Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Just saw the gay Trill DS9 episode and was surprised they got away with that in the 90s, drat.

I remember that being sort if a big deal at the time. It was pretty hyped up.

The ~:siren:lesbian kiss:siren:~ that is, not the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That story was really good for the first half and fell apart completely in the second half. It starts out as an adult parable about the allure and pitfalls of meeting and old flame and then changes the stakes into pointless sci-fi peril and some melodramatic plot about how they'll die if they get back together.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Arglebargle III posted:

That story was really good for the first half and fell apart completely in the second half. It starts out as an adult parable about the allure and pitfalls of meeting and old flame and then changes the stakes into pointless sci-fi peril and some melodramatic plot about how they'll die if they get back together.

otoh that resonates

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Watched the pah wraith Keiko episode. It's real tense, she is so creepy. There is a bit of tonal dissonance with the Rom b-plot, because it is so heartwarming, and he is so wholesome, but maybe they were going for a contrast thing. Still a very enjoyable episode.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rosalind Chao did a really good job of playing an impersonated demon person, i agree. She seemed extremely powerful and Not Nice At All

E: lol, as a kid when that came out i think the fact that i knew she was a teacher as a side job made her even more scary

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
anyone know why patrick steward didnt want diana muldaur back? was on his list of demands for season 2

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Luck Needed posted:

anyone know why patrick steward didnt want diana muldaur back? was on his list of demands for season 2

She got paid more than him

Also he was pissed about what had happened to McFadden

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was high the other day and thinking about an almost throwaway line from Picard about the Federation, something like "We've learned to identify likely criminals at birth, and they are treated before they can offend." Super sketch and really ignores the material conditions that give rise to most criminality.

Makes me wonder about Assigned Criminals At Birth But Reeducated people. Do they have all the same opportunities? Does that stick in their record if they apply for Star Fleet or to work in a phaser replo-factory?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If we accept the show at face value, then the Federation has removed all of the external influences that lead to criminality (and, in fact, may have removed some of the causal relationships e.g. private property) so really we're just talking about early intervention for sociopathy/psychopathy. I don't think there's any need to construct a dystopia when we're never shown that anyones' mental illness impedes their career - in fact, Barclay shows us that while some of the social stigma may still exist, Starfleet is very capable of recognizing that Barclay is an excellent engineer and a valuable member of the crew.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, the implication could be that mostly sick people would do crime in earth/federation society, but the show demonstrates that this does not hold true as soon as you're in a more precarious environment such as being among the stars, on a colony or at starfleet academy. Possibly, the definition of "crime" is rather different here as well; is petty theft a crime in a post-scarcity society, or just anti-social behavior? A lot of things we might consider crime might be written off as or correctly diagnosed as acting out.

The show also mentions that there's no prison, but rather enforced therapy. That's probably splitting hairs though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skasion posted:

She got paid more than him

Also he was pissed about what had happened to McFadden

She got paid more than the lead?!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Never heard that so don't know if it's true or not, but she was a well known actress beforehand. Similar to how Levar Burton was one of the biggest names at the start of TNG.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Supposing it's true, Muldaur getting paid more than the lead for a part where she' s on screen for 5m an episode to be racist to Data is 1,000% a result of being old friends with Gene

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Now that I look this up I can’t find a source that says exactly that. But she definitely did make more money than other members of the cast (unnamed) which contributed to the bad feeling around her.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

Now that I look this up I can’t find a source that says exactly that. But she definitely did make more money than other members of the cast (unnamed) which contributed to the bad feeling around her.

Also the cue card thing, which people put up with if you're Marlon Brando and that's about it

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zurui posted:

If we accept the show at face value, then the Federation has removed all of the external influences that lead to criminality (and, in fact, may have removed some of the causal relationships e.g. private property) so really we're just talking about early intervention for sociopathy/psychopathy. I don't think there's any need to construct a dystopia when we're never shown that anyones' mental illness impedes their career - in fact, Barclay shows us that while some of the social stigma may still exist, Starfleet is very capable of recognizing that Barclay is an excellent engineer and a valuable member of the crew.
I'm reminded of an episode of Voyager where for some reason they have to treat a dangerous criminal from the society of the week, and they notice his brain is abnormal in some way that made the guy super violent and they fix it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

We did see some of the criminally insane in Deep Space 9 (Jack stabbed his psychiatrist in the hand in his first scene) and they were still more or less treated like they were at summer camp.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vic Fontaine has the roni

https://twitter.com/startrekeire/status/1300506286841303041

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zurui posted:

