Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I suspect as well the newer connectors can deliver more power, and although not needed for now, Nvidia is simply paving the way for future cards in a generation or two that absolutely require the newer connection standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Det_no posted:

Vlambeer, developers behind Nuclear Throne and Downwell, is dead. And to celebrate (?) they are doing a really good sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/vlambeer10

Does anybody know the story behind this? I have to imagine that they are reasonably successful from Nuclear Throne alone, I see people talking about that game on this forum all the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Does anybody know the story behind this? I have to imagine that they are reasonably successful from Nuclear Throne alone, I see people talking about that game on this forum all the time.

I kind of have to wonder if giving away millions of free copies bit them in the rear end there.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 1, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/1/21409388/vlambeer-10-year-anniversary-ultrabugs-super-crate-box-break-up

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Anonymous Robot posted:

So far it occupies a weird place where it’s like, showing me things I remember from the 90’s and I’m like, yeah that was goofy, ha ha. But it doesn’t add anything- there isn’t a punchline.

Like, one of the sites is just straight up reviews of fictional albums, and sure, one of the artists is named “chowder man,” but it isn’t really a joke of any kind.

Remember when the Barkley 2 demo dropped and it was all po-faced misery about concentration camps and that was just sorta all there was to it, like that was supposed to be absurd enough to be funny on its own? It’s similar to that.

To me Hypnospace Outlaw is brilliant just for so effectively capturing the inherent absurdity of Geocities, possibly even pre-Geocities era web design and online socialization shenanigans, using entirely original assets. Most of the actual punchlines are written between the lines (like the guy early on with the bad attitude, Zach or whoever, who keeps talking about his girlfriend, but if you find her webpage and use your admin powers it's heavily implied it's just Zach sockpuppeting).

Some really weird and much more heavily fictionalized poo poo does start happening later into the game though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Hardware manufacturers delight in watching people struggle for hours to put in tiny little screws and plug in all the little motherboard connectors. It gives them great pleasure.

stock coolers are still the most sadistic thing to install.

that said, the size of the new connector is reason enough to like it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that article is crazy to me. Why would you not be friends? You've spent all day with one another for the past ten years.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

Why would you not be friends? You've spent all day with one another for the past ten years.

is this sarcasm

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's the highlighting of it. It's like the focus of the article is that they're not friends. I guess that's why they're breaking up.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ic-publishing-bundle

The $12 tier looks tempting to me. Fell Seal is a good game, if not somewhat overlong, but if you like SRPGs, it's one of the better ones on Steam. The DLC is pretty good too, especially if you want to do a pokemaster run. How are Deep Sky Derelict and Conglomerate 451 (and I guess the other games in the bundle)?

Deep Sky Derelict is pretty decent for an indie sci fi Darkest Dungeon ripoff. It also has a neat slavpunk flavour that I appreciated. I got bored about 25-ish hours in, but it's worth the price of admission.

It's nice the DLC is included, I only played the base game (from a previous bundle) but I assume it's an improvement.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Saoshyant posted:

The writing's been on the wall for a long while now, but I guess the indie revolution is truly dead. Vlambeer's just the latest to pack up and leave.

When the mobile space got too crowded, Steam Greenlight (in the distant year of 2013) became the lifeboat for all important indies of the time because its public curation system ensured anything good was given a fair shake. Then the floodgates were opened and anyone and their uncle could now be on Steam, overcrowding the space 'til nothing relatively unknown can be found these days. The Playstation Vita ecosystem then offered a bit of space to many of the more serious indies since that system had a ridiculous attachment rate among its users in spite of being a commercial flop. Then there was a moment when the Nintendo Switch showed up (2017) and its eShop was so bare while its users were so loose with money that indies started making really good money again, but even that didn't last long because eventually it overflooded and now indies have to resort to tricks like having constant 80% sales to even show up.

There's just not enough room in this hobby for the ridiculous amount of indie games out there. You needed only to get that itch.io BLM bundle with over 1000 games from a couple of months ago to realize there's so much out there that it's impossible for each game to get enough attention and followers. And those 1000+ games are nothing compared to what comes out year after year.

For every runaway success like Shovel Knight, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Nights in the Wood, or FNAF there were a million other games that fell through, many deservedly so, but not all. And it's only got worse with time.

Every week, Fanatical does a new indie bundle full of games nobody ever heard about. Humble Bundle tries to fill their monthly offers with whatever they can find. Those are the "lucky" ones, the ones that get paid fractions of cents for every purchase. Everyone else just fades away.

Sorry for going this long, but this topic has always been personal to me. I grew up during the micro-computer craze in Europe where anyone could be a game developer/publisher. That pretty much died out during the 90's and most of the 00's. 2008/09 and onwards sort of restarted that trend and I liked it a lot. I mean, there will always be indies, but there was a time that Jeff Minter was the exception to the rule, not the standard, and I imagine we are now heading to a time where only the future Minters will bother to remain around -- with all that's good and bad about that.

While this is a good look at this, I mean, the book market has been suffering from this forever and it's still doing okay.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, it's a 1C bundle and there are no King's Bounty games.

End of an era.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Anonymous Robot posted:

So far it occupies a weird place where it’s like, showing me things I remember from the 90’s and I’m like, yeah that was goofy, ha ha. But it doesn’t add anything- there isn’t a punchline.

Like, one of the sites is just straight up reviews of fictional albums, and sure, one of the artists is named “chowder man,” but it isn’t really a joke of any kind.

Remember when the Barkley 2 demo dropped and it was all po-faced misery about concentration camps and that was just sorta all there was to it, like that was supposed to be absurd enough to be funny on its own? It’s similar to that.

Very little of the content was written to be "haha" funny or even reference much from the 1990s outside of maybe Squisherz as a Pokemon-esque thing, Prof Helper being a Bonzi buddy, and the Ishkur's Guide nod. There's intentional humor in the idiosyncrasies of some of the characters and I guess some satire re: Merchantsoft and their trajectory as a poorly managed web startup as the story progresses, but we went out of our way to avoid referential humor or using any particular page as a punchline. It's probably better to look at it all as a dot com era period piece full of very mundane lore and occasionally silly characters.

vvv - That's cool! It's not for everyone. Glad you enjoyed elements of it. :0)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 1, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gaspy Conana posted:

Very little of the content was written to be "haha" funny or even reference much from the 1990s outside of maybe Squisherz as a Pokemon-esque thing, Prof Helper being a Bonzi buddy, and the Ishkur's Guide nod. There's intentional humor in the idiosyncrasies of some of the characters and I guess some satire re: Merchantsoft and their trajectory as a poorly managed web startup as the story progresses, but we went out of our way to avoid referential humor or using any particular page as a punchline. It's probably better to look at it all as a dot com era period piece full of very mundane lore and occasionally silly characters.

Thanks for the insight. I think that I saw some highlights from the game posted by other players and expected a different tone and experience than the game delivers. I don’t think the game is for me as someone that actually does clerical work on a computer all day to make a living.

That being said, I do think that it’s a singular work and it is rather fascinating to have this fictional world that feels very much like looking into a living, parallel reality. And the music is excellent, also. I just don’t think it’s the title I need right now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Probably just tired of it and each other. I imagine at some point you just settle for calling it quits.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saoshyant posted:

There's just not enough room in this hobby for the ridiculous amount of indie games out there. You needed only to get that itch.io BLM bundle with over 1000 games from a couple of months ago to realize there's so much out there that it's impossible for each game to get enough attention and followers. And those 1000+ games are nothing compared to what comes out year after year.

Someone asked while that bundle was going on what it would mean going forward that millions of people would all have had access to the same thousand games through that. It's interesting how immediately the answer became "nothing".

