Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

like i said, if we had more examples of beat em ups where you're playing a girl rescuing her boyfriend then the original ending wouldn't really be a problem. it's an issue because they were selling the game as "look, we're inverting this trope!" only to then double back on that to be like "psyche!" the "crazy pretend girlfriends" thing doesn't really work when we don't have any works that are just regular girlfriends to begin with

I agree. Hearing about the "twist" made me less interested in the game. There aren't enough games where women get to be straight-up heroes.

Pretty good posted:

Whoever talked up Curious Expedition a few pages back, thank you, it rules. A++ looking forward to many more hours spent dying from colonialist hubris and giant crabs

I'm intrigued by this game, but the vibe in the trailer seems really sinister, especially the music. Is that the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys maybe don’t give a poo poo about anything anyone says Nintendo-wise until Nintendo actually announces it. For all we know everything that seemed exciting news may have been wrong all along and Nintendo doesn’t actually have anything interesting planned.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lobok posted:

Finally got a Ring Fit Adventure and all we had to do was drive 2.5 hours out of the city. Thankfully we already were doing that because of a trip and an electronics store just happened to be a half-block away from the place we're renting and they had some in stock.

Congrats on the Ring Fit, but I'm really posting to compliment your gif selection + avatar combo. Outstanding work.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DorianGravy posted:

I'm intrigued by this game, but the vibe in the trailer seems really sinister, especially the music. Is that the case?

HP Lovecraft is a playable character. The short answer is, yes Curious Expedition is the kind of game where your expedition mates can go insane from hunger and eat each other. It gets quite dark. There is also a lot of themes of colonialism, a different kind of darkness.

In other news Invisible Inc. is on sale for the first time today! This is the best Xcom on switch:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/invisible-inc-nintendo-switch-edition?format=digital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZinfWT98Q

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Has Nintendo ever broke an announcement early because of leaks? If not, then everything is bullshit until Nintendo actually says so. Everyone's so thirsty for new content they'll speculate forever until one of their batshit predictions comes close enough for them to say that they knew it all along.

Don't forget to subscribe and SMASH that like button!

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 31, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

HP Lovecraft is a playable character. The short answer is, yes Curious Expedition is the kind of game where your expedition mates can go insane from hunger and eat each other. It gets quite dark. There is also a lot of themes of colonialism, a different kind of darkness.

In other news Invisible Inc. is on sale for the first time today! This is the best Xcom on switch:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/invisible-inc-nintendo-switch-edition?format=digital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZinfWT98Q

Counterpoint: It's not at all like XCOM aside being a game with an isometric camera and a movement grid. I bought Invisible Inc years ago because so many people compared it to XCOM and it's one of the most disappointing video games I've ever played. I've tried so many times to get into it but nothing I do makes me appreciate that game. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I think it's very dishonest to compare it to XCOM.

If it's your kinda game, I'm super happy for you! :D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

Counterpoint: It's not at all like XCOM aside being a game with an isometric camera and a movement grid. I bought Invisible Inc years ago because so many people compared it to XCOM and it's one of the most disappointing video games I've ever played. I've tried so many times to get into it but nothing I do makes me appreciate that game. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I think it's very dishonest to compare it to XCOM.

:rolleyes:
Well if thats your thing actual Xcom 2 went on sale too, I guess

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/xcom-2-collection

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
What is the best place to just get like official Nintendo news into my veins without a lot of fluff articles and continual marketing tweets.

The Nintendo Twitter seems okay,but you get a lot of mobile game and ad posts in between. But that's been my usual go to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samurai Sanders posted:

And I don't remember the last time I've seen a JRPG where level 80 or something is the expected end game level.

the last story basically did this but it also had upscaled exp, so you could reach it in like 20 minutes even if you were super underleveled

e: also basically every tales game, and the star oceans

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 31, 2020

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zurtilik posted:

What is the best place to just get like official Nintendo news into my veins without a lot of fluff articles and continual marketing tweets.

The Nintendo Twitter seems okay,but you get a lot of mobile game and ad posts in between. But that's been my usual go to.

