Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Ccs posted:

Somebody mentions seeing him at the first meeting though and they don't mention he's Kantic. You'd think with the racism in the Union that would have been one of the first thing they noted.

I think Abercrombie is a bit uncomfortable with how he handled the Gurkish in the first trilogy, which is why he's trying to integrate more of them into the narrative like Zuri, and dispense with them as the main villains.

I'm halfway certain that Zuri and her brothers are going to be eaters. She may have had to go get them as backup because things are heating up in the union. Whether they are fleeing Ghurkul or Bayaz or agreed to work for Bayaz or Glotka I'm not really sure about. It would be just like Bayaz to keep an eye on the next generation of rulers/money witth a trusted servant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Terror Sweat posted:

Who says Khalul is a kantic

The books do, according to the wiki.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The books do, according to the wiki.

Okay I just did a quick search through the books and bayaz says that khalul was from the south, which does shoot a bullet through my theory, but it’s not dead yet! Maybe he’s changing his appearance or nobody got around to describing the weavers skin yet. Rikke saw a bald weaver with an endless pocket, which could describe the weaver or just be describing bayaz as he’s always spinning webs, no mention of race. And the dude was cut off when interrogated by our POV practical

quote:

“Never heard his name,’ said Malmer. ‘Never really saw his face, but—”
He was cutoff, what if the but was, ”but he was from the south.”

This is the quote that really makes me doubt it’s bayaz

quote:

“There was a man, at the first big meeting I went to. Risinau was so … respectful of him. Awestruck, almost. Like a priest who’d had God turn up to his service. Risinau pointed him out while he was talking. Called him the founder of the feast. The reason we were all there. But he didn’t say a thing. Just watched.”
Every human we’ve seen who ever met the prophet and talked about him speaks in reverence to him, as a religious figure. Whereas with Bayaz he’s more feared than loved. The people who listen to the weaver become true believers, and who fits the bill better than the man who founded a nation through religion

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terror Sweat posted:

Okay I just did a quick search through the books and bayaz says that khalul was from the south, which does shoot a bullet through my theory, but it’s not dead yet! Maybe he’s changing his appearance or nobody got around to describing the weavers skin yet. Rikke saw a bald weaver with an endless pocket, which could describe the weaver or just be describing bayaz as he’s always spinning webs, no mention of race. And the dude was cut off when interrogated by our POV practical

He was cutoff, what if the but was, ”but he was from the south.”

This is the quote that really makes me doubt it’s bayaz

Every human we’ve seen who ever met the prophet and talked about him speaks in reverence to him, as a religious figure. Whereas with Bayaz he’s more feared than loved. The people who listen to the weaver become true believers, and who fits the bill better than the man who founded a nation through religion

Trick question: it’s Tunny, ready to bring his long-laid plans for a revolution of the proletariat to fruition. :ussr:

e: or Bald Half-Dead West’s Revenge.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Okay, it could be Khalul, that would be a fun twist. But still weird for the common people to revere someone from the south when their nation just fought a big war with them 20 years ago.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ccs posted:

Okay, it could be Khalul, that would be a fun twist. But still weird for the common people to revere someone from the south when their nation just fought a big war with them 20 years ago.

20 years is a long time, especially since the union's fought multiple wars in the meantime. Northmen are working in the city along with styrians and those wars are more recent

Edit: according to Abercrombie the third book is almost done, just some minor editing left, the man is incredibly reliable for a popular fantasy author. It's going to be called The Wisdom of Crowds. Get ready for a revolution everyone:dukedog:

Terror Sweat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 16, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Being from the South doesn't necessarily mean Khalul is Kantic, he could be "from the South" in that he was assigned the Great Southern Library all those generations ago.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Being from the South doesn't necessarily mean Khalul is Kantic, he could be "from the South" in that he was assigned the Great Southern Library all those generations ago.

Nah, bayaz says he was from the south when talking about how they met, and then later says he was assigned the southern library in the same story

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Biggest mystery for me is how anything from Sharp Ends is going to tie into the new trilogy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

For real, I came into the trilogy thinking that Shev and Javre would be main characters or at least POVs

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ja_dig/status/1284130662551781378

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
That cover is great and a welcome departure from the normal Abercrombie style. Also yeah even though I like returning to these beloved environments from the past and seeing how it all ties in with the previous books, I was pretty disappointed we didn't get a Shev and Javre trilogy too

I feel like he probably took some sick pleasure in that switcheroo

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The SubPress covers for all of Abercrombie's books have been great.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I suspect Javre or Shev (probably Javre) will make an appearance either in this trilogy or in a later stand alone book when some POV character visits Thond. I don't know if it can stay an out of the way place since there was more magic in their 4 swords (and there are probably more) than in the entire 6 books, except for the Seed blowing up Adua.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey, six weeks until the next book!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Artonos posted:

I'm halfway certain that Zuri and her brothers are going to be eaters. She may have had to go get them as backup because things are heating up in the union. Whether they are fleeing Ghurkul or Bayaz or agreed to work for Bayaz or Glotka I'm not really sure about. It would be just like Bayaz to keep an eye on the next generation of rulers/money witth a trusted servant.