I don't think there's any need to construct a dystopia

excuse me, we're discussing a space opera on the internet, we clearly need to find any excuse to make the depicted world a grotesque and disturbing place

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I figure Risa is actually super lame

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ok Worf.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I figure Risa is actually super lame

hahahhahah

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

why is risa so special when every planet in the Federation is meant to be a fucktopia, anyway

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

still annoyed this shot didn't have a payoff at the end of the episode

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If you end a holodeck program and you're sitting down, the chair should at least stay there until you get up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

why is risa so special when every planet in the Federation is meant to be a fucktopia, anyway

It’s the designated gently caress zone. The rest of the federation is cool with anything much in private but you cant just walk up to anyone and slip em the ole dick statue

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

If you end a holodeck program and you're sitting down, the chair should at least stay there until you get up.

depends on the height of the chair and your physical uh... dimensions whether it would trigger the safety protocols

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

thotsky posted:

Watched the pah wraith Keiko episode. It's real tense, she is so creepy. There is a bit of tonal dissonance with the Rom b-plot, because it is so heartwarming, and he is so wholesome, but maybe they were going for a contrast thing. Still a very enjoyable episode.

It's a real shame the Pah-Wraiths never had that level of menace in any of their other appearances, and just became cartoon demons.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm reminded of an episode of Voyager where for some reason they have to treat a dangerous criminal from the society of the week, and they notice his brain is abnormal in some way that made the guy super violent and they fix it.

It's been quite a while, but wasn't he also a member of a minority that was incarcerated at a disproportionately high level, but when Voyager tries to intervene his buddies just use it as an opportunity to pull space crimes? Was this written by the "what if you accused someone of rape and ruined his life" guy?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cat Hatter posted:

It's been quite a while, but wasn't he also a member of a minority that was incarcerated at a disproportionately high level, but when Voyager tries to intervene his buddies just use it as an opportunity to pull space crimes? Was this written by the "what if you accused someone of rape and ruined his life" guy?

Yeah that episode was horrific in terms of messaging. Starts off as a “black people are locked up at higher rates than whites” allegory, and then veers off into “turns out they really are all criminals!” :psyboom:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tighclops posted:

hahahhahah

Things I don't like to do on vacation: sit on a beach

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It turns out that predisposition for criminality can usually be cured by being put on the fast track to the admiralty.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

drat Felix keeping us on our toes.

Too poor taste? Sorry Jimmy, hang in there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

still annoyed this shot didn't have a payoff at the end of the episode

Absolute :same:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, neat, apparently when Matt Jeffries was designing the TOS bridge, the first attempt at all the console displays was to have touchscreens.

quote:

"For the displays, what I was after was a perfectly plain black panel that would light up when you touched a spot. But the lights were so strong that we didn't dare leave them on for more than a matter of seconds, or it would melt the unit under it!" In the end, the effect, envisioned as a film sandwiched between two pieces of glass and backlit, did not quite work out as well as Jefferies had intended, and he had to make do with a more static version for the computer readout displays and the overhead projection screens.

So basically trying to make an Okudagram, but they didn't have the tech to pull it off in the 60s. Pity, that would've been some foresight.

They also originally intended that the head-level screens above each console would be constantly animated with data and information displays instead of just the static images we got, but they had to cancel that idea because union rules said that every rear projector needed to have its own projectionist hired.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 1, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

A bit ago I was dwelling on LeVar Burton being under appreciated, in general, for a career & life spent doing amazing things for an entire planet

Anyway, long story short,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyrJ7P7gcA

that audiobook is free on amazon prime right now and he and a lot of other great people helped voice it

:shrug: i didnt really want to make a thread about this one particular grievance and didnt know anywhere else to post this where somebody might appreciate it

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Anyone else want to slingshot around the sun for a chance at this?

https://twitter.com/alisonmartino/status/1300622921623244800?s=20

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Zurui posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how Barclay passed the Starfleet Academy entrance exam psych eval. The Academy proctors made Wesley think he left someone to die, just for chance to enter Starfleet Academy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

some people just dont test well :shrug:

some do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A comedy of errors where Barclay is tipped off by an upperclassman that he might get thrown a surprise exam Kobayashi Maru and if something super intense and scary happens, just assume it's a simulation. A bunch of actual crises occur on campus, and he greets and conquers each one with the decisive poise and assuredness of a holodeck power fantasy.