Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Djarum posted:

The RNC was something in general. I have only seen some clips here and there but it seems like it was insane.

God then being off for a month is going to be nuts, especially with how fast things are going anymore.

The RNC was insanely bizarre because they all acted like Trump defeated the pandemic but also that Trump hasn't been president the past four years.

It was straight up "elect Trump to save yourselves from Trump's America".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alhazred posted:

I'm impressed that show wasn't just John Oliver endlessly screaming into the void.

That's what he's going to be doing until the 27th

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Republicans have organized themselves to be directly opposed to the basic needs of all humans in general as well as directly targeting various demographics between trying to establish them as subservient underclasses and direct elimination. They tactically oppose academia or science that could disadvantage or expose them or their backers or their lies. They are so dedicated to upholding the class system that they dismantle any possible social good rather than risking people benefiting "who don't deserve it" (IE; not entitled to it because of their parentage/wealth). Also they tend to cover all of that with a whole lot of senility, dogwhistling, and outight death worship.

It's kind of impressive when I'm not busy being directly repulsed by it all. Biden's not great, but definitely John's right when he said that more important are the progressives further down the ballot who can shift the party and spearhead changes even in opposition to the rest of the party, and hopefully protests can shift things as well.

Also I'm a little grumpy that John Oliver didn't name my former hometown when mentioning competitors to Danbury, but I guess it was small and didn't have its own hospital.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The RNC was insanely bizarre because they all acted like Trump defeated the pandemic but also that Trump hasn't been president the past four years.

It was straight up "elect Trump to save yourselves from Trump's America".

It's even crazier because they literally reused the text of their 2016 platform that talks about how the "current administration" has wreaked havoc upon the nation.

I imagine that if they actually started to iron out their platform they'd be in for a bunch of weird disagreements that they wouldn't expect, because every time Trump shits out of his mouth, he can't keep a drat coherent sentence together and if he does he immediately denies what he said, so all the personality worship involves making up your own image of Trump's opinions that agree with your own.

I think it's impossible to really tell when it will fall apart, whether they'll try continuing the cult after he's out of office or give up when he's no longer useful, and what will happen when the cult does dissolve, what new monsters will come to the front, or will the survivors of the old party assert themselves in their own weird way.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SlothfulCobra posted:

after he's out of office

I admire your optimism. I mean, he's already "joking" about "12 more years". And the next cult leader is already right there in front of us (he doesn't even have a different name).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

webmeister posted:

I admire your optimism. I mean, he's already "joking" about "12 more years". And the next cult leader is already right there in front of us (he doesn't even have a different name).

The next cult leader is Ivanka, not Jr. I'm pretty sure she's even mentioned wanting to be the first female president in the past.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nah, the next leader of the alt-right isn't anyone in Trump's coterie. A narcissist can't tolerate the presence of anyone they think might mistake for a peer. As a result, everyone around Trump is legendarily incompetent and a black hole of charisma.

Trump might want it to anoint Ivanka, but she doesn't have that greasy magnetism which is the essence of a life-long huckster. She won't have the same draw.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

None of them have the weird charisma Trump has. Ivanka is too practiced and phony and Junior is trying too hard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think you can really say who has whatever factor people find appealing about Trump because it's hard to tell if you're outside of the cult, and even if you're inside the cult, it's impossible to know whether what you like is what all the other broken brains like.

I don't think any other human has the same mix of constant never stopping lies and senile incapability to even make coherent statements that can be interpreted as literally anything though. Generally fascism tends to sabotage all potential successors one way or another so the next guy has to rebuild everything from scratch.

webmeister posted:

I can't consider the continuation of president mass murder for now because I don't think I can handle that.

Although if you're going down that road, there's no reason to expect the election to even be resolved.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This was what I was referring to, specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7P0ZfIXe1A

Boy, that segregationists/abolitionists part is just so perfect.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stare-Out posted:

Boy, that segregationists/abolitionists part is just so perfect.

"Oops, I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet!"

I also loved Donald John President.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The Mayor of Danbury is working on getting those dollars now
https://patch.com/connecticut/danbury/john-oliver-wants-danbury-mayor-make-good-sewage-plant-joke

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe Ivanka is Feyd to Trump's Beast Rabban

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

"Oops, I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet!"

I also loved Donald John President.

Being home to the underground railway is also bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://tvline.com/2020/09/14/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-renewed-three-seasons/

3 season renewal!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's gonna look like the cryptkeeper by the end

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/politics/trump-drug-prices.html

Trump tried to basically have big pharma send out bribes to the elderly as part of the lower drug price legislation :rollers:

With Ruth dying Oliver certainly took an eventful couple of weeks off

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Can't find a video clip so a gif will have to do

https://twitter.com/enews/status/1307850320601640961

And from the press conference, I presume https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1307874282379177984

Ignis fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 21, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/M8IeNLzdZUM

Here's the whole video from Kimmel's channel

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A longer video, covering both him crying over Liverpool, and that rat painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuL8buT3A6E

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I love their friendship :3

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The best picture

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
young david mitchell looks weird af

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Richard Ayoade must have done a deal with the devil. How can he still look the same while Mitchell and Oliver have aged so much?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Forum Joe posted:

Richard Ayoade must have done a deal with the devil. How can he still look the same while Mitchell and Oliver have aged so much?

Fun Fact: Jon Cena and John Oliver are actually the same age.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

young david mitchell looks weird af

Wait till you see old david mitchell

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait till you see old david mitchell

He looks great with that beard tbf

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

who's the stiff wearing the tie?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alhazred posted:

Fun Fact: Jon Cena and John Oliver are actually the same age.

Lies.

That's not fun at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

He looks great with that beard tbf

Yeah, David Mitchell looks far better now than he did 20 years ago or whenever that picture is from. The beard really suits him, but even before he grew a beard he just looked a lot better with a bit of age on him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aces High posted:

who's the stiff wearing the tie?

Desmond O'Connor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_O%27Connor_(cabaret_performer)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Propaganda Machine posted:

Lies.

That's not fun at all.

Imagine how Oliver feels.

Probably the same as when I remember that Lebron James is 3 days younger than me...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat this is a great game, let's see which celebrities were born the same year as me and how decrepit they are now

E: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Moss, Misha Collins, Penelope Cruz, Christian Bale oh come on they're like .... perfect human specimens :gonk:

E2: Steve-O, jackpot!!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Honestly, the guys from 91 don't look that great. https://www.imdb.com/search/name/?birth_year=1991-01-01,1991-12-31 I guess I look a bit better than a select few of those. Those women all look amazing, though. Dylan O'Brien looks attrocious on that picture.
From that list, number 41 looks by far the youngest. :v:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 24, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Liam Hemsworth, Donald Glover, Henry Cavill, Mila Kunis, Adam Driver and Emily Blunt are showing up for my year of birth (1983). Which would be pretty depressing, if I didn't mollify myself by rationalizing that it's relatively easy to look good when you have essentially infinite money to throw at the task, and an army of people who are employed by both themselves and studios to ensure they look that good using make up, fitted suits that cost thousands of dollars apiece etc. for awards shows, in films etc. Edward Snowden is also in that list, and he seems far more indicative, since he's not going to have those advantages. He still looks better than me, but it's mostly the fact he's not somewhat pudgy, and wears decent suits in most shots you see of him rather than a cheap t-shirt and some jeans or shorts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That was a pretty bad episode. Should have just put up a 30 minute long video that just consisted of a graphic saying "poo poo's hosed and there's literally nothing you can do about it" and taken another week off.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It was a good episode but reality makes this show hard to watch. I know he's preaching to the choir but I hope there are some who haven't yet, who do the census stuff and register to vote. Man that Sean Penn audiobook though.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Azhais posted:

That was a pretty bad episode. Should have just put up a 30 minute long video that just consisted of a graphic saying "poo poo's hosed and there's literally nothing you can do about it" and taken another week off.
28 minutes, gotta leave that DVD menu piece.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Man that Sean Penn audiobook though.

It felt like Cormac McCarthy after him having a lobothomy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Everyone needs to read the Atlantic piece.

The Election That Could Break America

“If you are a voter, think about voting in person after all. More than half a million postal votes were rejected in this year’s primaries, even without Trump trying to suppress them. If you are at relatively low risk for COVID-19, volunteer to work at the polls. If you know people who are open to reason, spread word that it is normal for the results to keep changing after Election Night.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tsob posted:

Liam Hemsworth, Donald Glover, Henry Cavill, Mila Kunis, Adam Driver and Emily Blunt are showing up for my year of birth (1983). Which would be pretty depressing, if I didn't mollify myself by rationalizing that it's relatively easy to look good when you have essentially infinite money to throw at the task, and an army of people who are employed by both themselves and studios to ensure they look that good using make up, fitted suits that cost thousands of dollars apiece etc. for awards shows, in films etc. Edward Snowden is also in that list, and he seems far more indicative, since he's not going to have those advantages. He still looks better than me, but it's mostly the fact he's not somewhat pudgy, and wears decent suits in most shots you see of him rather than a cheap t-shirt and some jeans or shorts.

Adam Driver looks weird though. He's just tall.