Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've got the "cannot connect systems with different fluids"-bug for the second time in my 1.0 playthrough now, and the second time is infinitely more frustrating.
The first time was just a problem where I deconstructed and moved a storage tank for light oil, and after some googling without a solution, I decided to just deconstruct and replace all pipes it was connected to, and it ended up working out.

Now, I got the same bug on my water network connecting literally the entirety of my base and all of my chemical plants and refineries.
I've tried disconnecting the inlets and letting the network run dry, I've tried disconnecting all of the outlets (which was already enough of a pain in the rear end), still no solution.

Please tell me there is some form of fix to this, because I am absolutely not replacing the entirety of my water network tubing. Good lord, even the thought of doing that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've got the "cannot connect systems with different fluids"-bug for the second time in my 1.0 playthrough now, and the second time is infinitely more frustrating.
The first time was just a problem where I deconstructed and moved a storage tank for light oil, and after some googling without a solution, I decided to just deconstruct and replace all pipes it was connected to, and it ended up working out.

Now, I got the same bug on my water network connecting literally the entirety of my base and all of my chemical plants and refineries.
I've tried disconnecting the inlets and letting the network run dry, I've tried disconnecting all of the outlets (which was already enough of a pain in the rear end), still no solution.

Please tell me there is some form of fix to this, because I am absolutely not replacing the entirety of my water network tubing. Good lord, even the thought of doing that. :psyduck:

Do you have a screenshot of the issue? I've never run into a problem like that. When the 'alt-mode' is enabled do you see the water icon on the pipes or something else?

I swear I remember a YouTuber showing a way to just 'click' on a section of pipe and clear it, but I sure can't find that documented anywhere.

There is a mod called "Pipe Cleaner" that is designed to clear out unwanted fluids from pipes, might try that.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

The Locator posted:

Do you have a screenshot of the issue? I've never run into a problem like that. When the 'alt-mode' is enabled do you see the water icon on the pipes or something else?

I swear I remember a YouTuber showing a way to just 'click' on a section of pipe and clear it, but I sure can't find that documented anywhere.

There is a mod called "Pipe Cleaner" that is designed to clear out unwanted fluids from pipes, might try that.

I'm fairly sure that was a newly-added feature, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I can't remember if it's the same with pipes (it probably is) but on tanks you can just select them, and there's a big red delete button that will purge their storage.

I have encountered that bug before, but it was with a big modded mess of pipes so I don't think I can blame the game itself. It is astoundingly bug free ever since 0.17. Screenshots will help if you're having trouble diagnosing the problem.

E: sometimes having a bot build the connecting pipe where you're having problems will bypass it.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 31, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Oh hey, didn't see this posted here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28UzqVz1r24
:O

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Unfortunately (for you) usually when this crops up it's not a bug, it's a leaky mess of piping being cross-contaminated by accident - in other words, you screwed something up at some point. You can't mix fluids between pipes, and the moment you connect an "empty" section to a section that has existing fluid, that fluid will spread more or less instantly and render the new "empty" pipes as containing fluid - if your pipes are being contaminated with the "wrong" fluid it's because they're connected to a pipe system that has the wrong fluid in it. This will happen even if all inputs and outputs are disconnected, because existing fluid will spread itself more or less evenly through the pipe network without any external help. In other words, if you have pipes with fluid already in them, you can cut those pipes off from all inputs and outputs and as soon as you attach new "empty" pipes, fluid will flow into the new section basically instantly.

Cross-contaminated piping is a pain in the rear end and the simple and sanity-preserving solution is to rip out your piping at scale and redo it, because to try to remove fluid from existing pipes is a monumental pain in the rear end. When you try and piecemeal it what often happens is that "empty" pipes that aren't actually empty get left in place and re-contaminate the system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

IIRC Civ 4 had a C++ SDK you could use to make mods. More games should ship with that

yeah civ4 had a full blown SDK, and all the game rules ran on python scripts you could easily modify, it was amazing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Olesh posted:

Unfortunately (for you) usually when this crops up it's not a bug, it's a leaky mess of piping being cross-contaminated by accident - in other words, you screwed something up at some point. You can't mix fluids between pipes, and the moment you connect an "empty" section to a section that has existing fluid, that fluid will spread more or less instantly and render the new "empty" pipes as containing fluid - if your pipes are being contaminated with the "wrong" fluid it's because they're connected to a pipe system that has the wrong fluid in it. This will happen even if all inputs and outputs are disconnected, because existing fluid will spread itself more or less evenly through the pipe network without any external help. In other words, if you have pipes with fluid already in them, you can cut those pipes off from all inputs and outputs and as soon as you attach new "empty" pipes, fluid will flow into the new section basically instantly.

Cross-contaminated piping is a pain in the rear end and the simple and sanity-preserving solution is to rip out your piping at scale and redo it, because to try to remove fluid from existing pipes is a monumental pain in the rear end. When you try and piecemeal it what often happens is that "empty" pipes that aren't actually empty get left in place and re-contaminate the system.

You can click on a pipe or storage tank to flush either that unit or the entire network of fluids. Much easier than ripping everything up and replacing it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I didn't even realize that the whole 'lock entire pipe system' feature from ~0.17 had been removed at some point. But yeah if you just left-click on any pipe segment it'll show you all the fluids in the entire attached network and you can destroy them (be careful not to destroy a tank full of petrol or something). It's kind of weird that pumps and machines will still mix fluids again but the player cannot by accidentally placing a pipe, though I guess that was the most common issue in the past.

With crafting combinator changing recipes I've done all kinds of tricks to switch fluids over the years. The most reliable is barrel machines can completely drain networks. Pumps have an internal fluid box that can get stuck with some fluid in it, so it can be hard to empty a pipe/tank using a pump, though it does seem to work better now. When the 'lock fluid network' feature was enabled, I used a stationary train tanker since the pumps will connect/disconnect completely when turned on by the circuit network, so they could server the pipe networks and let me pump stuff in & out, though it would still very occasionally get jammed. Also using Optera's inventory sensor was necessary because fluids less than 1 will produce no signal normally, but that mod rounds up to 1.

I still think a good mod would be a special pump with separate input/output fluid boxes that would perfectly count fluids moved as circuit pulses like inserters do. This would also isolate the two fluid networks. Add some logic to prevent mixing unless the output network was completely empty or contained only the same fluid. (Not sure if the lua api exposes the new 'entire fluid network' values) Could be really handy for a lot of tricks. Though it would use UPS and would limit flow, because normal pumps aren't limited by their fluid box size each tick.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 31, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I think the short version is that completely locking down fluid mixing also lead to undesirable situations. You might accidentally get water into a part of a network that you really intended for lubricant, so now you had to either tear everything down and start over or pump out the water before you could introduce that sweet lube.

There was a friday facts about it a couple of months back, #351:

quote:

This idea [to make pipes easily flushable] isn't new - it was talked about back when fluid-mixing-prevention started - but it was recently brought up again and we decided to give it a try: simple fluid mixing prevention. Just try to handle the most common case - manually building things - and in the more complex cases where mixing might happen, provide a quick-and-easy way to fix it: a button to flush all of a given fluid from the pipes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its really easy to prevent fluid mixing by using the alt view. Even more so if you always start at a source.

If you hook a pipe up to any entity that has a marked fluid outlet port, then that entire network is now designated for that fluid. Until there is actual fluid in the system though you can still break and reconnect pipes to redesignate what fluid it carries.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You can click on a pipe or storage tank to flush either that unit or the entire network of fluids. Much easier than ripping everything up and replacing it.

So simple that I completely missed it. Have to left click and release, and a little window pops up with the fluid(s) listed and a little red trash-can next to each one. Click.. done.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

corgski posted:

Counterpoint: nobody’s embedded crypto miners in factorio mods yet.

did this happen with an ONI mod?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sloane posted:

did this happen with an ONI mod?
I don’t think it was ever 100% confirmed but the suspect mods were pulled.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/120713-question-about-criptography/

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I updated some of my train track blueprints to use the new grid-locking feature but I'm muffing something up.

My "straightaway" set is 32x64. I always have a QOL mod installed that extends the big electrical pole power by a few squares so they can also be grid aligned. The blueprint has this powerpole at the center, with half a powerpole that gets tiled when this blueprint is stamped in a series.

This is the only rectangular blueprint I'm using in this set. The problem is I started stamping it out horizontally and now when I go to turn it to the south, it's off by half with the vertical track that's this same blueprint rotated a turn.

I could cut it down to 32x32, but then the rail signals would be way too close together. I could try increasing it to 96x96 I guess and just give up on the chunks to either side? The issue I'm having is that it moves when oriented horizontally two chunks at a time exclusively, not one chunk at a time (i.e., 64 plots at a time). Which makes sense.

[edit]
Think I'll just make it 32x96 and center the rail signals. That way it has a middle chunk to rotate around - right now there is no center of rotation chunkwise.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 31, 2020

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

corgski posted:

I don’t think it was ever 100% confirmed but the suspect mods were pulled.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/120713-question-about-criptography/

Ugh. Thanks.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Duodecimal posted:

This is the only rectangular blueprint I'm using in this set. The problem is I started stamping it out horizontally and now when I go to turn it to the south, it's off by half with the vertical track that's this same blueprint rotated a turn.

I could cut it down to 32x32, but then the rail signals would be way too close together. I could try increasing it to 96x96 I guess and just give up on the chunks to either side? The issue I'm having is that it moves when oriented horizontally two chunks at a time exclusively, not one chunk at a time (i.e., 64 plots at a time). Which makes sense.

[edit]
Think I'll just make it 32x96 and center the rail signals. That way it has a middle chunk to rotate around - right now there is no center of rotation chunkwise.

You could also pad it out with 16 tiles of empty space on each side of the track for a 64x64 blueprint.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I felt like Henry ford himself until I hit a wall cause game wanted me to automate belts and inserters for sweet sweet green science. The biters felt like a great inclusion to the curve but this feels like the first point in the game where it’s really trying to get me to scale up (and I don’t hate it, I just gotta think more)

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Slashrat posted:

You could also pad it out with 16 tiles of empty space on each side of the track for a 64x64 blueprint.

Going to 32x96 solved the problem completely. Vertical works for lining up to any of the three chunks of width it takes up horizontally.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Professorjuggalo posted:

I felt like Henry ford himself until I hit a wall cause game wanted me to automate belts and inserters for sweet sweet green science. The biters felt like a great inclusion to the curve but this feels like the first point in the game where it’s really trying to get me to scale up (and I don’t hate it, I just gotta think more)

Automate EVERYTHING. The game will be much more enjoyable if you automate everything and set the storage to more than you think you need.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Automate EVERYTHING. The game will be much more enjoyable if you automate everything and set the storage to more than you think you need.

And don't be afraid to experiment or start small! You don't need the "perfect" or most optimal or whatever belt factory, you just need a functional belt factory. You can always build a second one if you need more belts. (Which you won't.)

Also, build more smelters and miners.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If it works leave it standing, maybe with a box to catch its contents. Nothing besides burner equipment is ever truely wasted. And anything that still works is added infrastructure to help you bootstrap whatever the next project is

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I use burner inserters for my boilers until I fully switch away from them. One death spiral due to a brownout was enough for me. I’ll gladly consume some extra coal to ensure my power is always operating at full capacity.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated three mods:
Reactor Interface
Nuclear Locomotives
Nuclear Fuel

These are cosmetic updates to add high-res icons to match the current base graphics, however the Nuclear Fuel update also adds an option to enable Kovarex process technology (defaults to off). This is both in response to a request and also ti provide an achievement-friendly way to re-enable the tech before uninstalling the mod.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

ConfusedUs posted:

I use burner inserters for my boilers until I fully switch away from them. One death spiral due to a brownout was enough for me. I’ll gladly consume some extra coal to ensure my power is always operating at full capacity.

In my current game my first power setup was electric miners directly inserting into boilers. Takes up most of area of the coal patch but saves a hassle with belts and inserters. With power pole placement its possible to set up two steam engines on a separate electric network to power only those electric miners. That way the boilers are always on, even if the rest of the base has brownouts.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
And updated Nuclear Fuel again because apparently I'm a loving idiot

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

domhal posted:

With power pole placement its possible to set up two steam engines on a separate electric network to power only those electric miners. That way the boilers are always on, even if the rest of the base has brownouts.

Yes, but burner inserters are fine to feed boilers, and I always have like 20+ of them to repurpose by time I get to regular inserters. It costs me nothing but the occasional chunk of coal and there's no chance of accidentally crossing the power grids or running into a brownout situation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Burner inserters on your boilers aren't too inefficient, they're a flat tax of 70kJ out of the 4,000kJ per piece of coal (or 1 out of every 58 coal). Still 10x more than regular inserters though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can still brownout since you're probably using electric miners, to dig up coal and put it on a belt, and if you get a sustained low-power condition then those miners might slow down too much.

It does mean that you need a pretty significant brownout, long enough to eat through the backlog of fuel that's still sitting on belts, so you do have more time to fix it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If we're crunching the numbers, burner inserters can actually be more energy-efficient than electric if they're used infrequently enough. An electric inserter idle for three minutes uses the same amount of an energy as a burner inserter moving one item.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jabor posted:

You can still brownout since you're probably using electric miners, to dig up coal and put it on a belt, and if you get a sustained low-power condition then those miners might slow down too much.

It does mean that you need a pretty significant brownout, long enough to eat through the backlog of fuel that's still sitting on belts, so you do have more time to fix it.

Good idea to wire an alarm to your coal belt.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PerniciousKnid posted:

Good idea to wire an alarm to your coal belt.
Is there actually an easy way to do that and monitor throughput? Everything I've tried and seen online has massive combinator setups so I end up with ghetto solutions like buffer chests circuited to a lamp or alarm.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You don't really care about throughput in this scenario, just pick a spot after all the miners (but near the start), and if that tile of belt isn't full then your miners aren't saturating the belt any more.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jabor posted:

You don't really care about throughput in this scenario, just pick a spot after all the miners (but near the start), and if that tile of belt isn't full then your miners aren't saturating the belt any more.

Oh I guess that's what I mean, how does a circuit->alarm know that the belt is full? I'm pretty new to circuitry.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Just attach a wire to a belt, set it to read contents & hold, should be at 8 anytime the belt is full.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Rescue Toaster posted:

Just attach a wire to a belt, set it to read contents & hold, should be at 8 anytime the belt is full.
That's way easier than I thought it would be, thank you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh I guess that's what I mean, how does a circuit->alarm know that the belt is full? I'm pretty new to circuitry.

So you wire the alarm directly to the built (with red or green wire), set the belt to "read contents", and set the alarm to go off when the quantity of the resource you're sending is less than 6. I think 6 is the magic number? Something around there, play around until you find something that doesn't nuisance-alarm when the belt is actually full but goes off consistently when you start getting a shortage.

You could also wire multiple belts together (effectively summing up what's on them) if you wanted a more sensitive trigger.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One thing to remember with burner inserters is that they are slow and might not be able to pick up item if you upgrade your coal belt to red or blue.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I only use a single burner inserter at the start of each array to prime power if it dies. Unless your base requires far more power than you're producing, 1/20th power is more than enough that the electric inserters on the rest of the boilers will easily get enough juice to load themselves faster than power is drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

One thing to remember with burner inserters is that they are slow and might not be able to pick up item if you upgrade your coal belt to red or blue.
There's no need to upgrade the belt that goes past your boilers. A single yellow belt is more than enough to feed 20 boilers.