Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fash aren't going to be into the dorky teenage emperor who made the senate listen to his sweet lyre jams and hung out with actors and prostitutes

i can absolutely believe they'd take the wrong lessons away from mr. restituor orbis though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HELLO LADIES posted:

:orks101: not an emptyquote :orks101:

You know that dude got buried with a chest of statue noses and dicks.

Jazerus posted:

fash aren't going to be into the dorky old president who made the senate listen to his sweet tweets and hung out with actors and prostitutes

All things old are new again.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 1, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Miss Broccoli posted:

You're really wrong but okay

Modern fash are all about memes. It's designed specifically so people who take a 2 second glance don't look at it. Have you seriously not heard of Pepe the frog and and meme magic or seen any exerpts from the Christchurch shooters manifesto, who also famously spouted off memes during his rampage Livestream. Have you also never heard of hiding your power level, which is also a meme reference to over 9000?

Aurelian worship is a part of white supremacy and appeals to ancient Greek and Roman culture are also. This is different to just thinking history is cool. You are wrong and completely uninformed, especially if your best response is just a well no actually.

how bout you go make this kind of posts in d&d and not here

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

If you said "Roman worship" i'd agree. Ceasar or Nero worship? Possibly too.

But Aurelian is basically an unknown figure to most ppl with no interest in history and 99% of white nationalist chuds arent big on history.

So i'm doutful about Aurelian in specific. He really isnt the most known of emperors.

Not only is Aurelian not very well-known, he also seems like a poor choice for white supremacists to idolize: a lot of those narratives focus on dangers of perfidious immigrants, since “letting in goths is what really brought down the Roman empire!” That stands in stark contrast to Aurelian, who settled a ton of goths within the empire, in exchange for using their soldiers to build his world-conquering army. On the contrary, I’ve seen many more criticisms of Aurelian that he was too accepting of immigrants, which: lol the empire would’ve fallen a century+ earlier without its ‘provincial’ emperors. Maybe it wouldn’t have even lasted past Nerva.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

how bout you go make this kind of posts in d&d and not here

This discussion is interesting. How bout you go use your scroll wheel instead of trying to police this thread.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yadoppsi posted:

This discussion is interesting. How bout you go use your scroll wheel instead of trying to police this thread.

this site has two whole forums just for posting your hot takes about modern day politics, so why do people insist on posting them in the ancient history thread too?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ChubbyChecker posted:

this site has two whole forums just for posting your hot takes about modern day politics, so why do people insist on posting them in the ancient history thread too?

Can't say as I disagree with that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yadoppsi posted:

What is the Roman equivalent of a shinebox if everyone mostly wore open-toed shoes?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blowjob barrel?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

loving Lombards

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
For some archaeology news from a part of the world we don't hear about this kind of thing from often, they've uncovered a new painted Goguryeo tomb in North Korea.

https://n.news.naver.com/article/001/0011850883?lfrom=twitter

Looks like lots of Buddhist imagery rather than one of the cooler ones with murals of daily life in the period, but still kinda neat.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

:qq: history is just politics that already happened and the conversation flowed naturally from an honest history question.

GoutPatrol posted:

What is the Roman equivalent of a shinebox if everyone mostly wore open-toed shoes?

Romans didn't just wear calceus type shoes, there was also a closed-toe military boot popular in Gaul, Britain and Germania called a caligae. IIRC beeswax would be rubbed into it for upkeep.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Aurelian is well enough known to get a few cringeworthy memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIRdrQXHwc

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
My real question was whether Asterix is comrades or not, tho?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

My real question was whether Asterix is comrades or not, tho?

Asterix is the 'i just wanna grill' guy of the 50BC. He is chill and good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

uh the gauls are OG Antifa

antifa back when it stood for antifasces actio

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 2, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How much do we know about ancient gallic languages? I know we know enough to identify a few roots still in french, some which even came over with the normans (goblet, dune, mutton) but also, I don't even know if they had writing. I'm assuming not much?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

-One of the now extinct branch of Continental Celtic languages
-First written with the Greek alphabet before switching over to Latin script
-Everyone's name was a pun

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How much do we know about ancient gallic languages? I know we know enough to identify a few roots still in french, some which even came over with the normans (goblet, dune, mutton) but also, I don't even know if they had writing. I'm assuming not much?