Gonintendo.com has been my go-to for literally 15 years now

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
anybody heard of Paradise Killer? it's an open world murder mystery game that takes place in a city pop-infused Suda 51-like setting. tried the demo on steam and it is 100% my jam. comes out on friday
https://youtu.be/3xcrK8HAH8s

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

the last story basically did this but it also had upscaled exp, so you could reach it in like 20 minutes even if you were super underleveled

e: also basically every tales game, and the star oceans

Most Tales games I've played tend to cap out at 60 by endgame.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

psychoJ posted:

anybody heard of Paradise Killer? it's an open world murder mystery game that takes place in a city pop-infused Suda 51-like setting. tried the demo on steam and it is 100% my jam. comes out on friday
https://youtu.be/3xcrK8HAH8s

Supergreatfriend had a look at the demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2i0RQMfJY

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Having played more of Windbound it really feels like a demo or something that should be in early access on Steam.

Winds are important for sailing but they just change randomly and at times seem to be actively stopping you from going into an island you need to go to. That would be fine in an open world game where you just go wherever or if the sailing was actually dangerous. But it isn't so that's just busywork. You can't go overboard in your boat/catamaran and if it topples over it just automatically pops up the right way again. When you jump off your boat it just stops right there so you can't even lose it when you're out at sea. There is a bug which makes your character fall halfway inside your catamaran and you get out only by pressing A to stop sailing. You pop out to sea and the boat just stops. Because you can't topple over it doesn't even make any difference what kind of boat you build for yourself. There are jellyfish which randomly pop up and disappear again and they will electrocute you even if they just hit your grass boat. It does next to no damage though so no big deal.

There are 3 materials to build your ship from, the weakest and the strongest ones are available right from the start, the middle one (bamboo) appears on some islands and I didn't get any until the end of the game. I had built a vessel from the strongest material after playing maybe 20 minutes. There are 2 different ranged weapons, slings and bows. They also break after a while! For slings you can find ammo anywhere but it's hard to aim, cannot shoot far and does almost no damage. Right after the intro bit you get an unbreakable bow. Bows shoot really far and do massive damage. You can craft arrows from branches and you'll never run out. I'm not sure they did much testing on this game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can’t tell when I’m playing hypnospace if I’m running into actual bugs or if it’s part of the game

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

not a bot posted:

Having played more of Windbound it really feels like a demo or something that should be in early access on Steam.

That's disappointing to hear. The game looks lovely, and the sailing focus is compelling. However, I'm not a fan of procedural-generation, which seems to just result in a lot of same-y content. Do you have any issue with the procedural-generation?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can’t tell when I’m playing hypnospace if I’m running into actual bugs or if it’s part of the game

you should ask Professor Helper for help

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Not a Children posted:

Gonintendo.com has been my go-to for literally 15 years now

This is almost comically undercomplicated for a site in 2020.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like it.

Seems a little more fleshy on desktop vs. the mobile page. But still very straight and to the point on a lot of stuff.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

After a couple runs spread over around three hours of playtime: yeah.

For example... one of the major gameplay mechanics is that you occasionally come across indigenous shrines and temples, and you have the option of swiping the shiny artifacts within. The tutorial stresses that doing this will cause bad things to happen. The first few times I did this, the consequences were pretty straightforward – volcanoes sprouting out of the ground and causing wildfires, the surrounding area turning into an uninhabitable wasteland, etc. But I've had a few properly unsettling sequences, like the one where a black hole appeared in the air above the altar, and as I moved away, a massive chunk of the map was engulfed by bubbling nothingness that I didn't dare get anywhere near. And all of these events are conveyed via colourful pixel art paired with dry and matter-of-fact writing, all while there's this evocative but indescribably off soundtrack playing.

Again, early impressions, but I'm really digging it so far. The content is very trope-y, but it's the tonal dissonance between the overall presentation and what's actually happening that sells it.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

DorianGravy posted:

That's disappointing to hear. The game looks lovely, and the sailing focus is compelling. However, I'm not a fan of procedural-generation, which seems to just result in a lot of same-y content. Do you have any issue with the procedural-generation?

The islands are very same-y and I am sure I've encountered the same exact island a few times. You pretty much know what to expect when you're sailing there. Each island has a beach you can park your boat in and the rest of the island is surrounded by tall rocks you can't climb over. After the first intro chapter each island has one bigger enemy (I only encountered 4 different types) from whose bones/skin you can craft some useful tools. Then there are some boars and rabbits, trees to cut down and grass and flowers to pick up. Some food too. And that's basically it. There are 3 islands in each chapter which has a stone tower you have to ascend but you can see them from far away.

Also there is no real climbing in the game and the glider shown in the trailer is only used when you jump off a stone tower. I imagine it was added to the game because the movement is a bit finicky and it's easy to fall down the tower when going down.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zurtilik posted:

This is almost comically undercomplicated for a site in 2020.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like it.

Seems a little more fleshy on desktop vs. the mobile page. But still very straight and to the point on a lot of stuff.

Happy to share it. They do have a tendency to post a lot of fluff material but I love their minimum of editorializing. It's just straight up press releases for the most part, they cordon off rumors to their own section, and they quickly post retractions/corrections as needed

e: And the site owner is a genuinely good guy that credits all of his sources

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

you should ask Professor Helper for help

I already did that one :v: had to get it on purpose to solve a case. I just had my headband Brick and everything get glitchy

They sent me a fixed one but my scroll is broken on every page now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is Windbound good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wildtortilla posted:

Does it have turns? Then it's XCOM

:goonsay:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Augus posted:

is Windbound good

Everything I hear about it reminds me of the initial release of No Man's Sky.

Like the post a few up from yours.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
SoR4 and RCG seem like fine beat 'em ups but we need the Scott Pilgrim game on modern consoles.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Wildtortilla posted:

What can you tell me about Ashen? It's kinda been on my radar for awhile. It looks Soulsy. Is it a good Soulsy?

Well, I enjoy it and it got surprisingly decent reviews which is surprising as it didn’t get much hype, compared to mortal shell, which is a much smaller and less ambitious game made by a similarly sized team. However, it does have a few fundamental differences from the souls games which might be a turn off for some people, but like Mortal Shell, there’s no leveling, or like, your ‘souls’ you collect are used to upgrade weapons, buy items, buy more Estus chugs, etc. and there’s only really like two types of weapons, one and two handed melee weapons. There’s no magic, or anything, but you have stamina, health and different sort of rune/ring slots to choose from like Souls. You increase your health and stamina by finishing quests, which are basically just ‘get to this point on the map and talk to this npc, and also you find hidden items that increase health and stamina.

the game is open world, but there’s no towns or anything, it’s just sort of a sprawling landscape that you find bonfires at and then several dungeons with bosses at the end. There’s a cool central hub that’s basically firelink shrine, which is a cool area that serves as a little settlement for the group of NPCs you meet and it gradually grows as you finish quests, you’ll come back and find that they’ve built or added onto structures.

So yeah, basically it’s less Souls-y in that it’s open world, there’s not much customization as far as builds go, there’s not really even ‘builds’, but you can customize your character using different runes/rings, weapons, armor, but it’s not really an RPG like the Souls games.

There’s a neat passive multiplayer mechanic that allows people to join you without the need for summon signs, etc., basically if you’re on the same quest that your friend/the other person playing is also doing and you join the same ‘world’, so unlike dark souls you won’t have to wait around to summon someone, or if you wanted to co op the whole game, it counts toward the progress for both of your games, so if you kill a boss together, you’ve killed that boss in both of your respective games.

So yeah it’s more casual, but it’s fun and can be chill. I don’t like open world games really, but for some reason, this one clicked with me, probably due to the lack of stuff that’s in almost every other open world game. Here’s a couple of more in depth reviews to check out:
https://youtu.be/Zxq2CtyJFBQ
https://youtu.be/pCJmeQyJk1E
https://youtu.be/aihOenIyKVY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

SoR4 and RCG seem like fine beat 'em ups but we need the Scott Pilgrim game on modern consoles.

I loved the sprite graphics and music but found the game itself a chore to play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I loved the sprite graphics and music but found the game itself a chore to play.

