Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Mine seems to. I recently found an entry for a network in the list of previous connections that I don't recognize and that certainly doesn't belong to any device I own.

try forgetting those and disabling auto connect to Hotspot 2.0 networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sleepwalkers posted:

try forgetting those and disabling auto connect to Hotspot 2.0 networks.
It already was disabled, which is why I found it so concerning. Good catch on forgetting the network, though, I didn't do that yet.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I use public WiFi all the time because I'm on a PAYG sim. Sorry team.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

fishing with the fam posted:

What's a good alternate to Hangouts? The drat thing won't stop crashing.

Discord, Whatsapp, Signal, Skype, whatever else m8, just don't pick one made by Google because its not going to work for long.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Draw me like one of your French girls

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Three Olives posted:

I may have gone a bit overboard. Let's just say we have very good whole house audio coverage. I didn't mention the retired devices as I replaced Google Assistant devices with Google Assistant Smart Displays.

Thank you for this! Actually all of that does sound pretty awesome, and I may end up going that path in the future, as funds allow and if the Google ecosystem continues to work well for me. I did find following that device the JBL Link speakers on their site, and they look like they might just fit the bill; my decision now is whether I want to drop an extra $30 for the battery-powered one (yeah, I think I do).

I was envisioning a couple wall-attached speakers, moving them about with velcro or something, but they'd still need to be plugged into charge, and well.. maybe just a portable 360-deg speaker with a dock really fits my wants better.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are USB cables and chargers still a shitshow or has sanity taken over?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 29, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It already was disabled, which is why I found it so concerning. Good catch on forgetting the network, though, I didn't do that yet.

it got left behind on the last page but also use: wifi settings > advanced > manage networks > choose a network > untick "auto reconnect" and it won't automatically join those networks while not forgetting them totally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are USB cables and changers still a shitshow or has sanity taken over?

I've been happy sticking with Ankey, Aukey, and AmazonBasics.

And the one random lightning cable I picked up at the grocery store for my tablet cause, gently caress, I don't care that much about my iDevice.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Samsung just pushed wireless dex at my s20+ :stare:I never thought I'd see the day

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ooh the nearby share thing has just appeared on mine and the partners phones

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

Samsung just pushed wireless dex at my s20+ :stare:I never thought I'd see the day

I got it too. I cant imagine the usage case though, really. Why tf do I need that when I'm already on my PC to be able to use it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I used it once and only once with my roommate and never again.

This might be a thing Google removes eventually citing no one using it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ah, there it is. it's for your TV, with miracast, not your pc. Can probably get it working but wish they'd managed to go with chromecast which is probably less effort these days?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Same - I don't understand why it's saying something about being visible only to contacts, though, or why it apparently needs me to verify my number with Google. I thought the whole point was that you turned it on to 'receive mode', the other person hit (share icon) -> 'Nearby Share' -> 'spincube's Phone', and it all worked ~by magic~ from there ... why does it need to touch my contacts at all?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Same - I don't understand why it's saying something about being visible only to contacts, though, or why it apparently needs me to verify my number with Google. I thought the whole point was that you turned it on to 'receive mode', the other person hit (share icon) -> 'Nearby Share' -> 'spincube's Phone', and it all worked ~by magic~ from there ... why does it need to touch my contacts at all?

To prevent AirDrop style penis-bombing while giving you a setting to allow poo poo from contacts without having to authorize every time, I think.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My wife and I are thinking that it's time to upgrade from our pixel 1s since the battery doesn't hold much of a charge any longer.

I'm not sure I want to spend on a pixel 4 - how does the 4, 4a and (what we know of) the 5 compare to the OG pixel?

I also can't figure something out - what is the pixel 4a-5G and how is it different than the base 4a? Does the 5G just let it use the newer signal?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Vasler posted:

My wife and I are thinking that it's time to upgrade from our pixel 1s since the battery doesn't hold much of a charge any longer.

I'm not sure I want to spend on a pixel 4 - how does the 4, 4a and (what we know of) the 5 compare to the OG pixel?

I also can't figure something out - what is the pixel 4a-5G and how is it different than the base 4a? Does the 5G just let it use the newer signal?

