Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

codo27 posted:

When it comes to parrying, can you parry any attack that can be parried with any shield? Are there stat requirements for certain level of enemy? I find myself back to my usual 2H powerhouse ways when I initially decided I would learn to parry this time around

e: still gently caress those crabs.

Parrying is just all down to timing, with small shields/dedicated parrying implements having better frame windows than normal shields. You can parry basically anything that's A) humanoid and B) holding a weapon; I think the largest enemies you can parry are Sulyvahn and Cathedral Knights? There are a few exceptions for enemies and attacks (Soul of Cinder/Nameless King, and you can't parry Silver Knights' lightning-charged attacks) but you can parry nearly everything in the game. Keep in mind there's about a half-second windup between starting the parry and actually landing it, and the window to parry is very small. You want to parry just as an enemy starts its attack animation, generally. Try practicing on Lothric or Silver Knights, they're the most consistent to parry. Make sure to have an off-hand Fire Dagger for maximum critical damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

multijoe posted:

A low, low bar to cross

DS2 has plenty of good bosses? The problem is that there are too many that are too rushed and easy to even be "fine" because it had a million more planned boss encounters than it had time to actually develop them.

But lol at saying DS2's DLC bosses are exceptional HP sponges out of line with like DS3 or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

DS2 has plenty of good bosses? The problem is that there are too many that are too rushed and easy to even be "fine" because it had a million more planned boss encounters than it had time to actually develop them.

But lol at saying DS2's DLC bosses are exceptional HP sponges out of line with like DS3 or something.

The damage sponge issue in DS2's DLC is with its normal enemies, loads of which have the poise and HP of elite enemies even when their design doesn't warrant it, I'd actually agree the bosses of DLC are good and some of the best in the series

As far as the base game goes for me there's just so many which are neither interesting or challenging mechanically and a load of the better ones are cribbed directly from DS1 like Royal Rat Authotity and not-Quelagg. The endgame boss selection is particularly awful, with Ancient Dragon and Vendrick both being *extremely* basic fights which are only remotely challenging because of their stats, Giant Lord being a barely altered redo of the first boss, Nashandra and Aldia both being weaklings who go down to a light breeze, Throne Watchers, who I actually forgot existed until I started typing this, and Darklurker, the only good fight, being locked behind that excruciating abyss room you have to redo every time you go in.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Who could forget such timeless bosses as Literally Just Sif But You Have A 50% Chance Of Being hosed, Literally Just Ornstein, Dragonrider But This Time There's Two, Smelter Again, Fat Potato, and Literally Just Quelaag?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 31, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

multijoe posted:

The damage sponge issue in DS2's DLC is with its normal enemies, loads of which have the poise and HP of elite enemies even when their design doesn't warrant it, I'd actually agree the bosses of DLC are good and some of the best in the series

As far as the base game goes for me there's just so many which are neither interesting or challenging mechanically and a load of the better ones are cribbed directly from DS1 like Royal Rat Authotity and not-Quelagg. The endgame boss selection is particularly awful, with Ancient Dragon and Vendrick both being *extremely* basic fights which are only remotely challenging because of their stats, Giant Lord being a barely altered redo of the first boss, Nashandra and Aldia both being weaklings who go down to a light breeze, Throne Watchers, who I actually forgot existed until I started typing this, and Darklurker, the only good fight, being locked behind that excruciating abyss room you have to redo every time you go in.

It sounded like Mr. Crow was referring to the boss health specifically with this bit:

Mr. Crow posted:

The average boss health for the DLC is like 9500 while in the base game it rarely gets above 6000 but sure ill bite, which mini bosses did you have trouble with?

But yeah I think there are a lot of issues with DS2's base game bosses. For me they either fall into three categories:

1. Boring: There's just not enough here to justify being a boss, they don't do much at all and it's only a matter of dully dodging and hitting. Desperately in need of some extra moves and phases to be memorable. (ex. The Last Giant, Duke's Dear Freja, Old Iron King)

2. Too Easy: Bosses that could be cool but just die too fast, due to a combination of low HP and resistances. They could also use some more moves or phase changes to stay interesting. The baseline is there at least, but they simply die too fast to even register. (Ex. Nashandra, Scorpioness Najka, all the Dragonriders)

3. A good, fun challenge for their expected level: Honestly a lot of the "humanoid with a weapon" ones fall in this camp for me, I guess it makes sense that they'd be the easiest to quickly design a challenging fight around, especially when it looks like the devs most experienced with good beast bosses were all tapped for Bloodborne at the same time. By sheer volume of bosses in 2, there's still a lot in this category for me but there's a lot more up and down between interesting bosses because of that, too. The DLC bosses besides the Sunken King gank squad all fit in this category, which tells me if the final team had the time to work, they'd make quality boss fights but were clearly hamstrung with time constraints in the base game.

Oh and then there's the Magus and Congregation, which are just the epitome of filler and transcend trash categorization.

