Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What are the best mods to put on my shotgun? Accuracy and heat sink mods and ammo mods with extra kinetic force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Couldn't you prevent that from happening by being on a ramp or something?

Probably, I never got very good at ME3 multiplayer. I usually either plinked away with my gun, or if I was daring, rolled backwards after every hit and hoping I didn't get unlucky.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Arcsquad12 posted:

What are the best mods to put on my shotgun? Accuracy and heat sink mods and ammo mods with extra kinetic force?

Do you want people to quietly drop dead in place, or do you want them to go flying off into infinity?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its a game with a bonkers physics engine what do you think?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I really wish they had given the krogan vanguard sync kill immunity. Without the ability to dodge they're basically hosed against cerberus and reaper heavies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lag and sync kills kinda ruined playing a vanguard in ME3 multiplayer for me. I wish they'd just release a multiplayer title with an engine that can handle it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think i ever unlocked Krogan vanguard in ME3, but I remember being really disappointed by it in Andromeda. It was somehow not only weaker but also less aesthetically satisfying than the human version. How do you gently caress that up

At least the human ones were fun to play in Andromeda, adding the jetpack and a powerful melee attack really was the icing on the vanguard cake

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I forgot that ME1 has the worst autosave known to man.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arcsquad12 posted:

I forgot that ME1 has the worst autosave known to man.

To this day I still wanna instinctually hit F5 whenever I'm about to enter some kind of facility.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

My favorite bit of ME lore was Buddhist turians

I miss mass effect :sigh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eastbound Spider posted:

My favorite bit of ME lore was Buddhist turians

I miss mass effect :sigh:

they really should just give the license to a competent dev, and announce a remaster and ME4 on the same day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ME1 has a really weak soundscape but I do love the subtle reverb they added to character voices during dialogue scenes. Really makes Rex and Garry pop whenever they talk.

Also the Quarians are totally the colonials from Battlestar Galactica if they never found Earth and stayed as a fleet.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 29, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I do like how the image of the Quarians shifted from "mistreated space exiles" to "100% deserved everything bad that ever happened to them" over the course of the trilogy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Quarians died on their way to a new home galaxy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arcsquad12 posted:

:rip: Poochie

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

imagine making an AAA game so poorly received that you have to abandon all plans to further monetize it through DLC content

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's two tiers of Spectre Gear, right? They do tier VII and Tier X, right?

Also, I may have gotten mixed up with ME2 but can't you get a Geth Pulse Rifle in ME1?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's two tiers of Spectre Gear, right? They do tier VII and Tier X, right?

Also, I may have gotten mixed up with ME2 but can't you get a Geth Pulse Rifle in ME1?

There's a supergun you can cheat in via the console that's a geth pulse rifle, so I know the model/effect are in the game. I'm pretty sure you can get a less powerful, non-cheat version legitimately too, but I don't remember when.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still plugging through ME1. Theres a lot of padding but I do appreciate the side missions st least trying to be interesting with text boxes if not with gameplay.

The thing I hate the most has got to be the paragade system. Its outdated and actively hinders role-playing because you can't choose dialogue options without investing in charm and intimidate but since those are tied to morality its even worse because you have to game the system to get enough points.

I remember why I got so tired of the system after the second game because by then even Bioware was moving away from it with Dragon Age 2 doing personality types instead and other games like Witcher or the Deus Ex prequels focusing more on how a defined character could react in different ways in a given situation, but nothing was held back from the player by an arbitrary points system.

Also, man, Pinnacle Station is just the worst isnt it? Somebody shat that "dlc" out over a weekend.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Remember, it was still early days for DLC. Pinnacle was almost experimental at the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its bizarre because Bring Down the Sky is a good piece of dlc even today. I dont know what they were thinking with Pinnacle.

As for the morality complaint I just said gently caress it and console commanded my paragade points to max and filled out the skill points so I could focus on other things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You're right. I remembered Pinnacle coming out first. Looking it up, Pinnacle was outsourced to Demiurge, which also did the PC port.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

You're right. I remembered Pinnacle coming out first. Looking it up, Pinnacle was outsourced to Demiurge, which also did the PC port.

Well that would explain why it never came up again. Good riddance.

At this point I'm just playing through the first game to get a story refresher. If I decide to do more it will be just grabbing a premade save so I can do Mass Effect 2 variations. The main plot of 2 and 3 are stupid as hell contrivances but at least in 2 the main story beats take a backseat to the Dirty Dozen recruitment missions.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that would explain why it never came up again. Good riddance.

I'd say the combat arena in citadel is a spiritual successor to Pinnacle Station, or at least my memory of Pinnacle Station.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pinnacle Station was alright as a combat arena with an apartment but that poo poo should have been a minor sidequest, not the entire DLC.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Bring Down the Sky for ME1 and then Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 were really interesting because it was obvious that the devs were experiment with mechanics and gameplay intended for the next game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Bring Down the Sky for ME1 and then Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 were really interesting because it was obvious that the devs were experiment with mechanics and gameplay intended for the next game.

man, LotSB was such a good DLC

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pattonesque posted:

man, LotSB was such a good DLC

I think I ultimately enjoyed it more than ME3: it allowed for a fairly wide degree of roleplaying while also having a logical endpoint due to being an interstitial story.

Also :lol: when Shep shoots the hostage... :jihad:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I think I ultimately enjoyed it more than ME3: it allowed for a fairly wide degree of roleplaying while also having a logical endpoint due to being an interstitial story.

The second-best thing was being a Vanguard and punting the villain off into space

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

fantastic ending too, the scene where Liara becomes the Shadow Broker is really well done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished Mass Effect 1 replay. Final thoughts.

This game has the best ending of the three. Sure the stuff with Saren shooting himself and then fighting his zombie is weak, but it's no worse than the rest of the combat in the game and isn't mind numbingly stupid like the terminator baby reaper or the star child. The stuff around that fight is all golden though. Saving the council versus waiting for a better shot at the Reaper is a good heroic vs pragmatic final choice, and the run up from Ilos to the Citadel Chamber is excellent, and the running battle up the side of the tower with Sovereign in the background is a really unique combat arena that sets itself apart from a bug nest Collector Base or a ruined London.

The four main story missions aren't all that interesting to me and they're surprisingly short when you look at them. The Liara mission was obviously recycled from the scrapped Callisten planet and the end of the Noveria chapter is so anticlimactic that you literally walk through a door and oh look there's Benezia. The Feros mission is fun, I liked it the second most after the Virmire mission, which is the best. You can see how elements of the second game, dividing up your squad, loyalty checks and side objectives, all get their start on Virmire. It's good, I like it and it doesn't have some of the more questionable mission options that the Suicide Mission has in ME2.

There's a lot of padding for side missions. Most of them aren't bad but the combat and recycled base layouts gets tiring really quick. Driving segments for the story missions and Bring Down the Sky are good and show that the Mako isn't all that bad when there's a hand at play designing level geometry. The uncharted worlds, oof, it's like a cat walked over a keyboard. Way too much busywork with the collectathon sidequests and endless driving over barren planets only to get one shot by a thresher maw that popped up underneath you.

The Normandy Crew is really odd because your squadmates all have a decent chunk to say but everyone else on the ship feels really tacked on. Adams, Chakwas, Pressley and even Joker (and Benezia for that matter) all feel like they're there to be cameos from science fiction tv shows and movies rather than actual characters and they've got so little to do. Chakwas might as well not exist in this game. At least you can get her drunk in ME2.

Overall, ME1 feels like it's on the edge of being a classic. It's clear that Bioware's internal development structure was completely hosed and they had to make some big cuts to the game before it shipped. It's impressive then that what is good in the game is so good, even with the concessions that needed to be made. But when it's clear they were using the clone brush to pad out the runtime it really suffers. Thank god they stuck that landing though. The third act of the game is easily the best part of it and really sells the game's underlying theme of humanity either going it alone or learning to be part of the community and proving themselves. That is a much stronger central conflict than the struggle between synthetic and organic life, which unfortunately took over the rest of the series. And by took over I mean it was a running side plot that overran the main plot of cooperation and mutual respect in the last ten minutes so Hudson and Walters could wrap up a story they had no idea how to tell properly.

Onto Mass Effect 2, maybe after I finish my KOTOR playthrough.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The sovereign reveal is still one of my favorite gaming moments. I still get chills hearing that voice

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Ilos ruled and BioWare did a great job with the atmosphere of that sequence. Talking to Vigil was great.

By Mass Effect 2 the limited degree of reactivity was so obvious. I should have started downgrading my expectations then.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sometimes I think about the pre-release thread for Mass Effect 1, which had a bunch of goons getting all hyped up over interrupts in conversations - specific example I think was punching the hysterical guy on Eden Prime. one of the posters said that they couldn't really see how this would actually work in terms of programming and logistics, as there'd have to be so many permutations based on when exactly you decided to interrupt, what consequences would arise, making sure critical info got passed on etc. anyway they were shouted down by the rest of the thread because interrupts like the one in the preview would be cool so shut up nerd

then ME1 came out and it didn't have interrupts. ME2 did have interrupts but in a different, restricted form, effectively just unusual dialogue choices (like punching the colonist ended up being in the final product). I guess the moral of the story is that they were always just video games

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

sometimes I think about the pre-release thread for Mass Effect 1, which had a bunch of goons getting all hyped up over interrupts in conversations - specific example I think was punching the hysterical guy on Eden Prime. one of the posters said that they couldn't really see how this would actually work in terms of programming and logistics, as there'd have to be so many permutations based on when exactly you decided to interrupt, what consequences would arise, making sure critical info got passed on etc. anyway they were shouted down by the rest of the thread because interrupts like the one in the preview would be cool so shut up nerd

then ME1 came out and it didn't have interrupts. ME2 did have interrupts but in a different, restricted form, effectively just unusual dialogue choices (like punching the colonist ended up being in the final product). I guess the moral of the story is that they were always just video games

They had that one tech demo where you could tell proto-Garrus to shut up and it looked really smooth

but yes, of course, that was 'cause it was just a tech demo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DarkHorse posted:

The sovereign reveal is still one of my favorite gaming moments. I still get chills hearing that voice

A bunch of us were watching my friend play through it (no one had played it before) when we got to that scene. There was a proper sound system with subwoofer hooked up to the TV, and the bass on Sovereign’s voice when it first spoke made everyone in the room jump. Such a great moment. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Between Sovereign telling you off and Vigil saying "it doesn't matter what their motivation is, they are here to kill you, I don't know why Bioware decided we needed to learn their backstory. They're cosmic horror robot cuttlefish who turn people into zombies and harvest them for their own reasons. We didn't need more explanation than that.

Then Harbinger rolls up in ME2 and spends the whole game acting like a petulant dick who gets off on trash talking an insect.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

DarkHorse posted:

Garrus: What is that, a VI?
Sovereign: Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
Garrus: I don't think this is a VI.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
...the music when you're talking to Vigil. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

...the music when you're talking to Vigil. :allears:

my favorite thing about the Vigil theme is that if you go to the War Room in ME3 a very subtle and slowed-down version of that theme is the ambient noise