They had. There is no extant literature and may never have been, but there are plenty of inscriptions, magical tablets, a calendar.

The Gallic French loanword I always think of is alouette, which is the same as Caesar’s transalpine-Gaulish Legio V Alaudae, the Larks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

uh the gauls are OG Antifa

antifa back when it stood for antifasces actio

They're basically an analogy for the french resistance. It's not clear if that was the intent, but they're a small french group fighting against a foreign occupying force.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I can't let a discussion on ancient Gaulish slide without mentioning one of my favorite bands, Eluvietie. They are a folk metal band from Switzerland that also puts out acoustic albums. On those, they sing entirely in Gaulish, consulting with professors to get the words and pronunciation right, or as as right as can be expected. So my history nerd side it is Extremely My poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37KYx_vsGaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkbadvaMuXo

And they are pretty good when not in folk mode too, especially if a woman windmilling while playing a hurdy gurdy is up your alley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pSq4MJmy8

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 2, 2020

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alhazred posted:

They're basically an analogy for the french resistance. It's not clear if that was the intent, but they're a small french group fighting against a foreign occupying force.

Maybe? I've sometimes seen it argued that the Gaulish village represents a kind of proud French cultural insularity, more anti-American than anti-German. Certainly Caesar as portrayed in the Asterix comics, while an antagonist, is too sympathetic to be a Hitler analogue.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

-One of the now extinct branch of Continental Celtic languages
-First written with the Greek alphabet before switching over to Latin script
-Everyone's name was a pun

Literally believed this 100% for like 10 seconds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe? I've sometimes seen it argued that the Gaulish village represents a kind of proud French cultural insularity, more anti-American than anti-German. Certainly Caesar as portrayed in the Asterix comics, while an antagonist, is too sympathetic to be a Hitler analogue.

That's why I said it's not clear if it was intentional or not, but it's not a controversial interpretation. There's even a comic about the resistance where Asterix is an agent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the idea is that it can be applicable but wasn't necessarily so. The Gauls are as likely to treat the Romans as neighbours as they are enemies (and to an extent vice versa) depending on the story they want to tell. Rome is usually a strutting bully that gets taken down a peg or two, though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been interested in how people historically have made fabric so I've collected some nettles and want to try making thread out of them. I've taken the leaves off the stalks and now I'm soaking them in water, this part is called retting. I had to bend them to fit them in the tub though, I may have already hosed up.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013
I always thought that the Asterix comics were pretty neutral in tone to whether the Gauls were really 'better' than the Romans or not (most of the time the village Gauls were portrayed as completely incompetent, same as the Romans). I recall there were plenty of Gallic characters who were assimilated into being Roman who were direct relatives of the main characters, which is pretty realistic for the time period. In history, Caesar wouldn't have gotten anywhere with his conquest of Gaul if not for the fact that he had a ton of Gallic tribes backing him as auxiliary cavalry troops (knew the lay of the land, countered enemy cav, and etc).

On a different subject, I'd love to see ERE stuff become more common in mainstream culture. It'd be nice for modern audiences to see how this later Roman Empire mostly used diplomacy to achieve its foreign policy objectives rather than just roflstomping everyone around them with superior logistics, population, and technology. It's pretty funny how they had their "how to be an Emperor 101 for dummies guidebook", which had a template you would use to send to foreign nations which goes something like "Hail *insert foreign ruler's name and titles here*, lord and master of *insert place they rule here*, I bid you greetings from the Roman Empire. As the twin pillars of civilization on Earth, we feel that we would surely both benefit from peaceful relations etc." I believe they were also the first state to have a dedicated version of an intelligence community to preempt threats and the like. Plus they have great stories, like when a fleet of 200 Rus Viking ships attacked Constantinople, and was completely wiped out by a small fleet of ships (under 20) that just shot medieval napalm (Greek fire) against them. Then the survivors got invited into the city and became the first members of the Varangian guard after they decided that it was way more profitable to just work for the people who beat them than trying to raid an unraidable city. I believe in some Nordic countries, the name of Istanbul today is still just their version of "The City" as a result of the Varangian guard being integrated into Roman society.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 3, 2020

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
So I got a B.A. in classics in 2006 and was really into elegiac poetry at the time. I spent the last 7 years learning to play guitar and I intend to put some of my favorite odes to music at some point. Has there been any real progress in figuring out how Roman musical scales worked?

I saw a visiting lecturer talking about written Greek music that we didn't know how to interpret one time. Did we figure that out?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do we know about the Baltic region and finland in roman/late antiquity times?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Cetea posted:

On a different subject, I'd love to see ERE stuff become more common in mainstream culture.

*one finger curls on monkey's paw*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

What do we know about the Baltic region and finland in roman/late antiquity times?

I suspect 'not much' given how far they were away from the Romans...

(Archaeology I guess?)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

bog treasures

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I recall having read some excerpts translated from Latin which were based on traders'/explorers' reports of the people living in the area that is Finland today, who they referred as "Fennic".

They described the inhabitants as "wretched" and "as close to animals as we've ever seen" and stated they had absolutely nothing to value to offer.

So basically, not much has changed since then.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was a well established and busy trade route to the Baltic to get amber, which the Romans loved. The bog people story is fun too. Beyond that uh, not much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Makes sense, according to some stuff I've read, the first Humans reached Scandinavia and the Baltic region around 1200 BC, so around the time the Roman Empire beat up the Gauls, mankind was still a rather young thing over there, compared to all the super-old poo poo all over the rest of Europe.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lawman 0 posted:

Roman sources describe the Sámi and call them "Fenni" or something like that. The linguistic ancestors of the Finns came from the Upper Volga region by the way of the Baltics and arrived to Finland perhaps from 500 BC onwards. The Sámi were hunter-gatherers and the proto-Finns farmers, and the cultural and linguistic border moved northwards over the centuries with the extension of agriculture. Written historical evidence from Finland is nonexistent before the Middle Ages

Libluini posted:

Makes sense, according to some stuff I've read, the first Humans reached Scandinavia and the Baltic region around 1200 BC, so around the time the Roman Empire beat up the Gauls, mankind was still a rather young thing over there, compared to all the super-old poo poo all over the rest of Europe.

This isn't correct, humans reached the Nordic countries right after the glaciers retreated. By 1200 BC you already have Indo-European dominance in Scandinavia

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Libluini posted:

Seems like you forgot a zero.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

Roman sources describe the Sámi and call them "Fenni" or something like that. The linguistic ancestors of the Finns came from the Upper Volga region by the way of the Baltics and arrived to Finland perhaps from 500 BC onwards. The Sámi were hunter-gatherers and the proto-Finns farmers, and the cultural and linguistic border moved northwards over the centuries with the extension of agriculture. Written historical evidence from Finland is nonexistent before the Middle Ages

This isn't correct, humans reached the Nordic countries right after the glaciers retreated. By 1200 BC you already have Indo-European dominance in Scandinavia

I didn't know that, but the maps I saw were from some internet article, and could have been very wrong. Do you have any reliable source I could read about the first Humans arriving in Scandinavia?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I didn't know that, but the maps I saw were from some internet article, and could have been very wrong. Do you have any reliable source I could read about the first Humans arriving in Scandinavia?

This is a good recent paper that goes trough the basic scenario.

Population genomics of mesolithic scandinavia: investigating early post glacial migration routes and high-latitude adaptstion

There are also fun genetics paper about the introduction of farming into scandinavia. For example how farmers and hunter gatherers coexisted in the same places for at least hundreds of years and how the hunter gatherers had a major gene flow into the farming population over this time, but the hunter gatherer population did not recive any farmer DNA (presumably because farming is cool and hunting and gathering is for chumps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I heard somewhere Finns burned their most of dead long into the Iron Age so there isn't much good grave robbing to do which limits archeological finds somewhat.

Occasionally they find like a brooch someone acidentally dropped in a bog or something.