Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My xB actually has pretty good torque off the line so it's funny to gently caress with Mustangs and Challengers. Obviously they're not looking to race me, but if i take off really quick it's like their manhood is being challenged (oh hell no this econobox not gonna beat me!) so they will floor it and fly by me, works every drat time and my son thinks it's hilarious :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It happens in my prius too, I tend to bury my foot at stop lights and anyone in a fancy car next to me tends to respond by also burying their foot because gently caress if they're gonna let a shameful hybrid be in the front!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd love to have a sleeper Prius with a Tesla setup in it or something and just destroy everyone

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

People don't bother racing someone in a bland japanese luxury car. It's about as invisible as it gets, imho.

Did have a guy in a Hellcat Challenger get slightly pissy about being behind me for some reason.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd love to have a sleeper Prius with a Tesla setup in it or something and just destroy everyone

:same:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Well?

Did you win?

Running a dark tint helps to ignore other drivers.

Needless to say.... I NEVER lose. :blastu:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My dumb coyote powered truck is stupid quick off the line and it definitely pisses off a specific type of driver that is generally found in a MOPAR product.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My S2000 is dog slow, but it has a gigantic wing, stickers / numbers from local TT/TA series, 10" wide slicks all around, and is loud so no one really bothers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BlackMK4 posted:

My S2000 is dog slow, but it has a gigantic wing, stickers / numbers from local TT/TA series, 10" wide slicks all around, and is loud so no one really bothers.

The perfect 1337 page car

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

It happens in my prius too, I tend to bury my foot at stop lights and anyone in a fancy car next to me tends to respond by also burying their foot because gently caress if they're gonna let a shameful hybrid be in the front!

The most fun to be had in a Prius

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Crossposting from OSHA thread, alternate fat baby leather diaper

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Basically like the front bench seat of a 60s-70s Lincoln or Buick.

totally would

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, wrong thread for the love seat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chinatown posted:

took all of 48 hours of ownership of my scat pack for someone to want to race on the freeway.

at 8am.

on a monday.

while i was driving to the office.

Funny, nobody wants to race me in my P71 Crown Vic, which is disappointing.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I had an older guy "racing"me on the local boulevard here and I didn't know it until he got my attention to roll my window down. He had a, I wanna say Altima, and said something along the lines of "NOT BAD FOR A FOR CYLINDER HUH?"

Took me a minute to realize he was taking about his car and not my Non-stock STi. I told him I only had a 4 as well and his face dropped a little. Then, once I knew why he had been in my truck for a few blocks, that wasn't an issue anymore.

I know, then everyone stood up and cheered, but it happened and was a good reminder to me that I didn't know everything about cars and don't want to look like an idiot.

And now I'm one of Those Challenger drivers but I try not to be an rear end in a top hat

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

slidebite posted:

Basically like the front bench seat of a 60s-70s Lincoln or Buick.

totally would

:same:

One of the most comfy cars I owned was a beater '82 Fairmont in high school with a bigass bench seat up front. Faded, had a little plastic crown in the back window (no idea), smelled like faint Stetson cologne & ran like poo poo but hey, it was a car & had room for my friends!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is why sleepers are the best. It's not time to race until you say it is at a sanctioned closed course race track.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just don't understand why all the slowest cheapest cars in my neighborhood have to have the loudest wake-the-baby exhaust systems and be driven like assholes, but the few people that have legit fast cars with V8's just rumble quietly by until they get to the main road. Is number of cylinders tied to amount of consideration for your fellow humans?

Or did I find my own solution in describing the exhaust? Is it all people who haven't had a kid that don't mind waking everyone up? Can't be, because I had a loud corsa exhaust on my corvette at age 25 but I still kept it under 2k rpm's in residential neighborhoods at night.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Insignificant people like to make noise so they can pretend like they actually matter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't think it's much different than loud as gently caress stereos tbh, and probably a lot of the same reason.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
have yall watched this because its extreme good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzRIOilJl7M

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

davebo posted:

I just don't understand why all the slowest cheapest cars in my neighborhood have to have the loudest wake-the-baby exhaust systems and be driven like assholes, but the few people that have legit fast cars with V8's just rumble quietly by until they get to the main road. Is number of cylinders tied to amount of consideration for your fellow humans?

Or did I find my own solution in describing the exhaust? Is it all people who haven't had a kid that don't mind waking everyone up? Can't be, because I had a loud corsa exhaust on my corvette at age 25 but I still kept it under 2k rpm's in residential neighborhoods at night.

I guess the people with the genuinely high performance cars often don’t feel they need to prove anything. Using BMW as an example from earlier, I almost never ever see an M car driving like a twat or reviving the tits off in residential streets. It’s always some bellend in a 116d or 318i.

