Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waffle! posted:

Goddamn it, now 2020's claimed Vlambeer too.
One of the dudes was a huge prick so it's probably for the best. They made some cool games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

American McGay posted:

For years he was known as ValveNewsNetwork and originally tried to convince kids who loved TF2 that he was an official branch of Valve for press releases and new information.

Recently he's rebranded to NintendoNewsNetwork. I guess the Valve reservoirs have dried up these past few years.

That level of false representation seems like lawsuit city.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Regardless of the 3D All-Stars rumor being real, I feel pretty confident we’ll get 3D World relatively soon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Man, have I been brainwashed by decades of capitalist propaganda or is it super weird to close a profitable company that has good brand recognition, and then still keep doing the same thing independently? Go ahead, work on your individual projects, but release it under the Vermeer name! You'll make more money that way!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'll miss the games more than the dudes. Still salty about no dedicated airhorn.wav button for the Nuclear Throne port.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
3D World Deluxe is the one rumor I believe because of course that’s going to happen. It’s like predicting that the sun will set

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the mario collection is real and I have it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

Man, have I been brainwashed by decades of capitalist propaganda or is it super weird to close a profitable company that has good brand recognition, and then still keep doing the same thing independently? Go ahead, work on your individual projects, but release it under the Vermeer name! You'll make more money that way!

it seems like they thought of it more like being in a successful band or something. an artistic collective that happens to be financially self-sustaining

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The Fugazi of video game developers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Hedonist posted:

Fugheddaboudit

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i coulda used way more platforming in mario odyssey

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nintendo will release games for the Switch sometime in the future.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nintendo should be the first company to release their next video game sometime in the past. Linear time scales are for scrubs

That video game's name? Albert EinsteinA link to the past

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They already released A Link to the Past, in the past. In fact, they then released it again in the future, now the past, and again recently in the present, which is now the past, but they could release it in the future, just like when they released the future version of A Link to the Past in the present, now the past, but at some point was the future.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

They already released A Link to the Past, in the past. In fact, they then released it again in the future, now the past, and again recently in the present, which is now the past, but they could release it in the future, just like when they released the future version of A Link to the Past in the present, now the past, but at some point was the future.

But what about now? When will then be now?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just finished Moon. What a marvelous game this is! I can't believe it took so long for it to come overseas but I adore this weird little thing. Easily one of the best games I've played this year and if someone puts out like a Limited Run release I'll double dip on that.

The combination of digital PS1-era sprite and real world claymation design is such a peculiar aesthetic that fits its strange world. I haven't seen much of anything like it in today's gaming and it's such a breath of fresh air. The cast of characters is very peculiar, they all have their little eccentricities and most of them have little stories you can poke around and uncover but those are not a focal point, but I did enjoy peeking about and learning about each character. It was pretty relaxing and fun to wander around a JRPG world as more of an observer and unlock all the strange mysteries of its world, big and small, and do all these kooky little mini-games or figure out the best way to catch an animal's soul to rescue it. It's like a big puzzle you have to figure out, with a soft time limit based around how much Love you've collected but frankly after a few hours you collect so much Love that the only real barriers are the rare "you need <X> amount of Love to survive a trip" events.

There's not a whole lot I didn't like about it, aside from a few things. Some of the Love you can collect is surprisingly difficult (completing the fishing contest, beating the rocket simulator) and because it's a straight port of the PS1 version some of the bugs the Japanese complain about are still present (I wasn't able to finish Noge the Toy Prince's storyline because it bugged out!) but you can get so much Love in the game that you don't even need to come close to finding all of it to finish it. Also I understand it's a game from another era but a couple of the required puzzles near the end of the game went right over my head and I had to use a guide (I have no idea how I was supposed to figure out the solution to the Mushroom Forest ritual with what they give you) but these weren't really enough to sour me on the experience. Just mild irritation as I peeked over at GameFAQs.

All in all, a short breezy open-world adventure puzzle game with a lot of heart and charm. If you're a fan of Toby Fox's brand of eccentric charm found in Undertale and Deltarune then you should definitely get this, because there's so much in this game that went on to inspire those games. There were so many times I'd visit a new location or meet a character or figure out a plot point and the light just went on in my head like "OH so THAT'S where Toby got that idea!" It kind of enhanced the experience for me, as someone who greatly enjoyed Undertale and Deltarune. Also Geno's in it*.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

American McGay posted:

One of the dudes was a huge prick so it's probably for the best. They made some cool games though.

They hated each other publicly for some time

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They hated each other publicly for some time

sounds more like Refused

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

As a counterpoint, I have thoroughly enjoyed Turok 2 and Immortal Redneck in portable mode.

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but there's no multiplayer on the Switch version wtf

Felt ripped off tbh, I have the Steam version though which has it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/rami-ismails-top-10-games-of-2018/1100-5832/

quote:

Alternative: Minit requires a bit of a disclaimer--it was created by a team of dear friends that happen to include my co-founder at Vlambeer. Normally you’d say that creates a conflict of interest, because you’d assume I like him, or have any benefit from selecting Minit for this list--but I am entirely uninvolved with Minit, and my co-founder and I don’t like each other. So, the fact that I put Minit is on this list regardless should tell you enough about how genuinely good this game is.

Hey it could have been a joke??

