Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
no one says "making groceries" outside of south Louisiana. it's a direct translation of the french words for grocery shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1300418309683400707?s=20

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Matt addresses the alleged use of uppers during his streams in his latest upload. Congrats to the goon who in the absence of poop to touch, created some! :thumbsup:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Matt addresses the alleged use of uppers during his streams in his latest upload.

Does he?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

No nobody with a functioning brain says that.

Are you willing to fight for a person you don’t know as much as you’re willing to fight for yourself? Sure, yeah, but if they have any dialacts or food preferences that are different from mine they're basically subhuman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Are you willing to fight for a person you don’t know as much as you’re willing to fight for yourself? Sure, yeah, but if they have any dialacts or food preferences that are different from mine they're basically subhuman.

Any place that refers to sunshowers as "the devil beating his wife" or refers to all soda as "coke" should be scoured from the Earth.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Felix is really good on Wardells show

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Does anyone know what the name of the book about Bush is that has Felix obsessed over him? I think Felix mentioned it in a podcast or tweet but I can't remember it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

adebisi lives posted:

Does anyone know what the name of the book about Bush is that has Felix obsessed over him? I think Felix mentioned it in a podcast or tweet but I can't remember it.

Family of Secrets

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Secrets-Americas-Invisible-Government/dp/1608190064

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Matt addresses the alleged use of uppers during his streams in his latest upload. Congrats to the goon who in the absence of poop to touch, created some! :thumbsup:

lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, but has he stopped divorcing his wife?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

yeah man

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe I'm outing myself as a dirty lib, but I don't agree with Mr. Chapo's discounting of the effect of Russian "interference" or "collusion." That it happened is pretty much a matter of fact after the senate report was released. The quibble is whether it was the determining factor in the election and I can see how the entrenched democrats would want to lean on that to avoid confronting that Clinton sucked rear end as a candidate and had thirty years of baggage.

But fomenting unrest? Electoral sabotage? Why wouldnt they?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When you're running against the dumbest man alive it shouldn't be close enough that some Facebook memes tipped the balance.

Any "Russian interference" was them pressing on self-inflicted wounds. It's not like they created Fox News zombies. It's not like them having botnets retweeting phony poo poo renders the people who buy it stupid those people were already stupid.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Proust Malone posted:

Maybe I'm outing myself as a dirty lib, but I don't agree with Mr. Chapo's discounting of the effect of Russian "interference" or "collusion." That it happened is pretty much a matter of fact after the senate report was released. The quibble is whether it was the determining factor in the election and I can see how the entrenched democrats would want to lean on that to avoid confronting that Clinton sucked rear end as a candidate and had thirty years of baggage.

Unrest was fomenting for years inside the United States already and the Democratic Party engaged in the most blatant electoral sabotage since the 2004 general this year so.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Groovelord Neato posted:

When you're running against the dumbest man alive it shouldn't be close enough that some Facebook memes tipped the balance. Any "Russian interference" was them pressing on self-inflicted wounds.

Plus there's no way they outspent the Clinton campaign. If $1.4b isn't enough to outmaneuver a bunch of Facebook and Twitter bot accounts, then that candidate deserves to lose.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if our electoral system is so weak that it’s so easily susceptible to outside sabotage then it’s still on us. that’s interior rot. the fact that half of people don’t vote and the choices offered are so laughable isn’t russian interference, and it makes russian interference so low on the list of things that are wrong with elections that i find it impossible to give a poo poo about it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Proust Malone posted:

Oh no Russia spend some money on a bunch of facebook memes, elections ruined.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

considering what we did to russian elections in the 90s i wish them luck. we deserve it. honestly they need to up their game, if anything

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Proust Malone posted:

the massive difference between 'Russia bought some facebook ads that were pro trump' and the way the libs/media speaks about 'interference' as if the KGB will be literally changing ballots is why nobody with half a brain respects it as a narrative.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

THS posted:

if our electoral system is so weak that it’s so easily susceptible to outside sabotage then it’s still on us. that’s interior rot. the fact that half of people don’t vote and the choices offered are so laughable isn’t russian interference, and it makes russian interference so low on the list of things that are wrong with elections that i find it impossible to give a poo poo about it

I think of it more like Kissinger telling the North Vietnamese not to sign the peace deal in 68. Foreign "interference" or manipulation that leads to an electoral shift

sexpig by night posted:

the massive difference between 'Russia bought some facebook ads that were pro trump' and the way the libs/media speaks about 'interference' as if the KGB will be literally changing ballots is why nobody with half a brain respects it as a narrative.

See that's the minimization I'm talking about. It wasn't just an ad buy.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 1, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Proust Malone posted:

If it went the other way and they helped Clinton win would you still give a poo poo?

Hacking voting machines to display fraudulent vote totals is election interference. Posting memes? lmao gtfo dnc, that is some Sore Loserman poo poo. They ought to post harder next time :allears:

Let's dispense with this fiction that the United States needs any help sucking rear end

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Proust Malone posted:

I think of it more like Kissinger telling the North Vietnamese not to sign the peace deal in 68. Foreign "interference" or manipulation that leads to an electoral shift

I mean if you think "buying some Facebook ads" is comparable to "deliberately prolonging a war for political advantage, resulting in the death of a million people" then you could call them both foreign interference. I wouldn't, though. That's hosed up

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Proust Malone posted:

Then what was it. What did they do, exactly, apart from ad buys and twitter bots

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The essential disconnect is whether or not you think that America was pretty much fine in 2016.

