Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I installed the mod that adds a small compact (fits on 1 foundation) machine that can only package/unpackage fluids and cost a fraction of a full refinery. Super useful.

Still going HAM on the train network too:

Nnnnnggh those straight railway lines. Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The rails are kinda wonky, so I use foundations as guides, then later I can go back and remove the foundations except at where I want support pillars. nice graceful slopes, no weird flat parts that way. The rail network continuously expands to fulfill the needs of the rail network:

I put my turbofuel generator plant in the mushroom hole in the corner of the map. the trains get up to 225 km/h on the descent into fungustown, loaded with compacted coal crafted at the nearby donut lake facility. I generally give my stations descriptive names based on the local geography

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Setting up the new main bus. I'll have it under glass when it's done.

I started this new save with a plan to make one plane and consistent grid to expand wherever I build. The map's at 20K foundations so far.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Clitch posted:

I started this new save with a plan to make one plane and consistent grid to expand wherever I build. The map's at 20K foundations so far.

DAYUM!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

pave the world. isn’t there a limitation on total i game items right now? I know it’s a lot but I feel like that may be getting close?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TK-42-1 posted:

pave the world. isn’t there a limitation on total i game items right now? I know it’s a lot but I feel like that may be getting close?

The game starts to get super unstable at about 2 million objects placed.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

TK-42-1 posted:

At the moment(Tier 5), it's about as stable as my fully unlocked save. Solid 1s Autosave freezes so I dialed them back to 10-minute intervals for now. It's not nearly as framerate intensive as a lot of machines and belts.

One thing that's a little irritating is that the vehicle suspensions don't get along with foundations well. Everything's a good 5+ KPH faster on a sand track because the suspensions aren't glitching out. I haven't had a spare 10 tickets to test out the cart, though. That's on my agenda.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The cart is so ridiculous, I love it

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Clitch posted:

That is quite a bus, what do your manufactories look like underneath?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Synastren posted:

The game starts to get super unstable at about 2 million objects placed.

they should add 24x24 flat foundations, in 1 2 & 3m thickness.

24x24 would be simple to make snapping work with -- just snap to the middle of each edge, don't bother trying to do multiple snap points everywhere. it's not hard to build around the sides off of that.

for all the people who want to pave the earth & make megafactories, that divides the # of foundations by 9

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Mile'ionaha posted:

That is quite a bus, what do your manufactories look like underneath?

Just getting started, as far as making mid-game installations. Once I've got fuel power going, I can worry less about the power drain of so many machines. Here's the floor turning a 270 belt of iron ingots into screws.

It's not clock tuned yet, but that's 45 constructors pumping out ~4x270 belts of screws. Everything below assemblers is going to be made in these ur-factories below the main plane, then I'll be making more elaborate buildings up top for assembler and manufacturer lines. Everything will be sent down to join the bus from underneath, like this.

The bus is 3 levels. The top is for splitters, and terminating in the future mall. The two below are for routing to other buildings. They act as my undergrounds a la Factorio. Somewhere in there will be an auto-sinking filter setup for overflow.

Because of my ADHD and self-loathing, I design, build, refine, rebuild everything on the fly, so it's way more time-consuming than it should be.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
...why wouldn't you just eliminate the need for screws via alternative recipes?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

The screw-free recipes tend to be slower or use more raw material, or both.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
steel -> screws onsite all the way for me

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Vasudus posted:

I haven't farmed hard drives much at all at this point. Even then, I'll just switch to Casted Screws instead of eliminating them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

bony tony posted:

The cart is so ridiculous, I love it

Hey, it's faster than blade runners...a bit...on hard surfaces. Worth it early game for sure, late game if you want to get around your factory without hypertubes.

I've come back to Satisfactory after about six months of absence. Not too much new here that I can tell, but the game world is still big enough that I can get totally lost in it, I love it. Most hand-crafted maps need to be this quality, whoever did this deserves a raise.

Instead of one big factory I have many spaced out factories connected by hypertubes, each constructing their own set of essential parts and each providing their own coal or oil power connected to a network bridging them all so they can all pick up each other's slack. I don't know if it's maximum efficient, but it sure is soothing to soar around the map looking at everything I've explored and built.

I've found one recipe that makes circuit boards out of rubber and petroleum coke, which should vastly simplify making computer parts later on.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Speedball posted:

I've found one recipe that makes circuit boards out of rubber and petroleum coke, which should vastly simplify making computer parts later on.

Almost all the output from my hyperRefinery gets channeled into circuitboards of one type or another. Silicone boards or basic boards.

I am also stretching my single caternium node to the limit: ore > pure caternium > 2400 Cladded Wire/minute.

nielsm posted:

The screw-free recipes tend to be slower or use more raw material, or both.

My biggest complaint is how hard they are to transport on belts. If there was a recipe that packed 50 screws into a crate, and alt recipes that took screw crates instead of screws, I would love those very much.

Same with quickwire, honestly.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 3, 2020

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Never transport screws, only rods.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Moto42 posted:

I mean, you say that, but unless you planned ahead in a big way for 26 assemblers making Cast Screws right next to your Computer production line (or whatever) so that you can split/merge them into the line all along itself, you're gonna need to move some screws from your screw manufactorium to wherever they're needed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mile'ionaha posted:

unless you planned ahead in a big way

Uh, what were you doing with the rest of your XL factory? Winging it?

Moto42 posted:

Don't transport rods either, because doing anything substantial without alt recipes to make screws suck less is a giant bummer.

But as someone else mentioned, the steel screw alt is a really great way to handle the Screw Problem. A pittance of steel beams and 1 constructor cranks out several hundred screws a minute. In my first MP game we got cast screws, but in my second I found steel screws and like them a lot better. If you're multibasing it makes sense to ship steel around anyways.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Klyith posted:

Uh, what were you doing with the rest of your XL factory? Winging it?

I mean, yes?

My main base where I build turbomotors is a few well-organized levels over a mess of early game nonsense.

My outposts are reasonably well organized, but nothing compared to the mega-factory-ziggurats that some people are making.

----------

Different topic: head lift.

Someone mentioned that head lift is 'contagious' so if I wanted to pump, like, 3000m^3 of water really high, could I just pump up one single pipe and then feed it back down to my giant water pump network? Then run 10 unpumped pipes up?

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 3, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mile'ionaha posted:

I mean, yes?

My main base where I build turbomotors is a few well-organized levels over a mess of early game nonsense.

I really can't imagine doing that with the late-game stuff, where the ratios and product trees get really complex. At that point I'm at least using some paper to plan stuff out, if not going full spreadsheet with the calculator.

Though if you're doing outposts for intermediate construction that does solve some problems. It's like organization by location.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Someone mentioned that head lift is 'contagious' so if I wanted to pump, like, 3000m^3 of water really high, could I just pump up one single pipe and then feed it back down to my giant water pump network? Then run 10 unpumped pipes up?

Yes.

The one downside to doing this is it produces a highly-connected pipe network, which means you get more pipe slosh that can cut into the 300 m3/m max flow. It's not a big deal, but if you are counting on exactly 3000 m3/m in use you want to add a 11th pipe.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Klyith posted:

I really can't imagine doing that with the late-game stuff, where the ratios and product trees get really complex. At that point I'm at least using some paper to plan stuff out, if not going full spreadsheet with the calculator.

I prefer this calculator, a bit less overwhelming: https://www.satisfactorytools.com/production

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mile'ionaha posted:

Sort of, but if you want to sustain 3,000 m3s of flow per second indefinitely you need 3,000 m3s of flow into your fluid tower. What you’re talking about sounds more like ‘constantly pumping 300 m3s to top up elevated buffers, which have a surge capacity of up to 3,000 m3s until drained’

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's nothing like finally touching the wire to your full day build turbo fuel rig and seeing the pylons light up RED-YELLOW-GREEN, unit by unit RED-YELLOW-GREEN, system by system RED-YELLOW-GREEN row by row RED-YELLOW-GREEN and just as the first drip of turbo fuel hits the first generator, *RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*RED*

Let that be a lesson that you need like 2000mw of headroom when you first flip the switch.

I winged it all from the math and it seems it will perfectly occupy the absolute southwest corner of the map, and i can wall it all in and hopefully get some frames back. I've still got a bank of 50 gas generators but it seems heavy frames is a huge bottleneck for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus christ. You don't even need nuclear power when you have more fuel than Exxon/Mobil.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The full release of factorio has been so nice, they made copy/pasting a lot easier. really hope they put something like that in satisfactory.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
To be honest, just like subnautica (both of them) and Factorio, I've shelved satisfactory for now, waiting for full release. It'll be like a nice present to go through the game 1 or 2 years from now (or whenever) and build a monstrous spaghetti mess again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DelphiAegis posted:

To be honest, just like subnautica (both of them) and Factorio, I've shelved satisfactory for now, waiting for full release. It'll be like a nice present to go through the game 1 or 2 years from now (or whenever) and build a monstrous spaghetti mess again.

