Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That’s like... the worst DS9 episode in tv show history and I’ve always wondered how the Jadzia Dax actress felt about it. Warf (now her husband) basically verbally abuses her for the whole show. It had to have sucked and I never understood the reason for the episode even existing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s like...DS9...sucked and I never understood the reason for [it] even existing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It aptly illustrates the "weeb to misogynist trad nationalist" pipeline, so accurately it was probably unintentional

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

Wonder if his little Warf has a ridged head too.

Its actually cannon that Klingons have two dicks. Thanks ST:Discovery.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wow is this a wrong opinion. Do you need a raktajino?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s like... the worst DS9 episode in tv show history and I’ve always wondered how the Jadzia Dax actress felt about it. Warf (now her husband) basically verbally abuses her for the whole show. It had to have sucked and I never understood the reason for the episode even existing.
I've been slowly watching all of Star Trek since it came to Netflix ... and DS9 was one of the better shows I've ever seen, in all of TV. That episode sure was terrible ... butttttt

Nowhere near as terrible as Voyager's season 4 Retrospect, which is possibly the worst TV I've ever seen.

The episode starts with a rape-analogy premise, and just doubles down on getting worse and worse. The entire crew and especially the female captain question the victim's story. Ultimately it turns out her experience was a false memory coaxed by therapy. And the perpetrator, even though he's vindicated, kills himself due to his reputation having been tarnished. Give me a loving break.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

My favorite parts of Star Trek are when characters reference things from hundreds of years ago that nobody could possibly give a poo poo about at that point. Just a Klingon making a 300 year old Earth reference to a Trill.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My favourite part of star trek is whenever they reference historical figures and they list two real life humans and then a crazy made up alien name

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

My favourite part of star trek is whenever they reference historical figures and they list two real life humans and then a crazy made up alien name

I'd like to be a great writer someday, like Shakespeare or Mark Twain or Sh'l'garth of Braxia IV

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Its actually cannon that Klingons have two dicks. Thanks ST:Discovery.

Klingons are known to exaggerate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Klingons are known to exaggerate.

sure but it was visual evidence, not dialogue

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've blocked that from my memory then.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Y'all claiming things are the worst Star trek episodes, but so far none of you have mentioned people going so fast they turn into newts.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah that's not even in the top ten worst episodes of DS9.

Also that episode was hell to shoot because Terry Farell has a skin condition that basically means she's a vampire and can't be in direct sunlight ever.

e: also also Rick Berman was a massive creep to her.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SpacePig posted:

My favorite parts of Star Trek are when characters reference things from hundreds of years ago that nobody could possibly give a poo poo about at that point. Just a Klingon making a 300 year old Earth reference to a Trill.
That is really weird. One that stood out to me was Worf's fascination with ... Minsk.

I kinda like Tom Paris's obsession with the 1950s (I mean we have similar history fetishists these days), and they did a fun episode where his knowledge was just wrong and kept getting them into poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

rydiafan posted:

Y'all claiming things are the worst Star trek episodes, but so far none of you have mentioned people going so fast they turn into newts. Code of Honor.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Y'all claiming things are the worst Star trek episodes, but so far none of you have mentioned people going so fast they turn into newts.

Lol at this nerd who's never driven a car fast enough to turn into a newt.

I got better

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
me during the Nth Star Trek derail:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

That is really weird. One that stood out to me was Worf's fascination with ... Minsk.

I kinda like Tom Paris's obsession with the 1950s (I mean we have similar history fetishists these days), and they did a fun episode where his knowledge was just wrong and kept getting them into poo poo.

Tom paris's love for the 1950s also gave us bride of chaotica!

Actually now I wonder is that episode is the only episode title with an exclamation point in it

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

to be fair maybe in the future we'll just reference things from a hundred years ago, way more often

It'll be much easier to reference old stuff from here onwards because we just record everything now and store it all online. It's harder to relate to random peasant from 1200 years ago because all we got from that time are some scriptures and bad paintings. Hell it's hard to get an idea of things from 200 years ago

500 years from now someone will still be able to watch that embarrassing video you made and get a much fuller and clearer picture of it all

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

That's not dumbledore? That's clearly Magneto from the Justice League

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I always have to check to see if 2020 claimed another victim.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Far future thing making offhand reference to thing from the pop culture of the era when the material is being written" always makes me lol

Like Wheel of Time referencing that wise prophet from thousands of years ago, Ann Landers

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Aug 31, 2020

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The What

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fartbox posted:

to be fair maybe in the future we'll just reference things from a hundred years ago, way more often

It'll be much easier to reference old stuff from here onwards because we just record everything now and store it all online. It's harder to relate to random peasant from 1200 years ago because all we got from that time are some scriptures and bad paintings. Hell it's hard to get an idea of things from 200 years ago

500 years from now someone will still be able to watch that embarrassing video you made and get a much fuller and clearer picture of it all
All existing digital data storage methods are hilariously volatile, both physically and due to their reliance on mutable software for interpretation. Imagine trying to backwards engineer mp4 encoding when the only example you have is a scratched CD containing a backup of some guy's iTunes library he left in a desk drawer that happened to not be near any of the nukes. If he backed it up on a thumb drive that poo poo's gone after 40/50 years just from electron drift nukes or no.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Splicer posted:

All existing digital data storage methods are hilariously volatile, both physically and due to their reliance on mutable software for interpretation. Imagine trying to backwards engineer mp4 encoding when the only example you have is a scratched CD containing a backup of some guy's iTunes library he left in a desk drawer that happened to not be near any of the nukes. If he backed it up on a thumb drive that poo poo's gone after 40/50 years just from electron drift nukes or no.

That's why I convert my favorite gifs to zoetrope. Future anthropologists excavating my house can get stick bugged lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qeburwvO921xfzm0n.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL. This is exactly how I feel. Engage, lipton tea, iced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm always fascinated by these people whose cats just let them do stuff like that without clawing their faces off.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Getting picked up is the worst possible thing that can happen to my cat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Now post the one with people attempting that and getting clawed to poo poo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's low effort but man do I love those trolling t-shirts

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Fartbox posted:

Nah, it's just we're at the end of culture and everything from here on out is remakes and appeals to nostalgia. Future people will reference our media because they'll be watching the same drat things.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

:vince:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Geshtal posted:

Nah, it's just we're at the end of culture and everything from here on out is remakes and appeals to nostalgia. Future people will reference our media because they'll be watching the same drat things.

That has literally always been the case, it's got nothing to do with the current times. If anything, there are way fewer remakes and sequels these days.

The Maltese Falcon got remade three times in ten years. There were seven film adaptations of the Wizard of Oz before the one you've heard of. They put out two James Bond movies within three months of each other