Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I did this slightly cheesy opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJB0BLzTprA
Basically, exploit all your mil development/increase autonomy to gain manpower and lower force limit, release Normandy/Gascony and give them all your continental lands and enable scutage so they aren't involved in the war. By exploiting dev/lowering autonomy/releasing vassals you can instantly accomplish the 'rebuild our army' mission before even unpausing which gives conquest CB on Scotland. Declare that war ASAP and now you are just at war with france (who has nothing to attack unless they invade by sea, which you can defeat) and scotland. Beat up scotland, then go park your 30 stack on Paris until you capture Paris, finish the mission that gives you a PU claim on france (I never went to war with them over this), white peace france, vassalize scotland. I think I got lucky with some events that boosted stability and got an heir so the War of the Roses never fired.

I declared bankruptcy later in the game and that caused both Scotland and Normandy to declare independence and that was not a good time. France declared on newly independent Normandy and took half their land, so when I eventually did win the indendence wars, I got a much smaller Normandy. However, all those remaining Norman cores and all the gascony cores were good low AE CBs to lop of more of France once I allied Austria and Castille and France was momentarily without many allies. France has like 3 states now and it :feelsgood:

Speaking of Castille, do they have some insane land combat bonuses or merc bonuses? In a mid 1500s war with them I got stomped anytime our armies fought, even if I outnumbered them 1.5-2:1 and we both had 2 star generals. Their army was mostly mercs, same tech level. In hindsight I may have done some dumb attacking across rivers into mountains in one of those fights, but it scared the poo poo out of me. Are quality and offensive still the best mil techs?

Reformation era Castille or Spain? Spain gets their insane era bonus of -33% shock damage taken. Castille just has normally good military stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
You really don't have to do anything cheesy to win the HYW as either side.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Firebatgyro posted:

You really don't have to do anything cheesy to win the HYW as either side.

Assuming you're playing with Cossacks, then how do you do it as the England?

I've tried about 5 times, the furthest I got was by getting Burgundy to ally with me and promising them land concessions to enter the war (which is pure luck that only happened once out of the 5 runs, other times they rivalled me from start or even joined up with France). I've also managed to peace out Scotland beforehand in that same run, but even then I'm stuck facing France and the vassal swarm with depleted manpower reserves and eventually just get beaten down.

Winning as France is obviously completely trivial.

e: As a typical example in my best run I'd try to siege Paris with stacks+allies totaling 38k troops, but before I can finish the siege France+vassals roll up with a fair few K more and it's uhh, well, nice knowing you. I should mention I'm also playing on ironman I guess.

I don't even have trouble sinking the French fleet or anything, it's purely (re)conquering the mainland that's the issue.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 31, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Byz runs aren't even particularly hard nowadays because Ottomans start the game weaker than they used to

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Private Speech posted:

I've tried about 5 times, the furthest I got was by getting Burgundy to ally with me and promising them land concessions to enter the war (which is pure luck that only happened once out of the 5 runs, other times they rivalled me from start or even joined up with France). I've also managed to peace out Scotland beforehand in that same run, but even then I'm stuck facing France and the vassal swarm with depleted manpower reserves and eventually just get beaten down.

e: As a typical example in my best run I'd try to siege Paris with stacks+allies totaling 38k troops, but before I can finish the siege France+vassals roll up with a fair few K more and it's uhh, well, nice knowing you. I should mention I'm also playing on ironman I guess.

I don't even have trouble sinking the French fleet or anything, it's purely (re)conquering the mainland that's the issue.

The cheese has changed from patch to patch, but one of the main ways to do it sans fromage is to not actually fight the war for Maine (either cheese it or just give it to them) and then complete the mission and fight them later. France will quickly amass rivals and all of them will ally you and be willing to fight offensive wars.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah, fighting France at a time of your own choosing is obviously going to be easier than jumping right in when the Maine event triggers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cheese has changed from patch to patch, but one of the main ways to do it sans fromage is to not actually fight the war for Maine (either cheese it or just give it to them) and then complete the mission and fight them later. France will quickly amass rivals and all of them will ally you and be willing to fight offensive wars.

I guess that's fair enough, I was mostly hoping to win the actual event war. And yeah I don't think I'd have trouble fighting the war ~30 years later if I could, it's the combination of bad starting position, low manpower, no starting allies and offensive war where your mainland provinces get immediately occupied which makes it difficult.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Yeah getting Burgundy on your side will definitely make it easier.

The thing is your troops are straight up better than France's in 1444, you get 10% ICA and they get nothing. From the start you should put your focus on Mil and get a +dis or +morale advisor, and get the +1 mil from estates. Go around peacing out whoever France is allied to and then once you have Tech 4 (well before them) start destroying their stacks and win the war.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The thing I’ve realized playing England is that for the most part long wars are your friend and you just have to not lose for a while. Luckily, England is great at not losing because they have a giant gently caress off moat around their core provinces and a good navy to defend it. If I’ve been ‘losing’ a war, I run back home and hide and eventually whoever I’m fighting’s allies get tired of the war and will peace out and now I only have one enemy to fight.

I kept Normandy on scutage until I annexed it and Gascony was for a very long time too, basically just so I had no provinces that anyone could siege from the continent. Historically England was pretty good at letting other people on the continent do the fighting for them until they swept in the kill, so I tell myself I’m doing that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The thing I’ve realized playing England is that for the most part long wars are your friend and you just have to not lose for a while.

Yeah this is true of EU in general. Like the ideal war would actually be to declare war, do nothing while the Length of War modifier ticks down, peace out all their allies, and then attack your actual target. Playing as England on your island makes that very workable.

It's one of the things I like so much better about the CK2 war score system; achieving the war goal (generally occupying territory) actually matters.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
any tips for Bologna to Texas/Mexico cheevo? I keep getting stuck between a giant Venice and a giant Genoa.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I won the war triggered by the maine event in 1.27 or so, ironman mode, without any serious cheese and with no allies. I get that it's probably harder now with the new vassal setup, but maybe it's still doable. Don't just try to march a doomstack on paris. Flex your naval might and fight mostly from the seas. Land in normandy, draw france's troops north, then try to rush down a fort in the south. Then draw their troops south and do the same in the north. Eventually you'll notice that they've split their troops. Use that opportunity to try to wipe them, using your entire army. When I did this on an older patch, I managed to eventually wipe their entire army off the map by only fighting them when they had split up. I was able to then siege down Paris while making sure they couldn't amass too many troops at once.

So, this strategy might be impossible with 1.30's vassal swarm setup. That's a lot of manpower pools to deplete and capitals to take. On the other hand, depleting manpower now actually does things against the AI, so maybe this is still doable if you manage to whittle them down enough. Also, I feel like calling in allies before you have cut the French army down to size would make them a liability. I probably wouldn't call them in at first.

edit: by "the south" I mean gascony. Don't bother sailing all the way around Iberia. The key to this strategy is mobility. And when I say to take some forts, I'm sorta assuming that you'll lose your mainland forts pretty quickly, but you can also take them back pretty quickly. Don't be afraid to spend some points on a naval barrage or two if you see an opportunity. The main idea is to maintain your ability to effectively be the mole in a wack-a-mole game for France until you've split their army up enough to defeat.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 31, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Some very good advice here, I'll give it another try tonight and see how far can I get!

I did try the hit and run for a while, managed to occupy almost the entire northern half of France, even waited on the Burgundy a bit - but I never did try to split their stack, that might work. I even defeated their stack once, but it was at a numerical disadvantage and with them having far more manpower than me it was a losing proposition anyway, one bad battle was all it took. Either way I'm going to try again and post a trip report.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

I think I remember seeing somewhere that you can cheese the "Surrender of Maine" event by releasing Normandy. But probably the best thing is just to give them Maine, deal with the War of the Roses, and get together with some of the very large number of majors that hate the French.
It occurs to me that you could probably force the French to transfer their vassals to you(assuming you can get the relevant age perk unlocked and a favorable war arranged before the Reformation fires in ~1490), which would enable you to turn at least part of their vassal swarm against them. Should be satisfying, if nothing else.

It's been a really long time since I played England though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

They patched that out according to the wiki, but you can do the scutage trick as someone quoted above.

As a partial trip report - after 6 restarts Burgundy rivals me every time. Also England doesn't have noble estate to get a bonus from, as someone suggested earlier; that said I'm still going ahead with it.

Worst comes to worst I'll do the cowardly thing and wait a bit, but it would be nice to win legitimately.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What DLC do I need to not make units get black flagged when I declare war and they're somewhere with military access. I'm trying to invade England via Scotland here!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Second partial trip report - focusing on Scotland and exploiting the mainland provinces for manpower/deleting their forts went much better. I guess vague recollections of EU3 ticking warscore were pushing me to invade the mainland back even though there's no need. I'm pretty much the only one with any navy anymore, Scotland has been thoroughly murdered and I'm building up to go back into France. Managed to dodge the war of roses by killing off my initial king via making him a general when I had a decent heir.

One small issue is that Castille is currently being re-reconquista'd hard by Morocco and Granada. Which, while neat to see, doesn't exactly make me feel great about the future of our alliance.

e: Part three, tried to split their army but even after wiping one 9k stack even half of their army (including vassals) beat all of my army handily. Looks like it's not that simple - the main issue is that I can't peace out their vassals and they all have 8-10k troops each, while France has almost as many as I do. Maybe if I were more patient and managed to get enough favours to use allies I might have a chance, but as it is it's very difficult to win against 2.5x the troops. And the ticking war exhaustion is a factor after all, even if it takes a while.

e2: Part four, had to accept a lesser peace after my army got caught by a doomstack from FoW - on the plus side I only lost 3 provinces. Even the hit and run tactic doesn't work terribly well - despite peacing out Provence France and vassals had close to 80k troops according to the war screen, along with a big manpower advantage (this was about 20 years into the game), which is just really hard to beat. Possibly could have done better by first forming GB and leaving France be, the war may be costly in terms of war exhaustion but what can you do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 31, 2020

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Private Speech posted:

They patched that out according to the wiki, but you can do the scutage trick as someone quoted above.

As a partial trip report - after 6 restarts Burgundy rivals me every time. Also England doesn't have noble estate to get a bonus from, as someone suggested earlier; that said I'm still going ahead with it.

Worst comes to worst I'll do the cowardly thing and wait a bit, but it would be nice to win legitimately.

Oh yeah I forgot their weird government form.

Get a start where you can ally Burgundy then make a copy of the save file. That way if you die and need to restart you don't have to reload the game a million times to get a good start again.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sri.Theo posted:

What DLC do I need to not make units get black flagged when I declare war and they're somewhere with military access. I'm trying to invade England via Scotland here!

There is no DLC. You have to call Scotland into the war for your units not to be black flagged.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Can you still do the thing where you load blag flagged units onto boats, move them to see, and then back to port one day later to clear the black flag status?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

There is no DLC. You have to call Scotland into the war for your units not to be black flagged.

Ah dammit. I’m new to the game and thought I’d seen people on YouTube do that.

PittTheElder posted:

Can you still do the thing where you load blag flagged units onto boats, move them to see, and then back to port one day later to clear the black flag status?

Problem is England would destroy my fleet in a second. Probably shouldn’t have started my first game in Ironman mode.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TropicalCoke posted:

any tips for Bologna to Texas/Mexico cheevo? I keep getting stuck between a giant Venice and a giant Genoa.

Always be on the lookout for opportunities abroad. I got lucky and could jump a weakened and friendless Tunis in my run. Conquered it all and released a friendlier vassal than the old Tunis ever would've been. Integrate, keep pushing south if Naples decides to be dumb and free themselves, otherwise try and make friends with Austria and punch Venice, whom they're usually rivalling.

You only need very few provinces to form either nation, so time is on your side for this one. Getting to the new world was something I didn't do until the 1700s, where I tore enough of Mesoamerica from the Spaniards in a war (which I let Austria win for me) to form Mexico right there.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 31, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Ah dammit. I’m new to the game and thought I’d seen people on YouTube do that.

Problem is England would destroy my fleet in a second. Probably shouldn’t have started my first game in Ironman mode.

it was changed a few patches ago, if you were watching an older video then yeah it used to be allowed. i still get armies exiled by this once in a while due to old habits.

realistically if the english received word of the french mustering troops and boats, then they started sailing toward scotland, the english navy would deploy in force and it would all end in tears for the french without any formal declaration of war

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

To transport units to a friendly Scotland, you can sacrifice your heavies and lights by baiting the English navy into fighting them (hopefully in a sea zone not bordering English territory because of their ridiculous naval doctrine) which will attract all their nearby stacks. Then zip your heavies transports into a Scottish port, making sure you have both military access and fleet basing rights. Usually works fine because the AI can't prioritize right.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 1, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

He means zip the transports.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nice, I finally got maps of Europe, let's see what's going on...

