Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

the_enduser posted:

Yeah not sure exactly, but it does look like they're all doing the flow through design but all the AIBs are adding RGBS!!!111

It was subtle, but Jensen did say there was RGB on at least the 3080 FE. Kind of annoying, seems like not having idiotic lights that you have to fight to disable is dead in PC gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

D3 rules, keep in mind that for most of the thread regulars in here their closest contact to games is Timespy.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
All AIBs seem to have taken cues from Nvidia for the air through flow and... then blocked off the short or perforated PCB with the backplate :shepface:

It's like case manufacturers deliberately making the airflow poo poo all over again.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am suspicious of the fact that the benchmarks we're seeing so far are all in terms of speed relative to previous cards and not raw frame rates.

My guess is that it's because previous RTX frame rates were often bad, so announcing "now we can do 60 FPS!" on the newest generation GPUs sounds weak. Especially in an era when 100+ FPS monitors are becoming popular.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

K8.0 posted:

The DF numbers may be underselling things a bit. The test system is a 10900k which is already slower than a 3950x in a lot of the newest games, and that's before you move to a PCE 4.0 GPU. It's still probably not quite double 2080 performance, but it's a pretty incredible generational leap. The 1080Ti was the last really big 2 year leap, and that was a ~80% performance jump in the most extreme situations (like 4K Doom) but the 1080Ti was also $50 more than the 980Ti. That and the relative proximity to the 3090 and the large gap from the 3070 make the 3080 look like one of those cards that people who buy it are unlikely to regret.

Every review I've ever seen has the 10900k ahead of the 3950x for the vast majority of games so I'm curious where you're getting this.

Pcie 3 vs 4 may be relevant but that's by no means a given. Nvidias cards have historically been pretty insensitive to pcie bandwidth over 8 lanes of pcie3.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The 2080Ti was the first GPU to accomplish theoretically saturating a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. PCIe 3.0 x16 will handle the 3090 with some headroom to spare.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Yes, 5th gen was a complete shitshow but at least they didn't have the gall to nearly double the price at the same time. And then reverse that decision a gen later. Woof.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Is there size details yet for the 3080 FE? Trying to figure out if it’ll fit in my case.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Another stupid question: I'm getting an HP Reverb G2 whenever they come out which is why I'm targeting something heftier this replacement cycle. Is a 3070 going to be sufficient for that or do I need to go up to the 3080? I only have a 1080p monitor.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

axeil posted:

Another stupid question: I'm getting an HP Reverb G2 whenever they come out which is why I'm targeting something heftier this replacement cycle. Is a 3070 going to be sufficient for that or do I need to go up to the 3080? I only have a 1080p monitor.

Baseline VR for that headset is probably going to be a GTX 1080. So yeah, it will be sufficient.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

Is there size details yet for the 3080 FE? Trying to figure out if it’ll fit in my case.

It's 2 slots, standard height, 285mm long

Pretty standard aside from the flow-through cooler

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I was telling myself that my i3770k and 980 could hold out a few more years, but that digital foundry video might have sold me on building a new PC.

That and FS2020 running like poo poo at any international airport.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think everyone knew the 20xx series were going to be a mess. If you thought the first generation bringing RTX out was going to be some sort of excellent price:performance ratio, you were being silly. There was a lot of additional cost and R&D that went into RTX with no game ecosystem for it yet.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 1, 2020

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So whats the deal with being super tight lipped on the 3090? Waiting to see what amd with swing with?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So 2 8 pins coming separately from the power supply, that means individual split cables are a no go right? Cable management is going to be a mess with the 3080 since that's all my psu shipped with

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Leaking the prices $100 high was smart. Everyone thinks they're getting a bargain paying $500 or $700 now instead of saying "well at least the price didn't go up over last year's models".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inept posted:

Leaking the prices $100 high was smart. Everyone thinks they're getting a bargain paying $500 or $700 now instead of saying "well at least the price didn't go up over last year's models".

Let me break it down into more analytical terms for the techies out there:

FPS Go Up = Good, $$ Go Down = Also Good

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That would probably work really well in my PC-011 Dynamic. I have intake fans on the bottom that would cover that thing in fresh cool air.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I wonder how that airflow interacts with stock CPU coolers.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fknlo posted:

That would probably work really well in my PC-011 Dynamic. I have intake fans on the bottom that would cover that thing in fresh cool air.

Same, intake on the bottom, AIO radiator intake on top, exhausting out the side panel behind the motherboard away from me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

As a current VR and GTX1070 haver, this depends. If you want to play the popular basic VR games like Beat Saber then a 3070 (or 1070, really) will be enough. If you want Flight Simulator to run smoothly, better get the 3090.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Diablo 3 is the only game I've paid for on two systems, I think (besides Doom), because its a very good game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

VorpalFish posted:

Every review I've ever seen has the 10900k ahead of the 3950x for the vast majority of games so I'm curious where you're getting this.

Pcie 3 vs 4 may be relevant but that's by no means a given. Nvidias cards have historically been pretty insensitive to pcie bandwidth over 8 lanes of pcie3.

HWUnboxed just did a video on CPU performance for benching the 30 series. At 4k the 3950x tends to pull ahead in a lot of DX12/Vulkan titles. Not surprising, with newer APIs/newer engines having better multithreading support, having a bunch more cores can help avoid any waiting for the CPU when you're GPU bottlenecked. It's not something I previously considered very much, but it's worth thinking about.

They also did a video on PCI-E bandwidth scaling and while often there is literally no difference, a lot of newer games/engines show that more bandwidth clearly helps. Ampere is a HUGE step forward in performance, it will absolutely be bottlenecked on 3.0 x16 in some games.

The differences won't be massive, but a few percent more performance is worth noting, especially when it's in more demanding situations that you'll care about more as hardware ages.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 1, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

Same, intake on the bottom, AIO radiator intake on top, exhausting out the side panel behind the motherboard away from me.

I've got my AIO radiator intake on the back, intakes on the bottom, and then exhaust out the top

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

D3 rules, keep in mind that for most of the thread regulars in here their closest contact to games is Timespy.

This is a quality joke and I want you to know I appreciate it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Cable management is going to be a mess with the 3080 since that's all my psu shipped with

the big name PSU manufacturers will almost certainly sell the 12-pin modular cable separately if you want to keep things tidy

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Is a single HDMI 2.1 port going to be enough for a VR headset and high end monitor in the near future?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

As a current VR and GTX1070 haver, this depends. If you want to play the popular basic VR games like Beat Saber then a 3070 (or 1070, really) will be enough. If you want Flight Simulator to run smoothly, better get the 3090.

Appreciate the help. Probably not doing any MS flight sim because I refuse to spend $1500 for a single game even if it is cool in VR.

Sounds like the 3070 should do the job then.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fknlo posted:

I've got my AIO radiator intake on the back, intakes on the bottom, and then exhaust out the top

Foolishly got a 280 radiator which sadly only mounts on the top or I'd be doing similar

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

repiv posted:

It's 2 slots, standard height, 285mm long

Pretty standard aside from the flow-through cooler

Hell yeah that’s nice sizing. Somehow it’s like the same size as my 1060. Now I know for sure it’ll fit my case if I don’t case upgrade.

I think I’m going FE if I can get one. It really seems like they focused hard on the cooling.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

https://www.pcgamer.com/asuss-new-rog-strix-cards-are-400w-behemoths-so-nvidia-ampere-has-room-to-breathe/ posted:

Nvidia's redesigned cooler and Asus' new Strix design both show that cooling needs to be seriously on point for these graphics cards. The ROG Strix uses three 8-pin power connectors, and can pull up to 400 watts. The TUF and Dual cards stick to a dual 8-pin power draw

400W AIB?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 1, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Makes you wonder why they didn’t keep the Titan branding for the 3090 if they’re calling the 3080 the flagship. Odd positioning.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Makes you wonder why they didn’t keep the Titan branding for the 3090 if they’re calling the 3080 the flagship. Odd positioning.

I have a feeling titan will come later.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
they could call it the "jensen spatulator 3090XT do the dew edition", they'd still sell the same cards to the same suckers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 3 is insanely good, sorry haters.

Also despite being made 8 years ago for toasters some parts can still slow your system down for no apparent reason, guild hideout omg.

D3 on toasters is a myth. A conspiracy by big toast to sell toasters. (It really doesn't run great on low end devices)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If it's a Titan why are they positioning it as a gaming card and not a compute card at all

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

K8.0 posted:

HWUnboxed just did a video on CPU performance for benching the 30 series. At 4k the 3950x tends to pull ahead in a lot of DX12/Vulkan titles. Not surprising, with newer APIs/newer engines having better multithreading support, having a bunch more cores can help avoid any waiting for the CPU when you're GPU bottlenecked. It's not something I previously considered very much, but it's worth thinking about.

They also did a video on PCI-E bandwidth scaling and while often there is literally no difference, a lot of newer games/engines show that more bandwidth clearly helps. Ampere is a HUGE step forward in performance, it will absolutely be bottlenecked on 3.0 x16 in some games.

The differences won't be massive, but a few percent more performance is worth noting, especially when it's in more demanding situations that you'll care about more as hardware ages.

Thanks. I'll give those a watch when I get off work. Would definitely be a new development.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The amount of raytraced samples taken with this RTX stuff, does it self-regulate based on frame rates (e.g. a fps limiter in game) and how long the rasterizer is taking? Card/driver going "poo poo's taking too long, sampling some more" or whatever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The 3090 is clearly what they would have called a Titan in the past. I don't see them bringing the Titan branding back. They didn't really leave room for it. Ti, Super, are all modifiers they use for their refresh cards. I don't see them adding Titan to the list and coming out with a "3080 Titan" instead of a "3080 Ti or 3080 Super." The thing already has 24 GB of RAM versus the 10 GB of the 3080. So yeah, I think Titan is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Might have missed it, but Nvdia updated their promos page and it looks like Watch Dogs: Grandmas + 1 year of geforce now is the promo for the RTX 3000 series cards. Sorry to anyone who was hoping for Cyberpunk.

Edit: of course I missed it 4 pages ago