Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another skill interaction that is reasonably useful is to put Mechanics on a melee character (or at least someone you intend to send in the thick of things) so they can disable turrets by running up to their generators. I gave mechanics to my sniper and whoops that was a bad call. I'm way too lazy to switch up my party at this point though so I'm just dealing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's going to be hilarious when Microsoft drops a huge wad of money on InXile to create a new open world Wasteland, so that they can eat Bethesda's lunch with better first party versions of BOTH Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

We can only hope!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zore posted:

The best thing is that there is absolutely no reason to ever side with the Gippers for any reason mechanically. For their quest the Machine Commune gives you Party Bot (a combat companion that heals, buffs and does ranged damage) if you double cross them vs an incredibly low cash reward. Even if you go through with it and side with them anyways they try to download the Reagan AI into Val which pisses off the Patriarch. And on top of all that there's a clear path to betray them to the creepy cannibals that gives better rewards

Also the Machine Commune owns.

All good except CRUSH COMMUNISTS!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

rodbeard posted:

Heavy weapons and explosives on the same guy feels natural at the beginning of the game, but then I quickly realized I wanted to have a flamethrower and a machine gun and a rocket launcher equipped and that doesn't really work. Still fiddling around with different builds to see where a rocket launcher would make the most sense and I'm leaning toward on my sniper.

This is the conclusion I came to as well. Small/Automatic/Big Guns/Melee both have two types of weapons already and the perk tree encourages you to use both in your weapon slots, so only Sniper Rifle and Brawling characters are left.

The natural Sniper quirk picks like Sadomasochist and Death Wish also work well with rocket launchers, whether you just want to boost your rocket damage even more or fire off a rocket + shoot in the same turn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wolfe's Hunt: So I was back and forth with this one. On one hand the robot had a kid's voice and I felt sorry for him and on the other Gary Wolfe is a racist prick. Yeah the bot said he would probably kill and I was being super naive by not killing him but Gary Wolfe 1) was never recruited in my games as w2 made it hard and it wasn't that good so he was stolen valour as far as I'm concerned 2) Wolfe and company shot up the town a =nd expecting me to clean their mess and 3) called me a simp and a race traitor. Yeah the bot did immediately kill someone going over the wall and carved "thank you for helping me escape" into the corpse so I know this is going to bite me in the rear end but I didn't see anyone else choose this in the walkthrough (was curious) and hoping that Wolfe bites it hard. gently caress that dude.This also fits my naive good guy that means well but is so hosed.

Also... still shocked that melee isn't that much more effective than guns. Also wish there was more knifey perks. Waiting till a certain companion to try brawling though I might reroll one of my four custom.

Wolfe was right :colbert:

Melee seems to be a late bloomer type of char. I just recruited that companion and he's an absolute monster :downsrim:. You really need to have a good amount(6+) of strength, coordination and speed for melee to shine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The "kid" admits he has a child's voice to manipulate people. He's practically made to be a serial killer.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Melee seems to be a late bloomer type of char. I just recruited that companion and he's an absolute monster :downsrim:. You really need to have a good amount(6+) of strength, coordination and speed for melee to shine.

:yeah:

That move speed is ridiculous. I disabled 2 of the turrets in a turn with him on the circus map.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I was wondering why my Lucia Wesson was always one shotted in combat.
She has only STR 1 and 55 hp at my level. Adding 2nd point raised the HP to 110, which is still low, but now she isn't always one shotted. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

NPC's using energy weapons: they seem to do the same kinda damage to my guys they would on bots. I'm assuming the -30% damage should apply but it doesn't seem to. Haven't tried it on any non bots as I always forget to swap.