Okay...pretty normal, nice to see Two Sicilies...why is Commonwealth #1? Hmm, you'd think Austria would be a great power as well...or France...

Oh...:stare:

Edit: Nevermind, Europe sucks.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 1, 2020

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Also I'm double posting, but gently caress it, another cheevo down. :toot:

All those forts look disgusting, even if they are only level 2.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Detheros posted:

Also I'm double posting, but gently caress it, another cheevo down. :toot:

All those forts look disgusting, even if they are only level 2.

the AI will path through them all unobstructed anyway

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Node posted:

the AI will path through them all unobstructed anyway

What seriously? That sucks.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
That is not true.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-1st-of-september-2020.1414436/

More SEA stuff. I'm loving Siam's +1 Cavalry fire.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Siam looks like a top tier tag.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I wonder what government forming Siam gives you because those are some real nice horde ideas

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

I wonder what government forming Siam gives you because those are some real nice horde ideas
It's not really steppe horde geography but maybe an elephant horde?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all geography is horde geography, some is just better horde geography

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any fun nations that can peasant republic while still being relevant enough not to have to spend decade after decade after decade only checking enemy alliances hoping for a chance to actually do something? Honestly playing as the Iroquois was less boring than my latest Europe attempts. Because at least then I got to watch colonies slowly tick up instead of gently caress all because of things like a lovely OPM with 5 development and a 2k army being considered a critical day 1 ally of loving Poland.

:sigh:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Poil posted:

Are there any fun nations that can peasant republic while still being relevant enough not to have to spend decade after decade after decade only checking enemy alliances hoping for a chance to actually do something? Honestly playing as the Iroquois was less boring than my latest Europe attempts. Because at least then I got to watch colonies slowly tick up instead of gently caress all because of things like a lovely OPM with 5 development and a 2k army being considered a critical day 1 ally of loving Poland.

:sigh:

Dithmarshen is pretty much your only choice, East Frisia is in the same starting situation without the mission tree.

The start really isn't that bad, you have like 10 different OPMs you can fabricate on and you can get even more claims from the first mission. In some weird world where there is literally no one that doesn't have an impossible alliance, just slam that restart button and try again.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A lot of those OPMs are in a trade league and/or free cities however. Unless there is a way to get around that.

Firebatgyro posted:

In some weird world where there is literally no one that doesn't have an impossible alliance, just slam that restart button and try again.
Impossible alliances seem to happen way too often for me (probably confirmation bias). But I was foolishly hoping for something that didn't rely on restarting until I get a decent start. It's so boring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

Impossible alliances seem to happen way too often for me (probably confirmation bias). But I was foolishly hoping for something that didn't rely on restarting until I get a decent start. It's so boring.
It might be confirmation bias for me too but I see the AI do absurd alliances specifically to screw me over all the time. The only time I see Poland ally Bosnia is when I am Serbia. The Ottomans never ally anyone in Arabia unless I am in the middle of trying to conquer it, ect ect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For my 1.30 Dithmarschen run, my opening move was to no-CB Riga, which put me at war with Hamburg and Lubeck without Austria's involvement (I think I made them co-belligerents? can't remember, maybe not), as well as one or two other German OPMs that joined the hanseatic league. This was a move I stole from one of florryworry's streams. Now, sure, this sounds like suicide, but what you have to remember is that power in this game is meaningless if it's not concentrated. I merced up, went over force limit, and crushed each individual enemy army 1 on 1, then went on to annex hamburg and vassalize lubeck, spacing out the peace deals out enough to narrowly avoid a coalition. This set me up to be the preeminent bully of Northern Germany. Especially with Lubeck as a vassal. Tell them to direct their trade power to you via the vassal interaction, and you'll be making shitloads of trade income. Do not annex them until far later in the game.

I wish I knew more about the specific timing of when I declared the war, but I can't remember the details anymore. I know I deved up Dithmarschen at some point, but I can't remember if this war was something I did within the first year or if I waited for mil tech 4.

tl;dr: just win, lol