Any of the newer pixels will be a nice step up,
As for the 4a vs 4a 5g:

quote:

In his blog post, Rakowski says there will be a 5G version of the Pixel 4A, which will cost $499. A $150 jump just for 5G seems fairly steep, but rumors point to the Pixel 4A 5G also having a larger screen than the regular 4A’s 5.8-inch OLED display. Rumors also suggestit might have a second camera lens.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Vasler posted:

If the battery is the only thing annoying you, consider replacing it. I got a new battery in my Pixel and it solved pretty much every issue I had with the phone. Kind of impressive that a four year old phone still works as well as it does.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Vasler posted:

Compared to the Pixel 1 the Pixel 4a would have a bigger screen but the same size overall due to smaller bezels, it'll continue to get Android and security upgrades for much longer, will have +2GB of RAM, and has a bigger and newer battery. Costs $349 or £349.

Compared to the Pixel 4a the Pixel 4a 5g will have an even bigger battery and a bigger screen and 5g support. Also it's in white instead of just black. Rumoured at $450-550 or £450-550.

The Pixel 5 would have a smaller screen than the Pixel 4a 5g but that screen will have 90hz refresh rate, it has the biggest battery and another +2GB of RAM (so +4GB up from Pixel 1). They take away the audio jack though. Rumoured at $600-700 or £600-700.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 31, 2020

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xachariah posted:

Compared to the Pixel 1 the Pixel 4a would have a bigger screen but the same size overall due to smaller bezels, it'll continue to get Android and security upgrades for much longer, will have +2GB of RAM, and has a bigger and newer battery. Costs $349 or £349.

Compared to the Pixel 4a the Pixel 4a 5g will have an even bigger battery and a bigger screen and 5g support. Also it's in white instead of just black. Rumoured at $450-550 or £450-550.

The Pixel 5 would have a smaller screen than the Pixel 4a 5g but that screen will have 90hz refresh rate, it has the biggest battery and another +2GB of RAM (so +4GB up from Pixel 1). They take away the audio jack though. Rumoured at $600-700 or £600-700.

Also more storage on the 4a.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Went from Pixel 1 to 4a like a week and a half ago or something. If Google was still pumping updates out for the Pixel OG I personally probably wouldn't have upgraded. The 4a is generally an improvement all around. Battery life is very impressive. Nice to have a big chunk of storage that is noticably considerably faster. Screen is just ok... definitely not better, but not worse overall either. For the price you're not allowed to publicly complain.

I definitely think the camera is notably worse than the Pixel OG though. I take a lot of pictures and see it every single time. Grainyness where the OG would have been crisp. But the camera is good for a 2020 $350 phone, just not as good as a 4 year old flagship evidently.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I ordered a Note 20 Ultra because my lease was up on my S10+ and I'm a whore for shiny new phones. I need to look into 5G though, I'm on Sprint (for now?) and it's hard finding many details out about how 5G works if I'm still technically a Sprint user. Presumably they're using T-Mobile's towers but haven't been able to find out whether I have access to 5G on my normal unlimited plan or if I need a newer plan to utilize 5G on my new phone. I guess I'll find out whenever my new phone gets here!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Vasler posted:

I think the general consensus is it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a Pixel 4 right now. The 4a is an excellent option, and if you want the full flagship option, the 5 is rumored to be coming in the next couple of months.

As for the 4a 5G, it depends what carrier you're on and where you live, but 5G is not available most places right now (except on T-Mobile, but it's a different kind of 5g), and it will cost some battery life. It is not nearly as big of a deal as 3g to 4g was.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Xachariah posted:

The only thing about this is the Pixel 4a 5G is not rumored at $500 but confirmed by Google at $500 ($499 but whatever).

That's literally the only official news we have on the P4a5G other than the pics of the P5/P4a5G from the side and it's thought that the P5 is the smaller one but we don't exactly know I guess?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was just informed by Samsung that they're apparently going to stop offering file backup and that all personal files which are stored on Samsung Cloud will be unceremoniously deleted sometime soon. So, you know, if you're using that, make sure you're backing up your backup sometime soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I was just informed by Samsung that they're apparently going to stop offering file backup and that all personal files which are stored on Samsung Cloud will be unceremoniously deleted sometime soon. So, you know, if you're using that, make sure you're backing up your backup sometime soon.

