Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Hello, I have an opinion.

Halo 5 Warzone is fantastic.

Goodbye.

If you take away the cards and add better maps warzone could have really been something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Yeah the REQ system is definitely weird. I don't outright hate it, but it sure is weird.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't forgive warzone for effectively killing off btb.

Like zaphod said, without the card/energy system it might be a lot more interesting

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is that the normal mode or the moba inspired one with the mtx economy?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

Is that the normal mode or the moba inspired one with the mtx economy?

It should be clear from us saying "it would be good without the cards" that it was the latter.

Arena was the "normal mode"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

It should be clear from us saying "it would be good without the cards" that it was the latter.

Arena was the "normal mode"
He knew that he just wanted to complain about mtx for the 1000th time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Buncha hostility for posting without refreshing the thread first. Mea culpa
I dont know the names of the modes

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

They hosed up Horde mode in Gears with that poo poo too

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo 5 war zone sucks with the dumb as poo poo sprite AI players what the gently caress were they thinking.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Phenomenal post.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Trying out 'Creature in the Well' on GamePass. It's the most wtf game concept but it's also very cool and chill.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 30, 2020

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I played that when it first appeared and I had a lot of fun with it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Did the GamePass thing. Currently sitting in three years worth. Amazing.

Other question: is there any way to make Live avatars look less...gender-fluid? I see what Microsoft was going for but I can’t seem to make myself look like myself. The range seems to be super feminine to Daria feminine even when choosing a masculine body type, facial hair, and all the other stereotypical masculine stuff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Other question: is there any way to make Live avatars look less...gender-fluid? I see what Microsoft was going for but I can’t seem to make myself look like myself. The range seems to be super feminine to Daria feminine even when choosing a masculine body type, facial hair, and all the other stereotypical masculine stuff.

literally no one will see it. it doesnt matter.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Laserface posted:

literally no one will see it. it doesnt matter.

When I let my xbox go idle the screen dims and a 1/3 of the screen goes into a rotating display of achievements and who is online playing what by their avatars. That's how I discovered there's a unicorn you can ride which is p. cool.

But yeah after the Mii craze I thought xbox was all in with these things, but they sort of disappeared into the background after the kinect failed to work as promised.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I put some effort to make mine look like George Costanza, which is disappointing considering how few people see it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hey, you all remember how much Microsoft hyped up "the power of the cloud" for the Xbox One? lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Using the cloud to make Crackdown 3 into a fully destructible Rampage like city

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

"The company stated that with the cloud, the Xbox One could be as powerful as the combined processing power of 32 Xbox 360s. Roughly making the Xbox One four times as powerful as it is without the cloud. The image below gives you an idea of what they were talking about during the event."

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

El_Elegante posted:

Using the cloud to make Crackdown 3 into a fully destructible Rampage like city

I remember the tech demo showing the cloud resist usage while playing the game and it did look awesome.

I guess even in the cloud you have to allow for may, so having geometric calculations be done elsewhere and shown quickly on screen was never going to work.

However, that said, with the new cloud streaming service, there's nothing to stop them having the server showing your stream be attached to the cloud server in the same row, making any calculation lag practically disappear. Could they make it so that streaming services have better quality interactive objects than running the game at home?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think Stadia was proposing something of that sort, but I don't know if it's materialized in any way yet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

not going to happen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

not going to happen

stadia.txt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I think Stadia was proposing something of that sort, but I don't know if it's materialized in any way yet.

I wish the Stadia thread was still open because the Stadiadreams.txt was pretty amazing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I wish the Stadia thread was still open

NOOOOOO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I actually enjoyed it! I think a general steaming technology thread might be good with xcloud coming out soon.

GFN works really good for a lot of people.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

don’t think anyone will mind a general streaming thread but the stadia thread was going down the route of all mock threads into becoming intolerably fail

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

don’t think anyone will mind a general streaming thread but the stadia thread was going down the route of all mock threads into becoming intolerably fail

Yeah that’s true. We have quite a lot of options now which is nice. I dunno maybe I’ll make one later today if no one has already.

Parsec seems cool and quite a few goons use it as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We'll always have r/stadia

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We'll always have r/stadia

Cursed.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well it was a transition from a small cave, through that alcove, and then into a larger outcropping where they scale before exploring the much larger and detailed environment. just before going through they're talking about the audio features they've been working on, listen at 3:21 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw&t=201s

okay strictly speaking it was a combination of up-close details, sound, lighting, and their effects system, but you should get my point. i just don't see why there would need to be a hidden loading screen to cover that change compared to 7:47 in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw&t=467s

this is less about taking devs at their words and more about how the practicals of the engine shown don't line up with the suspicions people have about it. i'm not going around reading dev interviews after the event, that was my impression from the first watch and people talking about it being a hidden loading screen looked insane to me then as well

the ending reveal of that terrible looking character always cracks me up

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got the Godzilla costume when they were giving that away then I bought the pole dancing emote because are you gonna have Godzilla and not have him pole dance? Of course not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe you guys can help me out. I gave my brother who rarely plays games my Xbone a while back, and he'd like some game recommendations. The problem is that I have all of these recs I want to give him and nearly every drat one of them is a Playstation exclusive and I'm having trouble coming up with a whole lot of stuff for him. Basically his video game tastes boils down to "really likes half life 2" annnd...that's it. He replayed half life 2 twice since I gave him the Xbox a year ago and it's also the only game I remember him playing as a kid as well. He's also played call of duty but doesn't like them. He'd also like games that him and his girlfriend to play together on the couch. Afaik she doesn't game much either. but they both want to casually get into it.

I feel like there's probably a laundry list of good recs for him but his taste/game knowledge is so limited it's tough. The Metro series immediately came to mind since they have always given me half life vibes and I love them personally. Also possibly Prey but that might be too complicated for him I dunno. I told him to play Portal 2 and he said it was confusing. Also recommended Overcooked 2 for couch co-op. He also loves RTS games so I told him about the Halo one (which I haven't played)

I dunno, what would you guys rec to a 34 year old guy who has basically no knowledge of games, but is just competent enough at them to enjoy half life? Thanks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Well there's always Doom 3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Metro games are basically Half-Life with stealth and survival horror.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get them Gamepass, let them enjoy some Bethesda shooters, Metro, The Halos, and whatever else is on there.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Battletoads has couch co-op

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Burnout Paradise. It's the NBA Jam of racing games, nobody sucks at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

THPS 1 and 2.