Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe you can split it with him after if it helps ease your conscience.

e: under the table, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
If they gave bounties for turning in tax fraud I'd send snitch letters to the IRS every week. Same to the police for driving like a psycho.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nonexistence posted:

If they gave bounties for turning in tax fraud I'd send snitch letters to the IRS every week. Same to the police for driving like a psycho.

Good news!

https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-informant-award

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Almost passed out from the surge of blood to my IRS enforcement unit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Information About Submitting a Whistleblower Claim

Who can get an award?

The IRS may pay awards to people who provide specific and credible information to the IRS if the information results in the collection of taxes, penalties, interest or other amounts from the noncompliant taxpayer.

The IRS is looking for solid information, not an “educated guess” or unsupported speculation. We are also looking for a significant Federal tax issue - this is not a program for resolving personal problems or disputes about a business relationship.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I was directed here from the BFC thread.

Parental debt question because I am fumbling in the dark on this one.

My father still has college loan debt from the 60s, and he refuses to pay off anything but the interest or tell me how much remaining debt he has. I dont know if his debt is just 2k, or 60K+ after decades of interest.
When my grandfather died my father set up 2 LLC's, one to cover the majority of the land and one to cover just the house. I have 10% stake in these because thanks for forging my signature dad.
He has no savings or assets to his name besides the LLC's and 10k of savings (which also is his business account).

Im not so much concerned about the signature as I am the possibility of his college loan debt coming back to haunt me when he passes. Since he refuses to tell me what his debt is I can only worry that it is significant and I may end up loosing the house and the land (that my mother paid for).

Is the simple answer to contact an estate attorney, and to have the LLC redarwn to cut my father out?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 28, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

this is not a program for resolving personal problems or disputes about a business relationship.

Narrator: It absolutely is.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gaj posted:

I was directed here from the BFC thread.

Parental debt question because I am fumbling in the dark on this one.

My father still has college loan debt from the 60s, and he refuses to pay off anything but the interest or tell me how much remaining debt he has. I dont know if his debt is just 2k, or 60K+ after decades of interest.
When my grandfather died my father set up 2 LLC's, one to cover the majority of the land and one to cover just the house. I have 10% stake in these because thanks for forging my signature dad.
He has no savings or assets to his name besides the LLC's and 10k of savings (which also is his business account).

Im not so much concerned about the signature as I am the possibility of his college loan debt coming back to haunt me when he passes. Since he refuses to tell me what his debt is I can only worry that it is significant and I may end up loosing the house and the land (that my mother paid for).

Is the simple answer to contact an estate attorney, and to have the LLC redarwn to cut my father out?

Generally speaking, the whole point of a limited liability corporation is to prevent corporate debts from passing through to the stockholders. It also prevents individual stockholder debts from passing through to the corporation, much less other stockholders. (I’d love to be able to stick Jeff Bezos with my student loans by buying some Amazon stock, but alas.) Mostly, individual debts can be repaid by the debt holder taking ownership of the portion of the LLC the debtor owned. But there are circumstances where the corporate veil can be pierced, and the student loan company probably doesn’t want 20% of a house, they want their cash, so they might try to force a sale to satisfy the debt.

So the right answer, as you surmise, is to talk to an estates lawyer and make sure that you’re covered/can make any necessary modifications.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I come only to bring this beautiful thing to you all.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

So, the next day I sent a 20 page draft of a lawsuit over to the City Attorney, with a letter that said, "Here is all the briefing and research on why your Very Special Tree Preservation Ordinance is Unconstitutional, illegal, and how it violates the Texas Local Government Code. Right now, all you have is a letter from the Mayor saying my client should pay this money. If we hear another word about this, we will file this petition the next day, and the city will be paying my attorneys fees (implied: and you'll probably lose your job.)"

I was curious if anybody had every tried to sue the electric company and that answers that. I figured the response from the electric company would be "either we cut your trees, or you don't get any electricity."

Regarding property law. Do the physical metal property stakes have any relevance in property line disputes?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SkunkDuster posted:

I was curious if anybody had every tried to sue the electric company and that answers that. I figured the response from the electric company would be "either we cut your trees, or you don't get any electricity."

Regarding property law. Do the physical metal property stakes have any relevance in property line disputes?

It's important that they are wooden if your neighbor is a vampire.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SkunkDuster posted:

What is on top of the ground has no bearing as to where the property line actually is. Often times the property lines are off by a few inches to a few feet because of a lovely mishmash of american, imperial, and metric measurements over the past 500+ years of American land grants.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

What is on top of the ground has no bearing as to where the property line actually is. Often times the property lines are off by a few inches to a few feet because of a lovely mishmash of american, imperial, and metric measurements over the past 500+ years of American land grants.

I'm talking about the metal stakes the surveyors drive deep into the ground to mark the boundaries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm talking about the metal stakes the surveyors drive deep into the ground to mark the boundaries.

I know. Those are usually correct but are not always because only recently have all states been forced to move onto the same measurement standard.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I only know about property lines from one of Randall Monroe's books, but you will not be shocked to learn that it is incredibly arcane. God help you if a property physically moves.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Think that's bad? Try getting a build permit for your house boat.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

VanSandman posted:

I come only to bring this beautiful thing to you all.

This is amazing

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dunno if any of you have heard of the hilarious saga of the Swiss bank whistleblower, but he ended up getting something like $115 million out of the program (after several lawsuits against the IRS). Basically he was a private banker for a swiss bank in the US and he was caught for tax evasion and for whatever reason he had pissed off someone enough that they were gonna nail hi with federal tax evasion. So he was like, "Hey, I've been helping people evade taxes for decades, if I turn them all in will you let me go?" So he did and they did.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

So, yes they do, actually.

In a deed, you will see a "metes and bounds" which is a wordy, incoherent description of the lines that make up a piece of property.

metes and bounds need three things to work. 1) a reference point, 2) a direction, 3) a distance.

The Direction is the "13 degrees E, 02 minutes, 55 seconds" or whever, just like you'll find on a compass. The distance is the feet.

Those iron rods, or metal caps, or concrete markers, or sometimes, "That Big Ol Oak Tree Over There" will be your reference point. Surveyors will drive those stakes into the ground where they need a reference point, and some will sit there for 100 years!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Those iron rods, or metal caps, or concrete markers, or sometimes, "That Big Ol Oak Tree Over There" will be your reference point. Surveyors will drive those stakes into the ground where they need a reference point, and some will sit there for 100 years!

And some will be run over immediately by a bulldozer when the house is built, causing the next surveyor who was trying to reference that marker to spend a couple hours swearing when they can’t find the loving thing and have to set a new marker via a two mile traverse from the last known good point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also what type of feet are those?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also what type of feet are those?

US Survey Feet unless otherwise noted

But for practical purposes, since the difference is only ~1 in a million, the only issue with Survey Feet / International Feet is when you're talking about coordinates, which are hundreds of thousands or millions of feet away from the origin.

When you're measuring 1000 feet, the difference is only 0.001 feet

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I want to preface this post by saying that I think I know the answer to my question (which is relatively stupid) and I'm mostly posting this here to ease my anxiety. That said:

I stayed in a Vrbo-listed vacation rental home last week and the owner is trying to bill me $45 for damage that I did not cause. When we arrived, one of the door handles to a sliding door on the patio was broken- as soon as I pulled on it the screw holding it in place fell out because the hole it was "screwed" into was totally stripped (it even ended up cutting my hand later when I pulled on it having forgotten about it).

The reason I didn't immediately notify the owner is because as soon as I walked out of that very door to go unload my car, I noticed that his driveway (which was super steep gravel comprised of some *very* large rocks, all of which wasn't mentioned in the listing) had actually damaged part of my car. I am 100% certain that it's from his driveway- we struggled getting up the hill and before that point, our drive was all highway or very well-paved roads and I absolutely would have noticed if something had flown up and hit the car while I was driving. We didn't make any stops on the way, so this definitely didn't occur while we were away from the car. I called the owner as soon as I discovered this, to let him know that he needed to warn people about the driveway, but that I'd handle it myself and not file a claim against him (because I'm not an rear end in a top hat). At this point, I had completely forgotten about the sliding glass door handle because I was more concerned about my car.

To make a long story short, it totally slipped my mind for the rest of the trip- most of the time that we used that sliding door was late at night to get out to the fire pit so I always remembered the issue later at night. I wasn't about to call the owner at 11pm to mention that the door handle was messed up when we arrived. Two days after we left, I got a call from the owner saying he was billing me 45 bucks for the door handle. I explained that it was broken when we arrived and that I had simply forgotten about it. He claimed that it was bullshit because I never mentioned the handle even though I had called him about my car and then also called later in the week because the washing machine (which was listed as functional) didn't work. Again, that handle was absolutely not on my mind during either of these conversations. The conversation went from polite to extremely heated at that point and I literally told him to go gently caress himself and hung up.

Vrbo said that since he didn't make me pay an up-front damage deposit, he's poo poo out of luck unless I voluntarily pay, so I'm not worried about anything on that end. The main purpose of this post is to just give me peace of mind- he has no case to do anything about this legally, right? I mean I'm sure he could file with small claims court if he wanted to, but doing that over a matter of $45 for a "his word versus mine" situation would be complete lunacy.