GrossMurpel posted:

Who could forget such timeless bosses as Literally Just Sif But You Have A 50% Chance Of Being hosed, Literally Just Ornstein, Dragonrider But This Time There's Two, Smelter Again, Fat Potato, and Literally Just Quelaag?

Old Dragonslayer and Smelter are fun :shrug:. Recycling bosses are a separate issue from whether they're good fights or not. I like the idea of the double Dragonrider fight and how you can knock one down early to kill fast, but it needed some better way to signal that on top of Dragonrider as a fight just needing more to it. The Covetous Demon is boring, Najka is too easy, and the Royal Rat Authority is also boring. I don't know why you think those were the good bosses I was talking about.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 31, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Parrying is just all down to timing, with small shields/dedicated parrying implements having better frame windows than normal shields. You can parry basically anything that's A) humanoid and B) holding a weapon; I think the largest enemies you can parry are Sulyvahn and Cathedral Knights?
not quite!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz7D6oya-Kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2myyvprd0M
(you can also just riposte the crabs when they lift both their claws up, no parry required.)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 31, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The other thing thats hit me on this playthrough is my ranking of the series. I thought this was my favorite, but its just cause I had built it up so much in my mind leading up to it, and played it so heavily for a few months, especially the PvP which I didn't gently caress with much before. But the starting area is so very awful, the game is so linear, relatively. 1 really was a tough act to follow.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Maybe I was under levelled and/or had a bad loadout when I went through the DS2 DLC, its been years so I don't rally remember, all I remember is gimmicky slogs. I think the stats on fextralife are pretty telling though.

I think we can all agree with DS2 they were experimenting with different philosophies of game design for better or worse. They clearly thought at the time people loved the souls games for the boss battles which is why there are a loving million of them, whether they ran out of time to make more of them interesting or if they just didn't care i think is probably up for debate.

Don't get me wrong DS2 is still a great game, but to me and comparing it to the rest of the franchise its by far the weakest.

Sekiro is still their best game though :twisted:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Crow posted:

Maybe I was under levelled and/or had a bad loadout when I went through the DS2 DLC, its been years so I don't rally remember, all I remember is gimmicky slogs. I think the stats on fextralife are pretty telling though.

I think we can all agree with DS2 they were experimenting with different philosophies of game design for better or worse. They clearly thought at the time people loved the souls games for the boss battles which is why there are a loving million of them, whether they ran out of time to make more of them interesting or if they just didn't care i think is probably up for debate.

Don't get me wrong DS2 is still a great game, but to me and comparing it to the rest of the franchise its by far the weakest.

Sekiro is still their best game though :twisted:

I find the development of 2 interesting because it did come out half-baked in a lot of spots from rushing it out, but there's also a lot of competing ideas in it that never seemed to be properly refined either in the long dev cycle or culled once new leadership took over. A lot of the things it seems to be responding to were complaints and player behaviors that came out of the early playerbase of DS1 that now seem largely solved by later games or a broader growth in skill of the dedicated fanbase.

Like you get all these stacking ways they tried to discourage twink PVP invaders that over-correct so hard they spin around into a dumber situation solution to the issue when it was already easily solved by the game anchoring damage scaling of elemental weapons and magics to stat scaling. Or the way the game has about a billion more NPC summons than all the other games combined and ways to incentivize summoning for level exploration instead of just steamrolling a boss, and more NPC invaders to practice gettin gud on. And also trying to push players into unlocking their cameras, dropping their shields, and to cut out the circle strafing, but doing it in a grating, passive aggressive way when more coherent teachable moments would have been way better.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I still don't understand why they don't just normalize player interactions on the host. They half did it for password coop, just do it to all human interaction and it'll solve most of the PvP issues. The netcode I wish they would fix, its better in the later games but still annoying when you get teleport backstabbed, though is players were normalized it would be less of an issue.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Because they want pvp to be asymmetrical. Also see: invasions prioritizing dried finger hosts with a fat squad of phantoms.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You will have to elaborate because normalizing doesn't change anything about how or when invasions work. They already try to normalize somewhat and go the obtuse level range and weapon range route. If they normalized it properly PvP would be much healthier as any level could join any level so you would get more interactions and some of the worthless covenants would be more entertaining. For example you wouldn't have to stay between 30-40 for wolves of farron.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mr. Crow posted:

A lot of it I think was the overreaction to elemental builds and magic being super strong. From what I recall, you pretty much had to go pure physical damage to do anything appreciable to the enemies.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think it would just take a disproportionate and non-worthwhile amount of effort to create a normalization that couldn't be abused for what is a side attraction in a PvE game. As it stands, it's just part of the jank the series has and if you don't take it too seriously, it's even possible to classify it as the good jank

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mr. Crow posted:

You will have to elaborate because normalizing doesn't change anything about how or when invasions work. They already try to normalize somewhat and go the obtuse level range and weapon range route. If they normalized it properly PvP would be much healthier as any level could join any level so you would get more interactions and some of the worthless covenants would be more entertaining. For example you wouldn't have to stay between 30-40 for wolves of farron.
Well, let me put it this way: as an example, I think the dark hand, something specifically for invaders, has high base damage primarily to make it useful for earlygame invasions. The game has tools like this(and so has every game in the series has) with the expectation that invaders will be better both mechanically and also have better game knowledge, letting them make better builds for the level they are invading at. Which is why invaders not only can only invade people who are able to summon, but prioritize people with a lot of summons. Invaders making twinky builds is intended gameplay, and it's just part of the aspect of "invaders will generally be better than non-invaders"(otherwise they wouldn't be invading) which is balanced by invaders frequently fighting multiple people.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Is the undead merchant really the only NPC that sells firebombs in DS1?