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Spellman posted:

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but there's no multiplayer on the Switch version wtf

Felt ripped off tbh, I have the Steam version though which has it

Wait, what. I feel like Turok was one of the better multiplayer 64 games. Wild to not have the multiplayer. Especially if they're charging $20 for it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

what the gently caress is a joke

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zurtilik posted:

Wait, what. I feel like Turok was one of the better multiplayer 64 games. Wild to not have the multiplayer. Especially if they're charging $20 for it.

I believe someone who worked on the game posts here on the forums, and *I think* they said that the Switch version of Turok 2 doesn't even run on the same engine as the others due to some weird limitation. Either they said that, or I read it somewhere. This may have a lot to do with it.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Policenaut posted:

I just finished Moon. What a marvelous game this is! I can't believe it took so long for it to come overseas but I adore this weird little thing. Easily one of the best games I've played this year and if someone puts out like a Limited Run release I'll double dip on that.

The combination of digital PS1-era sprite and real world claymation design is such a peculiar aesthetic that fits its strange world. I haven't seen much of anything like it in today's gaming and it's such a breath of fresh air. The cast of characters is very peculiar, they all have their little eccentricities and most of them have little stories you can poke around and uncover but those are not a focal point, but I did enjoy peeking about and learning about each character. It was pretty relaxing and fun to wander around a JRPG world as more of an observer and unlock all the strange mysteries of its world, big and small, and do all these kooky little mini-games or figure out the best way to catch an animal's soul to rescue it. It's like a big puzzle you have to figure out, with a soft time limit based around how much Love you've collected but frankly after a few hours you collect so much Love that the only real barriers are the rare "you need <X> amount of Love to survive a trip" events.

There's not a whole lot I didn't like about it, aside from a few things. Some of the Love you can collect is surprisingly difficult (completing the fishing contest, beating the rocket simulator) and because it's a straight port of the PS1 version some of the bugs the Japanese complain about are still present (I wasn't able to finish Noge the Toy Prince's storyline because it bugged out!) but you can get so much Love in the game that you don't even need to come close to finding all of it to finish it. Also I understand it's a game from another era but a couple of the required puzzles near the end of the game went right over my head and I had to use a guide (I have no idea how I was supposed to figure out the solution to the Mushroom Forest ritual with what they give you) but these weren't really enough to sour me on the experience. Just mild irritation as I peeked over at GameFAQs.

All in all, a short breezy open-world adventure puzzle game with a lot of heart and charm. If you're a fan of Toby Fox's brand of eccentric charm found in Undertale and Deltarune then you should definitely get this, because there's so much in this game that went on to inspire those games. There were so many times I'd visit a new location or meet a character or figure out a plot point and the light just went on in my head like "OH so THAT'S where Toby got that idea!" It kind of enhanced the experience for me, as someone who greatly enjoyed Undertale and Deltarune. Also Geno's in it*.

Just started playing this. Looking forward to what I find

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't wait to play Moon!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

Nintendo will release games for the Switch sometime in the future.

Well yeah that news leaked months ago

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-set-of-mystery-skus-for-switch-pop-up-in-gamestops-internal-database/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that should be considered rumor until proven otherwise tbh. if they had any plans to release a game they would probably announce it first

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is moon some weird Ultima IV clone?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

that should be considered rumor until proven otherwise tbh. if they had any plans to release a game they would probably announce it first

Now that Diablo 3 is on the Switch I’m genuinely confused as to why they’re bothering with more games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Takoluka posted:

I believe someone who worked on the game posts here on the forums, and *I think* they said that the Switch version of Turok 2 doesn't even run on the same engine as the others due to some weird limitation. Either they said that, or I read it somewhere. This may have a lot to do with it.

Quoting myself to say it was in this DF Retro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYBhSoRvTY&t=906s

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dabir posted:

what the gently caress is a joke

This thread

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I headed east in HLD and I'm in a room with 15 platforms trapped with flame jets. It looks like I have to dash across these things in a certain order because there are walls placed between several of the platforms. My problem is I can't do this without dying so I brute forced my way through it by healing twice on the way to the destination platform. Are there dash upgrades that will make this possible later or am I bad at this game? I'm stumped and would appreciate some clarification.

edit: so it seems you can go diagonal across these platforms, resulting in less damage taken enroute to the destination platform which makes for an easier return trip.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 1, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Was able to find a Japanese ebayer who sold it to me at MSRP plus $20 shipping!

They even put in a little thank you note

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hell yeah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Too bad they never released a PS4 drum in the US, demand for the Japanese PS4 drum was driven up to $200-$300. I might have to buy the Chinese knock off for the PS4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dealing with the East on eBay is always a pleasure. Whenever I import some PS4 game or whatever they always give me a thank you note or a piece of candy or something along those lines and it's great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s such a Japanese thing. Last time I went there for vacation, I bought some chocolates at a boutique, and they asked me if I was going to go back to my hotel room right away or if I was going to keep sightseeing. I told him I was still sightseeing. As I traveled around Tokyo I started noticing there was frost forming on the outside of the plastic bag that was holding my chocolates. When I looked inside I realized that he put some dry ice inside to keep my chocolates from melting. Service!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RandomFerret posted:

Whether this was intentional or not, :golfclap:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My phone's autocorrect has been making better posts than me for years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy