Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

Hell I think the gender law this time will even let you just make the world enatic if I remember previews correctly.

Oh wow, it's great if they are offering more customization this time around. I haven't been following the dev diaries very closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Eimi posted:

Hell I think the gender law this time will even let you just make the world enatic if I remember previews correctly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can just start as e.g. enatic and majority-homosexual, but I'm not sure if that will give the existing titles to the highest eligible woman and make everyone gay, or if it'll start things as normal but all the rulers will be naming their daughters as heirs and wondering why they're not showing interest in boys.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I'll be monitoring the thread to see how the reception to the game is! I'm done pre-ordering Paradox games after Imperator's disastrous release, hopefully this has the polish CK2 and EU4 had on release.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can just start as e.g. enatic and majority-homosexual, but I'm not sure if that will give the existing titles to the highest eligible woman and make everyone gay, or if it'll start things as normal but all the rulers will be naming their daughters as heirs and wondering why they're not showing interest in boys.

Would that also change the religious virtues? Because if not it would probably lead to a bunch of rebellions.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just finished a long weekend and gearing up for 4 days full of overtime and no gametime starting tomorrow :negative:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AnEdgelord posted:

CK3 is number 2 on the steam Global Best Sellers list behind Fall Guys

(hugs my little bean game while waiting for the massive download)

e: I just noticed that buying from the Paradox Store gives you way more hats.

Main Game
Garments Of The Holy Roman Empire (bonus)

Expansion Pass:
- Fashion of the Abbasid Court (Available day 1)
- First Flavor Pack
- First Major Expansion
- Second Flavor Pack

Cancelling the steam order now.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Florry just showed inbreeding in the Encyclopedia, apparently if you consistently inbreed throughout the generations you have a chance of getting the "pure-blood" trait, which makes offspring immune to birth defects due to all flaws having been bred out of the bloodline :psyduck:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Main Game
Garments Of The Holy Roman Empire (bonus)

Expansion Pass:
- Fashion of the Abbasid Court (Available day 1)
- First Flavor Pack
- First Major Expansion
- Second Flavor Pack

That's just the royal edition I think? You can pre-order that on Steam too.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Is forming custom nations and empires carried over from CKII? Also, is the Isle of Mann still associated with a titular duchy?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

canepazzo posted:

Florry just showed inbreeding in the Encyclopedia, apparently if you consistently inbreed throughout the generations you have a chance of getting the "pure-blood" trait, which makes offspring immune to birth defects due to all flaws having been bred out of the bloodline :psyduck:

It's my amateur biology understanding that this is about how it would work in the real world, too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, there's 1 pack of clothes you get for preordering the game at all (Garments of the HRE.), and the second one you get from the Expansion pass (Abbasid court.))

Those are on Steam as well.

e: I do like the regional pricing for the game, here in Norway the base game is ~35usd, and the royal edition ~51usd. :toot:

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 31, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Magil Zeal posted:

Ohhhh. No, it's confusing formatting. The bonus content shows up, but in a darker white to signify that it's not included.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SubNat posted:

e: I do like the regional pricing for the game, here in Norway the base game is ~35usd, and the royal edition ~51usd. :toot:

They sometimes update prices at inopportune moments when the exchange rate gets too out of whack, which is also the only reason I'm considering preordering tonight juuuuust in case..

Like the EUR price of €50 converted straight to NOK currently is about 50% higher than the Steam price

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eimi posted:

okay instead of world conquest i wanna see world mandatory gay gynarchy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It's my amateur biology understanding that this is about how it would work in the real world, too.

Of course, there's the Habsburg Failure Mode.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Torrannor posted:

Yeah there's some precedent for it, as there were some aggressively incestuous dynasties in history that ended up more or less normal after awhile.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Would that also change the religious virtues? Because if not it would probably lead to a bunch of rebellions.

Don't know, very excited to find out!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Yeah there's some precedent for it, as there were some aggressively incestuous dynasties in history that ended up more or less normal after awhile.

Basically all those kids who inherited the damaging genes died, leaving the rest with mostly intact genes (and low genetic diversity, which has it's own set of problems). But this only works if you really let the deformed kids die, instead of using your massive wealth to keep them alive because their parents have two sets of titles for the child to inherit.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Of course, there's the Habsburg Failure Mode.

I mean, it kind of requires that you stop letting the defective ones breed.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Got a source on that? Because that's wild and awful.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

there's precedent yes, but it's fair to mention that historians alternatively suppose that a lot of the most incestuous dynasties were just having extremely consanguineous marriages for political/religious reasons (e.g. pharaohs were divine and carried divine blood, and that's something they don't want others to have access to via out-marriages) and that dynastic heirs were actually results from concubines

Torrannor posted:

it works better in species that can have a lot of offspring because you're going to end up with a lot of premature corpses

hard counter fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 31, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm trying really hard not to buy this as I was terrible at ckii, but... More noob-friendly sounds appealing.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm trying really hard not to buy this as I was terrible at ckii, but... More noob-friendly sounds appealing.

It took me 180 hours until I felt that I could make change in the CK2 world rather than just react to what others were doing, so I feel you. Maybe I’m just not particularly great at strategy games, though—in xcom my brain starts straining when I get up to 6 squad members. CK2 had that ‘click’, though, where once you have all of the mechanics and weird rules (oops i pressed a claim for some guy and he made a 1 county petty kingdom and won’t join me) figured out it’s smooth sailing, so hopefully this makes it easier for people to get to the okay level.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone put together a list/summary of what was carried over from CK2 and what was left behind? Even though it's been like two years since I played CK2 (and based on my attempts at Monarch's Journey challenges, I remember nothing), I'm still kind of curious what the big picture carry over was.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nessin posted:

Has anyone put together a list/summary of what was carried over from CK2 and what was left behind? Even though it's been like two years since I played CK2 (and based on my attempts at Monarch's Journey challenges, I remember nothing), I'm still kind of curious what the big picture carry over was.

Please read the very second post in this thread :(

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

I’m in the same boat, I’ve always really liked the idea of CK2. I pick it up and play a game every once in a while and have fun but never felt like I really got a good enough grasp on it to really get the most out of it. I think I’m going to cave and buy CK3 though because CK2 but more noob friendly sounds great.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

LordMune posted:

With a tem outta :tem: from IGN, I consider the stain on my reputation that is their 6.3 review of Stellaris erased.

edit: there u go

I didn't think your reputation was stained because Stellaris is still my favorite and I have over 2000 hours in it :shobon: That first fact may change though given what these reviews of CK3 are saying :eyepop:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Any good streams?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's come up before in the thread, but I really really like how well made and varied the character avatars are.
The screenshots in the IGN review show off a couple asian and middle-eastern characters as well. ( https://www.ign.com/articles/crusader-kings-3-review )
And it's just nice to see such breadth in character looks without the characters looking 'off', it's obvious they put a lot of work into it.

I'm super curious as to how easy/difficult it'll be to add clothing and body/face morphs/tweaks. It would be very neat to see fashions come and go in eras, as well either through mods or as part of cosmetic or primary DLC.
A shame the clothing seems to come as premade sets, as opposed to supporting multiple parts / varying materials, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that's something that eventually gets implemented later on.
(I think I saw the clothing editor pop up in one of the pre-release videos, where it's just a list of the various clothing sets + a hat.)

Does Paradox tend to give out modding materials + references to build off of, with their first-party stuff? It would be kind of fun to make some clothes and etc for this if the importer/setup isn't too tedious.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I was sorta meh on having full bodies and 3D faces but now that we can play Pretty Princess Dress-Up with our characters (we can pick their clothes right????) I'm more onboard. It's also clear they put a lot of effort into the art.

Which makes me wonder: will we be able to have men dress as women or women dress as men? Would be interesting if you could take a female character and have her disguise herself as a man so she could be a knight/general.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I'm really amazed at the 3D models. I was super skeptical when they first announced them but wow, they really made it both work and be an incredible improvement over portraits.

Edit: Oh looking at the streams it looks like pretty much all the game rules are back. Custom kingdoms, shattered world/random faiths is in too. Although it also looks like you can rename any title you hold at any time as well.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 31, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

axeil posted:

(we can pick their clothes right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289TqIqDLJQ
@ 9m:29s You can edit (I assume anyone in your direct 'household' as it were.) the clothes characters have.

I assume it overrides whatever they get by default from position + culture etc.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

Stellaris is still my favorite and I have over 2000 hours in it :shobon: That first fact may change though given what these reviews of CK3 are saying :eyepop:

Paradox thinks it's a good idea to release CK3, but the joke's on them. I won't have to buy another game for the next 10 years!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Well well well guess who found out that their company has Friday off for a 4 day weekend? Getting the long socks and large-mouth water bottles out of the ol musty closet.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SubNat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289TqIqDLJQ
@ 9m:29s You can edit (I assume anyone in your direct 'household' as it were.) the clothes characters have.

I assume it overrides whatever they get by default from position + culture etc.

Ah good to know. I still wonder if we can have female characters with high intrigue + martial change their clothes in an attempt to become a knight like Joan of Arc did. That'd be a neat playthrough.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Ms Adequate posted:

I didn't think your reputation was stained because Stellaris is still my favorite and I have over 2000 hours in it :shobon: That first fact may change though given what these reviews of CK3 are saying :eyepop:

hello to my new favorite poster

Zeron posted:

Yeah I'm really amazed at the 3D models. I was super skeptical when they first announced them but wow, they really made it both work and be an incredible improvement over portraits.

The art team truly went above and beyond. We all did; this is not a game Paradox Dev Studio could have released as late as just a couple of years ago. Not that there won't be missteps and disappointments (in other titles) in the future, but I feel CK3 has fundamentally transformed the games we make and how we make them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dramicus posted:

Paradox thinks it's a good idea to release CK3, but the joke's on them. I won't have to buy another game for the next 10 years!

Joke's on you, that's what the DLC is for!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

The art team truly went above and beyond. We all did; this is not a game Paradox Dev Studio could have released as late as just a couple of years ago. Not that there won't be missteps and disappointments (in other titles) in the future, but I feel CK3 has fundamentally transformed the games we make and how we make them.

Of course I haven't played the game yet, but just watching it being played has been so interesting. It really looks like CK3 is a masterclass. It's looking like you guys have a lot to be proud of.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Joke's on you, that's what the DLC is for!

FOILED AGAIN! BLAST!

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

LordMune posted:

Congrats on making what looks to be a phenomenal game, and I was also on the Stellaris train from the start! I'm curious though, what changed internally to allow for the kind of shift you speak of? Is it simply good project management and tech investment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

By the way, do you know if there's going to be an exporter of some kind to help with getting 3d models into the game?
Like how there is a maya plugin to allow for exporting the animated portraits in Stellaris?

3D is a slightly different beast than regular script+image based mods, after all.