This doesn’t seem to apply to hot hatches though. Pretty much every time I see anything like an Audi S3, Vauxhall Corsa VXR or VW Golf R it’s being driven in a pretty appalling fashion. These were available fairly cheaply through lease deals so I’m guessing that’s why.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Maybe that applies to owners but I used to live right next to a Mercedes Benz dealership and there was always an idiot salesman revving the tits off a C63 or similar. This was back when they had the big n/a V8s so they were bloody loud cars.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Racist Pants-Shitter I had working for me loved the fart can on his Chevy Cavalier.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The wanker near me with the string of lowered fartcan stanced turdboxes didn't become more considerate when his wife had a baby and it got woken up every single time he came or went so no I think some people are just terrible human beings.

I mean how dependant on your lovely car in lieu of a personality do you have to be to know it wakes your baby and stresses your wife out 6 times a day and not think of toning it down a little?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

cakesmith handyman posted:

The wanker near me with the string of lowered fartcan stanced turdboxes didn't become more considerate when his wife had a baby and it got woken up every single time he came or went so no I think some people are just terrible human beings.

I mean how dependant on your lovely car in lieu of a personality do you have to be to know it wakes your baby and stresses your wife out 6 times a day and not think of toning it down a little?

Indeed, reminds me of this, courtesy of the GBS r/Relationships thread.

[Am I the rear end in a top hat] for blasting my subwoofers in my own parking spot during non quiet hours at my apartment complex?

quote:

Posting from a throwaway for whatever reason, just don't want this to blend into my other subs.

So basically my car is my life. I have a tuned Subaru Impreza WRX STI that is my hobby, my transportation, my life, I'm more comfortable behind the wheel than I am in my own bed. Its not quite as fast as I want it but it looks amazing and the sound system is seriously as good as it can be.

I live in a large apartment complex in Tucson, I'm guessing probably 100 units or so. Not sure. Anyways the complex is really cool because a lot of places won't let you work on your car, well I can pay an extra premium every month to get a mechanics spot under shade. It's an extra 2 bills a month but so worth it.

When I work on my car I BLAST my system. It helps me think and focus. Also important to note our complex has quiet hours between and 10pm and 8am, I follow these to the letter but I do need to work on my car so some Saturday's and Sunday's I crank poo poo from 8:01am to 9:59pm. I am not breaking any rules at all.

I moved in in January and this Sunday was apparently a major problem. I had two people ask me to turn it down. I totally did but one came back and said its not the volume, it's the bass, can I turn the bass down. I said I would try but I guess that wasn't good enough because he came down a third time. Finally I told him I paid for the spot, I wasn't breaking any rules, I'd only be out there until 10pm. He said his kids had to go to bed at 8:30 and the bass from my car was rattling his walls. I told him I'd done my best to accommodate him but I was done. He told me he'd call the police (who never showed) and talk to management. I just stopped responding to him and cranked my system to drown our his barking. I worked on my car until 9:59 when I turned my system off.

I got an email from my apartment manager asking if she could come by. She's really cool and I want to help her but I feel like I'm paying extra for the mechanics spot, I'm not breaking any rules and that guy had no right to talk to me like that. She said she managed a nice place and she's gotten complaint after complaint about my car. I told her I was sorry but I was still well within my rights and not breaking rules. She asked me to please consider for her sake using headphones Or earbuds if music is that important to me. I said I'd try,

I worked on my car all night last night and used ear buds and it just wasn't the same. I spent thousands of dollars and so much time to tune my system perfectly and to not use it when I want sucks. I want to help her out but am I even being an rear end in a top hat in the first place?

The follow up a few weeks later.

Update-I guess since everyone thought I was the rear end in a top hat you'll be happy to know my WRX got keyed.

quote:

I'll so loving pissed because it wasn't even a month ago I drove it to Cali to get it repainted and I came out this morning and it has key marks all up and down the side some even down to metal. I stopped playing bass in my mechanics spot so no one had any right or reason to do this. This isn't a touch up job either this will have to be taken to metal and reprimed for it to look right and I don't know about insurance since they don't value a 2001 WRX STI the same I do. This sucks so bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish I was the one who keyed it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At no point was a mention of what kind of car it was necessary to tell the story. That should tell you enough about that guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MY :dramatic pause: ESSSS TEEE EYE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The idea that people with expensive performance cars are quiet respectful sophisticates and only the coarse commoners in their cheap boy racer cars are rude assholes is laughable. Maybe they don't behave that way in your neighborhood, but they definitely do in mine.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

um excuse me posted:

At no point was a mention of what kind of car it was necessary to tell the story. That should tell you enough about that guy.

I picked this name to set people expectations of my posts very low and the specific forum I was thinking of when I picked it was NASIOC. WRX and STi owner are a special brand of idiots. I've owned 2 bugeyes and drive a '15 STi

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My next door neighbor is a cool guy and I like him, he's a single guy and has four vehicles. His work truck (he's a landscaper), a bro truck, a 850 HP sport truck, and a 69 Mustang with a built Windsor. The Mustang and sport truck are cool no doubt....BUT

Every single one of them has a V8 and a loud exhaust and I can't get a loving break from it. Like seriously? ALL FOUR of your loving vehicles needs a loud exhaust? Even your loving work truck? I'm tired of it and I'm not even driving the drat things.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

90s Solo Cup posted:

People don't bother racing someone in a bland japanese luxury car.

