Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Syano posted:

Guess I am going to the bank tonight to see what a post-hurricane bite is like. I am guessing pretty ugly. Probably take some small plastics and go real slow and see what happens

saltwater-wise, it's frequently spectacularly weird. After Hurricane Emily they were catching sailfish off the piers on the Outer Banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

saltwater-wise, it's frequently spectacularly weird. After Hurricane Emily they were catching sailfish off the piers on the Outer Banks

That's friggin cool

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Dope as hell

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Syano posted:

Guess I am going to the bank tonight to see what a post-hurricane bite is like. I am guessing pretty ugly. Probably take some small plastics and go real slow and see what happens

That's pretty much the only way I fish. Low, slow, and small baits. Big fish eat small baits!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I lied. I hit my favorite spot and ripped a huge buzz bait. Got a couple decent ones

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone have a Hobie mirage drive kayak? I really want one for fishing and duck hunting. Being able to pedal while casting or prepping my shotgun sounds amazing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

While I don't think there are a ton of kayakers in here, the kayak thread has some hobie owners in it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933069&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

Worth asking there too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

Anyone have a Hobie mirage drive kayak? I really want one for fishing and duck hunting. Being able to pedal while casting or prepping my shotgun sounds amazing.

I have had mine for over a decade now.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Slung Blade posted:

Also, Hobie's patent on the pedal drive has run out, so there are pedal drive systems on a lot of different brands now.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

They still hold the patent on the reverse model though, so if being able to go backwards is something you wanna do then you gotta buy a Hobie.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Syano posted:

I hit my favorite spot and ripped a huge buzz

:weedass:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Slung Blade posted:

I've got a Slayer Propel which does essentially the same thing with less maintenance

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've posted these in the discord but they might as well go here too

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Night dickin'

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Night dick moves

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Night dick moves

Workin' on some night dick

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Help!
I have an old Abu Ambassadeur 5500, not the 5500c, not an Abu Garcia. I don’t know poo poo about baitcasters but want to put it on a rod and use it for baitfishing in deep water for catfish, pike, big trout, walleye, etc.
What kind of line should I use? Braid?
What kind of rod? An Ugly Stik of some sort is my go to big fish rod, at least for a spinning setup.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rythe posted:

I have had mine for over a decade now.

How do you like it? Is it one of the angler models? Do you find it heavy to carry around?

nerox posted:

Also, Hobie's patent on the pedal drive has run out, so there are pedal drive systems on a lot of different brands now.

Got any examples? I can't seem to find any pedal drive kayaks with the under-hull flippers besides on a hobie. There are lots of shallow places I want to get in and out of, having the fins that are nearly flush with the hull appeals to me a lot more than the propeller types.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

https://www.pelicansport.com/us_en/the-catch-130-hydryve

nerox
May 20, 2001

Slung Blade posted:

How do you like it? Is it one of the angler models? Do you find it heavy to carry around?

Got any examples? I can't seem to find any pedal drive kayaks with the under-hull flippers besides on a hobie. There are lots of shallow places I want to get in and out of, having the fins that are nearly flush with the hull appeals to me a lot more than the propeller types.

https://vibekayaks.com/collections/shearwater-125

I just picked up my shearwater today, I did not get the pedal drive because I am eventually going to get a bixby.

It finally stopped raining long enough for me to take it out on the lake behind my house to play around with it. It was quite windy and still tracked well and cut through the chop. I am also 6’3” and about 290 and I stood up on it and it was stable.

Going to try to go fishing with it in the morning.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Help!
I have an old Abu Ambassadeur 5500, not the 5500c, not an Abu Garcia. I don’t know poo poo about baitcasters but want to put it on a rod and use it for baitfishing in deep water for catfish, pike, big trout, walleye, etc.
What kind of line should I use? Braid?
What kind of rod? An Ugly Stik of some sort is my go to big fish rod, at least for a spinning setup.

pretty sure I have the exact same one, I put some 45 lb braid on it I think.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

I have the Outback and it's perfect for river, lake, ponds, inter coastal, ocean and i have fished all of those bodies in it. Storage is nice and easily reachable, built in tackle box and pole holders work well. I have a fish finder installed and I used to have red LED lights for night fishing. I have lived out of it for 3-4 day river trips without worry of over loading it.

I have no issues loading it on my hatchback solo and I have dragged it more than a half mile for fishing without too much trouble, but I consider myself to be in good shape. It's easy to build a cart out of pvc and wheels for dragging though and Hobie is a outstanding company in my opinion.

My kayak developed a crack in the seat pan after 6 years of use and I contacted Hobie, all I had to do was pay $80 shipping through a local shop and they sent me a complete brand new hull. I have used a version of the outback for over 10 years and the only reason I slowed down is I just got a boat for the bigger lakes. Though I rather use the kayak for small bodies and rivers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

There’s a few. Chinese factories are starting to make them so anyone who simply imports from China probably has a knockoff mirage drive yak.

For example: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/NextGen-11-Pedal-Kayak-Bahamas-Melbourne

These have a reputation for being extremely unreliable though so I’d go with a Hobie if you can afford one, even if it means getting one second hand.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Went camping in BFE, Ohio last weekend. The spot had a cute little pond:

With a VERY aggressive snapping turtle about the size of a large pizza:

Tried fishing some of the nearby lakes and didn't have any luck. In hindsight, I shoulda just been patient and watched the pond on the site. Right after sunset on the last night after I had mostly packed up, I saw a couple of catfish who had been hiding all weekend suddenly start aggressively patrolling the shallows by the pier, so I ran back to my car, unpacked my pole and tackle, hooked on one of the last few nightcrawlers I had been chucking into the pond, and got a bite pretty much instantly.

Got some good hiking in, too. It's nice to get out of the house these days.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gay picnic defence posted:

There’s a few. Chinese factories are starting to make them so anyone who simply imports from China probably has a knockoff mirage drive yak.

For example: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/NextGen-11-Pedal-Kayak-Bahamas-Melbourne

These have a reputation for being extremely unreliable though so I’d go with a Hobie if you can afford one, even if it means getting one second hand.

Yeah I was still hoping for a Hobie, but I wanted some competition to bring their prices down a touch. The angler model I wanted was north of four loving grand (Canadian) last time I got a quote from a local seller.

I don't mind paying for quality but I can buy a pretty decent car or two for that money.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How are you gonna fish from a car though

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I was still hoping for a Hobie, but I wanted some competition to bring their prices down a touch. The angler model I wanted was north of four loving grand (Canadian) last time I got a quote from a local seller.

I don't mind paying for quality but I can buy a pretty decent car or two for that money.

Same, or a nicely set up jon boat

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

How are you gonna fish from a car though

Have you not heard of the wonderful Lada with the ice fishing package that lets you fish through the passenger floorboard?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I’m not sure the arrival of competition would bring the prices down that much. Hobie is a good brand and they definitely know it.

Check out some second hand ones. The only real issue that arises in plastic kayaks is cracks in the scuppers which aren’t hard to spot if you know what you’re looking for so it’s much less of a lottery than buying a second hand car. Depending on how old it is you might only pay half or a third as much as brand new, and they’ll generally come with a bunch of accessories so you won’t need to budget for those on top of the cost of a brand new yak.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Have you not heard of the wonderful Lada with the ice fishing package that lets you fish through the passenger floorboard?

Surprised I haven’t seen this in MN in some form.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

All good points, thanks for the advice everyone.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: TGO crossover event :frogsiren:

Strapped my rod to my trusty gravelbike and did a chill 1 hour ride to catch up with my mom so we could go fishing

I got two fair sized mackrell and a small coalfish?? over three hours of fishing. My mom only snagged the bottom. It was a good day :yayclod:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I had a pike bite through my line and swim off with the crankbait still in it's mouth

Only to return 30 minutes later with a splash near the dock to spit it and give the crankbait back to us.

Thanks dude, appreciate that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MacPac posted:

:frogsiren: TGO crossover event :frogsiren:

Strapped my rod to my trusty gravelbike and did a chill 1 hour ride to catch up with my mom so we could go fishing

I got two fair sized mackrell and a small coalfish?? over three hours of fishing. My mom only snagged the bottom. It was a good day :yayclod:

Sup longdrinks, those are some nice fish you caught.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

Sup longdrinks, those are some nice fish you caught.

Sup. Baked the coalfish in the oven today with some taters and veggies

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do tube baits need a specific jig head to work or can I just use some of the round ones I have?

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I'm trying to catch fish. Historically I'm pretty bad at this, but trying to at least finish the summer at the lofty heights of hooking something that isn't the back of my hand. I've had pretty good luck over the years catching bluegill and the occasional little pike or pickerel off the end of the dock using the Canadian Tire rods we have floating around. Sometimes I can even getting a bite on the odd fly if I can get into the swing of things using my dad's old Sage fly rod. But there's room for improvement.

I've decided the best way to improve this so by buying a bunch of kit and talking a big game to the missus. We're canoeing up in Algonquin Park over the weekend, around the western bit, and I'd like to catch something more legit. Trout, ideally, but I'm worried that they'll be way too deep and I don't have a trolling rig. Anything bass or pike shaped would be fine too, but I like the aesthetics of being able to cook a trout on a fire. Below is the tackle box I have, cobbled together from what I had floating around and what I can find at Canadian Tire. Not pictured are a few more wiggly-tail plastics, a few more jigs, and a couple floats. Any thoughts on improving this, or other pastoral advice? I picked up an Ugly Stik and a Pflueger President, and have 6lb and 8lb line lying around

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Honestly? that five of diamonds alone should do the trick - I run a size 0 whenever I get skunked and usually pick something on it for the day. The red/yellow/green spinner will do work for you too - as well as the black meps on a clear water day too.

If you can, grab a cheap popper or two - they're excellent top waters to use when the water is super calm.

Other than that - Wacky rigging has been working for me all summer too - I fish mostly west of Six Mile Lake though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
caught two fish in two casts on flies over the weekend. I mean they were 3-4" baby trout eating anything but still pretty funny to have happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My in-laws' cottage is right near Algonquin and I do pretty much all my fishing there. The Yamamoto worms are good but if you can get your hands on some ned rigs (using the zman TRD) that should pretty much guarantee you a smallmouth. Mepps are usually pretty good for a bite. I catch gently caress all on spoons, crankbaits, and jerk baits but we really only have smallies in our lake. Only time I've caught a laker is trolling in early spring. Once it warms up they're down deep.