Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When Hong Kong was protesting, they gave the Hong Kong police ops armor away for free

is this true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Blind Rasputin posted:

BP, that was a very well written and insightful post. I won’t quote it due to length. But with all that said would you go on to say that Bloodborne’s handling of the mentally unwell is actually problematic? After reading that, I think we can all agree that continuing to promote that game might be a bad idea...

It’s also clearly anti-socialized medicine too

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Rinkles posted:

is this true?

Search the answer inside your heart

https://ubisoft.com/en-us/game/rainbow-six/siege/news-updates/4Ze5TNJhDXysW870TGvyF/hk-police-bundle

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
:smithfrog:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Booooooooooooo-bisoft

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ive never played a Yakuza game, and I'm out of games at the moment. There are a pile of them in the PS Store, which one do I start with?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zero

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Bought, thanks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Usually I would say to play games in release order, but in this case I also say zero, because the remake of one is made with zero in mind.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BitBasher posted:

Bought, thanks!

I’m a few chapters into 3, and I’ve beaten Judgment as well and yeah, 0 is so good. I want to replay it, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 were good but 0 is just really incredible, and you play as Majima who, at least in 0, is my favorite character in the series.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it's almost completely a "did you remember how to fight the huge enemies that the camera can't deal with in BB y/n" fight

If you know to hug the rear end in a top hat and never let go, don't dodge, don't evade, just hold with both hands and try thrusting

He's never killed me :v:

Iudex Gundyr Mk. 2 is funny because it's a "now do you remember how the chalice dungeon bosses were FUCKER" fight

https://youtu.be/TrbDD7onr0o

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Why on earth didn't we ever see a sequel to Sleeping Dogs? Everyone I knew loved that game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Ive never played a Yakuza game, and I'm out of games at the moment. There are a pile of them in the PS Store, which one do I start with?

0 1 2 3 4 5 0 6 Judgment 7

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

derra posted:

0 1 2 3 4 5 0 6 Judgment 7

You said 0 twice!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Intentionally so, even!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BitBasher posted:

Why on earth didn't we ever see a sequel to Sleeping Dogs? Everyone I knew loved that game.

They were trying!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4w3bmj/inside-the-ambitious-sleeping-dogs-sequel-well-never-get-to-play

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BitBasher posted:

Square-Enix tried to cash in on the name and killed it (just like Deus Ex.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Is Day's Gone worth the time if you're picking it up at 15-20 bucks or whatever? I'm about to finish TLOU2 and really getting to the end of the quarantine games list. Maybe Prey? I've never played that but this thread seems to like it (though review consensus said middling).

If the choice is between Prey and Days Gone then go with Prey. Prey is the current epitome of the kind of environment design and exploration that the recent Deus Exes and Dishonored have been working toward so if you like exploring an incredibly well designed place in interesting ways then it’s the best you’re going to get.

On the other hand if you want an okay open world zombie game that has flashes of excellence then Days Gone is... fine. It’s fine. It’s way too long with both too little of substance and too much of filler spread out across the entire game had but for all its problems it is extremely surprising that everything still manages to work well enough.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Katamari Damacy Reroll is coming to PS4 in November.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hahaha, nice.

Wasn't there a bit where Rainbow Siege started removing stuff from maps to meet the conditions of the Chinese Government? Like the removal of slot machine models?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

ShineDog posted:

Days gone is entiredly saved by Sam witwers performance as the hero.

It has an enormous focus on the hero having dialogue for everything. Everything! Baffling amounts of comments on things you drive by and how fights are going and all kinds of stuff, to the point of it being almost farcical how he never, ever shuts up.

And its not a very good script. It's the kind of script that old comic writers do where the line looks fine on a page but could never be delivered by a sane human. Too many words, too verbose about simple things, wierd missing contractions that sound unnatural.

Witwer saves it by delivering it like he's about on the verge of a breakdown, just absolutely losing his poo poo when he hears a bad conspiracy theory or has to craft a bandage.

I don't believe that was the intention with the script at all as written but it's good fun.

