Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm immune to TE's gear and hype. :smuggo:

[dumps retirement fund into new eurorack hotness]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm still mad we got corona'd before i could make it up to Ikea for those cool lights they made.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm still mad we got corona'd before i could make it up to Ikea for those cool lights they made.

I saw them in person, they’re still available if you can go to an IKEA now. They’re pretty dumb, tbh.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I saw them in person, they’re still available if you can go to an IKEA now. They’re pretty dumb, tbh.

I went to IKEA in Atlanta recently and it is a shitshow. If you value your health I would not go there. They are not handling this pandemic business at all. They closed all but a couple registers and theres a giant rear end line going back to the showroom and nobody is properly distanced.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I went to IKEA in Atlanta recently and it is a shitshow. If you value your health I would not go there. They are not handling this pandemic business at all. They closed all but a couple registers and theres a giant rear end line going back to the showroom and nobody is properly distanced.

Oh word. I’m in MA, and just in general, we’ve been handling the pandemic way better than the vast majority of the rest of the country. Even just the social pressure aspect of it has been better than down south. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen people belligerently flout the mask and social distancing rules in a business.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

only sort of related to synthesizers but my friend just finished mastering a few of my tracks and its amazing how much a different set of ears can improve something that you felt was already pretty good. hopefully this means i can have a short little album of live synth music out before too long

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh word. I’m in MA, and just in general, we’ve been handling the pandemic way better than the vast majority of the rest of the country. Even just the social pressure aspect of it has been better than down south. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen people belligerently flout the mask and social distancing rules in a business.

Yeah not gonna argue that. But dumb people are everywhere, so stay safe and dont make dumb decisions for some lights.

We are dumber in the South, but America is the worlds Florida, including MA.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

What are these cool Ikea lights? We don't have an Ikea here, but I'll be in Frankfurt for a while next month and I'm interested.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah not gonna argue that. But dumb people are everywhere, so stay safe and dont make dumb decisions for some lights.

We are dumber in the South, but America is the worlds Florida, including MA.

Oh absolutely. Especially MA, have you ever met a Pats fan? Or worse, a Bruins fan?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh absolutely. Especially MA, have you ever met a Pats fan? Or worse, a Bruins fan?

Sports guys© in general are the worst.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
A long time ago I saw a gothed out Marilyn Manson backstage sign that said: No Smoking and No Talking About Sports. I wish I could find a picture of that again.

Anyway. I have a keyboard stand now and my plans worked out. The macbook fits perfectly on the DX7, doesn't interfere with anything. I am using it more for a midi controller and it does a fine job as far as I am concerned. I'm using Plogue Chipsounds. Might get some Valhalla effects later. Any recommendations? Just jamming really.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Just for interest, lol at these space runes. I love it but the Yamaha engineers were so optimistic that anyone would ever make sense of that. Oh I wish I had an analog heat to run this through.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

A long time ago I saw a gothed out Marilyn Manson backstage sign that said: No Smoking and No Talking About Sports. I wish I could find a picture of that again.

Anyway. I have a keyboard stand now and my plans worked out. The macbook fits perfectly on the DX7, doesn't interfere with anything. I am using it more for a midi controller and it does a fine job as far as I am concerned. I'm using Plogue Chipsounds. Might get some Valhalla effects later. Any recommendations? Just jamming really.

Looks sexy. I come from the guitar world so Im all about that tube amp sound. Maybe get a pedal voiced to sound like a classic amp like an Echoplex 101. Give it that oomph you wouldnt get otherwise. Maybe get a nice analog delay like the El Capistan, or a nice analog chorus to really get that sound.

https://youtu.be/wZj53A5RGoU

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 31, 2020

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Trig Discipline posted:

What are these cool Ikea lights? We don't have an Ikea here, but I'll be in Frankfurt for a while next month and I'm interested.

This promo video really makes me question how cool they are. imo the Rick & Morty themed pocket operator is what soured my impression on TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgj9nin89o

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

*insert joke here about the DX7's interface being more useful as a work surface than for actually programming it*

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Grab a DT7 and get one knob per function for that DX7!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oldstench posted:

that’s a lotta knobs!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I went to the IKEA in Schaumburg (northwest side of the Chicago metro) and it was fine. I think the "Atlanta" part of your equation is the main factor, considering Georgia in general being a festering cesspool of covid ignorance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I went to the IKEA in Schaumburg (northwest side of the Chicago metro) and it was fine. I think the "Atlanta" part of your equation is the main factor, considering Georgia in general being a festering cesspool of covid ignorance.

Yeah, every time I get mad about our piece-of-poo poo GOP governor here in MA, I'm reminded that governors like Kemp, DeSantis, and Abbott exist. My goondolences. At least your rap music is good. I'm pretty sure MA thinks their high water mark in that department was House Of Pain, and they're from Los Angeles.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Oldstench posted:

That would be cool. I think I'll just use the keyboard as a really nice midi controller + the front panel as a workspace for my laptop. Recording in midi is so much easier.

https://soundcloud.com/thabirdg/i-love-momotaro
I made this little ditty just now. It's mostly chipsounds but the dx7 did the lead. It's fun, I really like Ableton.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I guess you should mix and record with a cell phone speaker in mind these days, since thats how everyone interacts with the internet now. limiting the number of voices in your song so the waveforms don't get too complex for a lovely iphone speaker to handle, I suppose.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Fors Yard posted:

This promo video really makes me question how cool they are. imo the Rick & Morty themed pocket operator is what soured my impression on TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgj9nin89o

Oh neat, thanks!

e: when the gently caress did Ikea start selling cajons?