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Firebomb

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

neurotech posted:

Is the undead merchant really the only NPC that sells firebombs in DS1?

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Firebomb

Yeah. You can get black bombs from Chester and the weird steel armor guy in Sen’s though

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

skasion posted:

Yeah. You can get black bombs from Chester and the weird steel armor guy in Sen’s though

Cheers, thanks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm fairly certain Patches sells them too.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I think I’ve hosed up bad. I'm at the dragon bonfire in the Ash Lake. I'm cursed. No purging stone. My +5 Uchi does 45~ damage to the crabs which is about 10% of their health at best, and I don't think I want to know how little damage I can do to the Black Hydra. I'm about ready to give up :sadday:

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

neurotech posted:

I think I’ve hosed up bad. I'm at the dragon bonfire in the Ash Lake. I'm cursed. No purging stone. My +5 Uchi does 45~ damage to the crabs which is about 10% of their health at best, and I don't think I want to know how little damage I can do to the Black Hydra. I'm about ready to give up :sadday:

Ah, the sweet despair of the series is still strong

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

neurotech posted:

This is the point where you realize you can run past most enemies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

neurotech posted:

That happened to me the first time I was going through the game too. I put my mind to it and climbed all the way out of the great hollow and blighttown just to go buy a purging stone.

Then I had to go back in because I'd gone there before Quelaag. :darksouls:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

That sounds like what I'll have to do. The thought of trekking all the way back up Great Hollow and out through Blighttown isn't exactly the most motivating. I might leave it until the weekend.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Elden ring better not have any fuckin poison swamps

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

codo27 posted:

Elden ring better not have any fuckin poison swamps

Saving this post to lmbo in 2023 when it's released

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope it's all poison swamps

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lmao there is literally no chance there's isn't at least one poison shithole level in Elden Ring, it's practically Miyazaki's signature feature

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He should stop being a coward and start making them vaguely dangerous instead of a mild inconvenience again

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

multijoe posted:

Lmao there is literally no chance there's isn't at least one poison shithole level in Elden Ring, it's practically Miyazaki's signature feature

I'd love it if he knows this and subverts expectation somehow. Like, there's one tiny puddle, 3 strides across which causes poison to tick, and that's it. One tiny spot in the entire game. Maybe with a half destroyed decoration from Blighttown nearby.

He won't, tho. :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HaB posted:

I'd love it if he knows this and subverts expectation somehow. Like, there's one tiny puddle, 3 strides across which causes poison to tick, and that's it. One tiny spot in the entire game. Maybe with a half destroyed decoration from Blighttown nearby.

He won't, tho. :(

Sekiro's Poison Swamp Area was like, one room with a miniboss, so it might be more likely than you think

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope they really commit to it again and build an elaborate hellscape like they did with the Valley of Defilement and Blighttown. Farron Swamp was just annoying and the Sekiro one was basically cheating with his movement options.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

vaguely dangerous instead of a mild inconvenience

Yeah tell me that while I have giant dragon fatties swatting at me with curse rotted trees while I can only walk through knee deep sludge. Where the gently caress do you get the poo poo walking ring anyway?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

codo27 posted:

Yeah tell me that while I have giant dragon fatties swatting at me with curse rotted trees while I can only walk through knee deep sludge. Where the gently caress do you get the poo poo walking ring anyway?

ain't one in ds3. if you really want you can equip a dagger and use the quickstep weapon art to zoom around

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There will be a swamp, but the poison will apply when you aren't waist-deep in the muck.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I hope there aren't any seemingly lone enemies but when I approach them I get blindsided by an enemy around a blind corner. :ohdear:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
boy I can't wait to loot chests in fromsoft's new video game, elden ring

oh no what's all these teeth made out of fingers hhrrblrbhrblhlbl

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

neurotech posted:

If you can kite the clams down there into the hydra's attacks, they have a chance of dropping purging stones. You should be able to kite the hydra around, too, if you need to get it away and pick at the bodies after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I picked this back up yesterday and immediately got lost with my old character so I started a new one. I always loved playing magic fencer types in 1 and 2 and got my rear end handed to me real quick when I tried to start out playing 3 that way, but I feel like I know my way around a little bit better now so I'm going to try it. Does Magic Weapon do extra poise damage, or just extra magic damage? Also is there any good light armor near the beginning of the game? I'm running around in the Master's robes just because the starter Sorcerer robes look dumb.