Same but also with River City Girls. Streets of Rage 4 is much better than both imo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same but also with River City Girls. Streets of Rage 4 is much better than both imo.

Maybe it's because I only tried in single player (lol) but I could not get into Streets of Rage 4 like everyone else. I need to give it a 2nd chance at some point, only one character having a dash messed with me way too much. I beat Scott Pilgrim with a friend on the 360 a long time ago, it was awesome but new beat-em-ups were kind of rare then.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what made it click for me was going into the police station level as the robo arm guy and slamming dudes into the ground in time with the music. good poo poo

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Imhotep posted:

Ashen words

Hey I really appreciate this. That open world combined with dungeons sounds pretty great. Dragon's Dogma and BOTW came close but not quite. What I want is an open world with dungeons hidden all over. I want to find a new area, explore it, uncover a dungeon, and then dive down into it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Fly Ricky posted:

Can anyone comment on the “big HUD” mode or whatever it is that apparently is a feature of Hypnospace Outlaw to make it easier to use without a keyboard/mouse (I got rid of all my wired poo poo years ago). It was mentioned in the Nintendo Life review.

I played the demo but didn’t see that option, and found it kind of clunky moving the mouse around with the default control scheme. Cool game though.

Big HUD mode makes the HUD (the thingy with the settings, app menu (basically a start menu), hypnocoin, date/time, restart, & log off buttons) larger so the buttons are easier to press in Touch mode or if you're using the motion pointer. Touch, IMO, is the best way to play on Switch in portable. I think I even prefer it to a PC setup. Keyboard/Mouse support is separate and works the same as it does on PC.

There's definitely a limit to how nice you can make a cursor on a gamepad but the default control scheme has lots of buttons that allow you to scroll through pages, alt+tab through windows, and other things so you don't really need to use the cursor quite so much. I'd suggest fiddling with those more if you're interested. And of course the right stick snapping to the nearest button is nice once you acclimate.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you think you have a legit bug or if something crashes the game (not a fake in-game crash, like, crashes you to the Switch menu) please report it here in the Bug Reports channel! http://discord.gg/hypnospace We're working on patches right now and would love to get as many of these knocked out as we can. :)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 31, 2020

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Hmm it's pretty late in the day on Monday and already Tuesday in many parts of the world. I don't think Nintendo is going to announce anything :thunk:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Maybe it's because I only tried in single player (lol) but I could not get into Streets of Rage 4 like everyone else. I need to give it a 2nd chance at some point, only one character having a dash messed with me way too much. I beat Scott Pilgrim with a friend on the 360 a long time ago, it was awesome but new beat-em-ups were kind of rare then.

Dash isn't as necessary as you may think, and as much as I love playing as Cherry, bouncing around the screen takes some practice to keep the rhythm. You can get some insane combos with her just because your bopping from enemy to enemy, but she's a bit frail and her aggressive movement can actually be impractical at times.

I'd say Blaze is probably my favorite to play overall, but they're all good and if you keep playing you'll unlock a few more characters and definitely the first unlock you get is actually probably the best character in the game.

Weedle posted:

what made it click for me was going into the police station level as the robo arm guy and slamming dudes into the ground in time with the music. good poo poo

The boss being a bit of a pain is the only issue with this stage. Playing it whenever is just a blast.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

The combo system is top notch for a beat em up too. Making it so enemies bounce of the boundary of the screen instead of having to wait for them to come back on screen is genius design.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It turns out Children of Morta has an options to make the text and UI larger and things are much better now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Wildtortilla posted:

Hey I really appreciate this. That open world combined with dungeons sounds pretty great. Dragon's Dogma and BOTW came close but not quite. What I want is an open world with dungeons hidden all over. I want to find a new area, explore it, uncover a dungeon, and then dive down into it.

Dunno if you've ever played any of the Elder Scrolls games, but that's them in a nutshell.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

In Hypnospace Outlaw I got a white screen after logging in after the mindcrash, had to restart the game just to get past it but there is nothing to do, I think I was supposed to get an email or something? Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

This, if it didn't have videogame historians upset that it couldn't be bought it would be a shovelware game everyone forgot about.