a signal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Withnail posted:

That model has a built in amp and crossover. And powers off itself 30 seconds after not getting a signal.

Sure but if it's getting a rear speaker signal to start with you won't be able to trim the bass out of the speakers (because now you have a dedicated subwoofer) without effecting the sub function right? Seems like it's worth wiring it to the head unit if it's possible but I guess I could be being pretty anal about this.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Sure but if it's getting a rear speaker signal to start with you won't be able to trim the bass out of the speakers (because now you have a dedicated subwoofer) without effecting the sub function right? Seems like it's worth wiring it to the head unit if it's possible but I guess I could be being pretty anal about this.

It would be worth doing that if it’s an aftermarket stereo, but if it’s a factory system, getting behind the head unit isn’t going to make a difference.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I have an aftermarket head unit with a hpf for the speakers and a dedicated sub output so I'm going to use them for sure. Unfortunately I got it mostly done and can't find the drat harness with the sub output/aux in/out and all that. I also couldn't find it on eBay or Amazon even though it's a fairly common Jensen part. I started to get worried then found it in a kit for upgrading to a touchscreen in a motorhome from some RV place in Missouri for $40. I'm sure I'll find it soon once it gets here

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How have the common rail diesels held up? Anything major besides the HPFP grenading when it gets bad fuel? Any issues from the VW emissions redo? I'm probably going to be making a 700 mile each way trip to see someone pretty regularly and while my M3 just soaks up the miles I'd rather not put those miles on it. I had a 13 Golf TDI for 4 years and around 90k miles so I have experience with the cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

How have the common rail diesels held up? Anything major besides the HPFP grenading when it gets bad fuel? Any issues from the VW emissions redo? I'm probably going to be making a 700 mile each way trip to see someone pretty regularly and while my M3 just soaks up the miles I'd rather not put those miles on it. I had a 13 Golf TDI for 4 years and around 90k miles so I have experience with the cars.

The only complaints I've heard or seen is from the NOx sensors wearing out faster than expected post fix.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

The only complaints I've heard or seen is from the NOx sensors wearing out faster than expected post fix.

That's going to be covered under the extended warranty though, correct?

I'd prefer another Golf or a sportwagen but the prices on Jetta's and Passat's are way lower for cars with similar mileage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

That's going to be covered under the extended warranty though, correct?

I'd prefer another Golf or a sportwagen but the prices on Jetta's and Passat's are way lower for cars with similar mileage.

Yup, that's covered.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm about to replace the Skodas Octavia I've been leasing for the past couple of years. It's been perfectly nice and serviceable, especially for the price, but I'm thinking of going for something a bit nicer, and with a bit more ground clerance. My main candidates right now are either a Skoda Superb Scout, that I can fill with a bunch of options, or an Audi A4 Allroad, that would be a bit more bare, but still with everything I need. What would the advantage of the Audi be, besides a little more horsepower (204 vs 190). I assume handling and noise levels? It would be a lease, so reliability and service costs isn't a major concern. The Skoda Kodiaq is also an option, but it's a bit bigger than I really need.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dumb question on my B7 A4 that's getting long in the tooth. Some times on start up, it's very, very rough and doesn't quite start — accompanied with the engine temp gauge jumping right up to 50% in the middle and staying put there. I thought this might have been an exhaust thing / not getting enough backpressure, but maybe misreported coolant temp / engine temp is having the ECU operate on bad data.

Other times on start up, it's smooth, instant and engine temp starts on "C" and slowly heads up to the middle. I thought it was related to "duration", i.e. after a single rough start and driving, it would be fine, but it seems to be independent — car has sat for days and not exhibited the issue, but then has also sat for days and exhibited the same problem.

Should I just replace the sensor (or unseat it, check for corrosion / wire terminals), or is something more insiduous at work? Engine is north of 150K miles and seems to have a slow oil + coolant leak in action, judging from the contents of my garage floor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

I'm about to replace the Skodas Octavia I've been leasing for the past couple of years. It's been perfectly nice and serviceable, especially for the price, but I'm thinking of going for something a bit nicer, and with a bit more ground clerance. My main candidates right now are either a Skoda Superb Scout, that I can fill with a bunch of options, or an Audi A4 Allroad, that would be a bit more bare, but still with everything I need. What would the advantage of the Audi be, besides a little more horsepower (204 vs 190). I assume handling and noise levels? It would be a lease, so reliability and service costs isn't a major concern. The Skoda Kodiaq is also an option, but it's a bit bigger than I really need.

If you're on a lease and they're both within your cost, test drive em both, and decide if you like premium with low options or mass market with high options. It's more a matter of preference.

I am a fan of Skodas as a value play, but if that isn't important to you, go forth and lease what you prefer. Is there a reason you don't consider any other VAG brands? Sounds like you are in a market that might get SEAT as well.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're on a lease and they're both within your cost, test drive em both, and decide if you like premium with low options or mass market with high options. It's more a matter of preference.

I am a fan of Skodas as a value play, but if that isn't important to you, go forth and lease what you prefer. Is there a reason you don't consider any other VAG brands? Sounds like you are in a market that might get SEAT as well.

Thanks, and yeah, I guess it's necessary to do a test drive to see if the Audi offers something extra, driving wise, that I value. As for Seat, they sadly don't offer a raised wagon of some sort, and I really prefer that to a SUV. My ideal option is actually the Volvo V60 Cross Country, but that is sadly a bit out of my price range with the options I want added. Otherwise the Seat Tarraco is a nice option, priced a bit below even the Skoda Kodiaq overe here. Hell, if I decide to be a bit less responsible the Cupra Ateca seems a lot of fun for the buck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I liked the Ateca I had as a rental, it was the ~150hp EcoDrive. Surprisingly quick, good ergos, nice sight lines.

Do you get the lifted Golf Variant over there? We get it here as the Alltrack. I own it and like it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I liked the Ateca I had as a rental, it was the ~150hp EcoDrive. Surprisingly quick, good ergos, nice sight lines.

Do you get the lifted Golf Variant over there? We get it here as the Alltrack. I own it and like it.

Yep. I like it and would consider it, but right now there are better deals available for the Skoda Superb, and maybe also the Octavia Scout, since a new updated model is around the corner. Both Skoda alternatives are, IMO, more attractive than the Golf. Sthe Octavia is pretty much a larger Golf Alltrack. Interior wise they are pretty much on the same level. Same engine and everything. The Golf might not be more fun to drive though.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

movax posted:

Dumb question on my B7 A4 that's getting long in the tooth. Some times on start up, it's very, very rough and doesn't quite start — accompanied with the engine temp gauge jumping right up to 50% in the middle and staying put there. I thought this might have been an exhaust thing / not getting enough backpressure, but maybe misreported coolant temp / engine temp is having the ECU operate on bad data.

Other times on start up, it's smooth, instant and engine temp starts on "C" and slowly heads up to the middle. I thought it was related to "duration", i.e. after a single rough start and driving, it would be fine, but it seems to be independent — car has sat for days and not exhibited the issue, but then has also sat for days and exhibited the same problem.

Should I just replace the sensor (or unseat it, check for corrosion / wire terminals), or is something more insiduous at work? Engine is north of 150K miles and seems to have a slow oil + coolant leak in action, judging from the contents of my garage floor.

Is it giving any codes?

Using torque/another OBD2 reader to actually see the temperature and if it's obviously off would be handy too

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Is it giving any codes?

Using torque/another OBD2 reader to actually see the temperature and if it's obviously off would be handy too

No codes oddly enough, but good point — I can hook up my VAG-COM and see what engine temp is at on start up.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
My car battery on my 2012 Jetta just died and when looking online about buying one I saw I may need to take it to a dealership to have it done because my keys wont work (keyless entry) because the memory won't be saved or something?. I only saw one thing about it and am not a car guy at all so I don't know how true this is, I've always just installed batteries normally but not on this car yet, and this is my first VW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You should be fine to just replace the battery

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bruc posted:

My car battery on my 2012 Jetta just died and when looking online about buying one I saw I may need to take it to a dealership to have it done because my keys wont work (keyless entry) because the memory won't be saved or something?. I only saw one thing about it and am not a car guy at all so I don't know how true this is, I've always just installed batteries normally but not on this car yet, and this is my first VW.

Just because you said you weren't a car guy, once you replace the battery get your alternator tested or test it yourself to make sure it's not a bad alternator.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Cool, thanks guys.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Note you may get a bunch of dash lights after replacing your battery. Just drive it slow and should be ok. Freaked me out the first time I did it on a Mk6 GTI. Called a VW tech I know from the Advance Auto parking lot after the battery swap and he said just back up in a straight line and then pull forward and it cleared.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Does anyone here happen to know how to turn only the radio on in a '17 Alltrack SEL? We're going to a drive-in movie in a couple days and sound is going through FM, cars have to be off, and as far as I'm aware I have to press the ignition button to get the radio on after 30 minutes, however that turns on a bunch of other stuff.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you shut the accessory power off, the radio should stay powered for a while until someone pops a door open.

I'd see if you can find a one of those portable, rechargeable Bluetooth speakers with a radio tuner included.... I mean, they used to be just called "radios", but those ran off expensive packs of batteries and I'm talking about one that you can charge up with a cell phone charger cable. They're going for less than $20 on Amazon, and then you don't have to worry about a flat battery after running the stereo and accessories for 3 hours

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

NoWake posted:

If you shut the accessory power off, the radio should stay powered for a while until someone pops a door open.

I'd see if you can find a one of those portable, rechargeable Bluetooth speakers with a radio tuner included.... I mean, they used to be just called "radios", but those ran off expensive packs of batteries and I'm talking about one that you can charge up with a cell phone charger cable. They're going for less than $20 on Amazon, and then you don't have to worry about a flat battery after running the stereo and accessories for 3 hours

I thought the radio turns off when you press the start button again (this is assuming the car was already off, and you pressed the start button to turn on electronics only), but I'll do some testing today and see what's up. We're trying to avoid using a portable speaker cause we're seeing Tenet and sorta want the audio system in my car, but we do have a decent bluetooth speaker we can bring along in case I can't figure something out.

e: turns out the radio does stay on, but turns off after ~30 minutes and you have to turn on/off the electronics every 30 minutes. Ended up missing some very important dialog cause the radio would turn off...

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 10, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
alright, I'm gonna DIY the DSG fluid and the VAQ differential soon, are any of the filler tools worth buying for the dsg flush?

i dont have an obd11 or vag-com and i'm not exactly wild about spending the money for it, has anyone done a top fill successfully?

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

2013 Tiguan - Airbag light came on. I have a scanner. This is what it spit out:

Fault 1 : 03083 : Issue in Ignition Limitation Belt Tensioning Driver side (G551)
Fault 2 : 00594 : Issue in Airbag Ignition Circuit

What's the damage?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

B_sketchy posted:

2013 Tiguan - Airbag light came on. I have a scanner. This is what it spit out:

Fault 1 : 03083 : Issue in Ignition Limitation Belt Tensioning Driver side (G551)
Fault 2 : 00594 : Issue in Airbag Ignition Circuit

What's the damage?

I'd reset it and see if it comes back first.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

BraveUlysses posted:

alright, I'm gonna DIY the DSG fluid and the VAQ differential soon, are any of the filler tools worth buying for the dsg flush?

i dont have an obd11 or vag-com and i'm not exactly wild about spending the money for it, has anyone done a top fill successfully?

I did the first time I did the DSG fluid on my Jetta. It's excruciatingly slow. Also since it was my first time doing a DSG fluid change, I was hunched over the engine bay for quite a while watching the fluid slowly go into the transmission. I bought a gravity feed and have used it ever since. My back thanks me.

If you already have a funnel & hose, you can buy just the fill adapter and build your own.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TWBalls posted:

I did the first time I did the DSG fluid on my Jetta. It's excruciatingly slow. Also since it was my first time doing a DSG fluid change, I was hunched over the engine bay for quite a while watching the fluid slowly go into the transmission. I bought a gravity feed and have used it ever since. My back thanks me.

If you already have a funnel & hose, you can buy just the fill adapter and build your own.

did you do the measure and fill to exact amount removed or go through with the "proper" procedure to monitor the trans temp and let the excess flow out?

i was already planning to buy this https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-differential-service-tool-cta-1028 for the VAQ differential flush, and i think that with the adapter you linked, it should be able to work for the dsg as well

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 16, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Power steering oil return line from cooler to steering rack was broken in my S8, and the leaking section was replaced with a piece of hose. It leaked less but still leaked.

Finally it was replaced during this year's maintenance. Line, hollow screw and 2 o rings were like 125€+ power steering fluid 16€, work 1,5 hours = around 250€ total for replacing 1 hose.

At least nothing leaks anymore.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 16, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone know if dealer service shops are a significant profit center for new car dealers?

Doing things 'by the book' including required training and inspection steps tends to be very expensive so I understand why dealer service is expensive, I'm just wondering if there is really significant mark up or just a steady, 8% or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

https://www.nada.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=21474861835 knock yourself out, this is NADA's reporting. it's 12% of revenue and 50% of the profit of the dealership. margins are uh, healthy. gross margin on fixed ops should be running about 50%

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 16, 2020