Yeah he flips his poo poo and goes from 0 to 100 on so many of his lines, it's pretty entertaining.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

i wish they would do a real new katamari game instead of a re-release of a best-of of a re-skin of a ps2 title

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

My patience paid off, haha!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want to play Katamari in VR.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The best katamari content:

https://twitter.com/djshaqfanacc/status/1270243260947185664?s=21

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
katamari damacy is a cute but repetitive game that is completely 100% carried by its timeless ultra banger of a soundtrack and "yellow submarine but drunk" art style

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Katamari Damacy soundtrack and cowboy bebop soundtrack both occupy the space of being extremely good but if someone says they like them you instantly know they too are a nerd

Speaking of which all of cowboy bebop is up on spotify now

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ut7Nm3R39u9BZxP21eNzJ?si=iS70IGhoRRCLLopiSLxxSQ

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Like I too had a bunch of untagged katamari music on my first iPod, and a FLAC version of FFX’s soundtrack that took up more space than the game itself did

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BP your big post was great, thank you for writing all that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Katamari Damacy soundtrack and cowboy bebop soundtrack both occupy the space of being extremely good but if someone says they like them you instantly know they too are a nerd

Speaking of which all of cowboy bebop is up on spotify now

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ut7Nm3R39u9BZxP21eNzJ?si=iS70IGhoRRCLLopiSLxxSQ

Hell yeah. The four disc CD box set was the first piece of media I ever imported back in 2002.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The early PS3 models could play PS2 discs and translate remodels couldn't right? Is there any risk than later revisions of the PS5 will not be backwards compatible or lack a disc drive? That would be the only reason for me to buy a PS5 early.

I said come in! posted:

Your fans are probably fine, the system is just naturally very loud. I think the PS5 is suppose to be watercooled? So it will be really quiet.

And if it is indeed water cooled, then that is the biggest reason to NOT buy early. Water cooling is a potential system killer if it fails, I'd rather wait to see how that plays out.

Edit: had a glitch in my app, the last 2 pages didn't load for me, so I added a quote to give context.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 1, 2020

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Water cooled? What?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I look forward to the crowbcat video on the PS5 launch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna be the outlier here to say that Days Gone is poop from a butt.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lol the PS5 will not be water cooled because too many dumbfuck idiots will destroy their consoles and lose their poo poo at Sony

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Honestly all I want out of PS5 is a Witcher patch so I don't have to deal with these load times and pop-in, goddamn.

Yeah, I'm gonna play it another decade.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

BitBasher posted:

The Daptone radio station introduced me to Lee Fields, Sharon Jones, and the Budos Band (and Sugarman 3, and...), and for that I will always be appreciative. Well, that and shoving bad guy's faces into running air conditioners, and the sound when you ram someone's head into a payphone.

Criminally underrated game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
PS5 is not water cooled. They supposedly use liquid metal instead of the regular thermal paste for the CPU, though.

derra posted:

The improved HDD read speeds of the PS5 will apply to PS4 compatible games, right? That, along with forward compatibility is enough reason to get one at launch for me.

They won't be optimized for it but from playing some games on PC vs PS4 just having a SSD improves things considerably, for example in the newer Assassin's Creed games when you use your eagle to see the map, there's no loading when you close the map but on the PS4 it can take seconds before you can resume playing.

Also in related news:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/samsung-accidentally-leaks-details-of-its-upcoming-980-pro-nvme-ssd/

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 1, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:blush:

Thanks, y'all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hopper posted:

The early PS3 models could play PS2 discs and translate remodels couldn't right? Is there any risk than later revisions of the PS5 will not be backwards compatible or lack a disc drive? That would be the only reason for me to buy a PS5 early.

And if it is indeed water cooled, then that is the biggest reason to NOT buy early. Water cooling is a potential system killer if it fails, I'd rather wait to see how that plays out.

Edit: had a glitch in my app, the last 2 pages didn't load for me, so I added a quote to give context.

PS5 backwards compatibility is all an issue of dodgy game programming (most games are fine, there's just some outliers with stuff like weird coding running hardcoded at clock speed instead of a fixed speed apparently), it's fundamentally the same X86 architecture. The PS3's PS2 backwards compatibility went away because they physically excised the PS2 hardware after the launch models.

There's also zero chance the PS5's water-cooled. Water-cooling is an enthusiast's domain and expecting the average person to understand how to manage and maintain it is not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Literally the only time I've ever heard anyone claim the PS5 might be water cooled was ITT by one poster. It's not happening