Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Given that these are completely different kinds of coolers than in the past, they might be better. Or even worse! So...yes, probably good to wait. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

movax posted:

Hah — yes the game supporting it would also be good.

I've done DMA/RDMA type stuff on Linux w/ custom HW, and I remember it taking BIOS mods (cleaning up BARs) + kernel patching to get it to work, but that was also many years ago and I think a lot of those changes are now mainlined, so it's more "set up DMA mailboxes / pointers, call mmap() and call it good".

And then you BSOD / kernel panic when you deference the wrong memory address, and it'll be great.

Considering the recent news that Intel really screwed up with being late to market with PCIe 4.0 products, I feel like NVidia is going to dedicate a lot of time, money, and effort to making DirectStorage work well on Ryzen.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where do I preorder?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mikojan posted:

Wait aren’t these FE coolers usually trash?

Would it not be wise to atleast wait for acoustic benches?

That was the old conventional wisdom, because they were blowers, because nvidia was still pushing SLI setups. The one place where normal open-air multi-fan coolers don't work well is when cards are jammed up against each other, so they had to ship coolers that weren't good for most people to avoid "nvidia's premium cards don't work in nvidia's top of the line setup" media attention.

The FE coolers have been fine for 20xx and up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MarcusSA posted:

I mean on one hand probably.

On the other hand scalpers and limited availability.

Yeah, more or less this.

You're rolling the dice on getting a card that might be a bit hotter or louder than some other version of the card, but if the option is "accept a potentially less than ideal card model" vs "wait an extra 4 months for proper reviews and stock to come back," then a lot of people are gonna be willing to accept that their card might run at 78C instead of 75C under load.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

As long as I can get one by November.

Gonna be real hard to not try and slam that pre-order button when they go up, but I can wait on the AIBs anyway. Right?...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

Where do I preorder?

Nowhere. Yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So if I was looking to build/buy a new computer already -- and to be clear, I was -- I just wait for the 3080 to come out now, right? Or do I hold out for the 3070 to save a bit of money?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Regarding the Titan name, has anyone even looked at the range of Titan cards recently? When it was just one it was fine, but now there is -

GTX Titan, released in 2013
GTX Titan Black, released in February 2014
GTX Titan Z, released in March 2014
GTX Titan X, released in 2015
Titan X (2016), released in 2016
Titan Xp, released in April 2017
Titan V, released in December 2017
Titan RTX, released in 2018

That is confusing as poo poo. Best drop it and roll the nomenclature into the generation numbering they have.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also it’s my understanding from all the leaks that Nvidia has put a considerable amount of effort into this cooling solution. They want to get away from the “it’s poo poo” past.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Gabriel S. posted:

Where do I preorder?

Hell, give me your money, ill hold it in escrow

Just Buy it!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MarcusSA posted:

Also it’s my understanding from all the leaks that Nvidia has put a considerable amount of effort into this cooling solution. They want to get away from the “it’s poo poo” past.

I want to see AMDs response. Not holding my breath.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Considering the recent news that Intel really screwed up with being late to market with PCIe 4.0 products, I feel like NVidia is going to dedicate a lot of time, money, and effort to making DirectStorage work well on Ryzen.

It would be nice — both of those companies are frozen out of consoles this generation (so, the next 5 years at least), so the PC is the only battleground left to try and compete in a similar fashion. Microsoft being on-board helps immeasurably; getting UE to also implement it would be aces.

Other forward looking statement — HW audio decoding getting added to GPU in addition to HW texture decompression (latter would let them sell cards with even less VRAM), maybe through some reuse of IP blocks they already have. If it’s worth the die space. I think that brings most parity to the table, outside of all the platform specific security / trust type stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

So if I was looking to build/buy a new computer already -- and to be clear, I was -- I just wait for the 3080 to come out now, right? Or do I hold out for the 3070 to save a bit of money?

I guess it depends on your budget and monitor IMO.

The 3080 isn’t a huge cost increase when you look at the total cost of the build and it should in theory last you longer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gabriel S. posted:

Any ETA?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Let's be honest, by the time it's relevant Intel will have had plenty of time to get their poo poo together. It's not going to get quick, widespread adoption because it's not a sexy technology - although I wish it were, load time has always been one of the biggest factors to me in deciding if a game is worth playing or not.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MarcusSA posted:

This is why I think people poo-pooing the FE solution are really wrong.

The 10 series cooler, they wanted a blower card and made a really good blower card.

Turing, they made a good 2 slot on the idea that it fit the most use cases possible, you can call that a bad decision but it wasn't a bad cooler.

Now they're actually trying really hard to make exactly the cooler most people want.

I don't see the problem.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

quote:

With a supported NVMe drive and properly configured gaming machine, DirectStorage will be able to detect up front that these extra steps are not required and skip all the necessary checks/operations making every IO request cheaper to fulfill.

It looks like that for directstorage to work your SSD needs to support the standard. I wonder if it is just speed or special instruction support?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I did get to order something today because my PSU is only 550W :saddowns:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CapnAndy posted:

Both look like good cards for their prices so it'll depend on your monitor. I'd probably wait for some hard numbers before making a decision.

320 watts seems really high to me for a 3080. And the "hold out" is probably only a couple weeks anyway so I don't think it's a big deal.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
So a 3080 is probably fine for at least 60FPS 1440p gaming right? I was really keen on getting this monitor since I have a $100 coupon. https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Shogunner posted:

So a 3080 is probably fine for at least 60FPS 1440p gaming right? I was really keen on getting this monitor since I have a $100 coupon. https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories

I uh, yes lol

You should probably just get a 3070.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

1000%.

I have a 1080ti and I can 60fps almost everything on max settings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DF look at the 3080

https://youtu.be/cWD01yUQdVA

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wankie posted:

It looks like that for directstorage to work your SSD needs to support the standard. I wonder if it is just speed or special instruction support?
NVMe: Hey, you dipshit CPU, there's data available.
CPU: Hmm, can't do gently caress all with it. Hey rear end in a top hat RTX, go pick up your poo poo.
GPU: Does DMA.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Taima posted:

I uh, yes lol

edit: *rabble rabble 3070*

look i was a retired gamer for like 5 years then boom covid, idk all these numbers anymore!!

edit: i need the 3080 for my reverb g2, probably. i was gonna get a 3090 because gently caress it what am i spending money on, but drat, the sheer size of it

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Taima posted:

This is why I think people poo-pooing the FE solution are really wrong.

The 10 series cooler, they wanted a blower card and made a really good blower card.

Turing, they made a good 2 slot on the idea that it fit the most use cases possible, you can call that a bad decision but it wasn't a bad cooler.

Now they're actually trying really hard to make exactly the cooler most people want.

I don't see the problem.

Consider that most miners never mined on the reference cards because the cooling wasn’t durable enough to withstand constant load for hours. Also the AIBs apparently outperformed the reference designs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wankie posted:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

Might be a NVMe 1.2 / 1.3 thing but I’m not super up to speed on what version of the spec has what. I do know zoned namespaces are on the docket but I think that’s more of a virtualization / enterprise type feature?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shogunner posted:

You can get better performing monitors for about the same money as you're planning on spending. Go to the monitor thread.

A 3080 should be somewhere between good and massive overkill for 1440p high refresh. A 3070 is likely a more sane buy, although the 3080 may turn out to be a pretty good long-term value buy. Who knows. Wait for reviews if you don't have to rush.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shogunner posted:

Just note that's a VA panel, which has some downsides. I recommend you bump over to the Monitor Megathread for more info on what you should get there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do worry they've boxed themselves into a corner with the rumored 3070Ti. There's only $200 difference between the G6 3070 and G6X 3080.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm the 3080 is 720 eurobux here in Belgium.

Kind of hilarious that an extreme performance device with a hard to manufacture gently caress-off huge die and idiotic thermals is available for less than a loving iPhone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Consider that most miners never mined on the reference cards because the cooling wasn’t durable enough to withstand constant load for hours. Also the AIBs apparently outperformed the reference designs.

Outperformed on what? They had entirely different solutions that Nvidia didn't try to do because it's not what they wanted to do. The FE has historically been all about making things work for the most people possible (hence blower / 2 fan) but they are very purposefully abandoning that now and trying to make a design that would compete with AIB.

Look I'm not trying to carry water for Nvidia here, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Would also argue that you're overstating the case on mining because that's not "constant load for hours" that's "constant load 24/7" and actual gamers had nowhere near these issues.

Like I'm not saying their cooling is going to for sure be awesome but I also don't see why they should get poo poo on for not having AIB performance in the past when it's just literally not what they were trying to do. You can hate on them for that decision but it just wasn't the same thing.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm the 3080 is 720 eurobux here in Belgium.

Kind of hilarious that an extreme performance device with a hard to manufacture gently caress-off huge die and idiotic thermals is available for less than a loving iPhone.

They are clearly getting a slamming deal from the Samsung fab. Which makes sense. Samsung has lower profit motivation than TSMC for numerous reasons.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do worry they've boxed themselves into a corner with the rumored 3070Ti. There's only $200 difference between the G6 3070 and G6X 3080.

That's still enough space to slot in a $600 3070 Ti/Super. The lovely part is it probably won't come with more VRAM, so you'd still be stuck at 8GB.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Gabriel S. posted:

They've got 3 whole weeks to come up with something!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

they could add some more letters to the 5700 maybe??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MarcusSA posted:

I guess it depends on your budget and monitor IMO.

The 3080 isn’t a huge cost increase when you look at the total cost of the build and it should in theory last you longer.
Yeah, $200 isn't much and I don't do this more than once per decade.

What does monitor have to do with it, though? I need new those, too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lol! DF already has a card. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm gonna go from a 770 straight to a 3080 and I'm pretty sure my heads going to explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do the AIBs come out on 9/17 too?