Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

I hope excellent bird guy keeps posting, oddly enough. As much as every single thing they cook makes me cringe, I also really want to see some against-all-odds cinderella story come out of this whole thing where they suddenly evolve into a decent cook (after they finally learn to listen to advice).

I mean, there's only so long a human can continue making mistakes over and over without learning from them, right? Progress is inevitable :v:

Edit: and to keep it dinner-relevant, I'm making Kenji's meat loaf for the first time tonight. Unfortunately the supermarket didn't have marmite, but I can probably compensate for it somehow.

Thanks! I made a containment zone so I can have fun while also keeping track. Very cool dinners in here I am lurking the thread for ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Drone, please post how the Kenji meat loaf ends up. I did Carla’s (from BA) meat loaf a while ago and it was awesome, but hella greasy and took forever.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken breast, rice, tomato, tzatziki.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

excellent bird guy posted:

Ok. That's how i literally actually eat and it's not like something i'm making up for fun. fwiw someone in this thread recommended a book to me 'improvisational cook' and i did exactly what it said in the book for caramelized onions. So thanks for that.
I meant parmesan not powdered moz, it was confusion. I'll buy another skillet, I didn't realize how rusty it's become.

I just pulled out my copy of the book (different cover, it might be a different edition but probably this recipe hasn't really changed.) Here's the recipe*:

Caramelized Onions
Makes about 1 1/2 cups, 4 servings

2 pounds yellow onions (4 to 5 medium), peeled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Freshly ground black peopper

Slice the onions. Slice the onions in half through the stem. Using a mandline or a Benriner or a thin sharp knife, cut into 1/8 inch lengthwise slices. You should have about 6 cups.

Cook the onions covered to release the juices. In a large nonstick or seasoned cast iron skillet, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onions, sprinkle with salt, and toss to coat Cover and cook until the onions have released their liquid, about 13 minutes.

Caramelize the onions. Uncover, increase the heat to moderate, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking, stirrring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes longer. Pepper generously and adjust the seasoning. Remove from heat. The onions can be refrigerated, covered, up to 4 days.

It looks like you made it through the first two steps, but entirely omitted the caramelizing. That's a very important step, that's when the Maillard browning reaction really kicks in to build up flavor. Next time, take that a bit further, it'll be much better.

Second, caramelized onions aren't a meal by themselves. They're basically just fat and a bit of carbs. If you keep reading, the next few pages suggest a few things you can do to incorporate them as part of a meal: onion dip, onion tartines, porcini-onion soup, and an onion jam. I know you really want to concentrate on the basics, but I'd really suggest giving those a shot: you need to build intuition about how to incorporate individual elements together into a meal, not just how to cook and eat onions by themselves. You could also just toss them with some pasta.

* Since I recommended this cookbook, I feel the need to state this to defend myself from rampaging caramelized onion aficionados, since this topic can be kinda contentious. There are many ways to caramelize onions. I am not defending this one as "one true way", or even a particularly great method. It's just the way this cookbook, which is overall pretty decent, recommends, and will give acceptable, if not excellent, results for a beginner.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Karia posted:

I just pulled out my copy of the book (different cover, it might be a different edition but probably this recipe hasn't really changed.) Here's the recipe*:

Caramelize the onions. Uncover, increase the heat to moderate, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking, stirrring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes longer.

Here's the problem. Caramelizing onions in most home kitchens (with electric range / lovely gas range) does not take 20 minutes. It takes closer to an hour, depending on the size of your pot, thickness of onion slices, etc. The exact time varies a lot. It's better to judge based on color rather than time. Caramelized onions should be brown. Not white, not golden, not light tan. Brown.

Cookbooks consistently underestimate the amount of time it takes, probably because they know that nobody would bother to try if they put the full amount of time.

It's really not that long if you're doing other things at the same time, because you don't have to stir every second. Start some onions, keep an eye on them, and then do the rest of your meal while they cook. I suggest burgers - once your burger is cooked, put a little pile of caramelized onions on a burger and add a slice of Swiss cheese on top. Heat it up until the cheese has melted over the onions and burgers and then eat on a toasted bun.

[edit] I see now there is the "releasing liquid" step that is supposed to add another 10 minutes. 30 minutes might be enough if your onions are paper thin. Still, best to judge by color.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arglebargle III posted:

Should I not put kippers in scrambled eggs then? It seems like the salty flavor would go well with eggs.

Fish and eggs is certainly a noble tradition in the UK. Kedgeree is exceptionally good food, and everyone has heard of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, I’m sure. I’d prefer a fried egg with kippers or smoked mackerel though, the runny yolk is an important component.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fartington Butts posted:

Drone, please post how the Kenji meat loaf ends up.

Just finished dinner and, well... let's just say I'm not gonna be cooking grandma's recipe anymore.

This poo poo is legit as far as meat loaf goes. It's not exactly high cuisine or anything so I didn't bother with an :effort: plated shot, but:

I was very skeptical about how vinegary the glaze smelled before I brushed it on, but it came out fantastic... though next time Im going to apply it much more thickly than this time. I think my Pyrex dish was a bit too wide, hence why the loaf came out kinda flat, but it definitely still works. A lot of the comments on the Serious Eats page talk about how a lot of people think this is way too salty, but I think it works. Next time just in the interest of cutting out sodium though I might try to at least use low-sodium soy sauce, though the anchovy taste is gonna be hard to replicate without using actual anchovies.

Definitely going to make this again the next time I need some American comfort food.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
And yes, caramelised onions are done when they’re done, I’d allot an hour and a half for the process. As noted above, once they’re done reheating them is simple.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Made an approximation of shoyu ramen for the first time tonight. I feel like since we've been staying at home I've been doing a lot of firsts, in part to do something different since we can't eat out, and in part because we can't just run out to the store for things. Anyway, no pictures because it didn't come out pretty but it was very tasty. I particularly liked the creaminess of the yolk mixed with the broth. Added just a tiny bit of thin sliced red sweet peppers from our garden more for the visual aspect than the flavor. Had to make some substitutions and ended up with a mix of sherry and white vinegar instead of mirin and just chicken stock in place of the dashi. Recipe called for fresh ginger, which would've been nice but powdered worked well enough.

We have this Japanese cooking book that I took one look at probably over a decade ago and nope'd it back onto the shelf where it'd been gathering dust since. Picked it up again a few weeks ago and everything looks a lot more manageable. I guess ten years of cooking will do that. :)

Onion chat: Onions are nasty and you all can keep them.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Hallo dinner thread. I made this thing on Monday:

It's spicy miso pasta and it was loving awesome. Only issue was the recipe is good for 3-4 people that don't eat much (I was cooking for 4 mighty hungry folks). I might double it next time to get some leftovers.

Best part of the recipe is that it was quick and used stuff that I already had on hand. Just happened to have some bacon in the freezer.
I make this a lot, and it has never turned out badly. I have the opposite problem, in that I live alone, and it makes A LOT for one person with a tiny fridge/freezer.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Skrimps and grits and sour ales, oh my.

The kitchen staff members were slacking pretty hard tonight.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

toplitzin posted:

Skrimps and grits and sour ales, oh my.

The kitchen staff members were slacking pretty hard tonight.

Nice grits dawg

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It being UK summertime, the morning temperature here in London is 11C, or 53F. This sort of Sunday requires pot roast.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Hamburger, tator tots, franks red hot, terriyki

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kippers and eggs was still mind-shatteringly salty (even after I doubled the eggs) so now I'm planning to put it on toast as a spread.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Pot roast hit the spot.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Arglebargle III posted:

Kippers and eggs was still mind-shatteringly salty (even after I doubled the eggs) so now I'm planning to put it on toast as a spread.

Why not make kedgeree? The rice should soak up some of the salt.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

angerbeet posted:

Why not make kedgeree? The rice should soak up some of the salt.

Agreed, and you basically need to use no extra salt, cook the rice plain, use unsalted butter etc.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Katsu night.

There's leftovers too.
:getin:

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
1 that katsu looks fantastic.
2 please show us the katsu sando* you make with the leftovers.

*really hope you make a katsu sando with the leftovers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

1 that katsu looks fantastic.
2 please show us the katsu sando* you make with the leftovers.

*really hope you make a katsu sando with the leftovers.

*looks at box of golden curry*

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Mmm, katsu girlfriend meme.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Katsu night.

There's leftovers too.
:getin:

I want that please!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

toplitzin posted:

I find this acceptable as well. Proceed with my entirely unnecessary blessing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

no pictures because it isnt terribly photogenic, but I made modernist cuisine mac and cheese and added some braised beef short ribs. i cooked the pasta in a mix of water and the braising liquid. A+ imo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am apparently a big idiot and you're supposed to boil smoked herring for 3-5 minutes before cooking with it.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Eat This Glob posted:

no pictures because it isnt terribly photogenic, but I made modernist cuisine mac and cheese and added some braised beef short ribs. i cooked the pasta in a mix of water and the braising liquid. A+ imo

Liar

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arglebargle III posted:

I am apparently a big idiot and you're supposed to boil smoked herring for 3-5 minutes before cooking with it.

This seems a little excessive, but it entirely depends on your kipper. Like, you can buy hams that require leaching of excess salt, but you can also buy hams you can throw directly into the oven. A short soak in cold water might suffice.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Carnitas prep

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Iirc this was chicken cheese w rice

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

This was just a veggie burger with some spice rub, topped off with some leftover accoutrement's from last week's seitan tacos-- a little avocado crema, some kind of thrown together huli huli sauce, and a bunch of marinated cabbage that I think came out looking really pretty. Just a bit of tajin on top and plain old sharp sheddar.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

How Wonderful! posted:

This was just a veggie burger with some spice rub, topped off with some leftover accoutrement's from last week's seitan tacos-- a little avocado crema, some kind of thrown together huli huli sauce, and a bunch of marinated cabbage that I think came out looking really pretty. Just a bit of tajin on top and plain old sharp sheddar.

That color is amazing, a very deep red.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gnocchi, butter, mushrooms, feta, parsley

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We find this dinner to be self evident.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

We find this dinner to be self evident.

Not all pizzas are created equal. That’s a freaking great one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:swoon:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

no one calls me a liar on the internet!!1! i seek damages, you scoundrel!

exhibit a) proof of my intent to cook "good" mac and cheese via a text to my wife sent saturday afternoon

exhibit b) a pyrex bowl that housed the leftovers of the braised short rib mac and cheese after i gave the bowl to the dogs. the presence of adhered meat product and pasta indicates a high level of cheese sauce reheated in said bowl. it was so cheesy a pair of german shepherds could not fully clean the bowl. a bowl which, owed to my own laziness (which IS NOT ON TRIAL HERE) was not soaked in the sink, nor put in the dishwasher. it has proved sloth CAN be a virtue when one needs to prove their character!

guys, gals, and non-binary pals of the jury - i rest my case

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

in addition, the pasta pictured shows a slight off color hue. i used sharp white cheddar and swiss cheeses alongside milk and sodium citrate. the hue indicates the pasta was cooked in a liquid that was not wholly water.

I SAID GOOD DAY!!!1!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sister in law sent me this recipe for tomato bacon jam and it's fully sick, highly recommend: https://thecompletesavorist.com/tomato-bacon-jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Stringent posted:

Sister in law sent me this recipe for tomato bacon jam and it's fully sick, highly recommend: https://thecompletesavorist.com/tomato-bacon-jam

How sweet is it with a cup of brown sugar? 56 oz of tomatoes and a pound of bacon seems like it should be balanced, but I'm a weirdo in that regard. Obviously taste is subjective; I'm just curious about your take