They've been prompting people to move to OneDrive for a while, Samsung and Microsoft have some kind of partnership going.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Here is the official notice: https://support.samsungcloud.com/#/eof_notice/group1

In June 2021 they will delete Gallery Sync and Drive storage for My Files. Device Backups and the other sync services like Notes and Reminders are not affected.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally managed to uninstall youtube, music & videos from my phone with adb shell. Youtube kept re-appearing even after uninstalling and disabling it repeatedly (nice rear end in a top hat design, Google). Too many annoying ads and changes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 have gone through FCC regulations. It does confirm a few things:

Pixel 4a 5G:
- Model numbers: G025E, G025I, and G025H
- Has no mmWave support (same 5G as P5 otherwise)
- No wireless charging

Pixel 5:
-Model numbers: GD1YQ, GTT9Q, and G5NZ6
- Has mmWave support (same 5G as P4a5G otherwise)
- Has wireless charging
- The spectrum used for Project Soli (58-63.5GHz) is gone so no Soli radar thus no face unlock.

Imgur has gone 100% poo poo (or maybe always was?) so I can't upload the images of some of the specs (nothing like screen size or whatever, just radio stuff):
https://fccid.io/A4RGD1YQ
https://fccid.io/A4RG025E
https://fccid.io/A4RGTT9Q
https://fccid.io/A4RG025I

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While I don't think it has face ID regardless, Soli wasn't a major component of that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

While I don't think it has face ID regardless, Soli wasn't a major component of that.

I thought the radar was the reason they used Soli since it wasn't a camera-based face unlock like Samsung does but an actual radar system?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the radar thing was a neat gimmick as far as they pushed it, I guess they were really overselling the capability or simply made it such a pain to use nobody tried taking advantage of it. Or, most likely, both.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I thought the radar was the reason they used Soli since it wasn't a camera-based face unlock like Samsung does but an actual radar system?

It's an IR based system like Windows Hello and Apple's FaceID.

There are stereo IR cameras, an IR dot projector, and an IR flood illuminator.

Soli was just used to detect you reaching for the phone to activate the sensors sooner.

Soli was very much a "We had to make a huge forehead for our face unlock system and now we have extra space, what else can we cram in there?"

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 1, 2020

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Face unlock was what made me jump from a 3 to a 4XL. Hopefully the P6 (Sixel) bring it back.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, Soli wasn't the face unlock, it was the useless wave to skip tracks thing. Neat tech, boring and useless implementation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

the radar thing was a neat gimmick as far as they pushed it, I guess they were really overselling the capability or simply made it such a pain to use nobody tried taking advantage of it. Or, most likely, both.

From what I understand from a Googler friend of mine, Soli is a joke from within Google as well. It was never used the way Google had hoped and no one actually wanted it anyway.

bull3964 posted:

It's an IR based system like Windows Hello and Apple's FaceID.

There are stereo IR cameras, an IR dot projector, and an IR flood illuminator.

Soli was just used to detect you reaching for the phone to activate the sensors sooner.

Soli was very much a "We had to make a huge forehead for our face unlock system and now we have extra space, what else can we cram in there?"

I wonder if they'll try Face Unlock without Soli...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Face Unlock has become useless with the proliferation of masks, which no one had on their 2020 bingo to be fair. I think Face Unlock is a dead technology.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think it may make a comeback if they manage to get the IR cameras and projectors small enough to fit in the sliver of a bezel or if they make them work under-screen. But, Google has taken a beating way too hard with respect to the top bezel so they'll likely never go that route again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Anyone got a recommended keyboard for the large handed? I keep hitting the keys next to the ones I want to. I'm using a Nokia 7.1 and in a regular phone holding position my thumb can more than reach across the entire device. 'Buy a bigger phone' is the obvious answer but I'm otherwise happy with this one so if there's any software solutions I'm all ears.

Also it seems to have dried out A-Ok so thanks for the input, again.