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/frekvens-kistentrommel-sperrholz-40420297/

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

I agree, Atlanta is like any normal big city, but we are unfortunately surrounded on all sides by Georgians.

My fiancee and I are actively looking at other parts of the US. We've both decided that being a car drive away from our families isnt worth this poo poo anymore.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, every time I get mad about our piece-of-poo poo GOP governor here in MA, I'm reminded that governors like Kemp, DeSantis, and Abbott exist. My goondolences. At least your rap music is good. I'm pretty sure MA thinks their high water mark in that department was House Of Pain, and they're from Los Angeles.

No worries, right on the mark.

I think it is generally agreed the South has better food and better music but worse people and worse weather.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

No worries, right on the mark.

I think it is generally agreed the South has better food and better music but worse people and worse weather.

o_0

I got the shareware of renoise reduxe but I cannot figure out how to install it into the Macintosh operating system.
I might buy regular old Renoise and just use 2 DAWs, and like chain Renoise into Ableton, even. Like a sort of master/slave relationship? I'm not sure the terminology.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Renoise rewires into other stuff really well, I went through a phase of using it like some supersampler rewired into either Cubase or Live

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Behringer really knocked it out of the park with the TD-3.

I haven't touched any of my gear in almost a year and this thing got me making terrible electro for hours.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oldstench posted:

Behringer really knocked it out of the park with the TD-3.

I haven't touched any of my gear in almost a year and this thing got me making terrible electro for hours.

Yup. Literally what people have wanted for like, 10 years now. Just recreate the sound of a 303 right on the money. Slap on even a basic rendition of the original sequencer, and make it dirt cheap. Its such a duh thing but everything else has either been super expensive (Avalon), so-so sounding and also DIY (x0xb0x), or basically poo poo (everything Roland has tried to do themselves with weird touch screens and software renditions).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like my TB-03 :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I like my TB-03 :colbert:

I’m glad I waited for the new one instead.

(Tbf, I’m sure JU-06 buyers wish they’d waited for the updated version from last year. Roland, get your poo poo together)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a weird Behringer hangup but holy poo poo am I ever tempted to add that TD-3 to my main impact/microbrute go to combo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress you synth thread im adding more demos to my watch later

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Honestly I think the only reason to get a TD-3 or any 303/clone is if you have a legitimate fetish for the exact sound. Otherwise there's other synths that do the same things only "better"/with more options.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

toadee posted:

Honestly I think the only reason to get a TD-3 or any 303/clone is if you have a legitimate fetish for the exact sound. Otherwise there's other synths that do the same things only "better"/with more options.

This is correct. I'm an acid freak, so I had to have 'cause I'm sure as hell never shelling out the $$ for a real 303. That, and my x0xb0x never really did it for me. It's OK, but it never sounded right at all.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Oldstench posted:

This is correct. I'm an acid freak, so I had to have 'cause I'm sure as hell never shelling out the $$ for a real 303. That, and my x0xb0x never really did it for me. It's OK, but it never sounded right at all.

Yes I feel you and I are the same person here.

I do actually like the sound of my x0x now alongside the TD-3. Like blurping out some randomish sawtooth squiggles alongside a 14-step TD-3 pattern it sounds proper Rolandy in concert.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the only thing id realllly like on my TB-03 would be the ability to just play the chiclet keys live instead of sequence. I like to jam out on chiclet keys

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

My favorite part of the 303 is thinking about who on Earth thought this thing was worth bringing to market. The sequencer is almost impossible to program in one bar with, much less a whole song. It sounds nothing like a bass guitar. And why should the filter on a bass guitar simulator even be able to be pushed into self-resonance? Every part of this instrument is stupid, how did it make it past the first QA phase? What was this thing for?

Anyway I love it.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
worked pretty well as bass in in Rip It Up

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

ColdPie posted:

My favorite part of the 303 is thinking about who on Earth thought this thing was worth bringing to market. The sequencer is almost impossible to program in one bar with, much less a whole song. It sounds nothing like a bass guitar. And why should the filter on a bass guitar simulator even be able to be pushed into self-resonance? Every part of this instrument is stupid, how did it make it past the first QA phase? What was this thing for?

Anyway I love it.

For the time the sequencer wasn't that bad. It's hard to get into the right mindset today, but at the time, computers were just arcane nonsense tech anyway. Almost all computer interfaces for dealing with anything were a nightmare like this. And, hell, if you think the 303 is bad, try programming a 202, or even worse an MC-4 or MC-8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I really like my x0xb0x. The "atomic mods" (switches on the sides) makes the cutoff, res and env mod much higher range so it makes it a lot more expressive and fun to play with. The mods on top I never touch (not a fan of distorted 303 usually). I've never used a true 303 but I like the programming method the x0xb0x it uses and it's fun to fill a pattern with the notes you want and then just go complete random with up/down/slide and see what comes out.