For the record, if I did actually break the door handle, I would have absolutely no problem paying him for it. Thanks for reading my long-rear end post about this stupid topic.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 31, 2020

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You're never hearing from this guy again, don't waste your brain power on it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

m0therfux0r posted:

The main purpose of this post is to just give me peace of mind- he has no case to do anything about this legally, right? I mean I'm sure he could file with small claims court if he wanted to, but doing that over a matter of $45 for a "his word versus mine" situation would be complete lunacy.

His claim for the door is exactly as lunatic as a claim for your car would be.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

joat mon posted:

His claim for the door is exactly as lunatic as a claim for your car would be.

I figured. Also I meant an insurance claim, not a court claim. Was never actually gonna pursue that anyway because it probably would be under my deductible even if it somehow was successful.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 31, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nice piece of fish posted:

Think that's bad? Try getting a build permit for your house boat.

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/07/02/boaters-block-floating-house-from-entering-marina-at-carolina-beach-neighborhood/

TLDR: dude builds a cheap house on a barge and tows in into the marina to get an ocean-view house for 1/10th the price. Local residents are pissed off.

Follow up - The owners of the "house boat" attached a 15-hp motor to it, claiming that makes it driveable.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/07/02/boaters-block-floating-house-from-entering-marina-at-carolina-beach-neighborhood/

TLDR: dude builds a cheap house on a barge and tows in into the marina to get an ocean-view house for 1/10th the price. Local residents are pissed off.

Follow up - The owners of the "house boat" attached a 15-hp motor to it, claiming that makes it driveable.
View protection is the stupidest loving poo poo.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanatosian posted:

View protection is the stupidest loving poo poo.

Counterpoint: Building a house on a barge and towing it into the local public marina is also really loving stupid. Doubly so if you tie it off the fuel dock and make it a fire hazard.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Dik Hz posted:

Residents countering with a blockade is :discourse:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blarzgh posted:

So, yes they do, actually.

In a deed, you will see a "metes and bounds" which is a wordy, incoherent description of the lines that make up a piece of property.

metes and bounds need three things to work. 1) a reference point, 2) a direction, 3) a distance.

The Direction is the "13 degrees E, 02 minutes, 55 seconds" or whever, just like you'll find on a compass. The distance is the feet.

Is there any sort of move towards using very specific lat/lon coordinates? It seems like getting accuracy to the centimeter or even millimeter (very possible with good equipment) instead of using stakes and angles would be significantly less work, although when Kessler syndrome inevitably spells the doom of satellites it could backfire.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Is there any sort of move towards using very specific lat/lon coordinates? It seems like getting accuracy to the centimeter or even millimeter (very possible with good equipment) instead of using stakes and angles would be significantly less work, although when Kessler syndrome inevitably spells the doom of satellites it could backfire.

Every continent on earth is moving, some of them like north america have multiple directions of movement, and these are in some cases more than a centimeter annually. It's impossible to set a universal coordinate system that will stay aligned with real estate property. The closer your referent, the less geological activity (including also movements on faults, erosion, slumping, etc.) will mess up your accuracy over time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s not uncommon here for deeds to just say “your property is bounded by this road and these other properties, and the dimensions for each side are roughly X00 feet.” It’s amazing that it works at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Residential properties aren’t really valuable and people can usually work it out by talking to each other

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Residential properties aren’t really valuable and people can usually work it out by talking to each other

and when they don't there's usually existing law covering what should happen and the court works it out for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

and when they don't there's usually existing law covering what should happen and the court works it out for them.

I’ve done these cases. What happens is the judge makes up new lines. It’s mostly fine

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mr. Nice! posted:

And in the cases it doesn't, you wind up with multi-generational blood feuds and giant penis sculptures. Win-win, really.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I and a couple friends are talking about combining forces to buy a vacation cabin. I understand if we actually do the thing, we need to get a lawyer, form an LLC, and write up a huge contract that covers every possibility.

Currently we all live in rentals and nobody owns any property. My question is if we do this, and I have like a 15% share in a cabin, would that mean that if I want to buy a house of my own down the road, I would be disqualified from first-time homebuyer programs? If so, I'll step out of the process now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Anne Whateley posted:

I and a couple friends are talking about combining forces to buy a vacation cabin. I understand if we actually do the thing, we need to get a lawyer, form an LLC, and write up a huge contract that covers every possibility.

Currently we all live in rentals and nobody owns any property. My question is if we do this, and I have like a 15% share in a cabin, would that mean that if I want to buy a house of my own down the road, I would be disqualified from first-time homebuyer programs? If so, I'll step out of the process now.

It's like all the best aspects of roommates, timeshares, and family-owned businesses had a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anne Whateley posted:

What's the upside? Can you force a sale to get your equity out? Can they? How do you decide preference on desirable dates? What's the total cost vs just renting a place? What do you do when one party won't pay for routine maintenance? What happens if another couple in the agreement divorces? Dies? Sues you all for malfeasance?