Factorio just ticked over to its 1.0 state like a week and a half ago (disclaimer: time isn’t real anymore so it could be anywhere from five minutes to ten years)

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Speedball posted:

Jesus christ. You don't even need nuclear power when you have more fuel than Exxon/Mobil.

22GW from 300 crude +coal and sulfur

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Factorio just ticked over to its 1.0 state like a week and a half ago (disclaimer: time isn’t real anymore so it could be anywhere from five minutes to ten years)

yes I've been having the same time dilation problems. I just unlocked the spidertron, and I'm very excited to build it, but first gotta triple my power output.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In their last progress update video they said that copy/pasting large chunks of factory might be a lategame upgrade but definitely won't be a core part of the UI

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Today's accomplishment

10 impure iron nodes to 5720 iron ingots/min

Now to do the same with all the local copper.

It kind of sucks how everything at this stage is all refineries.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 6, 2020

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Powershift posted:

Today's accomplishment

10 impure iron nodes to 5720 iron ingots/min

Now to do the same with all the local copper.

It kind of sucks how everything at this stage is all refineries.

Pure Iron all the way!? Holy crap that must be a lot of water.

Meanwhile, I'm recreating the HyperRefinery, but vertically.

I noticed these oil nodes had cool floating 'oil blossoms', and wanted to preserve that view as much as possible, so I decided to build UP UP UP for an additional 450+ plastic and rubber. That will get carted by train back to the main factory, this is also an excuse to expand my rail network and really figure out how trains work. They're neat!

I finally installed Area Actions and it makes the whole thing so much more pleasant.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Only 1500 water. I've found 90 plants is 5 normal nodes OC'd and 6 full pipes so I'm building those out as modules.

There are so many beautiful areas on the map. I can't wait to pave over all of them

e: it didn't even occur to my dumb rear end that pure copper ingots might have a different consumption rate until i was 90% done the plant :doh:

5x600 iron is 90 refineries, 6 pipes
5x600 copper is 200 refineries, nearly 7 pipes.

I'm gonna have to have a drink and think this out better.

e2: less elegant, but i guess 3 rows of 40 and 4 water pipes.

Plan D: I turned it into another pure iron line, and then built a 3x40 pure copper line beside it.

That's 11,142 iron ingots/minute, 4,500 copper ingots/minute and 22gw of power right there. `

Looks like a second power plant is in order.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 7, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Re-arranging my mess of lines, i accidentally fed about 500 coal into a bauxite line feeding 15 refineries and now every once in a while the splitters poo poo out a big lump of coal and gently caress up a carefully balanced system. :negative: :negative: :negative:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
All I really want in Satisfactory is a drone camera for building from. Empyrion has one and it makes first/third person building large grids without an actual copy/paste option a lot more viable if you can get somewhat of an elevated perspective. It's still a restricted area around the player, you just don't have to make walkways to see slighly higher than your character can.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Powershift posted:

Only 1500 water. I've found 90 plants is 5 normal nodes OC'd and 6 full pipes so I'm building those out as modules.

There are so many beautiful areas on the map. I can't wait to pave over all of them

e: it didn't even occur to my dumb rear end that pure copper ingots might have a different consumption rate until i was 90% done the plant :doh:

5x600 iron is 90 refineries, 6 pipes
5x600 copper is 200 refineries, nearly 7 pipes.

I'm gonna have to have a drink and think this out better.

e2: less elegant, but i guess 3 rows of 40 and 4 water pipes.

Plan D: I turned it into another pure iron line, and then built a 3x40 pure copper line beside it.

That's 11,142 iron ingots/minute, 4,500 copper ingots/minute and 22gw of power right there. `

Looks like a second power plant is in order.

At last you will finally have enough screws!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Fishstick posted:

All I really want in Satisfactory is a drone camera for building from. Empyrion has one and it makes first/third person building large grids without an actual copy/paste option a lot more viable if you can get somewhat of an elevated perspective. It's still a restricted area around the player, you just don't have to make walkways to see slighly higher than your character can.

The drone camera in Empyrion is a lot more elegant and I definitely prefer that, but this is sort of the whole point of the lookout tower in Satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Looks like the next big update is coming next year, but we're getting a patch in November thats gonna change fluids. Don't know in what way yet.