Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm probably wandering into old man yells at cloud territory here but jesus christ the new version of Android Firefox.... woof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm probably wandering into old man yells at cloud territory here but jesus christ the new version of Android Firefox.... woof

It's bad, isn't it.

My update moved the address bar to the bottom of the screen. What a genius move that was.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Android chrome did that in a beta a while back and I ... Loved it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like the new Android Firefox :shobon:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah i kind of wish i could have a bottom address bar in mobile safari. smartphone screens are so tall now that as few controls as possible should be at the top imo

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

It used to have icons of the most recent/frequent sites on a blank tab and that seems to have gone.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Moo the cow posted:

It used to have icons of the most recent/frequent sites on a blank tab and that seems to have gone.

That's an option in desktop, check your settings on mobile.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
We can't update to the Chromium Edge version because a bunch of intranet sites use http with short non-FQDN URLs. We had to upgrade a group of people for a Salesforce project and now people are freaking out that our app sites are "insecure" and we need to use SSL with appropriate naming conventions.

I told you that five years ago :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just looking at some budget business laptops for some of our staff who are struggling with older hardware, and Dell have managed to save themselves about £5 on the cost of a second antenna and a better Wi-Fi card by going for a single-stream radio

:wtc:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: How limited the Azure trial is. 4 vCPUs for your entire trial? Am I missing something? I'm setting up an Exchange lab to show a friend how to administer Exchange and AD accounts and the guide says to use a VM type for the Exchange server with at least 4 vCPUs but I can't because the DC requires one. Sure hope it will install on 2 and not just choke, literally never done this before.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: How limited the Azure trial is. 4 vCPUs for your entire trial? Am I missing something? I'm setting up an Exchange lab to show a friend how to administer Exchange and AD accounts and the guide says to use a VM type for the Exchange server with at least 4 vCPUs but I can't because the DC requires one. Sure hope it will install on 2 and not just choke, literally never done this before.

It will be fine, it is far less CPU intensive than it is disk IO. With a test environment you will likely never reach usage limitations. Azure is loving weird.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You don't need more than 2 vcpu for a test lab dc or exchange server and if you are shutting it down when you're not using it even paying for it isn't going to be much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have two vcpu in a production exchange server with 400 mailboxes...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I ran my in prod hybrid exchange server on 1 vcpu for 2 years

To be fair, it did absolutely nothing except check off a box

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Department complains how hard it is to use our wiki. Wikimedia is an unfriendly pile but just learn Their odd version of markdown-ish formatting, it’s not that big of a deal.

Installed some wysiwyg editor and it’s buggy. Ugh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I finally got my department to agree to delete our mediawiki later this fall. So long you piece of poo poo, won't miss you!

(all wiki software is horrible, but mediawiki is agony to maintain if you ever stop updating, playing catchup is impossible)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

xzzy posted:

I finally got my department to agree to delete our mediawiki later this fall. So long you piece of poo poo, won't miss you!

(all wiki software is horrible, but mediawiki is agony to maintain if you ever stop updating, playing catchup is impossible)

Oh gently caress that reminds me...
Ugh gently caress it.
Is there a way to export mediawiki to something not terrible?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ugh gently caress it.

Copy and paste into word docs and stick into sharepoint

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

Copy and paste into word docs and stick into sharepoint

ugh gently caress that.
I'll let the drat thing crash and burn before I go copypasta-ing hundreds of pages one by one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The "official" way to export anything out of mediawiki involves xml, if that gives you a sense of how painful the job is going to be.

I guess the upside is they offer script examples to do it but it's in perl, which to me is just more evidence of how obsolete they are.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Community forums hosted by companies with feature requests that people can vote on are a cop out designed to give the illusion of engagement, and not an adequate replacement for support teams to be able to escalate issues to product managers.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lmao yep, I’ve been subscribed to a feature request for Okta for two years with no traction. It’s always amusing to see the new comment notification emails.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The ability to change a did number between service and user in teams/Skype has been in user voice for at least 4 years

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Community forums hosted by companies with feature requests that people can vote on are a cop out designed to give the illusion of engagement, and not an adequate replacement for support teams to be able to escalate issues to product managers.

As someone whose literal job it is to interface between Support and Product Managers, I prefer both.

I can get data and stories from our own employees, through the lens of people who are familiar with the product and are tired of taking X call for the Nth time.

But with forum engagement I can also get traction from real actual customers about the problems they run into. It's a layman's view, but that's valuable in and of itself, as it can directly tie into our ability to sell the product, convert trials into purchases, etc. And a popular request is also probably something I can back up with data from support.

And when the two align, :discourse:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How do I keep getting so many cold calls for VoIP services I'm not even the phone guy why do scummy cold calls and VoIP always seem to come hand in hand

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ugh gently caress it.

- Get Confluence
- Make some nice hub pages
- Link content pages to the old mediawiki :haw:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I installed MediaWiki at a job when I got sick of all the loving Word documents on the shared drive. First thing the sysadmins did was hack in a plugin so they could have a secret place just for themselves. Had to convince them to gently caress off with that. Later, somebody got tired of wiki markup and made a Google Site for documentation. We held a vote for which one to keep and it was 1 for MediaWiki, 2 for Google, and 50 who didn't care.

So I just kept right on using my wiki while the Google Site ironically was impossible to search.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

devmd01 posted:

Lmao yep, I’ve been subscribed to a feature request for Okta for two years with no traction. It’s always amusing to see the new comment notification emails.

#1 on the Digital Ocean Idea Board is downloading a snapshot
They'll just never implement this. They'll let an amateur implement a buggy new login screen but not spend the time on this.

The topic has been discussed for over a half decade. My guess is they probably could not want to accidentally expose any proprietary bits, or make it "easier" for customers to hop to another datacenter provider.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, if you're putting anything into a cloud or vps provider that can't be recreated by running a script you already messed up. :v:

Obviously the download feature should be there, but the actual benefit it would provide is pretty limited.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

To be fair, if you're putting anything into a cloud or vps provider that can't be recreated by running a script you already messed up. :v:

Obviously the download feature should be there, but the actual benefit it would provide is pretty limited.

Can't blame them for not investing time and money into this particular convenience. I think it would be a gesture of convenience, if anything. They may be able to image the machine little faster from their side, anyway, but I'm pulling that guessumption of my rear end.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My last job had a huge OneNote document that was actually really easy to traverse through and everyone followed formatting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I liked Evernote :smith:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

klosterdev posted:

How do I keep getting so many cold calls for VoIP services I'm not even the phone guy why do scummy cold calls and VoIP always seem to come hand in hand
Scummy cold calls are a telephone industry tradition, VoIP just lowered the barrier to entry.

I've worked for a VoIP provider for years, we tried diving heavily in to cold calling and such a few years back and it was a colossal failure. We picked up a lot of customers that we ended up losing within months because for whatever loving reason the salespeople couldn't get it through their heads that rural DSL will never not be terrible and that three phone accounts generally aren't profitable unless they "just work" with no meaningful support.

We fired all the cold callers and went back to primarily word-of-mouth and customer referrals, which for the most part works out.

devmd01 posted:

Zendesk has had a feature request for the ability to split tickets for as long as I've used it. You'd think this would be a basic feature of a ticket system because so many users are apparently absolute loving morons who can't seem to get it through their heads that they shouldn't just reply to the last message they received with their next issue. For whatever reason the Zendesk team has no interest in doing anything about this, to the point that I've seen them recommend a third-party addon that charges a monthly subscription to provide the feature.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
People on my team asking me if things will “break” when they don’t understand the process.

We use SSO with our Jenkins X environment, but it’s a community maintained plugin so we use IAP for authentication and SAML SSO for authorization and provisioning. Unfortunately that breaks logins initiated from the identity provider since you can’t follow the IAP redirect. the resolution is to initiate the login from Jenkins, so just hide the SSO login from users and use put a bookmark app on people’s okta dashboards that lets them log in. Tl;dr: one app hidden on the backend for auth/provisioning, another one visible to users that takes them to the login URL.

My team lead asks me if things will “break” if a user is only assigned to one of the two, or if the login just won’t work.

I have no idea what he means by break, and clearly neither does he, because I have no idea how a user that isn’t provisioned would break the application??

I’m mostly annoyed at this because my boss gave me a read our last one on one and used the word “assumptions”. I don’t make assumptions. I read the RFCs, I understand how Oauth protocols work, and I understand data flow. When I say how the technology works, that’s how it works. I’ve been consistently right for the past year I’ve been at this org and it’s frustrating that they still do not trust what is literally my expert opinion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel your entire post, but I do take issue with not making assumptions. We all make assumptions every day. You assume a power button is going to work, a bit isn't going to randomly flip, that frameworks you use are still going to work properly, etc.

And the only reason I point that out is because I have seen lovely bosses yell at people for making assumptions when the assumptions were entirely reasonable and expecting no one to make any assumptions about anything is absurd.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

People on my team asking me if things will “break” when they don’t understand the process.

We use SSO with our Jenkins X environment, but it’s a community maintained plugin so we use IAP for authentication and SAML SSO for authorization and provisioning. Unfortunately that breaks logins initiated from the identity provider since you can’t follow the IAP redirect. the resolution is to initiate the login from Jenkins, so just hide the SSO login from users and use put a bookmark app on people’s okta dashboards that lets them log in. Tl;dr: one app hidden on the backend for auth/provisioning, another one visible to users that takes them to the login URL.

My team lead asks me if things will “break” if a user is only assigned to one of the two, or if the login just won’t work.

I have no idea what he means by break, and clearly neither does he, because I have no idea how a user that isn’t provisioned would break the application??

I’m mostly annoyed at this because my boss gave me a read our last one on one and used the word “assumptions”. I don’t make assumptions. I read the RFCs, I understand how Oauth protocols work, and I understand data flow. When I say how the technology works, that’s how it works. I’ve been consistently right for the past year I’ve been at this org and it’s frustrating that they still do not trust what is literally my expert opinion.

I understand this use of the language "break" as a catch-all for when an issue of some type falls out of the scope of the expertise of the person reporting it. I generally try and understand what category the potential for something to "break" falls in, to cushion the usually-associated concern they have. I.e., is the concern about a visual discontinuity, workflow change, or just based on something from the past? When someone who I know doesn't have intimate knowledge of the system, the word "break" is usually associated with an anxiety, but if the person using the word is an engineer of the system, the word carries a tone of acceptance.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I've definitely dealt with weird assumptions.

I can think of some example where my guy obviously wasn't sure what was going on and took a way wild stab in the dark. I think it was something along the lines of 'well what if this piece of cable randomly just stopped working, that could be it right?'

I know I moan about the guy in the threads but I am probably (hopefully!) nicer IRL than my stream of consciousness griping on here.

To me, the assumption seemed crazy but let's just work past that - I would be like 'well, let's make the assumption that won't be ok, where would you check next if you know that part is fine' my guy is used to me and generally gets the hint that we both know he is wrong and he needs to think a bit more, I let him try and I'll tell him if he is getting colder.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

I see you're new to Jenkins :) JenkinsX is a step in the right direction, but it can quickly become plugin hell for no apparent reason.

I've had one on one's where I've been told I "took too long to get a project done, so quit being a perfectionist" along with had I "not made wrong assumptions we wouldn't have to make changes" in the same conversation. There are some people you just can't please.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

devmd01 posted:

Esri launched their web map platform, ArcGIS Online, somewhere in the early 2010s (it's surprisingly hard to find the exact date). In 2014, somebody said 'it would sure be useful if you could group web map layers together, like you can do in the desktop version' and posted about it.

Several years pass with some vague promises. Progress from that point is summed up quite well by another user:

quote:

"I asked the ESRI Reps about grouping feature layers at the 2017 UC and was told this would be done by the next UC 2018"

"ESRI did address this at the UC and said that they will include this ability in late 2018/early 2019 when they change to the 4x JSAPI. "

"I talked with Katie Cullen at the UC and she said group layers are coming 2019."

"The new map viewer will be out in September 2019, however it will not have the ability to group layers in the initial release, layer grouping will not be available until December 2019, or March 2020 at the latest. "

It's now in beta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel your entire post, but I do take issue with not making assumptions. We all make assumptions every day. You assume a power button is going to work, a bit isn't going to randomly flip, that frameworks you use are still going to work properly, etc.

And the only reason I point that out is because I have seen lovely bosses yell at people for making assumptions when the assumptions were entirely reasonable and expecting no one to make any assumptions about anything is absurd.

That’s a very fair point, and it’s a good way to adjust my language on the subject in a way that’s conciliatory. I appreciate this post, and it’s a useful way to reframe the discussion. So thank you!

This is mostly just frustration from the fact that my team just isn’t very technical and that can be annoying sometimes. They’re all good people, but they get stuck on problems that they shouldn’t be getting stuck on.

angry armadillo posted:

I've definitely dealt with weird assumptions.

I can think of some example where my guy obviously wasn't sure what was going on and took a way wild stab in the dark. I think it was something along the lines of 'well what if this piece of cable randomly just stopped working, that could be it right?'

I know I moan about the guy in the threads but I am probably (hopefully!) nicer IRL than my stream of consciousness griping on here.

To me, the assumption seemed crazy but let's just work past that - I would be like 'well, let's make the assumption that won't be ok, where would you check next if you know that part is fine' my guy is used to me and generally gets the hint that we both know he is wrong and he needs to think a bit more, I let him try and I'll tell him if he is getting colder.

So I relate a lot to this, which is worrying since, god bless ya, you do not tend come off great in your posts bitching about this guy :v:

I worry a lot of this is me judging people for making the same mistakes I used to. But at least I researched and tried to understand the issue first! It’s so frustrating seeing people relying so heavily on what people say, and what problems could be, rather than asking themselves if it made sense logically. They’ll rely on half remembered scraps of information when the full configuration is in front of them the whole time! There’s just a big lack of critical thinking that kills me.

Sometimes the critical thinking is there to be fair! And the attitude and desire to learn is on point. But the wonder and tragedy of computers is they do exactly what you tell them to. Which means if you understand exactly what you’re telling a system to do, you should be able to predict the results. Sometimes you’re wrong and new information comes into play, so you reevaluate your priors and adjust. But like... go through the logic, and don’t just toss hand grenades over cubical walls blaming “the network” because you didn’t bother to read the full error message.