If you think that Trump represented a schism and broke down the world that came before him, then you probably think Russian interference matters.
If you think the US was already terrible and 2016 was just a confirmation of the institutional rot and general malaise, then it didn't matter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Russiagate is basically the Qanon of the libs, taking a relatively simple fact (foreign interests spend money on ads during elections, predators in position of wealth and power use that to prey on people without consequence) and extrapolating nonsensical narratives from them that let you handwave everyone when disagrees with or challenges you as a Russian asset or deep state sicko. To the point where they're converging on each other and Russiagaters are accusing Qanon of being an ARG run by Russians.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
The last two TrueAnon episodes have me shaken

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DukeDuke posted:

The last two TrueAnon episodes have me shaken

Yeah the Epstein stuff is hosed up. It’s kinda like global warming, in that the more you learn about it the more apparent it becomes that the problem runs so much deeper than you could have ever possibly imagined, and it’s all rooted in events from hundreds, potentially thousands of years ago.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

lol

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 1, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crane Fist posted:

Then what was it. What did they do, exactly, apart from ad buys and twitter bots

In addition to ad buys, the full Russiagate narrative is that a Russian intelligence agency sent the phishing email to John Podesta, which he clicked on giving them access to the email archive, which they then sent to Assange allowing the Hillary leaks. That's a more significant case of interference than some dumb ads on Facebook, but even then I find it hard to care. The archive didn't reveal anything that wasn't already obvious to anyone on the fence about voting. Clinton and her staffers viewed Sanders as an intruder in their party and generally understood that you feed the public a line that sounds good and then do something else in practice. The stuff about propping up Trump because he would be an easy opponent looks bad in hindsight but still isn't all that significant.

Even taking the full narrative as true it's still way down the list on things I would blame for Trump's win. Comey reopening the FBI investigation right before the election was likely more significant. The very existence of the Electoral College system is still the most significant factor and means that any US election is inherently illegitimate if it comes down to that. It's not like the US is incapable of counting the popular vote but some lines on the map take priority.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

According to the Republican Senate it was a...collusion... of information release with the puropose of controlling media narratives. Russia hacked the DNC, or rather some dumbass at the dnc stepped on a rake and gave up their passwords. Then between Roger Stone, Manafort, and Wikileaks, they released info to feed the trump campaign narrative, or even respond to other poo poo. Like releasing podesta info to chaff up the news following the "grab them by the pussy" leak. It was....shall we say...an info war.

Sleeveless posted:

Russiagate is basically the Qanon of the libs,

And it's this except instead of Q drops we have a report out of the republican controlled senate and multiple convictions,

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that the Trump Admin would concern itself with such secrecy is so ludicrous when confronted with *gestures at every single successive day of the Trump Administration*

These people have the subtlety of a goose crashing through a windshield.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

finally, the validation you've been craving :bisonyes:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

finally, the validation you've been craving :bisonyes:

I will not rest until he attends my birthday party.

Proust Malone posted:

So what if they are? At this point both east and west are so committed to maintaining the world order / capitalism that all politics essentially boils down to "office politics". The dems made it a huge moral issue, but powerful interests are putting their thumbs on the scale for their benefit all the time. Democracy is a lie and the Dem outrage is mostly theater and probably some sour grapes because when they lose they and their benefactors get a somewhat smaller share of the loot all sides are plundering from the working class.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the Epstein stuff is hosed up. It’s kinda like global warming, in that the more you learn about it the more apparent it becomes that the problem runs so much deeper than you could have ever possibly imagined, and it’s all rooted in events from hundreds, potentially thousands of years ago.

I meant the last two episodes about libertarianism as a plot to destroy democracy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Proust Malone posted:

lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
thotsky/Christman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip50c3_IOPg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Proust Malone posted:

You ever wonder why Kemp stealing the election in Georgia got pretty much no media play?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There is difficulty in holding any nation to account, criminally speaking, particularly when the US regularly flouts international law. How can the US expect to successfully prosecute other nations under legislation it itself has not signed or ratified or laws that it itself does not respect?

Russiagate accusers are operating from the view that the US is infallible while simultaneously its processes are able to be completely undermined by second world nations. It's so stupid of a contradiction that it almost doesn't bear mentioning.

All of this is to say nothing of the fact that for some reason, there was/is a warhawk faction of Democrats salivating for at least a proxy war against Russia- it seemed like all but a campaign promise that tensions would increase to boiling if they won. Now it's gone the other way because the Republicans are racist and the Chinese look less like us than the Russians (though that is admittedly oversimplifying things a great deal), but even with blaming China for covid and all the calls to do something, no policymaker in office is stupid enough to suggest outright war. And if we can't or won't "punish" China for the virus which has completely upended Western life while China goes back to business-as-usual, what the gently caress were we planning to go after Russia for? What was their crime? Not being broken enough by the neoliberal reforms of the 90s?

If you are able to consider international politics from the perspective of someone from whatever country the US is opposing in its relations at any given moment (almost all of them), it becomes much clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I guess some people might not be aware that the US has had a lengthy history of interfering with and destroying democracy around the world and the only correct way to interpret it (if it were even true) is it's chickens coming home to roost

:d2a: