Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm in the market for lime bitters to use with rum. Trying to choose between Fee Brothers, Scrappys, or a simple homemade tincture of peeled zest and just enough 151 demarara to cover. Or maybe just buy culinary lime oil/extract?

Reviews for Fee seems not good so probably not that.

I wish I had access to fresh makrut/kaffir limes. Not just the leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm in the market for lime bitters to use with rum. Trying to choose between Fee Brothers, Scrappys, or a simple homemade tincture of peeled zest and just enough 151 demarara to cover. Or maybe just buy culinary lime oil/extract?

Reviews for Fee seems not good so probably not that.

I wish I had access to fresh makrut/kaffir limes. Not just the leaves.

Scrappys is never a bad decision.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m spoiled because the bar supply shop near me has a bench with over a hundred different bitters on it available for sampling at will.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

The grapefruit bitters were such a success I'd like to try something else (in a much smaller qty) if anyone has a recommendation on homemade bitters.

I'm quite impressed with redwood bitters, which right now are just young needles in 100 proof vodka (best I could find on a short trip). It was very underwhelming at 1 week but it's at 2 weeks and I'm happy! Simple soda with simple syrup so far, but I'll try more later. If you have different pines around I'm sure other varieties would be good too.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Also, as punishment for my hubris: I put Nikka From the Barrel in a sidecar last night and it was actually gross. The lemon juice highlighted an unpleasant acrid note that the Nikka has and the drink and the spirit were just worse for off for the combination.

This is making me so sad.

On another note: I just picked up a bottle of Bonal. What should I make with it?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fee brothers bitters are glycerol based and non-alcoholic. Glycerol is comparable to alcohol in terms of extractive power but it's sweet and tends to pull different flavors out of things. Notably, it's much better at extracting the flavor of fruits than alcohol is - which is why Fee brothers fruit bitters taste more like fresh fruit than other companies. Unfortunately the side effect of the synthetic taste of the glycerol kind of ruins the flavor of their bitters to begin with.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Scythe posted:

This is making me so sad.

On another note: I just picked up a bottle of Bonal. What should I make with it?

Spritzes! Mix it with dry sparkling wine and/or seltzer, plus whatever garnishes you like (fruit segments, citrus peels, olives, herbs).

When I'm out somewhere nice I always really like a Bonal on the rocks with an orange twist either before or after a decadent meal. Do that, too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm quite impressed with redwood bitters, which right now are just young needles in 100 proof vodka (best I could find on a short trip). It was very underwhelming at 1 week but it's at 2 weeks and I'm happy! Simple soda with simple syrup so far, but I'll try more later. If you have different pines around I'm sure other varieties would be good too.

Interesting. I do have pines. I'll try a small bottle and see.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lesson I’ve learned this week: you can skate by without citrus, or without vermouth, but if you don’t have at least one of those, you’re either mixing an old fashioned or going to the store.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lesson I’ve learned this week: you can skate by without citrus, or without vermouth, but if you don’t have at least one of those, you’re either mixing an old fashioned or going to the store.

Clearly you don't know the glory of an alexander!

Jokes aside you're right, they both really are the foundations of cocktails. I guess highballs, but I'd bet of the top 3+ ingredient cocktails, most have one or the other.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Though a cuba libre always beats a rum & coke :v:

Looking through my list, the only ones that you can make without citrus or vermouth which are favorites of mine:

Sazerac w/o lemon twist
Toronto
Campari Manhattan
G&T with Hendricks & cucumber
B&B on the rocks

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm sorta having the opposite problem right now, I've a bunch dry vermouth but none of my cocktail books have that indexed to ingredients like that. Any one have any good vermouth recipes?

Carillon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 5, 2020

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Carillon posted:

I'm sorta having the opposite problem right now, I've a bunch dry vermouth but none of my cocktail books have that indexed to ingredients like that. Any one have any good vermouth recipes?

Have a martini and think it over.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Carillon posted:

Make an Old Pal! Equal parts rye, Campari and dry vermouth, lemon twist.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All your red vermouth wants to be in negronis. All your white vermouth wants to be in a contessa, which is equal parts gin, white vermouth, and aperol.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Scofflaw is a good dry vermouth cocktail

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, what good does grenadine do except make the bottom 10% of the drink red

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I have heard that high-quality/homemade grenadine is on an entirely different level than the bottled stuff, but I've never bothered to make it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's like the difference between Kool Aid and actual juice, yes. And it's stupid easy to make.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Campari Manhattan

Boulavadier minus the vermouth? Ratios? Please and thankyou

E: anyone have recommendations on tiki ebooks? I need a recipe book but I'd love for it to contain a rundown on history etc too

field balm fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 6, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

field balm posted:

Boulavadier minus the vermouth? Ratios? Please and thankyou

It was my attempt to fake a Manhattan when I had moved so I was temp. out of sweet vermouth:

2 oz Rittenhouse Rye
0.75 oz Campari
0.5 oz simple
Ango

I liked it, but then again it has Campari in it so I repeat myself

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That earl grey sour I was gushing about earlier makes a lovely fizz. I think the richness of the sour is the ultimate winner, but the thick, silky earl grey flavored foam of the fizz is a lovely experience in its own right. My partner said it looked like “the classic beer of homer.”

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The fizz is the most underrated of drink formats. That looks lovely.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What's a decent, cheapish brandy to pick up for cocktails? $20-30 budget, I know nothing of brandy

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Toebone posted:

What's a decent, cheapish brandy to pick up for cocktails? $20-30 budget, I know nothing of brandy

If you're down with apple brandy you should be able to find some Laird's 100 proof in that range, don't buy the Applejack it's mostly GNS. Lustau makes some cheaper brandies that I don't mind in cocktails. My personal favorite for cocktails is Pierre Ferrand 1840, but it runs about $40-50. The 1840 is a decent sipper as well.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you can find it, Gilles Brisson VS is really good for its price @~$30/btl for a Premier Cru VS. It's a little Oakier than most but that tends to work well for cocktails.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Chatelle VSOP is surprisingly good for the price. It's approachable, mixes easily, and is smoother than a lot of the cheaper cognacs. The worst I can say about it is that it's not very complex.

If you want to try something a little different for sipping, you could always try a Spanish brandy like Torres. Full of character and very affordable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hennessy VS is a common brandy at that price point and will normally do you well if you don't have anything more interesting at the store. Even Courvoisier VSOP can be had for around $30 depending on where you are, and that's likewise an easy one to expect to see on a random liquor store shelf anywhere in America.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toebone posted:

My go to is Maison Rouge. It's solid in brandy and soda, which I would say is it's main use, but have been happy with it whenever I've had call to use cognac.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Carolina Distillery makes a Carriage House apple brandy that is delicious, runs about $25- 30 here. They make strawberry too but I haven't tried it, about $20. Not sure if it's sold out of state.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Who drinks Seagram's 7? I mean generally speaking, I'm assuming there are bartenders here so I'm wondering if it's used as a well whiskey or in cocktails besides 7&7; or specifically if you want to out yourself. 30+ years ago 7&7 were popular but I haven't seen anyone order one in almost that long. No one talks about it, never seen anyone buy it, but it's positioned near the front counter in our local liquor store. Weeks ago I bought a pint for shits & giggles, decided to mix it 1:1 with Fever Tree ginger beer over ice and I'd rather have this than a Russian Mule. I know they are popular and have a cool name but deep down I'm not the biggest fan of vodka. By itself S7 is bland but inoffensive, no depth but no bad flavors. Seems like an excellent substitute for vodka.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's why I keep Canadian Club around.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

wormil posted:

Who drinks Seagram's 7? I mean generally speaking, I'm assuming there are bartenders here so I'm wondering if it's used as a well whiskey or in cocktails besides 7&7; or specifically if you want to out yourself. 30+ years ago 7&7 were popular but I haven't seen anyone order one in almost that long. No one talks about it, never seen anyone buy it, but it's positioned near the front counter in our local liquor store. Weeks ago I bought a pint for shits & giggles, decided to mix it 1:1 with Fever Tree ginger beer over ice and I'd rather have this than a Russian Mule. I know they are popular and have a cool name but deep down I'm not the biggest fan of vodka. By itself S7 is bland but inoffensive, no depth but no bad flavors. Seems like an excellent substitute for vodka.

Some people think that Seagram's 7 is a bad whiskey. They are mistaken. It is a bad combination of 3/4 neutral grain spirits and 1/4 whiskey.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

Make an Old Pal! Equal parts rye, Campari and dry vermouth, lemon twist.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All your red vermouth wants to be in negronis. All your white vermouth wants to be in a contessa, which is equal parts gin, white vermouth, and aperol.

Thank you both btw. Over the long weekend I had a bunch of fun making drinks and both the old pal and the contessa were amazing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Carillon posted:

My go to is Maison Rouge. It's solid in brandy and soda, which I would say is it's main use, but have been happy with it whenever I've had call to use cognac.

Also this, maison rouge has positioned itself well as a good cocktail cognac at a good price.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

eSports Chaebol posted:

Some people think that Seagram's 7 is a bad whiskey. They are mistaken. It is a bad combination of 3/4 neutral grain spirits and 1/4 whiskey.

So what is keeping the brand alive? Who is drinking it?
Someone will say old people but I'm probably old people to most of you and I don't know anyone that drinks S7. None of my older relatives drink S7, they tend to drink Canadian whiskey, white rum, or gin. So there is a market for it. Same with Kessler, I've never seen anyone drink it, buy it, or had it myself but Beam claims it's the 2nd best seller. Kessler is $18/bottle, for a few more bucks you can get legit good whiskey.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

wormil posted:

Someone will say old people but I'm probably old people to most of you and I don't know anyone that drinks S7. None of my older relatives drink S7, they tend to drink Canadian whiskey, white rum, or gin. So there is a market for it. Same with Kessler, I've never seen anyone drink it, buy it, or had it myself but Beam claims it's the 2nd best seller. Kessler is $18/bottle, for a few more bucks you can get legit good whiskey.

According to this, it's selling at ~2 million cases per year and that puts it in the top 30 spirit brands. I'm not certain where you used to go before the pandemic, but there were definitely dive bars near me that would do a solid trade in it. I'm not sure on the demographics, I know that market research can cost money to find, but I'd figure dive bars and places where it's mainly shot and a beer.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

wormil posted:

Based on the commercials, I'm pretty sure their wine coolers can carry the brand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Is3P0YlDHs

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

wormil posted:

Stuff like that is still very much the go-to well whiskey of choice for dive bars all over the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carillon posted:

According to this, it's selling at ~2 million cases per year and that puts it in the top 30 spirit brands. I'm not certain where you used to go before the pandemic, but there were definitely dive bars near me that would do a solid trade in it. I'm not sure on the demographics, I know that market research can cost money to find, but I'd figure dive bars and places where it's mainly shot and a beer.

Guess I'm not going to dive-y enough bars, ha. Found with other (not liquor) brands that they survive by going deep into niche industries and so the general public never hears about the brand but they are successful nonetheless. Makes sense it's true for liquor too.