Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Ambush!!! :synpa:

Critical hit!!! Heh, should have watched where you was goin', slicerdicer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Videogame reviewers are morons who praised tlou2 walking mode as accesible. Get good or gently caress off

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That review is baffling. I've never played a Wasteland game before, and while I have some complaints about this game, all the stuff he points out is actually pretty clearly explained in the tutorial or via mousing over poo poo. It's like the RPG version of Polygon Plays Doom,

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 1, 2020

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Barter is a good skill

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that particular barter perk is completely broken - if it procs on a high-value piece of junk, money ceases to be any kind of issue whatsoever. I think they should have probably set a cap on it, or made it only apply to low-value junk so that it's an occasional nice bit of extra cash instead of randomly making you an instant gazillionaire.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I went and did Hoon Farmstead instead of the Convoy and I loving lost it when he called me A cat loving simp. I bet a lot of the humor in this game is gonna age poorly but it hits real hard right now.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

There's a junk item worth more than $8000?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

doingitwrong posted:

I played a bit of the 2nd and none of the 1st and I am thoroughly enjoying the 3rd. I'm sure there are story beats or callbacks I'm missing but the main plot arc is set in a totally different place from 2 and 1 and there's plenty of understandable character and motivation so far.

Yeah, this. Just because you never played the previous games it doesn't matter.
You deal with Faran Brygo in the first game when he was still a big time mobster in Vegas. It's a really cool callback, but it means gently caress all for new players understanding of the games story.

Like I've said before, it's bloody amazing how well they've managed to keep the universe together without alienating new players.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

Videogame reviewers are morons who praised tlou2 walking mode as accesible. Get good or gently caress off
I also think all games writers are idiots because there's some dumb reviews every now and then

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Have you read this RPS review? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/19/wasteland-2-review/
The main complaints are that the game is too long, the turn based combat is boring and the humor isn't funny. He legit mentions pissing on snowballs and throwing them as a thing that's not funny.
This is a game that is straight up a love letter to older CRPGs. It's like if I complained that the remake of the first Wasteland is a pain to figure out and they should change stuff. No, they shouldn't. It's not meant for me.
Are any of you surprised that Outer Worlds was one of the reviewers favourite games last year.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, and? What is it supposed to prove that this RPS writer had complaints about the game you don't agree with

I am so, so tired of this ridiculous idea that somehow all game reviewing is handled by some exclusive cabal of idiots who suck at all video games

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

wish i could retrieve my animal companions that i dismiss. you were a real one(s), billy and jean. i love running around with a squad of like 15 motherfuckers, it’s so dumb

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd get more companions but they block narrow pathways and make me waste turns and I can't be bothered to deal with that. I have a clone, weird Latin-spouting dude, and then usually a fox/goat/dog that I've tamed on a whim as I run past it. I replace the animal as and when it dies a horrible death (quite frequently)

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i have the money to buy a big gently caress off missile launcher for the war rig, it uses ammo from the player stash, right?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Amppelix posted:

Uh, and? What is it supposed to prove that this RPS writer had complaints about the game you don't agree with

I am so, so tired of this ridiculous idea that somehow all game reviewing is handled by some exclusive cabal of idiots who suck at all video games
That's not what I'm saying.
RPS was started a million years ago by grognards who wanted to cover PC games. They still do that, but not a single person who was there originally is left. Instead you have a bunch of nambie pambie millienials who can't see a good game if it bit them in the arse, just because it has some jank and old ideas.
Here's the review of 2 from the very same site.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/19/wasteland-2-review/

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bardeh posted:

I'd get more companions but they block narrow pathways and make me waste turns and I can't be bothered to deal with that. I have a clone, weird Latin-spouting dude, and then usually a fox/goat/dog that I've tamed on a whim as I run past it. I replace the animal as and when it dies a horrible death (quite frequently)

Yeah, I've actually cut down my plans to use Animal Whisperer largely because many of the combat areas are way, way too cramped, especially to handle a zillion friendly units, and weapon range is a huge issue until you get mods going so I can't handle having a shitload of random animals blocking the one tile wide hallway I need to get through to get in range to shoot the guy with the rocket launcher before he kills me.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 1, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, the rescue mission in and out of buchanan's secret bunker seems a bit janky. You can talk the entrance guard into letting you in, but the rest of the guys will engage on sight anyway. You can sneak past them, and i did, but now that I'm coming back, there's a short cutscene of a new squad coming in and going "oh whoever took out these guys could still be here." You know, the guys who i didn't take out who are very much still there in the exact room where this scene happens?

I guess the sneaking option wasn't really designed into the mission, but I'm still pretty disappointed i couldn't intimidate the rest of the mercs.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
By the by, can anyone explain how the gun on the truck works? Several times I've had clear line of sight and it just won't shoot. I've resorted to just setting it to overwatch and it immediately fires as soon as the thing I wanted to shoot moves.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Amppelix posted:

I'm still pretty disappointed i couldn't intimidate the rest of the mercs.

you absolutely can. when i was coming back up those stairs i got that dialogue but it ended with "oh poo poo, it's the rangers, run away" before i could even get to them. it was just based on fame instead of a skill check like the earlier one

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah, those guys flee but what about the army still standing between me and the entrance who just aggro instantly with no dialogue

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

I found a traveling busker and now Jodie is singing along with him about the Ranger's history. This game is full of charming as hell touches.

Funny enough that and another moment made me run three customs and Jodie for my sniper. She's cool.

Defiance Industries posted:

Finished. I know I missed a few things, but I'll go back and play again. The ending song being someone recounting the main plot decisions you made caught me off guard but it really fits the game. When they nail down some of the multiplayer bugs, it would be cool to see how many things are hidden behind co-op's "do both options in a binary choice" feature.

Spoil or PM me but.... I dying to know. How bad will sparing the robot gently caress me? I'm restarting again and about to hit that mission.

The Lone Badger posted:

Can't you just get Ground Control to give him a call?

She can't even spell 'death' how smart were you expecting?
That animal whiperer moment had me cracking up more than it should. Also lol at Angela Deth.

blizzardvizard posted:

"Race traitors" :laffo:
That rubs me the wrong way hard. Effin Gary Wolfe and his calling me a simp too.

So they updated XBox One. Let us see if the CtD rate improves later.
Edit: They didn't have an XBone review so added one. DON"T LAUGH AT ME!!! I just want this game to do well. I still feel bad for PoE2 not making billions as that game is stellar.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 1, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

My hack keeps missing on some big robots. Is there any way to see like a hit rate for it? The skill itself doesn't even say that it can miss.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

double negative posted:

wish i could retrieve my animal companions that i dismiss. you were a real one(s), billy and jean. i love running around with a squad of like 15 motherfuckers, it’s so dumb

You can re-recruit them as long as you don't leave the map.

Also Billy and Jean have an achievement for taking them to the end of the game. And are in the running for best combat pet because of their stun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, it's a max of 4 custom Rangers, right? Not a max of 2 companions? poo poo, if that's the case then I could totally run with Jodie Bell.

Goddammit.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

My hack keeps missing on some big robots. Is there any way to see like a hit rate for it? The skill itself doesn't even say that it can miss.

With the perk that gives anything you hack a buff, you can not only fail, but buff it by trying!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, it's a max of 4 custom Rangers, right? Not a max of 2 companions? poo poo, if that's the case then I could totally run with Jodie Bell.

Goddammit.

Correct and you need at minimum 1 custom Ranger in your party at all times.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Onehandclapping posted:

With the perk that gives anything you hack a buff, you can not only fail, but buff it by trying!
Wonderful, but so do you actually know if there's any indication in the game whether you're going to succeed (or have a chance of success) at the hack

I've been reloading this encounter with a saw dog and going on ten attempts now the hack hasn't landed on it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I gave up on hacking it just seems like too much effort for something that is so wonky.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Zore posted:

You can re-recruit them as long as you don't leave the map.

Also Billy and Jean have an achievement for taking them to the end of the game. And are in the running for best combat pet because of their stun.

nah, it didn’t let me. i dismissed billy and jean right in ranger hq and you can’t charm ‘em again unfortunately.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lodin posted:

Have you read this RPS review? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/19/wasteland-2-review/
The main complaints are that the game is too long, the turn based combat is boring and the humor isn't funny. He legit mentions pissing on snowballs and throwing them as a thing that's not funny.
This is a game that is straight up a love letter to older CRPGs. It's like if I complained that the remake of the first Wasteland is a pain to figure out and they should change stuff. No, they shouldn't. It's not meant for me.
Are any of you surprised that Outer Worlds was one of the reviewers favourite games last year.

RPS sucks but those are all legitimate complaints. I am enjoying the game quite a bit but lets not pretend it doesnt have its fair share of issues

double negative posted:

nah, it didn’t let me. i dismissed billy and jean right in ranger hq and you can’t charm ‘em again unfortunately.

You have to actually use the charm animal ability on him instead of just clicking

babypolis fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 1, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

double negative posted:

I mean I've done it multiple times.

You have to go into their active abilities to do it, you can't just click on them.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Zore posted:

I mean I've done it multiple times.

You have to go into their active abilities to do it, you can't just click on them.

gotcha, way too far past that point now, but good to know

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really wish I'd realized I could replace all my custom chars way earlier, probably missed out on a ton of fun dialogue :rip:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is Jody Bell a competent sniper? I know I need one, but my heart yearns for a sneaky mine with a shotgun.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Does the lvl 10 sniper ambush perk not work? When I one shot an enemy before battle begins it just starts the battle instead of resetting :confused:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is Jody Bell a competent sniper? I know I need one, but my heart yearns for a sneaky mine with a shotgun.

She's okay though like all NPC characters has some suboptimal point allotment at the start. I picked her up around level 13 which let me spec her into being a great Sniper.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Should I not try to visit some of these random places out on the overworld before progressing the main plot in Denver? Some of these random encounters seem really hard for the things they're surrounded by.

that was my failing too. Flat out do not touch anything until you're told to or crazy high level. Want to visit the circus? Wipe. Check out the cannibal place? Wipe. Just leave it be.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kloa posted:

Does the lvl 10 sniper ambush perk not work? When I one shot an enemy before battle begins it just starts the battle instead of resetting :confused:

It applies to overwatch kills

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

kloa posted:

"Ambush" in the context of Wasteland 3 specifically refers to the overwatch button, which they called "Ambush" for some reason despite every other tactical game standardizing that function as overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I hosed it up badly at the beginning, everyone except me and the other npc died.