Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Doltos posted:

It's really not that much of an issue. Through making the game more macro it also gives way more customization to your player character and heirs. Like it's more that all your decisions matter less than none of your decisions matter. The lifestyle tree is just super important now.

What I don't like is how they reduced the amount of traits your player gets because again the lifestyle tree is very important. That isn't even really a bad thing, it's just different.

So is it that you think about the family as a whole more, instead of just straight focusing on your character/heir(s), cousins be damned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

axeil posted:

:toot: Congrats!

I'm excited to go back to tutorial island tomorrow and learn all of what's new after 600 hours in CK2.

I've played like 200 hours of CK2 without ever really learning the mechanics, so this seems like a good time to maybe start. I wish GMG would send me the drat key.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I bounced off CK2 but I still really like the idea of the game enough to give this a try, especially if it is more newbie friendly.

EDIT: I am guessing this is not a midnight release...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 1, 2020

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Japan is excited enough about ck3 that when I typed 'ck3' into twitter, this was recommended to me: ck3 発売.

Its kinda nice knowing that paradox has got fans in japan eagerly awaiting ck3.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 1, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Horsebanger posted:

Are custom rulers in? The McPoyle's are making a comeback I think.

No ruler designer at launch, it will be added later in a free update.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The North Tower posted:

So is it that you think about the family as a whole more, instead of just straight focusing on your character/heir(s), cousins be damned?

Yea kinda. You still face the same issues from cousins and kids as you always do but there's an overarching family tree techline now.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Quick aside for people not balls deep in the whole Paradox/Grand Strategy thing - That review on IGN is by TJ Hafer, who's been reviewing strategy games for years, and hosts two separate podcasts about them - Three Moves Ahead, a general strategy game cast, and NoCB, a weekly roundup of Paradox games and dev diaries.

He's got more hours in each individual Paradox game than I probably do combined, and if he's gushing about CK3 this much and giving it 10/10, that's either really promising, or PDX have a way bigger budget for bribery this year. He was positive, but notably a lot more subdued in his Imperator review on launch..

Either way, I'm stoked for tomorrow. Even just from the youtuber previews, it looks exactly what I want.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, Doltos, I was wondering about your watermarked photos. Are you buying stock photos and then re-watermarking them because it's funny, or is something else going on?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hi, I can't afford this game right now and probably won't be able to til it's 50% off, so I will be living vicariously through this thread. Thank you everyone for your help!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Catalina posted:

Hi, I can't afford this game right now and probably won't be able to til it's 50% off, so I will be living vicariously through this thread. Thank you everyone for your help!

Do you have $1?

It's on Gamepass too, obviously you won't own it but you can absolutely play the game for 30 days for $1 if you want to. Just throwing it out there!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Wolfechu posted:

Quick aside for people not balls deep in the whole Paradox/Grand Strategy thing - That review on IGN is by TJ Hafer, who's been reviewing strategy games for years, and hosts two separate podcasts about them - Three Moves Ahead, a general strategy game cast, and NoCB, a weekly roundup of Paradox games and dev diaries.

He's got more hours in each individual Paradox game than I probably do combined, and if he's gushing about CK3 this much and giving it 10/10, that's either really promising, or PDX have a way bigger budget for bribery this year. He was positive, but notably a lot more subdued in his Imperator review on launch..

Either way, I'm stoked for tomorrow. Even just from the youtuber previews, it looks exactly what I want.

Also some news about TJ: https://twitter.com/AsaTJ/status/1300237068438663176?s=19

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 1, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Watching OPB's stream from earlier, I like that you can now choose in options faster or slower culture and religious conversions

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AG3 posted:

I haven't been this hyped for a new game since Mass Effect 3. I'm even cautiously optimistic that I won't be as disappointed by the ending :v:

1453: Mehmed II approaches the gates of Constanstinople with 3 buttons...

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

SirPhoebos posted:

Red: Establish New Rome
Blue: Establish New Caliphate
Green: Synthesis

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Don’t worry. Constantine XI says he’ll be leading the troops!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

Do you have $1?

It's on Gamepass too, obviously you won't own it but you can absolutely play the game for 30 days for $1 if you want to. Just throwing it out there!

Ah, did not know that.

On the one hand I do have gamepass. On the other...do we know if saves are able to migrate between windows store and steam games? Also, it may be worth the money to have the game on a platform that isn't known to be unstable at best.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Oh, wow. I had not heard about this, but good for her.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Ah, did not know that.