I'm dead certain they are. One of the bigger giveaways being she casually dismisses Eaters as fiction, when they had become a scourge of Ghurkul that was impossible for people not to know about.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
yea half the thread thinks bayaz is an eater tho so don't be too sure

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Suxpool posted:

yea half the thread thinks bayaz is an eater tho so don't be too sure

Wouldn't put it past him. The only law he respects is power

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I've just been informed by my brother that his name is glokta, not glotka. My life is a lie

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
listen to the audiobooks narrated by pacey. even if you've read the books 6 times already and have never listened to an audiobook it's a great way to experience them

pacey absolutely lives up to the hype

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Preview of The Trouble With Peace up. Scroll down, look for "full text": https://joeabercrombie.com/books/the-trouble-with-peace/

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Another preview excerpt was posted yesterday, following Savine, exclusive to Forbes for some reason:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/08/28/read-an-exclusive-chapter-from-the-trouble-with-peace-by-joe-abercrombie/#528800a04111

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I am very hyped for this book, it’s too far away

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Terror Sweat posted:

I am very hyped for this book, it’s too far away

I can't complain with the speed in which Abercrombie churns out book after book.

Ah, who am I kidding. It IS too far away... :(

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://joeabercrombie.com/progress-report-august-20/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

quote:

Just saying. Book 3, now officially called The Wisdom of Crowds, 

:guillotine:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 31, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And with a September 2021 release date already, you have to love an author who can make and stick to a schedule

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

“Incredibly mesmeric and brilliant. The trouble with reading Abercrombie’s newest book is that there’s no more new Abercrombie book to read.”

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A bunch of people who had it pre ordered in Germany have theirs already after a mistake at the retailers.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

poo poo, I'm just going to be empty and devoid of purpose again after reading this book? What a rip

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Third sample chapter is live, starring Gunnar Broad.

https://www.grimdarkmagazine.com/excerpt-the-trouble-with-peace-by-joe-abercrombie/

For someone who's essentially working as a thug and strikebreaker for capitalist exploiter, he's quite compelling character.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Joe has also posted a synopsis of the first book if like me you’ve forgotten most of it and cant be bothered to read it again.

https://joeabercrombie.com/previously-in-the-age-of-madness/

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warden posted:

Third sample chapter is live, starring Gunnar Broad.

https://www.grimdarkmagazine.com/excerpt-the-trouble-with-peace-by-joe-abercrombie/

For someone who's essentially working as a thug and strikebreaker for capitalist exploiter, he's quite compelling character.

Why wouldn't he be?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

Why wouldn't he be?

He's complicit in horrific exploitation of the proletariat, and in his inner narration he admits that he enjoys doling out brutal violence. That makes him an utterly horrible piece of poo poo.

And yet I somehow find him sympathetic, and hope he can turn his life around. Joe's real good at writing characters like that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Warden posted:

He's complicit in horrific exploitation of the proletariat, and in his inner narration he admits that he enjoys doling out brutal violence. That makes him an utterly horrible piece of poo poo.

Being a horrific piece of poo poo doesn't mean you can't be a compelling character.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Vichan posted:

Being a horrific piece of poo poo doesn't mean you can't be a compelling character.

I don't disagree. Abercrombie has many such characters, and most are exceedingly well-written.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If you only want to read about good people doing nice things, Joe Abercrombie is not for you.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warden posted:

And yet I somehow find him sympathetic, and hope he can turn his life around. Joe's real good at writing characters like that.

I'm just surprised you're surprised by him being compelling. There's no viewpoint character in these books who hasn't been. Writing interesting people who are also morally repugnant is arguably Joe's strength.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm just surprised you're surprised by him being compelling. There's no viewpoint character in these books who hasn't been. Writing interesting people who are also morally repugnant is arguably Joe's strength.

I'll try to explain my reaction a bit.

Logen Ninefingers was a barbarian anti-hero former champion of a tribal chieftain. That's pure fantasy lit character, yes?

Gunnar Broad is a traumatized war veteran and a brutal strikebreaker and a thug committing horrible acts of violence upon workers to keep them down. That poo poo has actually happened a lot in real life, and it is still happening in developing parts of the world. gently caress, past generations of my family were victims of men such as him. Men like him murdered close to two hundred people in less than four years ostensibly during peace-time and got away with it in my homeland. Men like him were used to violently evict families during coldest winters when people tried to organize strikes. Great-grandma married such a man, which didn't go down well with her brothers, one of whom had lost an eye to that kind of man.

Perhaps it is understandable why I have a strong, visceral reaction towards such a character and would normally be strongly disinterested in reading about his escapades. Yet he's so well-written (like almost every Abercrombie character) I can set aside my instinctive revulsion.

BananaNutkins posted:

If you only want to read about good people doing nice things, Joe Abercrombie is not for you.

You probably were using passive voice "you" and not addressing me specifically, but I've read every Abercrombie book, and liked each and every one of them. Heroes is my favourite, and Best Served Cold is my least favourite, although it grew on me on re-reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated everyone in Best Served Cold too much to enjoy the book, but I like all the other books. There is a line for me haha.