Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I can do low effort 9th edition if people really want a new thread but this thread OP is a craft of love and very well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So is the citadel paint app dead? It hasn't been updated for the new paints or models since November.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is the citadel paint app dead? It hasn't been updated for the new paints or models since November.

Who the gently caress knows at this point. I'd love to see it updated but I'm not exactly holding my breath for it to happen.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got some more characters done!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finished one of the new Sororitas Retributors, and was thought that I would snap a quick picture next to one of the older models. I guessed they would be glaring, but this is some real 'Bring your Novitiate to work day' energy:

So, definitely not using mixed squads. It's not too bad on the table, and I think that if I get the base enlargers for my old ones and use the chance to put some sort of spacer underneath it won''t really be noticeable until models end up next to each other, so it's just a little amusing and not a real problem.

I am tempted to buy a new Hospitaller just to put her next to the old one; the original model is petite even by old sister standards, and the new Hospitaller is a really big flashy piece so it'll be even sillier.

I have a similar issue with my Orks because they date from 1992 - 5e, but I just say those little guys are new recruits to the Waagh who haven't had time to grow big 'un stong yet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's what worries me most, the idea GW will come out with a new plastic cadian kit which makes my dudes look like children by comparison. I think if that happens I'll just buy a bunch more infantry squads so I know I'm never going to run out.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

moths posted:

It's one of the most over-the-top goofy-cool 40k items ever, the servo-skull tape measure!

Hold up, what?!
Where can I get one of these?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Thanks for posting, moths, and thanks for everyone who entered the raffle. Keep your eyes peeled, I’ll probably be back with another when 10th edition drops!!!!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hold up, what?!
Where can I get one of these?

I think it was from a special edition from 5th ed or something. I remember seeing it before at least.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It came out with 6E as a limited edition extra. My group bought one along with the rulebook.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Kitchner posted:

It's what worries me most, the idea GW will come out with a new plastic cadian kit which makes my dudes look like children by comparison. I think if that happens I'll just buy a bunch more infantry squads so I know I'm never going to run out.

Beats looking like the current model abominations

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I painted up an assassin!

I could go into a big spiel about why I went with bright yellow for an assassin, but I really just wanted to try out the yellow ink over pink primer method. I rather like the effect, though I may go with a bit more white primer over the pink before I hit it with the yellow. But this still looks quite nice. I do wish I'd gone over the mini more carefully before painting. Because I bought it second-hand, I didn't have a really good feel for where the mold lines were, and I didn't see them until after I'd gotten the basecoats down. I really didn't feel like redoing everything, so they ended up staying on.

Another casualty of the second-hand market, the end of the hair bit had fallen off at some point. I decided to replace it with a skull. It's hard to see, but I also freehanded a little sigil on there for funsies.

The blade is done in Turbo Dork color shifting paint. The effect is a bit better in person, though from a lot of angles it just looks like a metallic blue. I think it would have worked better on a more curved surface. Still, I don't hate that color of blue and it contrasts well with the yellow.

The hair was done with the reaper red hair triad, which works fairly well, and a final highlight of ivory.

Overall, not the greatest mini I've ever painted, but I did learn a lot. And I think I can say it's very different from most people's callidus assassins.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Bright yellow assassin reminds me of Scud.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I think that yellow is amazing. Seriously, I hate working with yellow but that's just outstanding.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tommunist posted:

I can do low effort 9th edition if people really want a new thread but this thread OP is a craft of love and very well done

You could copy and paste the existing OP and just change some of the content

The original poster is pretty much never coming back as far as I know

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ineptmule posted:

Whatever happened to SRM? I enjoyed the posting of his painted plastic mans.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
He's probably busy with the bad cast social media and stuff. He still posts his dolls on insta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEaEfa-nGVx/?igshid=10dt9rbqweel0

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

ineptmule posted:

You could copy and paste the existing OP and just change some of the content

I thought about this but theres alot of pictures of peoples minis and stuff like that that I dont want to just use without permission.

I'll have a look around and see what I can do tomorrow

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What do you guys do when you're a few test models in and just don't like your paint / base scheme at all? Not happy with any of my Horus Heresy-esque DG, never been a fan of any 'official' studio scheme for anything ever, don't love any of the alternate schemes in codex. I guess I could just say to hell with it all and do some random rear end colors :shrug:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sab669 posted:

What do you guys do when you're a few test models in and just don't like your paint / base scheme at all? Not happy with any of my Horus Heresy-esque DG, never been a fan of any 'official' studio scheme for anything ever, don't love any of the alternate schemes in codex. I guess I could just say to hell with it all and do some random rear end colors :shrug:

Flip through pinterest for inspiration

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Sab669 posted:

To your specific point, have you seen the pre-Mortation Dusk Raider scheme? It's similar to Heresy era space wolves but I don't know if I've seen anyone actually go for it.