On the one hand I do have gamepass. On the other...do we know if saves are able to migrate between windows store and steam games? Also, it may be worth the money to have the game on a platform that isn't known to be unstable at best.

It should be like any other game and save in your documents or appdata folder.

What's wrong with the Xbox store? Ive only had it a week but the downloads have been fast, give me an option on which drive to install to, and easily pause / resume downloads. It isnt the poo poo fest that is the microsoft store.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, Doltos, I was wondering about your watermarked photos. Are you buying stock photos and then re-watermarking them because it's funny, or is something else going on?

I'm not spiff but gettyimages or whatever got super pissed at him and he just buys images and puts his own watermark over it as a joke.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Ah, did not know that.

If you don’t like it then you saved 100% of the purchase price, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah aren't paradox save files just very big text documents, seems like it would be trivial to use them on the Steam version when I inevitably get it when the expansion comes out

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Have we had any indication as to whether or not horse events are in ck3? I'd love to have a great dynasty of horses.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Achievements seem very...achievable, too. Was this how CK2 was at launch? That start as that French count and become King of Jerusalem one I never got close to, much less the Aladdin achievement. (I know these came with DLC, but the toughest one this time seems to be convert all of Africa to your reformed pagan religion)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

papersack posted:

What's wrong with the Xbox store? Ive only had it a week but the downloads have been fast, give me an option on which drive to install to, and easily pause / resume downloads. It isnt the poo poo fest that is the microsoft store.

No, the gamepass app is quite decent and I've never really had any instability with games there compared with steam versions. It's a great service to try things out risk free when they put new games like this on it, especially while the price is still $5.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

Have we had any indication as to whether or not horse events are in ck3? I'd love to have a great dynasty of horses.

None seen in the wild yet, but I’ll miss my goofy horse bishop.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

papersack posted:

It should be like any other game and save in your documents or appdata folder.

I thought the Xbox store WAS the microsoft store.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Has Glitterhoof made any appearances yet?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The North Tower posted:

Achievements seem very...achievable, too. Was this how CK2 was at launch? That start as that French count and become King of Jerusalem one I never got close to, much less the Aladdin achievement. (I know these came with DLC, but the toughest one this time seems to be convert all of Africa to your reformed pagan religion)

iirc the only super hard original CK2 achievement was the one to remake the Abassaid Caliphate. The rest were much more pedestrian.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

explosivo posted:

Do you have $1?

:tviv:

Thank you so much!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

abrosheen posted:

Has Glitterhoof made any appearances yet?

I believe OPB made a hint that it's possible to choose that name for your warhorse in a certain martial lifestyle event, but it requires specific circumstances to get that particular option. Cue speculation in the chat that the ruler needs the Lunatic trait.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought the Xbox store WAS the microsoft store.

It's a separate thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

papersack posted:

It's a separate thing.

The Xbox App has a store. The Microsoft Store contains the Xbox App. The Xbox App also contains the Xbox Gamepass (for PC).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I kinda hope there is a dlc in the future that adds the weird supernatural stuff from CK2 back in, but I understand why they went for a more grounded historical flavor for CK3

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I kinda hope there is a dlc in the future that adds the weird supernatural stuff from CK2 back in, but I understand why they went for a more grounded historical flavor for CK3

If not, there will probably be plenty of mods for it.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Warrior lodges were the best.

Also devil worshipping in after the end as an Americanist was worshipping Communism which was a neat touch lol

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

If not, there will probably be plenty of mods for it.

I feel like it's going to be a race to see which total conversion mod releases first - Game of Thrones, Elder Kings, Geheimnisnacht, or After the End.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wonder if the Game of Thrones one will actually reach parity with the CK2 one, given how the show ended and folks seem much less interested in it. It'd be a shame if it never did, because that was a seriously good mod.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wonder if the Game of Thrones one will actually reach parity with the CK2 one, given how the show ended and folks seem much less interested in it. It'd be a shame if it never did, because that was a seriously good mod.

It was mostly based on the books anyway.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I could honestly live without the GoT one, but can't wait to see what the others do. I imagine the 3D modelling is going to slow them up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I think someone pointed out in this thread or the CK2 thread that aging modifiers will be much easier to mod, since it’s baked into a dynasty-trait (bloodline? I forget the terminology), so there could be some cool things with that like a LotR mod where elves can actually be 1,000 years old.