Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

L0cke17 posted:

Any way to figure out for sure without visiting a doctor if your kid is teething? Mine is almost 4 months old now and he's been super fussy, drooling all over, sucking his hand constantly
and rubbing at his face for the last 3 or 4 days.

Internet says those are teething symptoms, but he's younger than it's expected?

Eh maybe younger than expected but our second started teething around then too.

Can you get a good look at his gums? You'll be able to see them start.to come to the top and form little small sharp white ridges just before they break through. You can also feel them with your fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
From ages 4 to 28 months I blame everything on teething, then I blame everything on terrible two's. But who the hell really knows.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nachos posted:

Our daughter is a week away from 9 months and I swear she’s been teething since 4 months. I have no idea when and how these things are supposed to come in.

Yeah, we had the same thing starting early, at like 6 months. I could see her bottom teeth looking directly at her mandible. They took FOREVER to finally cut. We are 22 months now and have everything in except all 4 pre molars and 2 canines.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PerniciousKnid posted:

From ages 4 to 28 months I blame everything on teething, then I blame everything on terrible two's. But who the hell really knows.

Don’t forget 0-4 is colic

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PerniciousKnid posted:

We did the same and then around 5 or 6 it just turned to "wait... Maybe were just lovely parents?"

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

L0cke17 posted:

Any way to figure out for sure without visiting a doctor if your kid is teething? Mine is almost 4 months old now and he's been super fussy, drooling all over, sucking his hand constantly
and rubbing at his face for the last 3 or 4 days.

The only reliable way I have determined to diagnose teething is to look for literal teeth. Our kid had all the traditional teething symptoms from like 2 months on, but no teeth until 9.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Our son's first 8 teeth bum-rushed in between 4 and 6ish months. He started "teething" again around 10 months and it comes and goes, but we're almost to 13 months and no new teeth. It has gotten so bad a couple times we had him checked for ear infections, but nada. Our pediatrician says a couple molars are coming, but not imminently.

life is killing me posted:

*offers something toddler likes*

Toddler: NOOOOOOOOOOO WTF IS THIS poo poo

Toddler: all done, all done

*pushes plate toward us*

Us: bro you don’t have to finish it but like why can’t it be in front of you a bit longer?

Toddler: REMOVE THIS FROM MY SIGHT IMMEDIATELY IT OFFENDS ME NOW THAT I HAVE DECIDED FOR NO REASON I SHALL NOT CONSUME IT

Toddler: RELEASE ME FROM THIS CHAIR AND WHY IS THIS FOOD STILL IN FRONT OF ME?! YOU SHALL BE THE FIRST AGAINST THE WALL FATHER, JUST YOU WAIT

This is our kiddo too, he even has this weird backhanded swipe to ensure food is propelled from his tray at maximum velocity behind him.

I made fish, broccoli, and potatoes for Sunday dinner today and he was happily eating everything for a while. When the protests started, I picked him up and he immediately lunged for my plate like he was still hungry. Little goober proceeded to eat another helping of broccoli and fish, but only if I held him and handed it to him piece by piece :cripes:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m getting kinda scared for when these molars come in for our kid. It seems like it’s been forever since we’ve dealt with teething and I just know it’s going to blindside me and completely gently caress my sleep again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nwin posted:

I’m getting kinda scared for when these molars come in for our kid. It seems like it’s been forever since we’ve dealt with teething and I just know it’s going to blindside me and completely gently caress my sleep again.

It doesn't have to, and it probably won't. Lilly had some canines come in and she was just a bit grumpier.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

nwin posted:

I'll be honest, the first set of molars hosed us up pretty bad, like he was up every hour for a week with each set. He had just turned one and we had only just night weaned. Thankfully they came in pairs, and we were done with everything by 15 months. This 2 year set coming in looks way gnarlier, and he seems to be getting one at a time, but he's only had an occasional sleep disruption with each one. Motrin helps a bunch, and it's been waaaaay less horrible.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonoMan posted:

We did the same and then around 5 or 6 it just turned to "wait... Maybe were just lovely parents?"

No, it's the kids who are wrong.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PerniciousKnid posted:

No, it's the kids who are wrong.

The kids are all wrong.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Our son's first 8 teeth bum-rushed in between 4 and 6ish months. He started "teething" again around 10 months and it comes and goes, but we're almost to 13 months and no new teeth. It has gotten so bad a couple times we had him checked for ear infections, but nada. Our pediatrician says a couple molars are coming, but not imminently.

This is our kiddo too, he even has this weird backhanded swipe to ensure food is propelled from his tray at maximum velocity behind him.

I made fish, broccoli, and potatoes for Sunday dinner today and he was happily eating everything for a while. When the protests started, I picked him up and he immediately lunged for my plate like he was still hungry. Little goober proceeded to eat another helping of broccoli and fish, but only if I held him and handed it to him piece by piece :cripes:

Ughhhhhhh

Our kiddo has been on an eating strike this week for sure, perhaps he’s just tired of the same poo poo but he asks for it nonetheless and he gets it. I’m not making him scrambled eggs again for awhile, I make the best scrambled eggs in the family and if he doesn’t appreciate it then he gets toast!

But tonight I made carne asada with a homemade marinade with orange juice and lime juice, plus cilantro. I cut him up a few pieces, like 8 of them, and those fuckers were gone before I even managed to prepare my tacos. I gave him another piece, they were gone before I could take a bite of my own. He ate about six loving strips of flank steak plus broccoli, then rice. Then he asked for salsa and cheese.

Happy to see him eat so well, but I don’t know what the gently caress is with his weird eating patterns. He will go all day barely eating meals or snacks. Then another day the little dude is running around with goldfish and veggie straws all goddamn day plus eating huge meals. I can’t even with this kid sometimes

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

I have something that will hopefully distract from screen time chat:

Three days ago my 2.5 year old has started to stutter, repeating the first syllable of many of his sentences. We're keeping an eye on it and plan on talking to his doctor about it but twice he's gotten really upset and said something like "it's hard to talk".

It breaks my heart.

Update on this:

The best outcome (and from reading online the most likely?) happened: he just kinda stopped stuttering.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

My twins have their molars coming in right now and the 9 month sleep recession was way worse.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Toddler at 7:30pm: time to actually go to sleep? Oh okay I understand

Toddler at 8:15pm: ok ok ok for real fine ok? FFS dad *goes to sleep*

Toddler at 3:50am (10 min ago): *cries*

Toddler at 3:52am: OUT OF NOWHERE, IT IS TIME TO GET UP AND START PLAYING AND TURN ON MY LAMP AND MAKE A BUNCH OF NOISE EVEN THOUGH I WENT TO SLEEP LATE AND IT IS AN UNGODLY HOUR

Toddler at 4:04am: no you’re crazy.

Toddler at 4:05am: what’s that? Be still and go to sleep? What about the opposite for no loving reason whatsoever, I know you enjoy sleep but I hate it and I hate you and do not want you to enjoy anything good which is why I’m doing this poo poo for the third time this week

Me at 4:05am: gently caress you for this

So yeah at least with a newborn it was go back to loving sleep after a bit of Mom’s boob. With a toddler it’s like, get up around 4am and sit in there with them for like at least 30-45 minutes. Sometimes they don’t even go back to sleep and honestly I don’t know wtf, he ain’t hurt or growing or anything

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Toddler at 3:52am: OUT OF NOWHERE, IT IS TIME TO GET UP AND START PLAYING AND TURN ON MY LAMP AND MAKE A BUNCH OF NOISE EVEN THOUGH I WENT TO SLEEP LATE AND IT IS AN UNGODLY HOUR

Toddler at 4:05am: what’s that? Be still and go to sleep? What about the opposite for no loving reason whatsoever, I know you enjoy sleep but I hate it and I hate you and do not want you to enjoy anything good which is why I’m doing this poo poo for the third time this week

So yeah at least with a newborn it was go back to loving sleep after a bit of Mom’s boob. With a toddler it’s like, get up around 4am and sit in there with them for like at least 30-45 minutes. Sometimes they don’t even go back to sleep and honestly I don’t know wtf, he ain’t hurt or growing or anything

You just convinced me that my son is never moving out of his crib.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Our first is a month shy of 3, and she had been going to sleep find in her toddler bed until maybe 2 months ago, when she suddenly decided that it was OK to get up shortly after we left her room and start playing, talking, or whatnot. I mean, prior to that she developed a habit of just carrying on conversations with nobody in particular for 10-30 minutes, but she stayed in her bed. This was a thing where she would turn on her light, fiddle with the doorknob, and call out asking to go potty or some other distraction.

But after like 2 weeks she more or less got over it. Once in a while we'll find her sleeping in front of her door, but for now at least she's not making a ton of noise or hollering or anything. That said, this did lead to the discovery that she can wake up in the morning and start calling to us under the door.

nwin posted:

Oh you don't have to worry about that. He'll just climb out himself when he's ready!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Unfortunately that is up to them. Mine decided just before 2 that it was time to give us heart attacks and climb out constantly. We were perfectly happy til closer to 3 for him to be in the crib but nope, he was in a toddler bed before 2 and I’m still sad

DaveSauce posted:

Our first is a month shy of 3, and she had been going to sleep find in her toddler bed until maybe 2 months ago, when she suddenly decided that it was OK to get up shortly after we left her room and start playing, talking, or whatnot. I mean, prior to that she developed a habit of just carrying on conversations with nobody in particular for 10-30 minutes, but she stayed in her bed. This was a thing where she would turn on her light, fiddle with the doorknob, and call out asking to go potty or some other distraction.

But after like 2 weeks she more or less got over it. Once in a while we'll find her sleeping in front of her door, but for now at least she's not making a ton of noise or hollering or anything. That said, this did lead to the discovery that she can wake up in the morning and start calling to us under the door.

Yep this. Sigh. My wife with a second bun in the oven too, not sure if I should just wave bye bye to sleep. I can handle letting him play in the morning when I just want a little extra shut-eye, that doesn’t harm anything. But getting up at 3:30-4am and immediately getting out of bed and turning on his lamp is not acceptable in any form :colbert:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

L0cke17 posted:

For what it's worth, our pediatric nurse claimed that she had seen newborns with four front teeth already in. So it's never too early!

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My daughter was born with a tooth and had two more by two months. Somehow, breastfeeding wasn't a issue!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our pediatrician told us that teeth are the most highly variable milestone. Kids can be born with them, or not cut their first until 15 months (or later). All of that is well within the range of normal. I don't know when they start worrying, but we were told that it's not even an area of concern until 15 months.

Our daughter didn't get her first tooth until like 13 or 14 months. Our son is at 4 months and has nothing so far. I think Mom would appreciate it if he waited until he's weaned...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

Our pediatrician told us that teeth are the most highly variable milestone. Kids can be born with them, or not cut their first until 15 months (or later). All of that is well within the range of normal. I don't know when they start worrying, but we were told that it's not even an area of concern until 15 months.

Our daughter didn't get her first tooth until like 13 or 14 months. Our son is at 4 months and has nothing so far. I think Mom would appreciate it if he waited until he's weaned...

And then losing. Our child, who has healthy teeth, has already lost THREE by age 6. Like "just turned 6" age 6. It's crazy.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Love to visit the grandparents’ house where the designated toddler nap room has a very loud squeaky door (upon closing only) that nobody felt was worth mentioning. Not a great napper away from home seeing as we don’t get much practice with covid and all, so I’m skeptical that this can be salvaged.

Great, great, nobody needed this nap today.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My 19 month old had the biggest meltdown of his life yesterday because...we took his shoes off while he was sleeping.

He also had a meltdown this morning because he didn't have enough hands to carry all of his cars at once.

He's not even 2 yet and I'm already sick of his poo poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The meltdown was bad enough that we threw him in the car and drove around. He still screamed for 20 minutes in the car.

I should also mention that I work nights now, so his nap time meltdown happened two hours after I went to sleep, and it was bad enough that I couldn't leave my wife alone with him in good conscious so I went with them. And this morning we had some construction in the house that got me up after 3 hours. I'm loving tired.

So so tired.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
wait until you have to deal with a tantrum in which they bite you

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm gonna bite that motherfucker back

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Renegret posted:

I'm gonna bite that motherfucker back

my daughter kept biting friends at school. we'd get a report about once a week of an incident. Then she got bit back, and we haven't had a report since.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I'm still 2 months out from the kid arriving but what happens if like... you just leave the kid in their room and playing with poo poo? I'm not judging I'm just trying to understand if they're gonna try and chew through an electrical cable or what it is that requires the parent to be up while the kid is awake. I'm sure all the current toddler owners are just nodding their heads, filling in the blanks here but I haven't dealt with toddlers in any significant capacity so I'm just visualizing the kid sitting on the floor quietly playing with trucks or something

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

So I'm still 2 months out from the kid arriving but what happens if like... you just leave the kid in their room and playing with poo poo? I'm not judging I'm just trying to understand if they're gonna try and chew through an electrical cable or what it is that requires the parent to be up while the kid is awake. I'm sure all the current toddler owners are just nodding their heads, filling in the blanks here but I haven't dealt with toddlers in any significant capacity so I'm just visualizing the kid sitting on the floor quietly playing with trucks or something

Kids gonna gently caress up his sleep schedule and be an absolute-loving-GEM to handle the next day. Also kid thinks it’s ok to wake up whenever and play with stuff/do whatever the gently caress they want.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Honestly this is kind of loosely our approach. Our kid is just under 2 so still in a cot but if he's honestly tried and struggled to either go to sleep or go BACK to sleep after a wake up, very occasionally I'll let him get back up again but usually I'll take him through to our bed and we talk and play quietly until he's ready to give sleep another try.

And then there was the 4:30am screaming wake up he did this morning where he was inconsolable and shrieking with incandescent rage and hitting the bed over ??? and I will admit we ended up letting him watch Super Simple Songs on silent after 45min of alternate measures. But in principle I dont mind later if he was to wake up and want to read quietly or whatever because that's what I did when I couldnt sleep as a kid too.

So far he hasn't tried to game the system though and he does genuinely try to sleep and is a good sleeper in general. That may change as he gets older which we will deal with as it arises. I was just such a terrible sleeper and I'm trying to avoid some of the things my parents did that made it even harder for me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The key to surviving a toddler is a solid schedule that you stick to religiously .

You don't gently caress with the schedule.

The reason my kid was a monster yesterday wasn't really about his shoes. That was just the trigger. The screaming for an hour was because his nap was disturbed too early, he was tired and cranky, and didn't understand that what he needed at that moment was to go back to sleep. The sacred schedule was disturbed.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
This thread is legit terrifying to read sometimes as someone expecting their first child. My big takeaway is stick to a schedule no matter what!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

remigious posted:

This thread is legit terrifying to read sometimes as someone expecting their first child. My big takeaway is stick to a schedule no matter what!

Yes. As someone that thought they'd be loose goose with their first child and is paying for it 6 years later ... yes. Kids need structure. I'm not talking Von Trapp levels... but structure. I cannot stress how big it can snowball through the years without it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

remigious posted:

Two more takeaways are: it seems like it takes forever when you’re in it but after you’ll be amazed on how fast things actually happened, 0-3 is a goddamn blur

And

You’ll miss the good parts of it when they get bigger

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

remigious posted:

This is a place to vent commiserate. People aren’t coming here to brag about their kids.

Everyone’s experience is different. I find having a toddler to be fairly easy. She sleeps through the night most of the time. Potty training was a breeze. The transition to toddler bed was easy. She eats pretty well. Teething was a nonissue. That isn’t to say that it isn’t a TON of work and Patience is critical to maintaining sanity.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
The other thing is, if you have a solid schedule, with cues for sleep, you can transfer those if you are out of your usual routine or location.

We’re sleeping on a mattress on the floor at grandma’s, not in a cot? No worries, we’ve had a bath, the white noise is on and we’ve read a story, so clearly it’s time to sleep.

It’s nearly 9.30 before we get home and we’ve been at hospital getting monitored and then covid tested and bed time is usually 7? No worries, we’ll skip the bath but wash our face and brush our teeth and do the rest of the bedtime routine as normal.

I want to say my toddler is 2 and a half now and has slept through the night since about 10 months. We didn’t have a great routine until 4 months, but we’re rock solid now. There are regressions, but if you know there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, you can ride it out.

With our 2 month old, we had a routine in place from as early as was practical, and from about 1 month on it’s been solid and predictable and I am really reaping the benefits. Of course she still wakes, but it’s at predictable times, and she settles easily. Of course the 4 month regression awaits, and that’s the one that almost broke me with my toddler and led to us sleep training.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

remigious posted:

My one caveat to that: not at the expense of ppa/ppd. My wife was all about “the schedule” and sticking to it hardcore for our first, and that fed into her post-partum anxiety. Anything that could violate the schedule was a non-starter and ramped her up, internally at least. Even “simple” things like running to the pharmacy with the baby to pick something up was too much for her to handle. We both got meds and next time around was a lot better.

Pay even closer attention to your partner the first three months, ppa/ppd can manifest in ways that aren’t easy to pick up on - I know I didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BonoMan posted:

Yes. As someone that thought they'd be loose goose with their first child and is paying for it 6 years later ... yes. Kids need structure. I'm not talking Von Trapp levels... but structure. I cannot stress how big it can snowball through the years without it.

We didn't get a lock on sleeping early on and now we're paying the price.

The one good part is that now that I'm working nights from home, when he wakes up in the middle of the night I can get him and put him back down. No more going into mommy and daddy's bed at 2am because they're too tired to fight it.

The sleeping through the night thing is slowly getting better. Now we just need to figure out going to sleep before 10:30.