Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

erm, no lol?? mods?? mods????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

erm, no lol?? mods?? mods????

Something

Needs to be done about this

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

comingafteryouall posted:

Are you running your NGUs during the first 12 hours or only the last 12 of a run? Halving your NGU run time is going to slow down progress a lot, and time machine/augments doesn't really help all that much with progression.

Also, take some time to buy some R3 potions and you can get a big immediate boost from your hacks if you haven't done it in a while.

You'll be surprised at how quickly multiple sources of adventure stat % increases will make your adventure stats shoot up.

I'm at the end game, and unfortunately I'm out of those sources except for sadistic NGUs and the last wish, so I'm basically just waiting for the next update to move forward in adventure.

During the last 12. I basically start things up before i go to work and spread my E/M/3 evenly across Adv. Training/augments/time machine/wandoos/blood and wishes. Then when i get back in after work i move E/M out of everything other than wishes and blood and dump it into NGUs. I figured i need to do that to sustain my level above the godmother.

Thinking about it though, i don't actually need to get my boss level up past the interdimensional party if i'm trying to just level up my adventure stats do i? I can still access my optimal ITPOD level and that's where i'll get most of the EXP as well as the gold for my time machine.

So i should basically just chuck a certain % of my E/M/3 into blood/time machine (for gold digger boosts) and wishes and then the rest into NGUs?

I'm saving up for that Normal -> Evil NGU Perk at the minute and have a second wish slot from somewhere, but i'll focus a bit more on the adventure stat perks.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Kin posted:

So i should basically just chuck a certain % of my E/M/3 into blood/time machine (for gold digger boosts) and wishes and then the rest into NGUs?

Yeah, this is probably going to be the case for most rebirths from now on (barring more future features that use up those resources). Eventually, you may want to have dedicated sets for NGUs/Wishes/hacking, with each rebirth being dedicated to focusing on one of them on top of a small % going into your blood/tm/advanced training.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

At what point ought I switch from 98 to MEH? Immediately if I can cap out 98 comfortably? I've got 27 million E and 13 million M at the moment.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Black Griffon posted:

At what point ought I switch from 98 to MEH? Immediately if I can cap out 98 comfortably? I've got 27 million E and 13 million M at the moment.

it's usually sometime after you cap out 98 but not right away. usually it's sooner if you're at a point you can permarun AT (i don't think you're there) but you can easily test by doing a couple rb of similar length and peepin the overall bonus you get and comparing

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Eldercain posted:

it's usually sometime after you cap out 98 but not right away. usually it's sooner if you're at a point you can permarun AT (i don't think you're there) but you can easily test by doing a couple rb of similar length and peepin the overall bonus you get and comparing

What's AT? I guess the fact that I don't recognize the name is a giveaway, but yeah.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

What's AT? I guess the fact that I don't recognize the name is a giveaway, but yeah.

Advanced Training

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah, then I guess my confusion is more at "permarunning" AT.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, then I guess my confusion is more at "permarunning" AT.

Advanced Training is one of the key components to progression once you're far enough into the game to cap it out and leave it capped.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Right. I put about 1000 levels into wandoos speed at the moment before shifting it all over to adventure stats, so it sounds like I should keep 98 going for a bit.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

he promised PROMISED it'd be out in october and if it's not he will be cast into an oubliette

there is i think a lot of game tho and i think the beta is linked in the ngu-i discord somewhere

Hey look Kong imploding was not in my plans okay

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there are too many instances of 69 in ngu that have gone un-loled

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Aurora posted:

there are too many instances of 69 in ngu that have gone un-loled

What if it's super meta and there are 69 instances?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

something posted:

Hey look Kong imploding was not in my plans okay

PROMISED

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Aren't we edging ever closer to the one-year anniversary of NGU Idle on Steam? Time flies when you're waiting so much.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Any tips for getting to e40 crumbs and sacrifice in Synergism? I'm at e35 and I feel like I've been at this stage forever, slowly grinding up my crumb production. It feels like I'm doing something wrong with how long it's taking.

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Any tips for getting to e40 crumbs and sacrifice in Synergism? I'm at e35 and I feel like I've been at this stage forever, slowly grinding up my crumb production. It feels like I'm doing something wrong with how long it's taking.

At e36 you'll be able to buy a Tier VI ant, which will dramatically increase your production and get you to e40 pretty quickly.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Does anyone here play WAMI? Is it worthwhile?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's basically just discount NGU, so I'd play it if you really like NGU and can't get enough, and are willing to also play Great Value brand NGU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Having written guides for NGU, I am not sure whether I would love it or get a coronary.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

pokie posted:

I played it for a good month - it does some interesting things with the basic mechanics of NGU (Energy cap is a currency you can spend on mechanics, adventure mode item drops automatically raise levels but go to a much higher level limit) but too many of the mechanics eventually didn't have enough automation or got too fiddly and I eventually quit. It has some good ideas but seemed to be releasing content faster than it could be polished.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

pokie posted:

WAMI is good and has a LOT of different mechanics that all feed into each other. There's a lot of fiddling and a lot of QoL/automation is locked behind the premium currency (which is given out similarly to NGU, at a drip feed but still generous enough).

I really enjoyed it and ended up getting pretty far (stage 450ish? that's many months of playing). That isn't even the end of the content so if it jams with you it will hold you for a long time.

Edit: It's pretty active, but long reincarnations are very much a thing, some challenges take a couple days, but it's generally fine to tweak a few things here and there and then let it burn for however long you want.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 29, 2020

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Aight, how active of an idler is WAMI compared to NGU?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm playing incremental adventures and I feel like I could be way more effective when my auto-prestige mechanics are activating.

I'm up to prestige 6 and now it's set to prestige on 'medium' floor changes prioritizing higher prestiges first when I can get a x100 multiplier or better. But it doesn't seem to work particularly well given how long it's taking. Anybody have insight?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

I can close the Ordinal Markup tab now.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I'm playing incremental adventures and I feel like I could be way more effective when my auto-prestige mechanics are activating.

I'm up to prestige 6 and now it's set to prestige on 'medium' floor changes prioritizing higher prestiges first when I can get a x100 multiplier or better. But it doesn't seem to work particularly well given how long it's taking. Anybody have insight?

I haven't played it in ages but small floor change was better and you definitely wanna prioritize lower layers first. You don't even need anything besides layer 1-3 prestiges, the others are just too tiny and take too long to build back up.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pokie posted:

I'd say so. I've been running it in parallel with NGU, and while NGU has far better production values and smoother early game I've found my interest for Sadistic (Difficulty 3, the final stretch of the game) fall off a cliff, while at a (relatively) comparable point with WAMI I'm still engaged.

pokie posted:

Aight, how active of an idler is WAMI compared to NGU?

They're about the same, if you know peak NGU activity around Evil (Difficulty 2) that's roughly how active you need to be with WAMI for good results. It doesn't feel like it falls into NGU's best groove around when 24 hour runs were the best, but the flip-side is that I feel like I get decent progress in roughly 3-day resets with a little adjustment to what I'm doing daily. Once you clear the early Challenges you'll end up with a bunch of perks that make it so resetting actually requires very little tedious fiddling, which is something I appreciated a lot over the course of my time with it.

That's not to say it doesn't have flaws, because it does. Others have had other issues, but beyond the universally agreed upon take that it just looks kinda ugly, my personal pet peeve is that much later on in the game a few very specific and very significant bonuses are only factored into their relevant calculations while the game is running; basically a few things have to be done with at least a bit of game-is-open idling and I'd much MUCH prefer for that stuff to factor into offline calculations as well and I've got no idea why it doesn't.

e.: Right now my jam is Idle Wizard; the ridiculous complexity of single-run builds is fascinating to me. Terrible IAP model but the production quality is fantastic and when you hit major power spikes or get a build that runs right there's nothing quite like it. Probably the most wiki-dependent of any Idle game I've played in a long time, tho.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 29, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I've been playing Magic Chop Idle lately. It's pretty simple and relatively short but I like it. The dev apparently intends on expanding it over time.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
In Synergism I finally got a completion in the Sadistic challenge, so after I gather up enough materials to get the last upgrade for the plastic talisman I think I'll have run out of content? What should I do to speed that up, buff up speed rune and SI rune or something?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Red Minjo posted:

In Synergism I finally got a completion in the Sadistic challenge, so after I gather up enough materials to get the last upgrade for the plastic talisman I think I'll have run out of content? What should I do to speed that up, buff up speed rune and SI rune or something?

It honestly doesn't matter. You're effectively out of content now -- the next patch will introduce a new reset tier that resets all the progress you've made in return for a new currency.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Maybe it's just me, but my pet peeve with NGU is in how every active timer only shows time remaining until completion, without showing the total time needed for completion (daycare items, hacks, wishes, cards being the biggest offenders here). It'd be much easier to see what effect various perks have on different features if you knew the total time without guesstimating it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Youth Decay posted:

I've been playing Magic Chop Idle lately. It's pretty simple and relatively short but I like it. The dev apparently intends on expanding it over time.

This is neat, thanks for sharing it

Also I reinstalled Antimatter Dimensions again yesterday and tried continuing my cloud save and realized I completely forget how to play that game but I'm not sure if I want to start again from scratch. Meh.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

I'd say so. I've been running it in parallel with NGU, and while NGU has far better production values and smoother early game I've found my interest for Sadistic (Difficulty 3, the final stretch of the game) fall off a cliff, while at a (relatively) comparable point with WAMI I'm still engaged.

They're about the same, if you know peak NGU activity around Evil (Difficulty 2) that's roughly how active you need to be with WAMI for good results. It doesn't feel like it falls into NGU's best groove around when 24 hour runs were the best, but the flip-side is that I feel like I get decent progress in roughly 3-day resets with a little adjustment to what I'm doing daily. Once you clear the early Challenges you'll end up with a bunch of perks that make it so resetting actually requires very little tedious fiddling, which is something I appreciated a lot over the course of my time with it.

That's not to say it doesn't have flaws, because it does. Others have had other issues, but beyond the universally agreed upon take that it just looks kinda ugly, my personal pet peeve is that much later on in the game a few very specific and very significant bonuses are only factored into their relevant calculations while the game is running; basically a few things have to be done with at least a bit of game-is-open idling and I'd much MUCH prefer for that stuff to factor into offline calculations as well and I've got no idea why it doesn't.

e.: Right now my jam is Idle Wizard; the ridiculous complexity of single-run builds is fascinating to me. Terrible IAP model but the production quality is fantastic and when you hit major power spikes or get a build that runs right there's nothing quite like it. Probably the most wiki-dependent of any Idle game I've played in a long time, tho.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I am in Sad in NGU as well, so I get what you are saying. I mostly play the game still because I dig the discord community.

As for IAP, while I am fine tossing some money at creators of good games, past a certain point I feel no shame using Cheat Engine.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Okay, so I've finished Greasy Nerd v2 and v3 is a huge wall. Should I instead rebirth and head for boss 158 and farm up the Meta Land set, then work on v3?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Youth Decay posted:

explosivo posted:

This is neat, thanks for sharing it

AAAAnd I'm done.. Aw. I knew it was short but was hoping it'd be longer than a day's worth of idling.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
So I am playing NGU and something weird is going on.

I have been grinding the final Sadistic Wish Accessory Slot. It only has 4 hours 3 min left and has not ticked a second off today while I have been playing at work. It has all my magic/energy/R3. Other Wishes I can watch the seconds tick off but not my 4 hour 3 min Accessory slot. Any Ideas?

Edit - it might be displaying the wrong total time? When I sort by total cost it next to things with 9+ days left?

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 1, 2020

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

ScottyJSno posted:

So I am playing NGU and something weird is going on.

I have been grinding the final Sadistic Wish Accessory Slot. It only has 4 hours 3 min left and has not ticked a second off today while I have been playing at work. It has all my magic/energy/R3. Other Wishes I can watch the seconds tick off but not my 4 hour 3 min Accessory slot. Any Ideas?

This is a fairly common bug with that wish about how the the game keeps track of really, really big numbers - I think it's called a "floating point calculation" error, and your progress is so small compared to what you need that the game rounds your progress each second to 0. You can either pop a potion or wait until your stats are a bit higher to pass it, I believe it only happens at a few specific points in the wish progress bar.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Manyorcas posted:

This is a fairly common bug with that wish about how the the game keeps track of really, really big numbers - I think it's called a "floating point calculation" error, and your progress is so small compared to what you need that the game rounds your progress each second to 0. You can either pop a potion or wait until your stats are a bit higher to pass it, I believe it only happens at a few specific points in the wish progress bar.

Does closing the game for 5 hours work? Figure the offline progress calculator might be a bit different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
yep, cause then i add it all in one lump.