Low-key reveal that the 'Rangers' are all robots and the Cochise AI was never defeated?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wolfe's Hunt: So I was back and forth with this one. On one hand the robot had a kid's voice and I felt sorry for him and on the other Gary Wolfe is a racist prick. Yeah the bot said he would probably kill and I was being super naive by not killing him but Gary Wolfe 1) was never recruited in my games as w2 made it hard and it wasn't that good so he was stolen valour as far as I'm concerned 2) Wolfe and company shot up the town a =nd expecting me to clean their mess and 3) called me a simp and a race traitor. Yeah the bot did immediately kill someone going over the wall and carved "thank you for helping me escape" into the corpse so I know this is going to bite me in the rear end but I didn't see anyone else choose this in the walkthrough (was curious) and hoping that Wolfe bites it hard. gently caress that dude.This also fits my naive good guy that means well but is so hosed.

Well, sentient AI did destroy the entire world

In other words...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

adhuin posted:

She has only STR 1 and 55 hp at my level. Adding 2nd point raised the HP to 110, which is still low, but now she isn't always one shotted. :v:

That was my problem too! I kept ignoring STR because I want running any melee characters and wondering why everyone kept getting downed. Once I started putting points there everything got much easier.

Also I'm about to head to Liberty so I have a question. Is Jodi going to leave me? I decided to side with Angela and Jodi didn't like it. Can I stop her if she does? Should I be looking at a replacement?

And earlier my pet doe finished off a scorpitron, I nearly died laughing

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I just met Wolfe and I don't know what his deal is (I didn't play the previous games) but I think I'm gonna do whatever he doesn't want me to do out of spite

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wolfe was a merc in W2 that you could eventually have join your party. They made him into a hard-line robo hater in W3, but that's fitting given what all goes down in W1 and W2

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 31, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't forget them doing that "end of the world" thing

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

adhuin posted:

Yeah every character should have at least 2 STR because that gets you more health every level. If you have only 1 STR you don't get the +health per level so it can bite you in the rear end later in the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wolfe was also a Kickstarter backer character and feels like a total edgelord so gently caress him anyway.

I've gotten back to Colorado Springs after finishing most of the Bizarre and am about to return to it to finish them up, and I gotta say I'm glad that the game is well-written enough to tell me right out through the political advisor that I've kinda hosed myself politically on a "peaceful" ending or so because of my decisions. It makes sense too, but hell, the Arizona Rangers have always defined by that tendency to end up in firefights to solve most of their problems, particularly when they're trying to do the right thing in a morally-difficult world.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Furism posted:

Yeah every character should have at least 2 STR because that gets you more health every level. If you have only 1 STR you don't get the +health per level so it can bite you in the rear end later in the game.

Yeah every point gives you +Con, and every 2nd point gives you +con per level. So once you start getting into the game and getting some levels on you, each 2nd point of STR gives you a sizable amount of extra HP since its giving you the extra HP based on the amount of levels you have. To me everyone at minimum should have at least 4 STR and higher the better anyways since they get to wear the bigger armour which gives them even more effective HP.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Some guide that came out before release mentioned that you shouln't take any stats to 10, because there were some party-wide permanent +1 boni available. Is that true ? I'm just level 10 or so, but haven't found any yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I saw that mentioned too but I've yet to find one. I've found several of the "party wide buff dolls" but they tend to be things like +5% damage to humans, or derived stats like Perception and Penetration. Considering I have 5/15 dolls and none of them are +1 to primary stat, either they're all later in the game (which would be a bit of a dick move) or they're not there.

Edit: I did, however, find one piece of armor so far that DOES increase a base stat (+1 Speed) so there's that I guess?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MonikaTSarn posted:

Some guide that came out before release mentioned that you shouln't take any stats to 10, because there were some party-wide permanent +1 boni available. Is that true ? I'm just level 10 or so, but haven't found any yet.

I understood the same but I'm starting to think that this only applies to skills (because of the books you find and should have for the last tier, which costs 6 SP).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Considering there's utility items that add +1 to every non-combat skill the highest you should get any skill to naturally is 8, followed by a skill book and then having the item equipped if necessary, unless you actually want the constant passive benefits of some of them like first aid and mechanics.

Then again it seems like you end up with more than enough skill points so this kind of minmaxing is almost certainly insane overkill.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't really think you need to min max. Even with some NPCs having 6-8 points invested in skills you won't use you have plenty of levels to steer them another direction. At around level 18 I'm feeling like most of my character's primary attributes are locked in and I'm a few pips away from most their major skills. If I hit ~30 at the end of the game then I'll be more or less maxed out if a few fun secondary skills for most of my characters

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My squad is somewhat slipshod with the skill points and it so far hasn't bitten me in the rear end mostly due to focusing on 2-3 skills per character. Even took out a rather seemingly tough encounter tonight without too much trouble.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Explosives seem OP as heck in this game. One of my MCs took Explodomaniac with the quirk that gives you more explosive/fire damage, and she's annihilating 2-3 dudes at a time with each grenade toss. That big tough machine in the garage, gone in one rocket. The downside of the quirk where you set yourself on fire isn't really a big deal when Explosive specialization also increases your fire resistance.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the background that gives +2 penetration the best background? I'm finding it hard not to take on everyone.

The quirk that gives +6 armour is seeming really tempting too, but -4 move is a lot.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve found a lot of the quirks really useful. Sadomasochist on a sniper is ridiculous, my melee with Medical Marvel is tanky as hell, and as someone mentioned upthread Serial Killer and big guns = party all night.

For Bop Bag, I gave that to my small arms ranger and she’s been pretty hardy because of it when she’s up throwing bleed on a huge cone of enemies. The combat speed loss can be compensated for pretty easily.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
(Re amor quirk) it seems like a lot of the flat bonus quirks aren’t really worth it since you quickly get armor and things that overwhelm them.

Sadomasochist seems powerful since it scales with your guy . Though it has an upper utility if you’ll set yourself up to do massive damage. Doing 133% of someone’s health is the same as doing 100%. I haven’t gotten to late game to know how much that matters on a sniper character.

Serial Killer seems only good on people with very low or very high AP weapons. Getting +3 AP isn’t much use if your gun costs 4 to shoot but is amazing if it costs 3 or 6 since the 3 gets a free attack and the 6 probably has some AP leftover to make up the difference.

Poindexter doesn’t seem worth it to me unless you are committing to a 1 Str character. Otherwise, it costs quite a few attribute points to make up for the downside and having a character whose health doesn’t scale at all seems bad in return for 0.5 skill points per level (at ~15% increase).

Prospector is fun and, unfortunately, its downside seems like it’s on the honor system. As far as I can tell, there is no AP cost for changing quick slot items mid combat. But I’m going to respect the spirit of it.

Pyromaniac seems amazing for your Heavy except that, paradoxically, your Heavy probably shouldn't be firing rockets and running the flamethrower. The damage bonus of Weird Science pushes you towards using cool energy weapons and a flamethrower. Still, there’s plenty of grenades.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

doingitwrong posted:

Poindexter doesn’t seem worth it to me unless you are committing to a 1 Str character. Otherwise, it costs quite a few attribute points to make up for the downside and having a character whose health doesn’t scale at all seems bad in return for 0.5 skill points per level (at ~15% increase).

I think a poindexter 1 str char is a pretty bad idea since they would get 1 shotted by everything. I run pointdexter on one char with 4 strength(as I stated before I think every char should run that at a minimum) and he has lower health but not wildly so versus the other characters.

Pointdexter sucks early game straight up, but as you keep going and keep the levels coming it comes into its own imo, especially since I also have high INT(more skillpoints) on that character.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ll probably wait until a Director’s Cut/Enhanced/GOTY edition of this game comes out before purchasing, but in the meantime I aim to beat Wasteland Remastered and W2: DC.

Does anyone have, or have seen, any good character building guides for W1?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Wasteland 1 is easy. Just dump points into combat skills. Don't bother with evasion as late game armor makes you nigh invulnerable against everything but the top vegas baddies and cochise.

Recommended to have a character with high strength and don't use your rocket launchers for combat. Those things are for opening locked doors. Don't bother with toaster repair, VAX has the skill at level 5. Try to have a happy balance of health, strength and other attributes.

The game runs on the same system used in Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes, so if you want to min max, just look up builds for that ruleset.

It's a pretty forgiving game for a Golden Age CRPG. Just remember that combat skills are the most important ones.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's a testament to how starved I am for good multiplayer experiences that I stick with the coop in this game. My friend and I have been fighting bug after bug (including one game-breaking one that required us to start over from Ranger HQ).

It's pretty hosed up that the multi even launched in this state.

When it works it's a good time though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dont Touch ME posted:

Wasteland 1 is easy. Just dump points into combat skills. Don't bother with evasion as late game armor makes you nigh invulnerable against everything but the top vegas baddies and cochise.

Recommended to have a character with high strength and don't use your rocket launchers for combat. Those things are for opening locked doors. Don't bother with toaster repair, VAX has the skill at level 5. Try to have a happy balance of health, strength and other attributes.

The game runs on the same system used in Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes, so if you want to min max, just look up builds for that ruleset.

It's a pretty forgiving game for a Golden Age CRPG. Just remember that combat skills are the most important ones.

Awesome, thanks! I’ve got a party started where everyone has Brawling at 2, Int over 15 with double digits everywhere else, and then a smattering of skills like medic, climbing, pugilist, and other misc + gun skills.

While I regret the loss of macros, I like the interface, music, and voice overs in this version.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like how you can totally keep playing the videogame installed in the Reagan AI's control PC until you beat Mother Nancy's highscore. You get nothing for this, but you totally can do it. She starts peeking over your shoulder and giving you advice after a few tries, too.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just got done with Aspen and I'm level 17/18/19 or so. I really wish the game had some kind of stash you could put inventory item's in you don't want to sell but also don't want to hold onto all the time. I'm getting to the point where my core skills are either 10 or almost 10 on my rangers. My 4 core rangers I've been sticking with and kinda shuffling around my NPC's. There is a bunch of skill overlap in non combat skills from when people joined or left the party and left gaps but It's not really a big deal. I am in desperate need of the full OST being ripped from the game or something because there is so much fantastic music including some really good covers. I'm not at the end of the game yet and plan on wringing from it all I can but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

cheesetriangles posted:

Just got done with Aspen and I'm level 17/18/19 or so. I really wish the game had some kind of stash you could put inventory item's in you don't want to sell but also don't want to hold onto all the time. I'm getting to the point where my core skills are either 10 or almost 10 on my rangers. My 4 core rangers I've been sticking with and kinda shuffling around my NPC's. There is a bunch of skill overlap in non combat skills from when people joined or left the party and left gaps but It's not really a big deal. I am in desperate need of the full OST being ripped from the game or something because there is so much fantastic music including some really good covers. I'm not at the end of the game yet and plan on wringing from it all I can but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time.

the deluxe edition has the ost and yeah, its good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does putting people in the brig ever lead to anything? I put some peeps in there thinking that i might be able to talk to them later and maybe get something out of them but so far it seems they're effectively just removed from the game almost the same as killing them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish trinkets were in the armor category of the inventory so I could find them more easily. Instead they're in the "every god drat thing at once" category.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zeta Acosta posted:

The guide that I at first thought would be a walkthrough is actually all about explaining what happened in the previous two games. If you never played the first one and I doubt many people here have then it has a ton of cool info about what Snake and his band was actually up to.
I also started on one of the novels and it's great schlok, on par with the "better" Warhammer 40k books.
I fully recommend the DLC to anyone who wants to know more about the lore. Although I would advice against using the golden weapons that are part of the package. Felt like cheating.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

The Deluxe only has a fraction of the songs there is a ton missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was actually wondering if my music was bugged

I had a few moments where big tunes played, and then a lot of areas where it seems like nothing is going on musically

I'm running into so much jank though, I don't know what's a bug and what's intended :v: