Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't think the finished product is going to look Low Budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm honestly kinda down with Low Budget sci-fi as an aesthetic if only because I wonder where they DID put the budget, and that Dune might well lend itself to it. I think a big part of Dune, if only because of the literary origins, is they don't focus on individual fancy gear and instead use major setpieces of plot significance.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i hope we get to see ol' Dunc really flip the gently caress out in this. no off screen murder, show us what he can do.
I, for one, am hoping for a successful franchise that will see Duncan No. 112 climb a wall and excite a Fish Speaker at some point around the year of our Lord 2030.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Those Sarudukar look lame as hell, hopefully those are just regular troops?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
They have a similar aesthetic to the Harkonnen stuff we've seen. Also I think the Sardaukar that attack the Atreides were disguised as Harkonnen soldiers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, the Sardaukar had to be undercover because the Emperor couldn't allow anyone outside of the conspiracy to know he was attacking the Atreides at that point.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Moebius sardaukar or bust

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Moebius sardaukar or bust

Dope.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I need Tom of Finland Sardaukar from whichever version.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

jodorowsky : dope

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Bloop posted:

Arrakis Runs on Duncans

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I like the gimp janissaries

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yes

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I much prefer the one on the right, as late-stage Sardaukar are practically nouveau riche, and everyone's fear of their supposed combat prowess means they get to show off their wealth and status, rather than be clad in... practical(?) battle attire.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I need Tom of Finland Sardaukar from whichever version.

just the biggest erect nips on that rubber breastplate

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
imagine if those guys showed up in the last ten minutes of this brutalist dune, it would own so hard, the fremen and everyone wearing grey rags and hard iron just completely :wtc:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

THE BAR posted:

I much prefer the one on the right, as late-stage Sardaukar are practically nouveau riche, and everyone's fear of their supposed combat prowess means they get to show off their wealth and status, rather than be clad in... practical(?) battle attire.

I think it's kind of important as well that they look incredibly pompous, because that's part of the trick, that the best of the best on Selusa Secondus can rise above and become Sardukar and have this 'lavish' lifestyle, that's really just being cannon fodder for the Emperor in his cryptic children-murdering machinations. Like, they SHOULD look like a poor idiots idea of a hugely successful person.

/edit:

Eau de MacGowan posted:

imagine if those guys showed up in the last ten minutes of this brutalist dune, it would own so hard, the fremen and everyone wearing grey rags and hard iron just completely :wtc:

Yeah, and so much this, in the Lynch film, you don't really get the sense that they're SUPER ELITE CADRE, you'd be utterly forgiven for thinking they were just 'Harkonnen troops'. Considering they're kind of the prime motivation for the events of the book (in that the Emperor catches wind the Atreides 'might' be able to train some troops that almost match them in battle) they get super sidelined, and as soon as they show up they just get utterly chumped immediately.

/edit edit: I keep looking at it, and yeah it just would be PERFECT wouldn't it. Goddamn it. Jodorowsky's Dune really is SUCH a shame.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 1, 2020

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Wouldn't the Sardaukar be dressed as Harkonnen troops if they are fighting the D U N C ?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Having the Atreides et al looking as stark and utilitarian as we've seen so far is a great opportunity for imperial aesthetics to be absolutely fuckoff nutso grandiose to really drive home the power/wealth differential between them and the lesser players, idk if I'm expecting him to go that way but it'd be very neat

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Horsebanger posted:

Wouldn't the Sardaukar be dressed as Harkonnen troops if they are fighting the D U N C ?

Yeah, that was the plot, set up the rivalry and then send in ELITE troops under the disguise so that no one suspected the Emperor. But so even that get's washed over in the film, you never see them apart from in Harkonnen duds, so there's basically no 'Sardaukar' in the movie, except conceptually, and very vaguely at that. It's all kind of thrown away, which seems so weird to me because it's such an important part of the plot?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I hope that we, at the very least, get to see the stark difference in fighting styles between Sardaukar and Harkonnen troops, revealing that when push comes to shove, these guys do know their way around a knife.

And I just want to see their back-to-back petal knife dance routine that Aramsham and co. are doing in the sietch.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Even in the book, the sardaukar roll over the Atreides so fast that they don't get much time on stage. They seem to be more prominent in the later half of the book when they're fighting against the freemen.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

I like the gimp janissaries

Baron: Bring out the Sardaukar.

Piter: Sardaukar's sleeping.

Baron: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Even in the book, the sardaukar roll over the Atreides so fast that they don't get much time on stage. They seem to be more prominent in the later half of the book when they're fighting against the freemen.

Yeah I got the impression that the Sardaukar are really fuckin' good but also that the Fremen are the first to really give them serious opposition in a long time.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Fast and thoroughly.There aren't that many survivors of the atreides army left by the time Paul ascends to the throne.As far as I remember only Gurney's team survives with any measure of cohesion after eating a ton of casualties.They might have slipped a little bit when it comes to their peak form, but they were still capable of bringing the pain.The fremen and its abundance were a black swan event for the empire, and it takes teaching them the wierding way of fighting and some rules lawyering around atomics to win.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 1, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

skasion posted:

Disappointed they stopped Godfather at 3 tbh

Same it would have been great if the could have gotten Brando back to be Vito II for God Father of Dune.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Also, gently caress it, Sardaukars floppy berets have been etched into my mind forever as the proper attire for a feudal galactic empire terror troop.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Better versions floating on twitter now

https://twitter.com/starwart1/status/1300818742688051206

the tweet has now been duncd

way to go wb marketing masters

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 1, 2020

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Harkonnen a e s t h e t i c spoilers:

Space war boys from Fury Road, I can get into that

(basing that on Rabban and the guys walking with Yueh)

The guys Dunc is clowning on in the set pic don't look like that at all tho

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 1, 2020

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I hope they include a couple of scenes with the Sardaukar. The one who was giving the Baron poo poo was funny because the Baron is always a twat when people dare to talk back to him. Also amusing the first time Paul uses the Voice on one of them.

Love the Moebius work. I wonder why Jodorowsky doesn't print his drat dune book. The art his project compiled would be loved by a lot of fans, I'm sure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just record Jodo explaining the movie page by page for however many hours it takes. Like in the doc but for the whole thing

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Jodorowsky's Rape Journals

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Jodorowsky's Rape Journals

...but with love. with love

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
dark horse is making some Dunc tchotkes.

https://twitter.com/DuneInfo/status/1299415238132072448?s=20

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Here’s the Harkonnen one.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Products/3008-153/Dune-Harkonnen-Sculpted-Pin

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just got back from seeing Tenet, no loving Dunc anywhere. Livid.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The full trailer drops online in eight days. Have some water of life to shorten the wait

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Trailer placement is never 100% there’s a whole science to it and you can’t guarantee that you will see the trailer you want. By design.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'd be livid, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kiimo posted:

Trailer placement is never 100% there’s a whole science to it and you can’t guarantee that you will see the trailer you want. By design.

Hmmm, cinematic teaser trailer release schedules within cinematic teaser trailer release schedules.