Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

Herd Immunity will work great after we lose about 2-4 million people!

A small price to pay for college football.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1300020331147653121
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1299562199837478913
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1299471313128452097

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
"Die for football" is a stance so spicy that even Rage Against The Machine finds it implausible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

Laziest approach possible..... check

Not if you work in a hospital!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/business/remote-work-spiritual-consultants.html

"They go by different names: ritual consultants, sacred designers, soul-centered advertisers," reports the New York Times, describing "a new corporate clergy" working as "divinity consultants" and "designing sacred rituals for corporations."

They have degrees from divinity schools. Their business is borrowing from religious tradition to bring spiritual richness to corporate America. In simpler times, divinity schools sent their graduates out to lead congregations or conduct academic research. Now there is a more office-bound calling: the spiritual consultant. Those who have chosen this path have founded agencies — some for-profit, some not — with similar-sounding names: Sacred Design Lab, Ritual Design Lab, Ritualist.

They blend the obscure language of the sacred with the also obscure language of management consulting to provide clients with a range of spiritually inflected services, from architecture to employee training to ritual design. Their larger goal is to soften cruel capitalism, making space for the soul, and to encourage employees to ask if what they are doing is good in a higher sense. Having watched social justice get readily absorbed into corporate culture, they want to see if more American businesses are ready for faith. "We've seen brands enter the political space," said Casper ter Kuile, a co-founder of Sacred Design Lab. Citing a Vice report, he added: "The next white space in advertising and brands is spirituality...."

Ezra Bookman founded Ritualist, which describes itself as "a boutique consultancy transforming companies and communities through the art of ritual," last year in Brooklyn. He has come up with rituals for small firms for events like the successful completion of a project — or, if one fails, a funeral. "How do we help people process the grief when a project fails and help them to move on from it?" Mr. Bookman said.

Messages on the start-up's Instagram feed read like a kind of menu for companies who want to buy operational rites a la carte: "A ritual for purchasing your domain name (aka your little plot of virtual land up in the clouds)." "A ritual for when you get the email from LegalZoom that you've been officially registered as an LLC."

The articles notes there are problems when combining the corporate with the religious.

For one thing, "It's hard to exhort workers to give their professional activities transcendental meaning when, at the same time, those workers can be terminated."

https://mobile.twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1300411714933002240

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Immunity only lasts like 3 or so months.

That Works posted:

Herd Immunity will work great after we lose about 2-4 million people!

Immunity only lasts 4-6 months. Turns out the novel virus is novel

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Naramyth posted:

Immunity only lasts like 3 or so months.

Immunity only lasts 4-6 months. Turns out the novel virus is novel

That's actually not true. There was a big scientific paper a couple of weeks ago that much of the press misquoted. I think I covered it already itt and definitely in discord.

Basically the paper showed that we are certain you have immunity up to 3 months and beyond that it's not statistically certain (yet). This doesn't mean that immunity falls off it just means that the data isn't conclusive either way.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

That's actually not true. There was a big scientific paper a couple of weeks ago that much of the press misquoted. I think I covered it already itt and definitely in discord.

Basically the paper showed that we are certain you have immunity up to 3 months and beyond that it's not statistically certain (yet). This doesn't mean that immunity falls off it just means that the data isn't conclusive either way.

They also found one guy who got reinfected after 5 months and people are interpreting that to mean everyone will get reinfected after 5 months. The paper’s authors are busy trying to clarify that they think it’s an extremely rare phenomenon at this point.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
So just speed running toward all tech companies being the Adaptus Mechanicus that's cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fallom posted:

They also found one guy who got reinfected after 5 months and people are interpreting that to mean everyone will get reinfected after 5 months. The paper’s authors are busy trying to clarify that they think it’s an extremely rare phenomenon at this point.

Yep. Given the sheer numbers of cases and the number of tests done vs the number of potential false positives if reinfection was occurring to any meaningful extent it's almost statistically certain we would have seen it many times now.

Instead before that case all incidents (that I know of) presumed as reinfection were later chalked up as inconclusive or as due to a false positive in one of the tests.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CainFortea posted:

I *think* the joke is more, since trump is running all those "This is Joe Biden's America" attack adds using video from protests happening while Joe Biden is in fact not president, this poster is poking fun at those idiots.

This is in fact the case

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Flying_Crab posted:

This is gross as hell and highly worrying. I’ve been watching far right people talk like this forever, except it now feels like a genuine threat as opposed to fat CHUDs posting on ARFCOM.

If it helps any, Biden's speech today is attacking the thing head-on.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1300439124969652224?s=19

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1300439958952587265?s=19

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1300440010014031873?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 31, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m guessing you aren’t supposed to conclude “things Obama/Biden could not address while in office”

This is truly a miserable election.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing you aren’t supposed to conclude “things Obama/Biden could not address while in office”

This is truly a miserable election.

I've always thought this is idea is both too gentle on federal-level Democrats (full governmental control basically led to healthcare and rescuing the whole drat economy, and that's about it, instead of fixing immigration/elections/etc) and too harsh on them. A lot of the problems of the past 9 years were either during full-blown federal Republican blockades or poo poo that couldn't have been predicted, like the Supreme Court basically gutting the Voting Rights Act.

Basically, a ton of terribles were locked behind thousands of doors, and Democrats left a bunch of them unlocked. It still required Republicans to open those doors and I blame the people opening the doors.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

I keep revisiting this issue in my mind often. At first I was very suspicious of what the military would do. Do you remember when Mattis, Mullen, and other former big wigs all started releasing statements earlier in this year? When I read those statements I got the feeling that there were multiple audiences intended. The military audience was given a message of "be on the right side of history when poo poo hits the fan with this one". I would like to believe that the guys on the line, or at least commanders were able to reach the same conclusion.

That being said, if/when such a thing happens, it will be extremely difficult for people like us to determine who to help (if we are inclined to do so). I would like to say that I was on the correct and just side of this when everything boils over. I just don't know how I am going to determine who stands for what when all of this goes down.

As Beau says, know your neighbor. Those are the people who you will need to work with and worry about when poo poo hits the fan

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

I've always thought this is idea is both too gentle on federal-level Democrats (full governmental control basically led to healthcare and rescuing the whole drat economy, and that's about it, instead of fixing immigration/elections/etc) and too harsh on them. A lot of the problems of the past 9 years were either during full-blown federal Republican blockades or poo poo that couldn't have been predicted, like the Supreme Court basically gutting the Voting Rights Act.

Basically, a ton of terribles were locked behind thousands of doors, and Democrats left a bunch of them unlocked. It still required Republicans to open those doors and I blame the people opening the doors.

They left all those doors unlocked right after watching Karl Rove operate out of the white house for 8 years. Contributory negligence at best.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

They admittedly refused to do anything but gently nudge the levers of power because they were all broke brained West Wing watching idiots who kept telling themselves that the Republicans surely had to come to the bargaining table THIS TIME.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They admittedly refused to do anything but gently nudge the levers of power because they were all broke brained West Wing watching idiots who kept telling themselves that the Republicans surely had to come to the bargaining table THIS TIME.

Not wrong!

But anyways, here's an amazing poll that's right up this subforum's alley:

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1300450173492002823?s=19

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nattowsen/status/1300205715768868865?s=21

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was about come and post the same thing, here's the article it's from: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...vote-for-biden/

Interestingly, officers still leading the way in their dislike of Trump.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Flynn lost en banc.

https://twitter.com/jacq_thomsen/status/1300465509859721217?s=19

His case is back at the judge he hates, and the judge will likely dismiss the whole thing, but the judge is going to inflict pain on the DOJ.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What would be the significant factors decreasing his popularity among the military? I remember the abandoning the Kurds decision being unpopular, are there other reasons?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What would be the significant factors decreasing his popularity among the military? I remember the abandoning the Kurds decision being unpopular, are there other reasons?

Canning the captain of the Roosevelt after their COVID outbreak and sending a lackey (SecDef?)to curse out said captain in front of the crew.

e: sending the Guard to defend the White House didn't seem to be popular either.

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 31, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woodchip posted:

Canning the captain of the Roosevelt after their COVID outbreak and sending a lackey (SecDef?)to curse out said captain in front of the crew.

COVID response in general

Last thing a E-4 wants to do is be deployed to Bumfuck Arkansas to do nasal swabs

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

At least the gap between officer and enlisted opinions on him is narrowing, it felt pretty wide while I was in.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Insisting that the Southwest border reinforcement be a thing despite no budget for it. Which in turn slashed all the west coast facilities budgets by 90 percent for 3 years so money could be found to fly concrete barriers from the east coast to the border and pay to feed “deployments” of active duty troops to stand posts without loaded weapons because they don’t actually have authority to do anything other than advise and assist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Russian bounties too. It's kind of not great when the Russians are paying people to make you dead and your boss isn't doing poo poo about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm sure the stupid parade didn't help either.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CainFortea posted:

I'm sure the stupid parade didn't help either.

Oh man I forgot about that

He wanted a entire armored battalion but only got one Bradley that threw a track and had to be towed the entire way.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

Russian bounties too. It's kind of not great when the Russians are paying people to make you dead and your boss isn't doing poo poo about it.

Anecdotal, but it's been the one thing I've even see borderline Chuds that are still in get pissed off about.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

Oh man I forgot about that

He wanted a entire armored battalion but only got one Bradley that threw a track and had to be towed the entire way.

What inspired that anyway? It's usually (overwhelmingly?) something I associate with oppressive shitholes. Do any semifunctional nations do them? Bastille day parade, maybe?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

What inspired that anyway? It's usually (overwhelmingly?) something I associate with oppressive shitholes. Do any semifunctional nations do them? Bastille day parade, maybe?

the military makes us strong so we must show it off at all times to remind everyone how strong we are because our enemies are great which is why we have a valiant military to protect us from our weakling enemies who can't compare to america

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anecdotal, but it's been the one thing I've even see borderline Chuds that are still in get pissed off about.

That was really bad, hostile foreign power putting bounties on troops and the president being fine with it seems like it should have been a much bigger issue.

It's oddly specific which issues will get through to chuds and make them rethink their worldview. I knew a guy who had no idea Rush was making 9 figures to run his radio empire and that gave him pause. The guy apparently thought it was a NPR situation or something and Rush was only in it to tell the truth and lived a middle class life.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I stopped following Doctrine Man around this time because his page is completely unmoderated and any of his posts even remotely political get tons of posts by chuds. Not sure how many were actually military though, I think a lot of them were just right wing poo poo heads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

He saw the Bastille Day parade in 2017 and thought it looked fun so he wanted to do one in his oppressive shithole.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yea, he saw the bastille day parade in france, and immediately came back to the US and started tweeting about how awesome military parades are.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

This is more niche but he’s also been constantly insulting the intel community since before he was elected, and a lot of that community is active and veteran military.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

I was about come and post the same thing, here's the article it's from: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...vote-for-biden/

Interestingly, officers still leading the way in their dislike of Trump.

it's almost like there is a correlation w/ being educated and not being a CHUD. I'd be curious to see enlisted only numbers broken out by junior enlisted, NCO & SNCOs.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/sta...ingawful.com%2F

He has literally labeled protesters terrorists, so I think "calling on his people to not be a militia" is like asking the sun not to be quite so hot in summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Flying_Crab posted:

it's almost like there is a correlation w/ being educated and not being a CHUD. I'd be curious to see enlisted only numbers broken out by junior enlisted, NCO & SNCOs.

Whoa slow down there with that corrolation. Don't forget 3 years ago the noble class was all about Trump.