About that:

This weekend I wound up at a traffic light maybe 1/8th of a mile before a construction merge next to a kid in a new Camry XSE.
(loving lol WISDOT put a construction sign saying "LEFT LANE CLOSED AHEAD" - so I got into the right lane but it was actually the right lane that was closed!).
If you haven't kept track with what Camrys look like these days - it's this one:

So yeah, I mean - I don't like it, but I applaud Toyota for taking more risks these days with their design language. I've been a Subaru whore until lately but the current Legacy is absolute narcolepsy.

Aaaanyways, owing to WISDOT's loving inability to tell their left from their right, I scooted ahead of the Camry as soon as the light changed. The kid got pissed at me after that but there wasn't much he could do about it since I have something like 2.5 times the torque he does

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sube WRX STD Boy posted:

When I work on my car I BLAST my system. It helps me think and focus. Also important to note our complex has quiet hours between and 10pm and 8am, I follow these to the letter but I do need to work on my car so some Saturday's and Sunday's I crank poo poo from 8:01am to 9:59pm. I am not breaking any rules at all.

But you are pissing people the hell off. Enough to apparently get your poo poo keyed up.

Any other property manager would have put an end to that mechanic's spot poo poo asap.

Gotta admire Toyota for their moxy, but it seems like every Japanese automotive design has this sort of...something...that just pushes it towards a level of weirdness you don't quite get with German or American cars. Or maybe this would work better in a different color. :shrug:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I genuinely like the bight Toyota blue. The local dealership had one and it looked really nice.

Well, that's my hot take. Rack 'em

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

90s Solo Cup posted:

But you are pissing people the hell off. Enough to apparently get your poo poo keyed up.

Any other property manager would have put an end to that mechanic's spot poo poo asap.

Someone once told me if you're going to break the law only break one at a time.

I've had decent luck at apartments and condos with smaller jobs by doing them quickly and quietly while everyone else is at work. Park off in the corner with all the tools you need, work safely, never leave the vehicle in the air unattended. I can justify changing a tire, never mind that I put in a new control arm at the same time.

Terrible car stuff is the mechanic two blocks away went out of business. Too bad, they did good work. It was great to drop off a work vehicle, walk home, and have it done the same day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I genuinely like the bight Toyota blue. The local dealership had one and it looked really nice.

Well, that's my hot take. Rack 'em

The yellow and blue shades you could get on FJ were great and I wish they were available on their other stuff. For a while my local toyota dealer had a prius c on the lot in the "sun fusion" shade and it looked fantastic. Being able to order anything in their fleet with voodoo blue would be even cooler.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I think I've posted about my loud rear end neighbor before. He's a complete deadbeat waste of skin (the day we moved into our house he was in the street in a screaming/cursing match with his wife telling her to go back to rehab while their three young children watched). He has a Trailblazer SS with what I assume is a complete straight through exhaust, no cats or anything (I can smell the thing when he drives by). It's so loud my house vibrates when he starts it, and his house is a block away. When he actually drives by my house, the walls literally shake. He's also almost definitely selling drugs, because he comes and goes dozens of times a day, and is only gone for 10-15 minutes at a time. I thought gig work at first but this routinely goes on until 2am. He also has people stopping by all the drat time and not getting out of their cars while he runs out to them. He also has a helper who drives a Grand Cherokee that's also loud as gently caress, but just from a massive exhaust leak. That thing comes and goes all day too.

So yeah, I get to hear those shitboxes pretty much constantly every day, really loving sucks and I hope he gets picked up for something sooner or later. I feel like such an old man but its unreasonably loud and persistent. I've actually considered going around to the houses close to him to see if they've ever confronted him about it, I cannot imagine how much worse it is for the folks living closer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We have a neighbor that has a very loud exhaust on his Challenger, and he loves ripping out of the neighborhood at like 11PM-12AM.

Really annoying.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

At my last place there was a dude with a straight pipe harley that would idle it for 20-30 minutes at 6 am or midnight almost every single day for no reason and then rev it a bunch with it backfiring. I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a racing exhaust on my car that has a racing engine in it. In the winter I am required to let the warm up complete before driving it. If it isn't obvious yet, my race car is also my daily. I feel horrible for idling for exactly 5 minutes in my driveway, but at the same time my neighbors are all retired, so it's not the most disruptive thing in their lives. My exhaust actually has a high flow muffler for running on tracks with sound limits, but I've even bought a more restrictive, quieter, muffler set up at no small cost for their benefit. It has an electric cut out built in:getin: