Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

that's what tengi horde poland is for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Poland OP:

edit: my only regret is that I cannot get to 100% Cav ratio

Poland is really strong in this patch. Elected monarchy can give you Claim Throne casus belli by event for relevant dynasties. I got a Hapsburg on my throne and claimed Austria's, which meant I got their PU subjects Bohemia and Hungary for free.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TheFlyingLlama posted:

that's what tengi horde poland is for

It's so sad you can't combine hordes with Sich Rada.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Have there been big changes with this latest DLC? I want to get back into EUIV but I'm wary of having to relearn a bunch of stuff

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Phlegmish posted:

Have there been big changes with this latest DLC? I want to get back into EUIV but I'm wary of having to relearn a bunch of stuff

Mostly changed the papacy and the HRE. They did mess around with Estates and add governing capacity, but while they are both pretty big changes, they're rather easy to wrap your head around and in the case of estates, a 'uge improvement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish posted:

The biggest change was how Estates work. At first I really didnt like it, I guess because I'm an old man that hates change, but having been able to use it for a while now I dont hate it. I dont think its the answer for internal management, either, but the new system is nifty in its own way. Governing Capacity replaced State Limit and is a huge improvement. I'd read the wiki on that one rather than relying on me to describe it, but it is an excellent change.

edit: the biggest change is that you can now provoke rebels so you dont have to sit around watching them sit at 90% for decades

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Groke posted:

Welp, got that rare-rear end "form Maya as Huastec" achievement (0.3% of players according to Steam) and it wasn't even hard because you can cheese it.

Hating the racist implication of the New World religious reform system, we set out to fix it without requiring any New World colonizers to reform off of, by exploiting the game system instead. Fought our first wars against those Animist tribes to the west (they are typically slow to get allies) -- conquered one, then fought the other to 100% and made them force-convert us to Animist. Now, no longer primitive, we could dev-push and embrace institutions; during this interlude we expanded a little bit more. Also got full income from gold during this time, built up a nice fat bank account.

Before getting to 100 development, released an Animist vassal from the conquered lands and made sure they had an institution. Then found a small Mayan state to fight, 100%ed them and made them force-convert us back to Mayan. Then force-converted that vassal mentioned just then to Mayan religion to prevent them from passing any more government reforms, and set about conquering some clay in order to pass religious reforms. Not difficult because of huge stack of cash saved up from the Animist years, and a bit of a tech advantage due to having embraced Feudalism.

So it was just a matter of passing a reform, conquering and coring a few provinces, punching the stability button, rinse and repeat. Then finalized the religious reform process off that (still non-primitive) former vassal from the previous paragraph, and turned into a civilized tribal state. After that, just a couple quick and easy wars to grab the specific provinces.

HOWEVER, actually forming the Maya state is a bit of a trap in this situation. Because it gives you absolutely nothing except for permaclaims on the Yucatan and instant Empire status, no new national ideas or missions or anything. And it turns you into a monarchy. Except for taking the achievement and ending the game, the more fun option for continued play would obviously be to remain as a tribe and then go horde and raze everything.

You don't need to fiddle with force-converting to do this, by the way. You can just pass all five reforms, conquer an animist tribe, release it as a vassal (to change its govt type) and then dev push the institution in the vassal's provinces and reform off of the vassal.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

I'm starting to really like this patch because it makes OPM starts so much nicer. Being able to declare CB wars with max troops on Dec 11 before everyone allies all their neighbors makes starting out way less tedious

which CB are you using for this?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

KoldPT posted:

which CB are you using for this?

One of the Call Diet options for nobility gives you claims on an entire state. If you have a different religion neighbor there is a Clergy one you can get as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was watching a chewyshoot stream today and it turns out he's a massive Ben Shapiro-loving chud. That's disappointing. His politics rarely come up in his content but he was parroting talking points about the people recently shot at the protest in Kenosha and also making excuses for the nazis today so I'm now very conflicted about giving him views :(

Also, I just learned that Texas is a tag and it has pretty good ideas. I've never played a colonial nation before but I'm tempted once I finish my forever golden run. Which is getting dull because Spain is insanely strong. I outranked Ming and Ottos by like, 1520.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 29, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was watching a chewyshoot stream today and it turns out he's a massive Ben Shapiro-loving chud. That's disappointing. His politics rarely come up in his content but he was parroting talking points about the people recently shot at the protest in Kenosha and also making excuses for the nazis today so I'm now very conflicted about giving him views :(
I've ditched more than one channel when I learned what a colossal racist/fascist/sexist/homophobe/etc the owner was. Just flush and move on. It's not worth it and there is no shortage of others to watch (might require searching though). :glomp:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
is it just me, or does 'block settlement growth' in your subject menus do jack poo poo? I have to build a church in bani but carribias (inherited from portugal, now my subject, in case that affects things???) has been developing that place for approx the last hundred years and shows no sign of slowing down even at 27 dev with zero buildings
might just release them then fight to take it back - but I'm gonna be pretty salty about it!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think that blocks them using colonists to raise their dev instead of colonizing new provinces, they can still spend mana to dev

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

awesmoe posted:

is it just me, or does 'block settlement growth' in your subject menus do jack poo poo? I have to build a church in bani but carribias (inherited from portugal, now my subject, in case that affects things???) has been developing that place for approx the last hundred years and shows no sign of slowing down even at 27 dev with zero buildings
might just release them then fight to take it back - but I'm gonna be pretty salty about it!

it's very possible that it blocks them from assigning a colonist but doesn't obligate them to remove one already at work. try not blocking settlement growth to see if they'll switch the colonist somewhere else

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

oddium posted:

i think that blocks them using colonists to raise their dev instead of colonizing new provinces, they can still spend mana to dev

yeah sorry i was so busy bitching that i forgot to explain what I was bitching about. they've had a colonist raising dev in bani for ever, regardless of which button I click, and it's preventing me from building any buildings in there

Jazerus posted:

it's very possible that it blocks them from assigning a colonist but doesn't obligate them to remove one already at work. try not blocking settlement growth to see if they'll switch the colonist somewhere else
I'm pretty sure that's what's happening, but it turns out they loving love developing bani and they're just never gonna stop. I've had like 50 years of it on, 50 years of it off, and that dude just keeps on whacking his loving tree come hell or high water

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you're not in iron man you can fix it with the console by switching over to controlling them and then back. Remember to save before and do not under any circumstances unpause the game while doing it (unless you really want to reload the save and do it again). You do not want the AI in control of your country for even a single day tick.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Poil posted:

If you're not in iron man you can fix it with the console by switching over to controlling them and then back. Remember to save before and do not under any circumstances unpause the game while doing it (unless you really want to reload the save and do it again). You do not want the AI in control of your country for even a single day tick.

im in ironman, which is the only reason i care - I need that stupid church for a stupid mission, and the only reason I played as stupidly OP spain was to get the 'do the mission tree' achievement. argh.
Looks like "build a church you fu" (recently renamed from caribias) is about to go through some tumultuous diplomatic times

I guess I could go for one faith, too - is the requirement that every single province in the world needs to be colonized and my religion?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

awesmoe posted:

im in ironman, which is the only reason i care - I need that stupid church for a stupid mission, and the only reason I played as stupidly OP spain was to get the 'do the mission tree' achievement. argh.
Looks like "build a church you fu" (recently renamed from caribias) is about to go through some tumultuous diplomatic times

I guess I could go for one faith, too - is the requirement that every single province in the world needs to be colonized and my religion?

I don't think uncolonized provinces count one way or the other.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
If you get PU'd is there any way to get out of it without changing dynasty?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if the junior partner has a negative opinion of the suzerain when the suzerain dies the junior goes free

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Firebatgyro posted:

If you get PU'd is there any way to get out of it without changing dynasty?

I don't think so, no

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

awesmoe posted:

if there's no provinces to colonise, the AI will never move the colonist off where it's developing. it's extremely loving stupid and nearly derailed my one faith run. the only recourse you have is to release them, conquer them and build the church before re-coring.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think so, no

Yeah RIP my Kinslayer run, atleast it was only 20 years in. This is the one downside of murdering your poo poo heirs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How do I ram up IA in the current build? I just have to punch England and pass Erbkaisertum in my forever golden run except woops... I thought the universal monarchy mission was just "be emperor" and now I have to fix this dumb empire and pass a fuckload of reforms.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How do I ram up IA in the current build? I just have to punch England and pass Erbkaisertum in my forever golden run except woops... I thought the universal monarchy mission was just "be emperor" and now I have to fix this dumb empire and pass a fuckload of reforms.

If I remember correctly you can also disband the empire for that mission which is a lot easier than trying to get reforms passed. Need to have the capital of the emperor occupied and all the electors either your subject or their capitals occupied

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Each time you get re-elected you get 10 IA, so always keep your Monarch on the front lines. The Expand the Empire CB works now as well, and gives huge amounts of IA (also AE). Those and Incidents are the only way to get it in chunks I think.

Other than that just spend all your time enforcing 100% religious unity and wait for it to tick up. There's a bunch of IA growth modifiers in the reform tree, but they might be after whatever you need.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Firebatgyro posted:

If I remember correctly you can also disband the empire for that mission which is a lot easier than trying to get reforms passed. Need to have the capital of the emperor occupied and all the electors either your subject or their capitals occupied

but I already am emperor :smithfrog:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Baby’s first Ironman campaign for me is with England and it’s 1640 and I’m the #1 great power making piles of money with me owning northern France and Gascony as a subject owning most of the rest of France. I’ve got all of eastern North America, the Caribbean, Colombia, coastal west Africa, and now expanding into the spice islands. The Church of England thing where you can abolish the monasteries every year or two for 600 ducats seems horribly broken but I’m not complaining.

I think I need to clean up some of Portugal’s Indian Ocean/Indonesian possessions and then move into India-is there any particular strategy there? With my merchants it is best to have long chains of them right? And controlling the Ivory Coast is still the secret to trade $$$$$? I haven’t played a global trading kind of game in a long time.

Should I core and state everything as long as I have governing capacity, or is there a reason to leave scattered stuff (all these damned islands I keep stealing from Portugal) as territories? Even if I leave it a territory I should still core it, right?

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Baby’s first Ironman campaign for me is with England and it’s 1640 and I’m the #1 great power making piles of money with me owning northern France and Gascony as a subject owning most of the rest of France. I’ve got all of eastern North America, the Caribbean, Colombia, coastal west Africa, and now expanding into the spice islands. The Church of England thing where you can abolish the monasteries every year or two for 600 ducats seems horribly broken but I’m not complaining.

I think I need to clean up some of Portugal’s Indian Ocean/Indonesian possessions and then move into India-is there any particular strategy there? With my merchants it is best to have long chains of them right? And controlling the Ivory Coast is still the secret to trade $$$$$? I haven’t played a global trading kind of game in a long time.

Should I core and state everything as long as I have governing capacity, or is there a reason to leave scattered stuff (all these damned islands I keep stealing from Portugal) as territories? Even if I leave it a territory I should still core it, right?

You should absolutely core everything, otherwise you're sitting on overextension for no reason. Don't state anything though, the new meta is to make basically everything you can outside of your home region into trade companies, both for the additional merchants and because the TC buildings are still bonkers OP.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
everything outside western europe, turn into a trade company. Everything in western europe, turn into a state (and spam courthouses/state houses - I was wrong to ignore these, especially when you're swimming in money)
If you've got total garbage islands somewhere you're never going to touch again then leave them as a territory, but in general if you're going to grow in an area, turn it into a trade company

you want long chains of merchants, yes. IMO the important nodes to control are (in order most to least) ivory coast, carribean, malaccas, then the south indian one (bengal?). then just go nuts since you'll have infinity money

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The South India node is Coromandel but Bengal is important too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
holy gently caress the empire is frustrating. deliberately got unvoted but i can't fight anyone until i peace the elector and the elector-emperor and the second elector i'm sitting on are too fat too vassalize, even though there's no reason i couldn't just take everyone on now and finish this dumbshit cheevo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does the remaining elector have allies outside the empire you can attack?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How did you win against France? I have trouble with HYW even if I can ally (and pull into war, since it's offensive from the event) Burgundy and Aragon.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Private Speech posted:

How did you win against France? I have trouble with HYW even if I can ally (and pull into war, since it's offensive from the event) Burgundy and Aragon.
I did this slightly cheesy opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJB0BLzTprA
Basically, exploit all your mil development/increase autonomy to gain manpower and lower force limit, release Normandy/Gascony and give them all your continental lands and enable scutage so they aren't involved in the war. By exploiting dev/lowering autonomy/releasing vassals you can instantly accomplish the 'rebuild our army' mission before even unpausing which gives conquest CB on Scotland. Declare that war ASAP and now you are just at war with france (who has nothing to attack unless they invade by sea, which you can defeat) and scotland. Beat up scotland, then go park your 30 stack on Paris until you capture Paris, finish the mission that gives you a PU claim on france (I never went to war with them over this), white peace france, vassalize scotland. I think I got lucky with some events that boosted stability and got an heir so the War of the Roses never fired.

I declared bankruptcy later in the game and that caused both Scotland and Normandy to declare independence and that was not a good time. France declared on newly independent Normandy and took half their land, so when I eventually did win the indendence wars, I got a much smaller Normandy. However, all those remaining Norman cores and all the gascony cores were good low AE CBs to lop of more of France once I allied Austria and Castille and France was momentarily without many allies. France has like 3 states now and it :feelsgood:

Speaking of Castille, do they have some insane land combat bonuses or merc bonuses? In a mid 1500s war with them I got stomped anytime our armies fought, even if I outnumbered them 1.5-2:1 and we both had 2 star generals. Their army was mostly mercs, same tech level. In hindsight I may have done some dumb attacking across rivers into mountains in one of those fights, but it scared the poo poo out of me. Are quality and offensive still the best mil techs?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Castile starts with 15% morale of armies in their Traditions.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Basically, exploit all your mil development/increase autonomy to gain manpower and lower force limit, release Normandy/Gascony and give them all your continental lands and enable scutage so they aren't involved in the war. By exploiting dev/lowering autonomy/releasing vassals you can instantly accomplish the 'rebuild our army' mission before even unpausing which gives conquest CB on Scotland. Declare that war ASAP and now you are just at war with france (who has nothing to attack unless they invade by sea, which you can defeat) and scotland. Beat up scotland, then go park your 30 stack on Paris until you capture Paris, finish the mission that gives you a PU claim on france (I never went to war with them over this), white peace france, vassalize scotland. I think I got lucky with some events that boosted stability and got an heir so the War of the Roses never fired.

Oh that sounds like a good strategy! Never thought of abusing scutage like that. Though I'd, uhh, hesitate to call that only slightly cheesy (they specifically patched making vassals from French holdings to avoid the normal war event as an exploit some time back).

Still probably will give it a go myself, the standard war is brutal. It's around 3-4 times my manpower and troops, and I can only call in allies by promising them land since it's offensive.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 31, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

then go park your 30 stack on Paris until you capture Paris, finish the mission that gives you a PU claim on france (I never went to war with them over this), white peace france, vassalize scotland.

you can use the pu during the same war you finish the mission! would really speed you up!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I thought they used to balance the game around the HYW being unwinnable for England? Maybe it's changed, but I had a vague sense that they always wanted England to lose the HYW and then you'd start by rebuilding from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcturas posted:

I thought they used to balance the game around the HYW being unwinnable for England? Maybe it's changed, but I had a vague sense that they always wanted England to lose the HYW and then you'd start by rebuilding from there.
They have used Byzatnium and the HYW to balance things for a long time now, but they have never made anything "unwinnable". They may have made some things functionally impossible for like OPM starts vs large powers, but with something like Byzantum vs Ottomans or France vs England, players will always find a way to cheese it so they simply try to improve balance by fixing crazy exploits that people think of.