I went through the same process with a new set of necrons recently. I knew basically what I wanted for a scheme but had trouble executing it to get the look I wanted. My first test model was totally repainted twice, and I started a second to work on two different looks on various sections simultaneously to see if I could get one I liked. Eventually I ended up somewhere I was happy with and the rest of the squad will probably take as much time to paint as these first two models did.

At the end of the day they are your models and you should paint them how you want without being too beholden to the fluff. When you have a final paint scheme you can just work backwards to create an in-universe reason for why their armor is painted that way: honoring a seminal event ala Deathwing, adapting to a specific planet's conditions like the "night pattern" used by the Howling Griffons on one of the Badab worlds, or some specialized subset of the legion like the Templar Brotherhood of the Imperial Fists before they were broken off into their own chapter are all established examples.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was not familiar with the Dusk Raiders, no. Incidentally someone just painted a Plagueburst Crawler in that scheme on reddit the other day though; https://www.reddit.com/r/deathguard40k/comments/ij4mgs/first_plagueburst_crawler_for_the_grandfather/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sab669 posted:

Try posting in the painting thread for help/inspiration? I usually run schemes through there if I have doubts. Also, definitely don't feel bound to any official or lore-based scheme. Paint the way you want to, even if you are using a specific chapter or legion it's simple to say 'this is a successor' or 'there was a discount at the armor detailing shop and the chaptermaster went WILD'. If you have a hankering for a color or scheme, go for it!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
420 pick your own colors every day.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I posted the first 2 in the painting thread, haven't posted the third because on camera it looks drat near identical to #2 :v:

I think I'm gonna pick up some variety of brighter Contrast paints and play around with those. Maybe Yellow or Pink or... drat it I can't decide :negative:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I spent way too long on this, but it's my first Thousand Sons model and I was experimenting a bit. I sprayed Army Painter Gunmetal and then tried a zenithal with Army Painter Plate Mail, but the Plate Mail wasn't bright enough so I had to highlight the areas I wanted super bright blue with Citadel Stormhost Silver before applying Talassar Blue. I'm going to work a little more on the staff and base. I think I'm happy with the color scheme, I'd just like to add a bit of pink here and there to really get the unsettling appearance of these going, and some gradients but I'm not confident enough to do that yet. Do the silver edges work well? Not sure if I should stick with traditional gold for the rest of the squad.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks dope. I love contrast-over-silver, looks so good and it's so easy.

I think the silver and gold balances the model out really well, but I'd like to see one all gold just for comparison.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Floppychop posted:

Whatever happened to SRM? I enjoyed the posting of his painted plastic mans.

He and Dan/Sex Cannon did a whole podcast episode about SAdotcom a couple of months ago. They're both pretty much done with internet forums in general, but still write columns for goonhammer and post their models on Twitter and Insta.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think for a new OP it would be good to get some photos of models from people active in the thread between us all we must have nearly all the factions.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cross Post of my recently finished Primaris:

Professor Shark posted:

Finally finished this trio before work starts up:

This gin-tpoper-and-magnet-and-coin set up that I started using is working out really well!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-postin

richyp posted:

Working on a Baneblade/Shadowlord for them to ride around in at the moment.

This one:

The Leman Russ from the other day looks tiny in comparison

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

EdsTeioh posted:

He and Dan/Sex Cannon did a whole podcast episode about SAdotcom a couple of months ago. They're both pretty much done with internet forums in general, but still write columns for goonhammer and post their models on Twitter and Insta.

Sounds interesting, do you have the episode name?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Mugsbaloney posted:

Sounds interesting, do you have the episode name?

It was a patreon exclusive ep, #24.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

richyp posted:

x-postin

This fuckin rules.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Is there a kit bashing thread?

I've got Iron Warriors and Squats I'm working on and would like some feedback. Plus I need help finding more dwarf bits :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Demilich posted:

I've got Iron Warriors and Squats I'm working on and would like some feedback. Plus I need help finding more dwarf bits :(

I take it you're using a lot of Kharadon Overlord parts?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

The Demilich posted:

Not specifically, no. If they're for 40k, :justpost:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I take it you're using a lot of Kharadon Overlord parts?

I actually started with the BloodBowl Dwarf team, but I did pick up the Arkanaut kit as well because I wanted more dwarves.
My issue is I hate steampunk and the AoS dwarves are swimming in it. I hate the helmets the Arkanauts came worn and would like to swap them with uncovered bearded heads, but finding those seems impossible. The only site I've seen that has any stock at all is megabitz, and the selection is pretty limited.

I also need dwarven shields as well. If I can't find any that aren't a ripoff I might go with the Van Saar energy shields I guess. Not too sure honestly.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

oh there's a ninth edition now

I haven't played since seventh and I don't remember much beyond the core stuff, how's ninth looking? Improvement or Age-of-Sigmar-ification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

richyp posted:

x-postin

This is so good.