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

No Wave posted:

that article is crazy to me. Why would you not be friends? You've spent all day with one another for the past ten years.

I feel like this is a European/American culture gap, though maybe you’ll prove me an idiot by not being from the US. I feel like there’s a much stronger messaging that work is what do you do out of love, that the long hours and teamwork should extend into something beyond that normal collegiality. It’s the kind of attitude that keeps labor salaries in the games industry so low.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I envy the people who have apparently never had to work for many years in the intimate company of people they don't like!

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Not even dislike, with like 80% of people I find them perfectly amiable for a bit but I'm not particularly interested in talking to them for an extended period of time about non work subjects. And vice versa in most cases, luckily. And there's nothing wrong with that! I hate work outings where everyone is made to interact with everyone because some people think everyone needs to be everyone's friend.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

The writing's been on the wall for a long while now, but I guess the indie revolution is truly dead. Vlambeer's just the latest to pack up and leave.

When the mobile space got too crowded, Steam Greenlight (in the distant year of 2013) became the lifeboat for all important indies of the time because its public curation system ensured anything good was given a fair shake. Then the floodgates were opened and anyone and their uncle could now be on Steam, overcrowding the space 'til nothing relatively unknown can be found these days. The Playstation Vita ecosystem then offered a bit of space to many of the more serious indies since that system had a ridiculous attachment rate among its users in spite of being a commercial flop. Then there was a moment when the Nintendo Switch showed up (2017) and its eShop was so bare while its users were so loose with money that indies started making really good money again, but even that didn't last long because eventually it overflooded and now indies have to resort to tricks like having constant 80% sales to even show up.

For every runaway success like Shovel Knight, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Nights in the Wood, or FNAF there were a million other games that fell through, many deservedly so, but not all. And it's only got worse with time.

Every week, Fanatical does a new indie bundle full of games nobody ever heard about. Humble Bundle tries to fill their monthly offers with whatever they can find. Those are the "lucky" ones, the ones that get paid fractions of cents for every purchase. Everyone else just fades away.

Sorry for going this long, but this topic has always been personal to me. I grew up during the micro-computer craze in Europe where anyone could be a game developer/publisher. That pretty much died out during the 90's and most of the 00's. 2008/09 and onwards sort of restarted that trend and I liked it a lot. I mean, there will always be indies, but there was a time that Jeff Minter was the exception to the rule, not the standard, and I imagine we are now heading to a time where only the future Minters will bother to remain around -- with all that's good and bad about that.

agreed, in 2020 a time where indies are firmly making the best games in the industry and are almost all im playing, theyre now dead

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

No Wave posted:

It's the highlighting of it. It's like the focus of the article is that they're not friends. I guess that's why they're breaking up.

As someone who has worked with family and known many, many people who have started businesses with / employed / worked for friends all I can say is :lol:

A surefire way to destroy personal relationships is to go into business with your friends or family. I literally haven't talked to my brother in a decade because of working with him. People I know who were friends for years don't talk to each other anymore due to business troubles. Probably one of the main reasons Vlambeer made it to ten years is that they weren't friends. Don't go into business with your friends, folks!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stux posted:

agreed, in 2020 a time where indies are firmly making the best games in the industry and are almost all im playing, theyre now dead

F

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Stux posted:

I think the post is more about how hard it is to make it as a non-superstar indie developer. Being anything less than the indie darling of the year means you get basically nothing for what may be years of work.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

sirtommygunn posted:

I think the post is more about how hard it is to make it as a non-superstar indie developer. Being anything less than the indie darling of the year means you get basically nothing for what may be years of work.

while i don't think it's anywhere near as dire, our situation right now seems to mirror the end of the shareware era in the late 1990s. formerly scrappy publishers/developers who attained success grew larger, distribution models changed, etc. that 10 year stretch from 1998 to 2008 was a bit of a commercial dark age for anything made by a small, independent team. (unless you had a super dedicated niche following like Spiderweb Software perhaps?)

as difficult as it may be to land a deal now relative to 5 yrs ago, at least there are several indie publishers out there still signing interesting looking projects from virtual unknowns. kickstarters still routinely succeed too.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The Vlambeer work dynamic sounds kinda like the Mythbusters work dynamic. Years after the fact people are still amazed that Adam and Jamie, despite complementing each other really well for the experiments they did on the show and also as a comic relief and straight man duo, didn't actually like being around each other and never hung out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's very rare for two people to want to spend 8+ hours a day with each other for 10+ years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Explorer posted:

It's very rare for two people to want to spend 8+ hours a day with each other for 10+ years.

You're telling me, just ask my wife!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Saoshyant posted:

pretty sure they just shut down because the two founders cant stand each other actually

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't see a thread for it, but did anyone pick up Iron Harvest? I've been following development but missed the kickstarter, and I love Scythe and the world its set in. I look at reviews and most people seem to have issues with it not being as robust multiplayer (Jesus christ, is ranked MP that important?) as promised, but there's some mentions of janky movement and pathing not being great. As someone with like 500 hours combined in the Company of Heroes games i'm pretty used to units making the worth decisions when you tell them to move.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ic-publishing-bundle

The $12 tier looks tempting to me. Fell Seal is a good game, if not somewhat overlong, but if you like SRPGs, it's one of the better ones on Steam. The DLC is pretty good too, especially if you want to do a pokemaster run. How are Deep Sky Derelict and Conglomerate 451 (and I guess the other games in the bundle)?
Personally, I'd say that Fell Seal and Stygian are the only two games this bundle would really all that much be worth getting for. Deep Sky Derelict is not very good. It has an interesting concept, but it's repetitive beyond words. I tried playing it and I was entertained for about three hours before I realized the game was just making me do the same thing over and over.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stygian is real bad

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I haven't played Stygian, just read the LP but it seems like a horrible buggy badly written mess.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, the beta felt super loose and not all too great, but it's getting good reviews?

You can thank Blizzard and Westwood being held up as examples of good RTS developers for decades after it wasn't true anymore for that.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SirSamVimes posted:

I haven't played Stygian, just read the LP but it seems like a horrible buggy badly written mess.
It pretty much is, but at least it tries to do something interesting.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, but did anyone pick up Iron Harvest? I've been following development but missed the kickstarter, and I love Scythe and the world its set in. I look at reviews and most people seem to have issues with it not being as robust multiplayer (Jesus christ, is ranked MP that important?) as promised, but there's some mentions of janky movement and pathing not being great. As someone with like 500 hours combined in the Company of Heroes games i'm pretty used to units making the worth decisions when you tell them to move.
Unfortunately, it looks like you missed the demo they had available back in June. It was enough to completely unsell the game for me, it was a CoH clone but worse in pretty much every way. It doesn't even capture the dieselpunk aesthetic very well, I found the visuals brown, muted, and uninteresting. The mechs don't have much of a sense of presence either, basically behaving like an alternative skin for tanks. The AI was really janky, infantry units can have issues getting into cover or returning fire for no obvious reason. It was just so underwhelming in all aspects. Maybe they fixed things up for the full release, but the demo was pretty bad and only a couple months old.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some more info on those Nvidia power connectors. Asus has pics of the first iterations on the 3000 series. Their flagshop ROG cards will use an 8-pin x 3 power config, while the more basic cards like the TUF Gaming brand will use an 8-pin x 2. So solid proof of a 3rd party card vendor going with the old style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's one hell of a power draw. I don't think my PSU even has enough connectors to supply that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So solid proof of a 3rd party card vendor going with the old style.

The 3rd parties have all announced their stuff and it's all 2x8pin or 3x8pin, FE cards are the only ones using the 12-pin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the cards are coming with adapters and your PSU has the wattage then what’s the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So are you losing out on something with just the 8-pin or what?